• You cannot reply to this topic

Halifax Away

#981 User is offline   stevie_b 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 March 2024 - 01:50 PM

View PostArnold Tabbs, on 21 March 2024 - 09:09 AM, said:

Town have given the fans the best season imaginable, but now it's apparently OK to slag them off, individually and collectively. Well, I beg to differ. I thought the match was great entertainment and Town played some great stuff, but the opposition are allowed to take part as well and Halifax took their chances really well.

There's no guarantee that your team will win every time they play; imagine how boring that would be. Would you rather the match had been a dismal 0-0 draw with neither team putting in any effort? The pitch was horrible but everybody on it - on both sides - did their best to make the match a cracker.

Players make mistakes. They don't make them on purpose, and if they never made them every game would be boring. And "game" is an important word here. Football is supposed to be fun; it's shouldn't be an excuse to hurl criticism and abuse at the men whose side you're supposed to be on. If it makes you that miserable - even when your team is about to win it's league title by a big margin - then you need a different hobby.

Took the words right out of my mouth 🥰

#982 User is offline   stevie_b 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2024 - 01:52 PM

View Postazul, on 21 March 2024 - 08:59 AM, said:

Didn’t like their bating of the away support when they scored - way over the top - an embarrassment to their club

No, I didn't like that. It was intentional, right in or faces, and more than once 🤬

There should have been some yellows dished out for that carry on.

#983 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 21 March 2024 - 01:53 PM

Town have given the fans the best season imaginable, but now it's apparently OK to slag them off, individually and collectively. Well, I beg to differ. I thought the match was great entertainment and Town played some great stuff, but the opposition are allowed to take part as well and Halifax took their chances really well.

There's no guarantee that your team will win every time they play; imagine how boring that would be. Would you rather the match had been a dismal 0-0 draw with neither team putting in any effort? The pitch was horrible but everybody on it - on both sides - did their best to make the match a cracker.

Players make mistakes. They don't make them on purpose, and if they never made them every game would be boring. And "game" is an important word here. Football is supposed to be fun; it's shouldn't be an excuse to hurl criticism and abuse at the men whose side you're supposed to be on. If it makes you that miserable - even when your team is about to win it's league title by a big margin - then you need a different hobby.

I'd rather it be a 0-0 right now to be honest.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#984 User is offline   stevie_b 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2024 - 01:54 PM

View PostGoku, on 21 March 2024 - 09:29 AM, said:

There's nothing wrong with pointing out flaws but by God we have some mardy, miserable, pathetic fans. We've clearly taken our foot off the gas, which I think is expected when you've built such an unassailable lead, it's human nature. And we're in the National League, not the Prem. If we had somebody pushing us all season I really doubt we'd be seeing us concede 4 goals with any amount of regularity. It's weird how cretins like Search & Destroy weren't writing posts comparable to novels when we were winning every match.

But yes, clearly we need to strengthen in the Summer if we're going to push for playoffs.

Spot on as always, Goku 🥰

#985 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 21 March 2024 - 01:56 PM

View Poststevie_b, on 21 March 2024 - 01:52 PM, said:

No, I didn't like that. It was intentional, right in or faces, and more than once 🤬

Jeff King did it once in a game at home to Grimsby a couple of seasons ago and was booked straight away. Also meant the ref had to do the same to their player who then did it. As with most reffing things its the inconsistency thats annoying.

#986 User is offline   stevie_b 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2024 - 01:57 PM

View PostBlue5, on 21 March 2024 - 12:31 PM, said:

Have you not noticed that a certain section of society absolutely thrive on anarchy, our fanbase is no different. They achieve nothing in their lives because they have no plan other than stumble from one self inflicted disaster to another, it's how they function and their norm. They are unable to acknowledge success because it doesn't exist in their world.

We narrowly missed out on getting promotion last season and the Manager strengthened some key positions which has resulted in us getting promoted this year. To his and the club's credit, the nucleus of the squad is now under contract for next season and like last summer, I expect we will further strengthen the starting 11.

Paul Cook clearly has a plan although the same can't be said for those who choose to pick fault in our most successful season since, maybe 2014/15.

