• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Serious question To what level

#21 User is offline   Denny 

• First Team Player
  • Group: Admin

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:11 AM

View PostHaslandboi, on 20 December 2010 - 10:25 PM, said:

Probably, but I'm not sure if we can to be honest. Probably one for Denny to answer.

Looking through this thread, it shows how badly it gets abused.

We can allow people to have a certain number of plus or minus per day.
At the minute it is 3 -'s per day and something like 10 +'s

Still more people give out more minus's than plus's though! Also some critics of the system use it more than i expect.

I use eurogamer and on a site where there are lots of users posting infrequently and often posting rubbish and trolling, it sorts the rubbish out quickly. here we have a more cohesive community where people actually know each other, we can get the situation where people are judging the person rather than the post.
I'm tempted to scrap the negative ratings completely, but, this for me, this is spireite debate, we're supposed to be able to argue, but at the end of the day we are all supporting the same team. or at least supporting the game in the case of our opposition supporters.
At the end of the day I would rather please everyone but i know that isn't possible, but i would like to find a compromise.

Denny

#22 User is offline   Sprite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 December 2010 - 12:31 AM

I think just having a rep button would be a brilliant idea.

#23 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:49 AM

On the Android version of this board it's not a visible function anyway.

#24 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 21 December 2010 - 08:49 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 21 December 2010 - 07:49 AM, said:

On the Android version of this board it's not a visible function anyway.
i just put my high scoring figure down to the fact that i am allways correct ;)
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#25 User is offline   biglob 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Footy, birds, cheese, the universe, life and everything...in that order.

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:30 AM

View PostDenny, on 21 December 2010 - 12:11 AM, said:

Still more people give out more minus's than plus's though! Also some critics of the system use it more than i expect.

I use eurogamer and on a site where there are lots of users posting infrequently and often posting rubbish and trolling, it sorts the rubbish out quickly. here we have a more cohesive community where people actually know each other, we can get the situation where people are judging the person rather than the post.
I'm tempted to scrap the negative ratings completely, but, this for me, this is spireite debate, we're supposed to be able to argue, but at the end of the day we are all supporting the same team. or at least supporting the game in the case of our opposition supporters.
At the end of the day I would rather please everyone but i know that isn't possible, but i would like to find a compromise.

Denny

You and the other mods know who it is who's 'voting', right? So, if you wish it to be used to accurately reflect the fans on here's views of the posts, why not warn, then stop those who are clearly abusing it from being able to vote? If not, scrap it.

And I think you should PML Dema and tell him who's voting him down consistently - only a coward hides behind the keyboard. :ninja:

View Postbonnyman, on 21 December 2010 - 08:49 AM, said:

i just put my high scoring figure down to the fact that i am allways correct ;)

And just to prove my last point...I marked you down one, Bonnyman. Thought you needed taking down a peg!!! ;)
"Top of the league and we're having a laugh" - The Warfster 2011

#26 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:39 AM

View PostDenny, on 21 December 2010 - 12:11 AM, said:

Denny

Ah but the majority of ppl that are dishing minus points out to me DO NOT KNOW ME,they are judging an id an alias,if they are judging me as a person then they are deluded,i know there are a few that give me pluses and i am grateful to them,i do notice them as well,as for finding a compromise you will not find one........

#27 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:44 AM

View PostDema Reborn, on 21 December 2010 - 09:39 AM, said:

Ah but the majority of ppl that are dishing minus points out to me DO NOT KNOW ME,they are judging an id an alias,if they are judging me as a person then they are deluded,i know there are a few that give me pluses and i am grateful to them,i do notice them as well,as for finding a compromise you will not find one........

It's Christmas have a plus
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#28 User is offline   biglob 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Footy, birds, cheese, the universe, life and everything...in that order.

Posted 21 December 2010 - 09:50 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 21 December 2010 - 09:44 AM, said:

It's Christmas have a plus

You sod. That made me spit out my tea all over the computer screen! Merry Christmas! :ninja:
"Top of the league and we're having a laugh" - The Warfster 2011

#29 User is online   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:54 PM

View PostMark Jones, on 20 December 2010 - 10:25 PM, said:

Les,

Don't you think folk may be doing it to annoy you? Just to pass the time?

You shouldn't let it bother you as much as it does.

Doesn't bother me one bit. I hate it though when something is in front of me that I don't understand. I cannot understand when people make perfectly good valid positive posts and they get marked down. I also can't understand that the idiot who do it are unable to explain why they do it. Thats why they are idiots. Do you ever do anything that you have no explanation for? Thought not
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#30 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:00 PM

View Postfishini, on 22 December 2010 - 08:54 PM, said:

Doesn't bother me one bit. I hate it though when something is in front of me that I don't understand. I cannot understand when people make perfectly good valid positive posts and they get marked down. I also can't understand that the idiot who do it are unable to explain why they do it. Thats why they are idiots. Do you ever do anything that you have no explanation for? Thought not

Les don't let it bother you,if they see it bothers you then they will do it all the more,we have admins,moderators who are letting it happen,if i get stroppy then they have a go at me,you cannot win either way,so excuse my french and **** em.....

