• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Matlock Friendly

#161 User is offline   SuperJackyLester 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 July 2021 - 08:49 AM

People cant moan about much at a pre season friendly surely. Aren't they just a chance to get match fitness, try new formations and tactics and also look at a few new faces.

#162 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:05 AM

View Postwhittman, on 22 July 2021 - 08:41 AM, said:

An enjoyable evening in the sunshine

Yep, one or two impressions forming....

Miller is no wingback. He's a wide man forrad who reminds me of Donal McDermott. I'm not sure whether he will be a starter when Clarke is fit. So we've got no competition for Whittle except Maguire, which might be an option.

Grimes can play RHS.

Praise due to McCourt for his commitment to getting fit.

It's a bit worrying that Carline was playing on last season with an injury that has affected his pre-season.

King will provide a welcome increase in final ball quality from the right I doubt whether he can match Carline defensively.

Payne's not my cup of tea. Too stupid to work out that outward shows of aggression are counter- productive. Bad for the team and the club.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#163 User is online   azul 

• Legend

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:06 AM

View Postdtp, on 22 July 2021 - 08:38 AM, said:

Smith was fine when playing behind a strong defence which left him with little to no saves to make. Once teams started to breach that defence he showed weaknesses and made mistakes which resulted in him losing his place to Montgomery.

Montgomery made his debut to a chorus of being slow, not good enough, and "what has Smith done wrong". He went on to prove to be a decent keeper and deserving to play instead of Smith. Rather than getting uptight about letting Smith go I would prefer to know why Montgomery hasn't been offered anything. There may well be good reasons on both sides, though.

So far, I admit, I haven't seen Loach in a town shirt but I have seen him play well for other teams. As such, I will await judgement and to see who our second keeper will be.

No keeper looks good behind a chaotic defence and that was what it was at Hartlepool . Looking back at those goals and the following game against Torquay I wouldn’t say there was any individual error on his part

As far as last nights goal is concerned there is a still on the Matlock Twitter feed showing him diving at the time the ball entered the net just inside the post

This post has been edited by azul: 22 July 2021 - 09:17 AM

Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#164 User is offline   TheMatlockFan 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:25 AM

I tell you what, that Rowe goal last night may be one for the goal of the season contender list already, if your lads can keep finding him on edge of area then he is going to score some goals, we could have had ten keepers in goal and we weren't saving that.

I thought Chesterfield played well, moved the ball about with confidence and weren't afraid to run at our defense, there was a few iffy moments in the backline but that's just lack of sharpness from game time and will come back. No doubt in my mind that you will be challenging this season for promotion and I truly hope you guys do as you deserve it as fanbase.

A fantastic evening overall, never like losing games but when goals like that are getting scored (Tyson's wasn't bad either!) then you just have to say fair play.

We do hope to continue to see some of you throughout the season if the Spireites are away, you guys and girls are always welcome and a real pleasure to host.

#165 User is offline   To the Winchester 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2021 - 09:43 AM

Some of you really need to get over Smith. He wasn't even that good. Pryzbek was better.

Blaming loach for the free kick... it went over our wall and into the corner... sometimes you just have to say good goal. None of our keepers last season would have saved it. Give the man a chance.

#166 User is offline   OneDecentLester 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:10 AM

View PostTo the Winchester, on 22 July 2021 - 09:43 AM, said:

Some of you really need to get over Smith. He wasn't even that good. Pryzbek was better.

Blaming loach for the free kick... it went over our wall and into the corner... sometimes you just have to say good goal. None of our keepers last season would have saved it. Give the man a chance.

