>Elephant fingers<

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 13 March 2024 - 07:01 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#202 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 March 2024 - 06:59 PM

So after all the ignorant posturing of Monday it was back to basics for 'thirty pee Lee' yest'di.

Taking his lonely seat in an empty corner of the almost deserted Commons.

No equally bigoted bellows of 'hear-hear!' around him, no matey back-slapping of support and absolutely no friendly faces wishing him well.

Just a pathetic opportunist looking like a lost little boy.

In fact the only character giving him any time of day was the equally ostracised Galloway. Y'know, the same bloke he'd just spent his entire attention fest trashing.

And it'll be the same when campaigning in Ashfield. How many door knockers will Re-thingy be able to field? How many volunteers will there be doing the day-to-day dirty work?

Nowhere near as many as a Tory party with a multi-million pound war chest to call upon, that's for sure.

Maybe he'll get that mate who pretended to be an ordinary voter last time to lick a few stamps.

Either way I understand GeeBeebies were last night triumphantly trumpeting a huge surge in membership for the party that, errr, well, says it doesn't do membership. So how many do we think that mass joining was - hundreds of thousands? Maybe tens of thousands? Or could they have taken time out from going ga-ga over migrants to get gigglingly giddy over a bare one thousand tying the turquoise knot.

Ah well, the intellectual tyrannosaur might be cutting a forlorn figure at the moment but hey - it's only 'til after the election...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 13 March 2024 - 07:26 PM

#203 User is offline   Manfred Archie Mac Gerbil 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Chesterfield
    Racing
    Anagrams
    Puzzles

Posted 17 March 2024 - 08:34 AM

I was in Sutton in Ashfield on Friday, I think it was National Lee Anderson Appreciation Day, wild scenes as Lee and Richard Tice arrived on their splendid brand new blue bus to the roar of an adoring crowd in the town centre.

I’ll tell you now, anybody wishing Anderson to lose his seat in the forthcoming election, my advice is don’t get your hopes up, rightly or wrongly the guys absolutely adored by his home fans and comes across like a real hero.

Easily a safe seat for Reform in the next election and Tice has played a blinder getting Anderson to join, also membership to Reform UK has rocketed into thousands now whether you like em or not.

This post has been edited by Manfred Archie Mac Gerbil: 17 March 2024 - 08:35 AM

Let me in!

#204 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:46 AM

View PostManfred Archie Mac Gerbil, on 17 March 2024 - 08:34 AM, said:

I was in Sutton in Ashfield on Friday, I think it was National Lee Anderson Appreciation Day, wild scenes as Lee and Richard Tice arrived on their splendid brand new blue bus to the roar of an adoring crowd in the town centre.

I’ll tell you now, anybody wishing Anderson to lose his seat in the forthcoming election, my advice is don’t get your hopes up, rightly or wrongly the guys absolutely adored by his home fans and comes across like a real hero.

Easily a safe seat for Reform in the next election and Tice has played a blinder getting Anderson to join, also membership to Reform UK has rocketed into thousands now whether you like em or not.

If you were there then I bow to your opinion, but the media reports, they may well be biased, painted a slightly different picture. They gave the impression of a lukewarm reception with them being asked to remove the bus frown the Coop carpark at Selston, getting stuck in the car park at Kirkby Morrisons and the pictures taken in the Sun dial square at S in A showing hardly anyone there. Other than that I agree he has a very good chance of retaining Ashfield although the media reports, yeah I know, expect the seat to return to Labour.
East stand second class citizen.

#205 User is offline   Manfred Archie Mac Gerbil 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Racing
    Anagrams
    Puzzles

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:56 AM

Mr Mercury said:

1710668805[/url]' post='1811138']
If you were there then I bow to your opinion, but the media reports, they may well be biased, painted a slightly different picture. They gave the impression of a lukewarm reception with them being asked to remove the bus frown the Coop carpark at Selston, getting stuck in the car park at Kirkby Morrisons and the pictures taken in the Sun dial square at S in A showing hardly anyone there. Other than that I agree he has a very good chance of retaining Ashfield although the media reports, yeah I know, expect the seat to return to Labour.

I was only in Sutton that day, I didn’t follow their bus to Kirkby, Skegby or Selston but they got a noisy round of applause in Sutton town centre and any voices of discontent were drowned out including a black woman (obviously planted there by the left) who was swearing and spitting at him and Anderson handled it extremely well.

