• You cannot reply to this topic

Maidenhead Thread

#141 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 April 2024 - 03:02 PM

View PostSpireite93, on 22 April 2024 - 02:37 PM, said:

Unfortunately, from January onwards he ended up playing on the left quite a lot, which is definitely not his best position at all

His contribution in the build up to that great team goal at Home to Gateshead was typical of the type of stuff he can do when in the middle, but in essence we have 3 players vying for that one position, with Dobra seemingly the preferred player. Jacobs adding a different type there, and Banks different to both

But we can't keep all 3

We can keep all three, why do you think we cant? Jacobs and Dobra can play in any of the attacking three positions while Banks can play in the attacking three centrally but also if required drop into one the deeper two midfield positions if required. In fact against Barnet away we played three deeper central midfielders with him stepping out a bit when we had the ball. In fact we can probably pick any three of those three, Mandeville, Colclough and Berry and have a very good attacking three with people able to play in multiple positions of the three and provide different attacking qualities...with limited squad numbers and transfer windows to work with its the ideal scenario to have players who can play in different positions.

#142 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 22 April 2024 - 04:09 PM

View PostJonB, on 22 April 2024 - 03:02 PM, said:

We can keep all three, why do you think we cant? Jacobs and Dobra can play in any of the attacking three positions while Banks can play in the attacking three centrally but also if required drop into one the deeper two midfield positions if required. In fact against Barnet away we played three deeper central midfielders with him stepping out a bit when we had the ball. In fact we can probably pick any three of those three, Mandeville, Colclough and Berry and have a very good attacking three with people able to play in multiple positions of the three and provide different attacking qualities...with limited squad numbers and transfer windows to work with its the ideal scenario to have players who can play in different positions.

I'm thinking the same, Ollie Banks is good in a few positions, and it's a brave man who gets rid of a utility player as good as him. He's certainly more useful than Oldaker and we're keeping him.

#143 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 22 April 2024 - 04:11 PM

View PostOsborne again, on 22 April 2024 - 04:09 PM, said:

I'm thinking the same, Ollie Banks is good in a few positions, and it's a brave man who gets rid of a utility player as good as him. He's certainly more useful than Oldaker and we're keeping him.

I don’t mind Oldaker and I suspect he’s on not loads wages based on where we signed him from compared to getting banks to drop from league football. Also a fair bit younger. That’s not to say I wouldn’t keep Banks as I would but has to be the right deal and based on banks comments post game he wants to find a deal.

This post has been edited by JonB: 22 April 2024 - 04:12 PM

#144 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2024 - 04:24 PM

View PostJonB, on 22 April 2024 - 04:11 PM, said:

I don’t mind Oldaker and I suspect he’s on not loads wages based on where we signed him from compared to getting banks to drop from league football. Also a fair bit younger. That’s not to say I wouldn’t keep Banks as I would but has to be the right deal and based on banks comments post game he wants to find a deal.

To be fair, I think Oldaker is work in progress, and I'm hopeful that there's going to be big a improvement from him next season. If we're going to be getting a young pace laden striker, then Banks is your man for that threaded through ball.

#145 User is offline   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2024 - 04:33 PM

View PostSpireite93, on 22 April 2024 - 02:37 PM, said:

Unfortunately, from January onwards he ended up playing on the left quite a lot, which is definitely not his best position at all

His contribution in the build up to that great team goal at Home to Gateshead was typical of the type of stuff he can do when in the middle, but in essence we have 3 players vying for that one position, with Dobra seemingly the preferred player. Jacobs adding a different type there, and Banks different to both

But we can't keep all 3

That’s just made me laugh, Jacobs has played left midfield literally all of his career.

#146 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 22 April 2024 - 04:50 PM

View PostFit as a Nelson, on 22 April 2024 - 04:33 PM, said:

That’s just made me laugh, Jacobs has played left midfield literally all of his career.

I think with his quality he’s been at his best central for us

#147 User is offline   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2024 - 05:08 PM

View PostJonB, on 22 April 2024 - 04:50 PM, said:

I think with his quality he’s been at his best central for us

Hope to see a lot more of him next season

#148 User is offline   bucko 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2024 - 05:38 PM

Also we have to remember next season 5 subs can be used out of 7 named.
The more quality and options we have the better, and players will also be kept happy as game time will be mor regular.

I would keep Banks but not on a 2 year which is rumoured to be what Babks is after and you can't blame him.