I don’t get the love in with Smith either. Loach’s pedigree/experience is an absolute level above that of Smith’s, and there are people writing him off because he’s let a couple of goals in that are probably just down to a little lack of sharpness at this stage of pre season…

Why is it that outfielders are cut some slack for lacking a bit of sharpness during pre season, but when it’s a goalkeeper they’re expected to be bang in form from the get go? Very, very strange

#167 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:35 AM

View Postdim view, on 22 July 2021 - 09:05 AM, said:

Miller is no wingback. He's a wide man forrad who reminds me of Donal McDermott. I'm not sure whether he will be a starter when Clarke is fit. So we've got no competition for Whittle except Maguire, which might be an option.

Grimes can play RHS.

Praise due to McCourt for his commitment to getting fit.

It's a bit worrying that Carline was playing on last season with an injury that has affected his pre-season.

King will provide a welcome increase in final ball quality from the right I doubt whether he can match Carline defensively.

Payne's not my cup of tea. Too stupid to work out that outward shows of aggression are counter- productive. Bad for the team and the club.

I'm not writing either of our new wing backs off yet - expecting players to get up and down the field all game long is a bit much in those conditions. They both look nippy, which will do at this stage.
Fairly impressed by every body, in view of the heat and the lack of sharpness, though Payne looks a bit voatile, as expected. Big job for JR to calm him down, or we'll be playing a striker short for a few games.
I thought the triallist at right of the defence looked worth another game at least. Tyson looked the fittest player on the field, and good for another couple of years.

This post has been edited by h again: 22 July 2021 - 10:36 AM

#168 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:37 AM

View PostTo the Winchester, on 22 July 2021 - 09:43 AM, said:

Pryzbek did not play better for us than Smith did. I disagree with that assertion in the strongest possible terms.
These go to eleven.

#169 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:37 AM

View Postdim view, on 22 July 2021 - 09:05 AM, said:

If you watch Millers welcoming interview when he talks of his game, he never mentions defensive duties. In answer to what do you bring, it’s, per him, basically ‘taking men on, shots, crosses, express myself, and energy’. Best attributes, fast and skilful, taking people on, get in crosses and shots.

#170 User is online   monte 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:50 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 22 July 2021 - 10:37 AM, said:

If you watch Millers welcoming interview when he talks of his game, he never mentions defensive duties. In answer to what do you bring, it’s, per him, basically ‘taking men on, shots, crosses, express myself, and energy’. Best attributes, fast and skilful, taking people on, get in crosses and shots.

Miller was signed as a "better Joel Taylor" so from what people are saying he's better going forward and as about as good defensively lol

#171 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 22 July 2021 - 10:50 AM

View Postmonte, on 22 July 2021 - 10:50 AM, said:

Miller was signed as a "better Joel Taylor" so from what people are saying he's better going forward and as about as good defensively lol

Having watched him for [however long he was on the pitch last night] I'm confident in saying he won't be as good as Taylor defensively (who I don't think was as bad as people make out).

#172 User is offline   To the Winchester 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2021 - 11:34 AM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 22 July 2021 - 10:37 AM, said:

Pryzbek did not play better for us than Smith did. I disagree with that assertion in the strongest possible terms.

We were surprised when he was dropped for Smith. All I'm saying is he's being looked at through rose tinted specs.

#173 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 22 July 2021 - 11:56 AM

View PostGoku, on 21 July 2021 - 09:07 PM, said:

Walked into ground and Tyson smashes ball into his face. He came over and was very apologetic though, nice of him.

He's sending my lad some boots and a shirt, top fella

#174 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:20 PM

View PostGoku, on 22 July 2021 - 11:56 AM, said:

He's sending my lad some boots and a shirt, top fella

Excellent news, I hope he’s fully recovered after his goal line clearance!
East stand second class citizen.

#175 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:24 PM

View PostTo the Winchester, on 22 July 2021 - 11:34 AM, said:

We were surprised when he was dropped for Smith. All I'm saying is he's being looked at through rose tinted specs.

I was not a fan of PRyz.did not look anything special. Monty and Smith were 2 top keepers at this level.
lindave

#176 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:27 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 22 July 2021 - 01:20 PM, said:

Excellent news, I hope he’s fully recovered after his goal line clearance!