#31 User is online   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:39 PM

View PostDema Reborn, on 22 December 2010 - 09:00 PM, said:

Les don't let it bother you,if they see it bothers you then they will do it all the more,we have admins,moderators who are letting it happen,if i get stroppy then they have a go at me,you cannot win either way,so excuse my french and **** em.....

The Mods are very lax with some posters and their posts especially with one of them is a mod himself. It seems they treat everyone equally but some more equal than others. I have Keith always found it hard to tolerate these sort of people. People who cannot explain why they do what they do are in my eyes idiots.
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#32 User is offline   Denny 

• First Team Player

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:12 PM

I had a quick count up of running totals of what people give out the other day.
That was an eye opener. Some of the biggest critics of the system (not you fishi) are the people that give out the most minus'.
I'm also fairly sure someone has registered a separate account with which they don't post with just to negative one moderator.

Second accounts to troll are very much frowned upon. to put it mildly.

That's the bad side. On the positive; There are also people who don't post often that use the system (positively and negatively), which means they can contribute without sticking their heads above the parapet.

I'm thinking allowing everyone to see who is clicking the buttons as this might help stop the targeting of individuals.

Fishini, Dema as for you two moaning about whatever slight you feel is done against you. You both get into arguments with lots of people on here, fish you open say you wind people up, dema you have a go at anyone mentioning anything to do with man utd, you both have lots of leeway, given the amount, if we enforced the rules to the letter, there wouldn't be any discussion. all we ask is that the post is of a standard that anyone can read it and you don't resort to agressive personal attacks, or simply defame club staff or sponsors.

#33 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:23 PM

View PostDenny, on 22 December 2010 - 10:12 PM, said:

I had a quick count up of running totals of what people give out the other day.
That was an eye opener. Some of the biggest critics of the system (not you fishi) are the people that give out the most minus'.
I'm also fairly sure someone has registered a separate account with which they don't post with just to negative one moderator.

Second accounts to troll are very much frowned upon. to put it mildly.

That's the bad side. On the positive; There are also people who don't post often that use the system (positively and negatively), which means they can contribute without sticking their heads above the parapet.

I'm thinking allowing everyone to see who is clicking the buttons as this might help stop the targeting of individuals.

Fishini, Dema as for you two moaning about whatever slight you feel is done against you. You get into arguments with lots of people on here, dema you have a go at anyone mentioning anything to do with man utd, you have lots of leeway, given the amount, if we enforced the rules to the letter, there wouldn't be any discussion. all we ask is that the post is of a standard that anyone can read it and you don't resort to agressive personal attacks, or simply defame club staff or sponsors.

You are changing your tune here Denny,you have told me there are others that cause you more grief than what i do,and about 2/3 weeks ago i asked for my account deleting and you totally ignored me,i bet your inbox was full lol but doesn't the system tell you that,and no i don't want it deleting anymore i would rather pee those off that don't like me even more,on the Man Utd topic i do not start these threads but i will post in them if i think fit

#34 User is offline   Denny 

• First Team Player

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:57 PM

Keith, on that point, I didn't ignore you - i was moving house that week (i think it was the actual day) and was quite quite busy being up to my neck in furniture and boxes. I got the your PM via email on my phone and did stop what i was doing to make a call to one of the other mods, i thought, that you were probably just angry and wouldn't want to lose your contribution to the site (i certainly wouldn't want to lose it), so would give you some time to reconsider, i didn't have time to get on line on my mobile and drop you PM sorry about that. but by the time I got online it seemed like it had all blown over so just let it lie.

Ok, You don't give us that much trouble, i agree, i was adressing your comments in this thread, if you say F em to me and the other volunteers on here, would you expect me say nothing?

As you said, if you are happy to get into a bit of banter on the topic we won't mention, that's fine, but you have to expect a small percentage of your posts made an argument said at night might when read with fresh eyes cross the line when you consider kids read the board. thats normally why things get deleted.

I would ask that you give hasland and moondog some slack though, I like to think that the established mods are fairly good at working with everyone individually, we've all had conversations with many of you for more than 5 years. so we know most of peoples views on various subjects, like what gets deleted or not, and how we handle certain situations, because we've dealt with most things together. Josh and Mark are still getting used to our curmudgeonly methods, but i can't think of a decision they have made so far is something I would back to the hilt.