Yeh the local media (Chad) have major grievances against him (hence this weeks hatchet job, although very entertaining reading) but there’s no way I’d bet on him losing his seat.

I don’t particularly like the man but he has the majority of Ashfield locals eating out of his hands if the scenes in Sutton were anything to go by.
Let me in!

#206 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:59 AM

View PostManfred Archie Mac Gerbil, on 17 March 2024 - 09:56 AM, said:

I was only in Sutton that day, I didn’t follow their bus to Kirkby, Skegby or Selston but they got a noisy round of applause in Sutton town centre and any voices of discontent were drowned out including a black woman (obviously planted there by the left) who was swearing and spitting at him and Anderson handled it extremely well.

Yeh the local media (Chad) have major grievances against him (hence this weeks hatchet job, although very entertaining reading) but there’s no way I’d bet on him losing his seat.

I don’t particularly like the man but he has the majority of Ashfield locals eating out of his hands if the scenes in Sutton were anything to go by.

I don’t doubt for one minute that he got a “noisy round of applause” and love or hate him he’s one of those politicians/public figures who has that knack of being listened to when he speaks. I was just replying to your “wild scenes” comment in the earlier post.
East stand second class citizen.

#207 User is offline   Manfred Archie Mac Gerbil 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Racing
    Anagrams
    Puzzles

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:25 AM

Mr Mercury said:

1710669557[/url]' post='1811148']
I don't doubt for one minute that he got a "noisy round of applause" and love or hate him he's one of those politicians/public figures who has that knack of being listened to when he speaks. I was just replying to your "wild scenes" comment in the earlier post.

Comparatively speaking of an average boring Friday in Sutton then these would be regarded as ‘wild scenes’.

Say what you like about Anderson, despite his obvious lack of intelligence and his obnoxious persona he certainly makes use of the attributes he’s got. He put Labour and the Independents to the sword in the last election and he’s even more popular these days so it’s gonna be more of the same in Ashfield regardless of the pending Labour government who’ll no doubt have Anderson constantly sniping at their future failures from the sidelines.

His mouth will likely be even more out of control too because Tice and his GBN paymasters won’t be closely monitoring his behaviour and dialogue like his Tory bosses were, in fact they’ll most likely be encouraging more of the same and then some.
Let me in!

#208 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 17 March 2024 - 11:44 AM

View PostManfred Archie Mac Gerbil, on 17 March 2024 - 10:25 AM, said:

Comparatively speaking of an average boring Friday in Sutton then these would be regarded as ‘wild scenes’.

Say what you like about Anderson, despite his obvious lack of intelligence and his obnoxious persona he certainly makes use of the attributes he’s got. He put Labour and the Independents to the sword in the last election and he’s even more popular these days so it’s gonna be more of the same in Ashfield regardless of the pending Labour government who’ll no doubt have Anderson constantly sniping at their future failures from the sidelines.

His mouth will likely be even more out of control too because Tice and his GBN paymasters won’t be closely monitoring his behaviour and dialogue like his Tory bosses were, in fact they’ll most likely be encouraging more of the same and then some.

He’s clever enough to know that repeating classic little englander tropes will garner support from little englander’s cos he ‘says it how it is!’ The man has nothing about him in terms of beliefs, he’d simp for the Communist party if he thought it’d keep him in a job based on his history of moving from party to party, the big slut.

This post has been edited by Goku: 17 March 2024 - 11:44 AM

#209 User is offline   Manfred Archie Mac Gerbil 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Racing
    Anagrams
    Puzzles

Posted 17 March 2024 - 01:42 PM

Goku said:

1710675857[/url]' post='1811185']
He's clever enough to know that repeating classic little englander tropes will garner support from little englander's cos he 'says it how it is!' The man has nothing about him in terms of beliefs, he'd simp for the Communist party if he thought it'd keep him in a job based on his history of moving from party to party, the big slut.

To be fair he’s standing his ground. The 2019 Labour candidate (that got drafted in from London yet pretended to come from Ashfield) he annihilated in the last election has scuttled off to Bolsover to challenge a far easier opponent (a Tory boy look alike who enjoys being photographed next to large pot holes). He seems to be what the people of Ashfield wish for that’s for sure and the media negativity doesn’t affect him or his chances in the slightest, Richard Tice must surely be rubbing his hands with glee with this acquisition as it’s a bonafide certainty of a seat in the next election.
Let me in!