Might see if I can push him in front of a stray shot and bag a couple of season tickets

#177 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:27 PM

View Posth again, on 22 July 2021 - 10:35 AM, said:

I'm not writing either of our new wing backs off yet - expecting players to get up and down the field all game long is a bit much in those conditions. They both look nippy, which will do at this stage.
Fairly impressed by every body, in view of the heat and the lack of sharpness, though Payne looks a bit voatile, as expected. Big job for JR to calm him down, or we'll be playing a striker short for a few games.
I thought the triallist at right of the defence looked worth another game at least. Tyson looked the fittest player on the field, and good for another couple of years.

THE GOOD, THE BAD AND THE UGLY OF THE MATLOCK FIXTURE.

Generally we look to have a better all round squad with similar depth, Having watched the 2 friendlies overall I'm very optimistic.

Up top we still don't have an equivalent Asanti threat, Payne has all the atributes of Asanti but Jesus is he worth putting our hopes on. Very aggressive, stupid fouls in front of the ref when we are in good positions and then argues the point unmercifully. Every time he went near the ball the ref invariably blew up against him.

Two direct free kicks resulting in goals against, the defence and Loach have to get things sorted. Friendlies I know but conceeding goals against lower league teams doesn't give one confidence. Wins are built on solid defence, we've a lot of work to do. Sorry to have to say this but with the midfield we now have Joe Rowley will feature few and far between.
God I hate this league.

#178 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:41 PM

View PostGoku, on 22 July 2021 - 01:27 PM, said:

Might see if I can push him in front of a stray shot and bag a couple of season tickets

I suppose you’ve told Tyson he takes an XL shirt and size 10 boots, after all he will grow into them!
East stand second class citizen.

#179 User is offline   CrossStreet62 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:Retired to my static caravan at the end of the drive.
  • Interests:My Family
    Living one day at a time for as long as I can
    Listening to the music that means so much to me

Posted 22 July 2021 - 01:51 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 21 July 2021 - 10:17 PM, said:

Having seen many Matlock v Town pre season friendlies that has to be the most competitive Matlock team I've seen. They should be on for a good season.

Does anyone sat behind the dugouts know what the handbag waving betwean JR and the Matlock manager, in the 2nd half was about?

Block check tackle on Manny which was so obvious and late . Think JR had had enough of the late stuff with obvious consequences of possible injuries. Certain expletives were passed between the managers. It was a competitive game and bore no resemblance to a pretty no silly stuff contact game. Their manager had already thrown the water bottle 3 times into the back of the dugout.. in his efforts to get his team into the game by showing they needed to be more competitive..he’s got a temper on him….all that happened was our lads started protecting themselves more forcefully to a point which is what you do when the ref is just going to have a word and no cards if it can be helped. We were by far the better team all game and controlled it comfortably..think there manager was hoping for another Mansfield result but they were outplayed.
"CFC is in my soul" "It's a way of life" "Keep The Faith" "A Spireite Till I Die"

#180 User is offline   CrossStreet62 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:Retired to my static caravan at the end of the drive.
  • Interests:My Family
    Living one day at a time for as long as I can
    Listening to the music that means so much to me

Posted 22 July 2021 - 02:04 PM

View Postjack bauer, on 22 July 2021 - 07:28 AM, said:

haven't seen loach yet and even though i've heard of him don't really know much about him, concerned about the comments people are making though, what are the concerns about him? such a key position to get right.

Massive experience..good character and great communicator..he’s only about at 60% ….keepers will look after themselves to a point especially at this time off pre season. He will be fine.73145Posted Image<br class="Apple-interchange-newline" style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;">73145Posted Image<br class="Apple-interchange-newline" style="-webkit-text-size-adjust: auto;">
"CFC is in my soul" "It's a way of life" "Keep The Faith" "A Spireite Till I Die"

Share this topic:

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users