I'm going to shift this to the message board issues section.

I would like to get your view on the best path to take on this reputation system though. If you could see which people where marking you down do you think that would stop the bitchy negative clicks?

#35 User is offline   Spire Power 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:04 PM

View PostDenny, on 22 December 2010 - 10:57 PM, said:

Keith, on that point, I didn't ignore you - i was moving house that week (i think it was the actual day) and was quite quite busy being up to my neck in furniture and boxes. I got the your PM via email on my phone and did stop what i was doing to make a call to one of the other mods, i thought, that you were probably just angry and wouldn't want to lose your contribution to the site (i certainly wouldn't want to lose it), so would give you some time to reconsider, i didn't have time to get on line on my mobile and drop you PM sorry about that. but by the time I got online it seemed like it had all blown over so just let it lie.

Ok, You don't give us that much trouble, i agree, i was adressing your comments in this thread, if you say F em to me and the other volunteers on here, would you expect me say nothing?

As you said, if you are happy to get into a bit of banter on the topic we won't mention, that's fine, but you have to expect a small percentage of your posts made an argument said at night might when read with fresh eyes cross the line when you consider kids read the board. thats normally why things get deleted.

I would ask that you give hasland and moondog some slack though, I like to think that the established mods are fairly good at working with everyone individually, we've all had conversations with many of you for more than 5 years. so we know most of peoples views on various subjects, like what gets deleted or not, and how we handle certain situations, because we've dealt with most things together. Josh and Mark are still getting used to our curmudgeonly methods, but i can't think of a decision they have made so far is something I would back to the hilt.

I would like to get your on the best path to take on this reputation system though. If you could see which people where marking you down do you think that would stop the bitchy negative clicks?

#36 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:10 PM

View PostDenny, on 22 December 2010 - 10:57 PM, said:

I would like to get your on the best path to take on this reputation system though. If you could see which people where marking you down do you think that would stop the bitchy negative clicks?

The f em remark was aimed at those doing the marking down,the last one with moondog if any other mod then it would have been done by pm,i apologise i don't normally use this bad language as a rule and i am certainly not the only doing it,on the account deletetion if there had been a button i could have clicked on i would have gone,but seeing as it was left i am still here,i have asked a few times now to be deleted,your right i don't want to leave,cannot you see this rep feature has caused more trouble than was here before it was added.

I have made peace with Haslandboi and that is over with,i am not sure what is up with moondog all i have said is about the mansfield threads and he has taken a dislike to that.......

#37 User is offline   Denny 

• First Team Player

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:31 PM

View PostDema Reborn, on 22 December 2010 - 11:10 PM, said:

The f em remark was aimed at those doing the marking down,the last one with moondog if any other mod then it would have been done by pm,i apologise i don't normally use this bad language as a rule and i am certainly not the only doing it,on the account deletetion if there had been a button i could have clicked on i would have gone,but seeing as it was left i am still here,i have asked a few times now to be deleted,your right i don't want to leave,cannot you see this rep feature has caused more trouble than was here before it was added.

I have made peace with Haslandboi and that is over with,i am not sure what is up with moondog all i have said is about the mansfield threads and he has taken a dislike to that.......

Ok, sorry, I misread that and thought it was at us, appologies, if it was aimed at the negative stuff, sure, i can't disagree. :D
as for what you said, I didn't class it as bad languange, i've said before that if something is particually well argued, empassioned or funny then i would argue the odd swear word is fine, if it's in bad taste, aggressive or just rude then it should go. other mods may have a different view. but that's my personal view.
I don't think moondog or anyone with the keys to the board has a problem with anyone, we try just to sort individual posts when they come up.

The rep feature has in some regards been great in letting people who don't normally get involved, start to contribute. That's got to be good. Honestly, i think the negative button is being hit in a trolling way by a very small amount of people. I think I need to do a bit of work to create some new groups to reduce the rights of offenders and maybe stop people who haven't posted before hitting the negative button. That's something for either the new year, or if i get really really bored and not called out by work, between christmas and new year.

#38 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:34 PM

I've got a confession to make. I've given Keith the occasional + in recent times. :o

#39 User is offline   Denny 

• First Team Player

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:24 AM

Just a quick check, since the upgrade, we have had roughly, 4600 positives given out and 5100 negative votes given out .

It's much more even than I expected, but apparently it's more fun to criticise!

#40 User is offline   philly8mt 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The usual ;-)

Posted 23 December 2010 - 01:53 AM

I've given plus & minus marks (sometimes the wrong wayvround due to fat fingers on iPhone screen!) .. But .. I rarely take it that seriously tbh and neither should anyone else! If proof is needed PAC the millers fan wished us a merry Xmas and he received a negative mark for it! That's plain silly ...

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users