#210 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 18 March 2024 - 11:34 AM

Colour me not surprised in the least

https://www.bbc.co.u...t-arts-68596973

Won't stop them doing it will it though, they don't care!
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#211 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2024 - 05:15 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 18 March 2024 - 11:34 AM, said:

Colour me not surprised in the least

https://www.bbc.co.u...t-arts-68596973

Won't stop them doing it will it though, they don't care!

I see the bloke who gave up genuine journalism to become GeeBeebies' 'political editor' (guessing he's regarded with a mixture of pity and amusement by those at proper stations) recently hailed an interview with that titan of the political landscape...

..Holly Willoughby

So who's fronting supposedly serious debate next - Peter Andre?

Oh, wait...

#212 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 21 March 2024 - 08:54 PM

Wonder if this story featuring two of it's 'unbiased' presenters (y'know, a couple of the tory MP's it employs to interview other, well, erm, tory MP's...) will appear on this 'news' (stop laughing everyone!) channel...

https://www.theguard...t-philip-davies

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 21 March 2024 - 08:55 PM

#213 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:20 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 21 March 2024 - 08:54 PM, said:

Wonder if this story featuring two of it's 'unbiased' presenters (y'know, a couple of the tory MP's it employs to interview other, well, erm, tory MP's...) will appear on this 'news' (stop laughing everyone!) channel...

https://www.theguard...t-philip-davies

I knew you would post this one.Have they broken any rules? Could they claim the mortgage interest back if they lived in the flat they own? The answer is no. Could they claim the rent back for renting one? Yep. So they are abiding by the rules. You have to offer the ability to claim back a place not in your constituency as MPs need to work in two places that are often not commutable, and if it wasnt possible, only very rich people could be MPs - we dont want that do we?

Maybe Ed Balls could interview them, wonder what Yvette does for a London pad...?
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#214 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 22 March 2024 - 06:57 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 21 March 2024 - 10:20 PM, said:

I knew you would post this one.Have they broken any rules? Could they claim the mortgage interest back if they lived in the flat they own? The answer is no. Could they claim the rent back for renting one? Yep. So they are abiding by the rules. You have to offer the ability to claim back a place not in your constituency as MPs need to work in two places that are often not commutable, and if it wasnt possible, only very rich people could be MPs - we dont want that do we?

Maybe Ed Balls could interview them, wonder what Yvette does for a London pad...?

Two current tory MP's, Ian.

Presenting on what's supposed to be a 'news' channel.

Which is fronted by a entire collection of right wing characters. Interviewing other right wing characters. Hosting right wing viewers to agree with those right wing characters.

To the point it's received several sanctions from OFCOM.

And one of those current MP's is claiming expenses - the taxpayers money you make such a song and dance about - to rent a property whilst the other hires out an available property.

But the self appointed champion of balance's response to all that?

Pedantry and whataboutery to excuse it.

However if a union leader does anything even remotely similar...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 22 March 2024 - 07:02 AM

#215 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2024 - 09:02 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 22 March 2024 - 06:57 AM, said:

Two current tory MP's, Ian.

Presenting on what's supposed to be a 'news' channel.

Which is fronted by a entire collection of right wing characters. Interviewing other right wing characters. Hosting right wing viewers to agree with those right wing characters.

To the point it's received several sanctions from OFCOM.

And one of those current MP's is claiming expenses - the taxpayers money you make such a song and dance about - to rent a property whilst the other hires out an available property.

But the self appointed champion of balance's response to all that?

Pedantry and whataboutery to excuse it.

However if a union leader does anything even remotely similar...

On the Balls thing, I was making a comparison as he is married to a Labour MP, so hardly the most balanced interviewer, can you imagine if SKS came on and he tore him a new one, relations at home might be a bit frosty after unless Yvette fancies the main gig...

On the expenses, its legal. They have done nothing wrong. The rules might be stupid, but they are the rules. They could live in their own flat and it would cost them the mortgage payments (or the lost profits from renting) and they wouldnt get a penny back. Or they can rent and claim it back. Which would you do (remembering that renting a flat in central London is upwards of £2k a month out of your net pay...)?

