Bob's Board: Warning Over Tone, And Apparently Abusive Behaviour (Language)On Ched Evans Thread?? - Bob's Board

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Warning Over Tone, And Apparently Abusive Behaviour (Language)On Ched Evans Thread?? Just me, or not??

#21 Guest_Mark Jones_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:39 AM

View PostDave Wallers, on 22 April 2012 - 02:17 AM, said:

Not really no. Didn't notice when I read the thread again earlier, but now you've mentioned it I probably did use those 'figures of speech'.

Not the point though is it mate? On a thread that large, on such a thought provoking subject, there were umpteen posts of a similar nature, tone, and content.

All I'd like to know is where they draw the line of distinction between behaviour warranting a warning,and behaviour that goes unpunished.

Not asking for much really, just a bit of clarity me owd!

When Dalekpete closed the thread it said something about not being able to keep up with the bad language so there lies your answer.

The forum rules are really clear about it. You used bad language so have to take it on the chin.

#22 User is offline   cfcblues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:22 AM

I didn't post on it because I couldn't give two monkeys what went on in that hotel room, nor could I give a stuff how it affects Wednesday or United and I can't believe how much coverage it got on here

#23 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

View Postcfcblues, on 22 April 2012 - 07:22 AM, said:

I didn't post on it because I couldn't give two monkeys what went on in that hotel room, nor could I give a stuff how it affects Wednesday or United and I can't believe how much coverage it got on here

or how much its still getting this thread and the other pathetic attempt at humour about it thread, and any remaning CE threads should be closed the courts dealt with it, accept it and move on.
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#24 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 22 April 2012 - 08:29 AM

View PostDave Wallers, on 21 April 2012 - 10:32 PM, said:

I've posted this, because I was just wondering what criteria warranted me getting a warning.

It was a close to the knuckle thread, and there were loads of people using language, or variants of, and a few very heated disagreements. I messaged Dalekpete (Mod) back, and asked him for names of others that had received them for the same thing on that thread. Alas no reply.

He did say, he didn't agree with my stance, but the warning wasn't for that, it was for being abusive. So, I'd challenge anyone to re-read that thread, and I think you'd find, I was one of the 'calmer' posters on there.

Just a bit puzzled is all.

I'm not holding my breath for a reply, anyway. The swear police must be run off their feet.

You did well to steer clear mate.

Guidelines
By registering to use these boards you agree to the following

(a) Chesterfield Football Club nor the CFSS will not tolerate any postings containing racist or homophobic language, postings inciting violence or containing sexual connotations or containing any other topic/language that is deemed to de detrimental to the Club and it's supporters. Postings that contain asterisks or use other mechanisms to disguise swear words will also not be tolerated.
(b) Chesterfield Football Club reserves the right to remove any posting from the Message Boards without explanation.
© The content of the Message Boards must be focused exclusively on matters relating directly to Chesterfield Football Club, or football in general. Postings which do not comply with this directive will be removed without explanation. Postings that are repetitive or contain personal insults to players, officials or other users of the Board will be removed without notice or explanation.
(d) Chesterfield Football Club will provide a forum whereby fans wishing to have personal conversations can exchange e-mail addresses. Any topic/posting that is deemed to be a private conversation taking place on the Message Boards will be removed without explanation.
(e) Chesterfield Football Club reserves the right to ban, without explanation, any user who contravenes these rules.
(f) Chesterfield Football Club reserves the right to shut down the Message Boards at any time.
(g) The club and CFSS may use the email addresses registered to contact you about club or CFSS related topics

#25 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:12 AM

*checks pm's*

No warning booyah

#27 User is offline   Elmer Fudd's Thick Lip 

• The Ayatollah
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Big fan of Terry Thomas and Fu Manchu.

Partial to the odd beerd!!