Have a year with an option which suits both parties could be the way round it

#149 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2024 - 05:47 PM

View PostBonnyman, on 22 April 2024 - 11:43 AM, said:

Id love to know how the theory about playing better in a higher league works, although i will accept jacobs did not have a pre season, for me he isnt a 90 minute player and i feel he probably needs to up his goal tally

An example that springs to mind is Tom Curtis. In the basement league he looked like nothing more than a willing runner but when we got into the league above we suddenly had a player.

Conversely , Phil Robinson dint have anything like the same influence in the league above as he did in the basement.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#150 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 22 April 2024 - 05:50 PM

View PostPhil V 72, on 22 April 2024 - 05:47 PM, said:

An example that springs to mind is Tom Curtis. In the basement league he looked like nothing more than a willing runner but when we got into the league above we suddenly had a player.

Conversely , Phil Robinson dint have anything like the same influence in the league above as he did in the basement.

TBH I always thought Tom Curtis was nothing more than a willing runner, regardless of which division we were in.
East stand second class citizen.

#151 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 22 April 2024 - 05:52 PM

Was only saying on Sat'di how much like the excellent Phil Robinson Naylor is...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#152 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 22 April 2024 - 05:55 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 22 April 2024 - 05:50 PM, said:

TBH I always thought Tom Curtis was nothing more than a willing runner, regardless of which division we were in.

Curtis was a 'tidy up' midfielder, buzzing around chasing the ball then giving it to such as Paul Holland when he won it.

Would've done okay as one of Cook's 'two' in front of the defence, perhaps...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#153 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2024 - 06:15 PM

View Postbucko, on 22 April 2024 - 05:38 PM, said:

The more quality and options we have the better, and players will also be kept happy as game time will be mor regular.

I would keep Banks but not on a 2 year which is rumoured to be what Babks is after and you can't blame him.

Yes we can use 5 out of 7 but, in reality, I think that’s more like 5 out of 6 outfield players as most likely we’ll have a keeper on the bench.

Any road up, injuries in the latter part of season serve to point out the necessity to have sufficient cover in one of the most important areas of Cooks set up. As such, I think there is room for Banks and another.

#154 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2024 - 06:17 PM

View Postbucko, on 22 April 2024 - 05:38 PM, said:

Sounds good to me.

#155 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2024 - 06:20 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 22 April 2024 - 05:55 PM, said:

Curtis was a 'tidy up' midfielder, buzzing around chasing the ball then giving it to such as Paul Holland when he won it.

Would've done okay as one of Cook's 'two' in front of the defence, perhaps...

In any 50:50 situation you would have put money on Curtis winning the ball. A player similar to him would fit nicely alongside Naylor. His partnership with Ebdon meant Marcus rarely had to make a tackle and just be there for when Tom came away with the ball.

#156 User is offline   plannerj 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC and many other things!

Posted 22 April 2024 - 06:20 PM

View Postdtp, on 22 April 2024 - 06:15 PM, said:

Yes we can use 5 out of 7 but, in reality, I think that’s more like 5 out of 6 outfield players as most likely we’ll have a keeper on the bench.

Any road up, injuries in the latter part of season serve to point out the necessity to have sufficient cover in one of the most important areas of Cooks set up. As such, I think there is room for Banks and another.

He’s made it clear in the post-match interview that the only place he wants to be next season is here. I hope he will be.

#157 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 22 April 2024 - 06:44 PM

Bit of difference curtis was 20 when he joined us with fresh legs he could grow into a better league with natural improvement whereas jacobs is 32
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#158 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 22 April 2024 - 10:08 PM

I thought Robinson was excellent for us throughout.

The highlights feature the goal disallowed from a corner- looks like Naylor put it in though the commentator said it was Jacobs. What on earth was it disallowed for?
These go to eleven.

#159 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 22 April 2024 - 10:41 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 22 April 2024 - 10:08 PM, said:

I thought Robinson was excellent for us throughout.

The highlights feature the goal disallowed from a corner- looks like Naylor put it in though the commentator said it was Jacobs. What on earth was it disallowed for?

Ball went out of play pretty much as soon as Mandeville took it. Assistant flagged for a goal kick. I was in the west stand family stand right behind it and it probably did go out.

#160 User is offline   ralspireite1866 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2024 - 11:52 PM

View PostJonB, on 22 April 2024 - 10:41 PM, said:

Ball went out of play pretty much as soon as Mandeville took it. Assistant flagged for a goal kick. I was in the west stand family stand right behind it and it probably did go out.

I was thinking the same, especially as the game restarted with a goal kick

Share this topic:

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users