So whinge all you like, they have followed the rules - which were changed to stop MPs claiming back mortgage interest so the taxpayer wasnt funding them to buy their second homes.

PS on union leaders, dont think they have jobs that require them to live in two different locations do they? Although lets not get on to any that are given free homes and then refuse to move out of them, now that would be something for union members to moan about...wouldnt it?

This post has been edited by isleaiw1: 22 March 2024 - 09:04 AM

Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#216 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 22 March 2024 - 11:20 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 22 March 2024 - 09:02 AM, said:

On the Balls thing, I was making a comparison as he is married to a Labour MP, so hardly the most balanced interviewer, can you imagine if SKS came on and he tore him a new one, relations at home might be a bit frosty after unless Yvette fancies the main gig...

On the expenses, its legal. They have done nothing wrong. The rules might be stupid, but they are the rules. They could live in their own flat and it would cost them the mortgage payments (or the lost profits from renting) and they wouldnt get a penny back. Or they can rent and claim it back. Which would you do (remembering that renting a flat in central London is upwards of £2k a month out of your net pay...)?

So whinge all you like, they have followed the rules - which were changed to stop MPs claiming back mortgage interest so the taxpayer wasnt funding them to buy their second homes.

PS on union leaders, dont think they have jobs that require them to live in two different locations do they? Although lets not get on to any that are given free homes and then refuse to move out of them, now that would be something for union members to moan about...wouldnt it?

Yes but as Ed Balls is no longer an MP himself, what's he supposed to do, sit at home and do sod all? I'm guessing that the TV channel went to him rather than him touting himself to the TV channel (And after Piers sodding Morgan he's an improvement!)
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#217 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 22 March 2024 - 11:51 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 22 March 2024 - 09:02 AM, said:

Have you actually watched the footage?

If so, can you point out how or where Balls' questions were in any way biased? Unfair? Promoting an opinion?

Then let's discuss why a right wing commentator chose to insult his integrity rather than answer...

#218 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2024 - 12:27 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 22 March 2024 - 11:20 AM, said:

Yes but as Ed Balls is no longer an MP himself, what's he supposed to do, sit at home and do sod all? I'm guessing that the TV channel went to him rather than him touting himself to the TV channel (And after Piers sodding Morgan he's an improvement!)

Agreed on the last point. I was just questioning whether he should be doing any political interviews given his conflict of interest, as I would think it is impossible for him to be unbiased...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#219 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2024 - 12:36 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 22 March 2024 - 11:51 AM, said:

Have you actually watched the footage?

If so, can you point out how or where Balls' questions were in any way biased? Unfair? Promoting an opinion?

Then let's discuss why a right wing commentator chose to insult his integrity rather than answer...

Nope, breakfast TV comes somewhere level with party political broadcasts on my viewing lists. I was merely making the point that he cannot be (seen to be) impartial on political matters given his personal life....

If he was married to a minister would you think it ok for him to do political interviews?

On that specific, anyone who stoops to calling him Mr Cooper to demean him should have just had the interview terminated and told he was a dick!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#220 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 22 March 2024 - 03:18 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 22 March 2024 - 12:36 PM, said:

Nope, breakfast TV comes somewhere level with party political broadcasts on my viewing lists. I was merely making the point that he cannot be (seen to be) impartial on political matters given his personal life....

If he was married to a minister would you think it ok for him to do political interviews?

On that specific, anyone who stoops to calling him Mr Cooper to demean him should have just had the interview terminated and told he was a dick!

Well thanks for your honesty, Ian.

You hadn't even bothered watching the link provided, had no idea of what Balls actually asked Letts, but echoed insinuations of bias anyway.

Because you're, erm, 'balanced'.

Is it okay for someone associated with a politician to take part in journalism? Depends on their integrity, as judged by the questions they ask and commentaries they pen (by the way, if y'wanna talk about quasi-incestuous political relationships, the excellent James O'Brien has a book out entitled 'How They Broke Britain' narrating the links between the current crew, news barons, journalists and those secretly funded Tufton Street lobby groups. Very enlightening...).

Either way your last line is pretty much what EB did, though. In a manner of speaking...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 22 March 2024 - 03:58 PM

Share this topic:

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users