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

View Postvalemadness, on 22 April 2012 - 08:29 AM, said:

Guidelines
By registering to use these boards you agree to the following

(a) Chesterfield Football Club nor the CFSS will not tolerate any postings containing racist or homophobic language, postings inciting violence or containing sexual connotations or containing any other topic/language that is deemed to de detrimental to the Club and it's supporters. Postings that contain asterisks or use other mechanisms to disguise swear words will also not be tolerated.
(b) Chesterfield Football Club reserves the right to remove any posting from the Message Boards without explanation.
© The content of the Message Boards must be focused exclusively on matters relating directly to Chesterfield Football Club, or football in general. Postings which do not comply with this directive will be removed without explanation. Postings that are repetitive or contain personal insults to players, officials or other users of the Board will be removed without notice or explanation.
(d) Chesterfield Football Club will provide a forum whereby fans wishing to have personal conversations can exchange e-mail addresses. Any topic/posting that is deemed to be a private conversation taking place on the Message Boards will be removed without explanation.
(e) Chesterfield Football Club reserves the right to ban, without explanation, any user who contravenes these rules.
(f) Chesterfield Football Club reserves the right to shut down the Message Boards at any time.
(g) The club and CFSS may use the email addresses registered to contact you about club or CFSS related topics

So, basically you've made me a scapegoat for the whole thing.

No?

That doesn't answer my question though.

Why was I singled out for a warning, when countless others were doing the same thing?

And where have you drawn the line between language that warranted a warning, and language that didn't?

*sigh*
Mug?? Being wrong never gets boring!

#28 User is offline   Elmer Fudd's Thick Lip 

• The Ayatollah
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:29 PM

View PostMark Jones, on 22 April 2012 - 06:39 AM, said:

When Dalekpete closed the thread it said something about not being able to keep up with the bad language so there lies your answer.

The forum rules are really clear about it. You used bad language so have to take it on the chin.

That's not the issue though Mark.

There were countless posts with bad language in that thread.

All I'm asking is why I've been singled out, and none of the mods seem prepared to answer this.

#29 User is offline   Denny 

• First Team Player
  • Group: Admin

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

DWT,

I've been out for the weekend,helping with wedding, first time i've been near the interwebs.
There is a message of yours in the board's bin where you call another person, however disguised, the 'c' word and a 'f'-wit.
I would have deleted that too, it's not the language that tips it over the edge for me (although i know for many people that would have been enough), but it was simply straight up abusive and out of order.

--------------------------------------
As for the swearing issue, in general:
My personal opinion is that i imagine this board as a pub and you should be able to have a good argument even with the odd bit of colourful language, say, if it's in a particularly impassioned 'speech' or for something funny, but you've got to remember that there are kids around, and if you are just effing and blinding you've got to expect somebody to come over and ask you to tone it down.
I do know many people that think that there is no call for any bad language and equally people that think this should be a free for all.
I think we annoy both of these camps, which, probably means we generally get it right, for everything else, there is the report post button or you can just carry on arguing!

oh and...
I'm off to take the bride and groom to gatwick - don't expect a quick response from me!

#30 User is offline   Elmer Fudd's Thick Lip 

• The Ayatollah
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:06 PM

View PostDenny, on 22 April 2012 - 04:24 PM, said:

DWT,

I've been out for the weekend,helping with wedding, first time i've been near the interwebs.
There is a message of yours in the board's bin where you call another person, however disguised, the 'c' word and a 'f'-wit.
I would have deleted that too, it's not the language that tips it over the edge for me (although i know for many people that would have been enough), but it was simply straight up abusive and out of order.

As for the swearing issue, in general:
My personal opinion is that i imagine this board as a pub and you should be able to have a good argument even with the odd bit of colourful language, say, if it's in a particularly impassioned 'speech' or for something funny, but you've got to remember that there are kids around, and if you are just effing and blinding you've got to expect somebody to come over and ask you to tone it down.
I do know many people that think that there is no call for any bad language and equally people that think this should be a free for all.
I think we annoy both of these camps, which, probably means we generally get it right, for everything else, there is the report post button or you can just carry on arguing!

oh and...
I'm off to take the bride and groom to gatwick - don't expect a quick response from me!

Denny, thankyou for replying. I know I used language that isn't tolerated but it wasn't just myself, that's where it's stuck in the throat a little.

It was quite a heated discussion, and other users made comments of a similar nature. Threatening in some instances. One example, without trawling the whole thread was 'Are you F-in thick?' which was used a number of times by a certain user.

Anyway it's time for me to let it go. I don't use Facebook or twitter so god knows what I'd do with my little spare time if I ended up getting banned off here.

Once again, thanks for clearing this up in a polite and adult way, and reasoning your explanation, instead of just copying and pasting the guidelines, which were contravened by numerous people on the thread in question.

Hope you have a safe journey.

Danny R.

#31 Guest_Mark Jones_*

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

I am one of these boring old fashioned people who believes the use of bad language in front of kids is not good practice. I disagree with Denny that the messageboard is like a pub where you should be able to let out the expletives. I know a few others think the same as Denny as well but its not a pub is it.

I dont think folk appreciate that kids read this messageboard, there are some that do realise but dont care, I suspect they use colourful language in front of their own kids, if they dont then its a bit hypocritical. Someone once told me to listen to the language kids use in the street. But does that make it right? Do blokes not get offended if another bloke eff's and geffs or drops a C bomb in front of their wives or kids? I do.

Do I swear? Hell yes! I was a squaddie for 25 years and I can swear with the best of them but I am rather fussy about who I do it in front of and where I do it.

I think if people want swearing to be allowed on the message board then the age level for joining should be raised from 13 to 18 yrs old and a warning on a flash page saying bad language is going to be seen. But then by excluding kids we are no longer a community club are we?

#32 User is offline   Denny 

• First Team Player
  • Group: Admin

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

Hi Mark,

Glad you replied, it'd be nice to have a rational discussion between one side and the other.

Just to be clear, i'm somewhere in the middle ground, given that i have had plenty of 'talks' with you and with people with the opposite viewpoint, i'll repeat the line:

"you should be able to have a good argument even with the odd bit of colourful language, say, if it's in a particularly impassioned 'speech' or for something funny, but you've got to remember that there are kids around, and if you are just effing and blinding you've got to expect somebody to come over and ask you to tone it down."

I certainly don't think we (that's all of us) should be allowed free reign, and the abusive swearing is right-out in my book, but i think language has and has to evolve otherwise we'll end up talking like a dickens novel.

The report button is there for stuff mods miss (we're not full time) and for stuff where the mods might not think it's offensive or is "part of the discussion".

I'd love one of the opposite camp to put their view across - Haslandboi was the one i have the most "discussions" with.
I doubt we will all agree - but - it might help everyone understand where people are coming from.

#33 Guest_Mark Jones_*

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:16 PM

Hiya Denny,

Hope all is well.

I don't consider myself a bore or a NIMBY just because I don't approve of swearing on this messageboard ( I know you are not implying I am but some do).

I fundamentally think swearing should not take place in front of children. I will be the first to put my hand up to admitting that sometimes I do let slip but I would be quick to offer an apology. Even sat in the South Stand of the B2Net I would still apologise if I let it out near a woman or a kid.

This has been brought up many times and I get fed the same old line about kids hear it at school etc. This seems to give the green light to some. The reason kids use it at school is because they hear it at home. We influence our kids behaviour.

In my book its disrespectful to another bloke if I swear in front of his Mrs & Kids.

I think with this messageboard is folk get so engrossed in debate they think its a one to one conversation with someone else and they forget to appreciate that every single person in the world with a computer and internet connection can see everything they write. Some dont care, that's down to their upbringing and there is not a lot you can do to change their minds.

It's something I feel strongly about, there is not enough respect for fellow human beings and it reflects on our society.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users