As for the talk of us not getting into the play offs or the top 10 next season with the current squad, some of our supporters need to seriously reign in their expectations. ANY position above a relegation spot next season should be considered a success. We've come a long way in the last two seasons and people need to remember who delivered that success.

I said to a couple of people last week that the club's biggest problem next season is not how we perform on the pitch, but how carefully the club manages supporter expectation and I stand by that.

Top post, that man 🥰

This post has been edited by stevie_b: 21 March 2024 - 01:58 PM

#987 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 21 March 2024 - 01:58 PM

View PostManfred Archie Mac Gerbil, on 21 March 2024 - 01:47 PM, said:

So if he gives you a tenner and Quigley scores before the seasons end you’re gonna give a grand to an asylum seekers charity?

They get enough free as it is

#988 User is offline   Snowflake McBedwetter 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2024 - 02:10 PM

In a parallel universe somebody on 'Bobs Board - No Spireite Debate' is crying out for someone to say something negative'ish... just the once.

#989 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 21 March 2024 - 02:24 PM

View PostJonB, on 21 March 2024 - 01:56 PM, said:

Jeff King did it once in a game at home to Grimsby a couple of seasons ago and was booked straight away. Also meant the ref had to do the same to their player who then did it. As with most reffing things its the inconsistency thats annoying.

Jeff King got booked for aggressively?? :lol: kicking an advertising hoarding v Notts last year giving notts something to work on, to get him a second yellow which they achieved and changed the game. King seemed to be a marked man last season, is it Dobs this year, was his caution last night more warrented than the first assault on Colclough. In Halifaxs last minute team talk you can hear their coach saying "hit Colclough hard and very early, the ref will not want to caution early with these conditions as it'll mean every challange will then be questioned and being a newby he'll not want the hassle".

This post has been edited by clarevoyant.: 21 March 2024 - 02:36 PM

Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#990 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 21 March 2024 - 03:03 PM

An odd thing to do in some ways, but given we had twice as many people on their own ground as they did, it would have been some distance they would have had to run to find any home fans.

#991 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 21 March 2024 - 05:14 PM

Never happen in this league, not unless it's against us.

#992 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2024 - 05:32 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 21 March 2024 - 02:24 PM, said:

Jeff King got booked for aggressively?? :lol: kicking an advertising hoarding v Notts last year giving notts something to work on, to get him a second yellow which they achieved and changed the game. King seemed to be a marked man last season, is it Dobs this year, was his caution last night more warrented than the first assault on Colclough. In Halifaxs last minute team talk you can hear their coach saying "hit Colclough hard and very early, the ref will not want to caution early with these conditions as it'll mean every challange will then be questioned and being a newby he'll not want the hassle".

Spot on that man but the opposition always seem to get away with it and we get booked as soon as one of our players breathes on an opposition player

#993 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 21 March 2024 - 05:35 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 21 March 2024 - 02:24 PM, said:

Off at a tangent........
What did you think of the ref's handling at our indirect freekick for the goalie handling the back pass? It was more or less where the six yard line meets the goal line. Surely all opponents except those standing on the goal line and in between the posts have to be 10 yards away? They were actually so close to the ball that it was impossible to achieve owt.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#994 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2024 - 06:16 PM

View Postazul, on 21 March 2024 - 09:36 AM, said:

We have conceded 4 or more at home on a number of occasions, Solihull being the most, err memorable but add in Hartlepool, Grimsby, Harrogate……

That pitch wasn’t extreme it was a bit heavy in areas. Interesting that Cook travelled separately to witness the pitch inspection so that he could have his say. I take from that he didn’t want it postponed and had plenty of time to prepare for it.

I missed out the away and on grass part sorry

This post has been edited by whittman: 21 March 2024 - 06:22 PM

#995 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 21 March 2024 - 06:29 PM

View Postdim view, on 21 March 2024 - 05:35 PM, said:

Off at a tangent........
What did you think of the ref's handling at our indirect freekick for the goalie handling the back pass? It was more or less where the six yard line meets the goal line. Surely all opponents except those standing on the goal line and in between the posts have to be 10 yards away? They were actually so close to the ball that it was impossible to achieve owt.

Poor. Probably he hadn't come across that situation before a bit like the notts keeper escaping a red card for his misdemeanors in the play off final due to another naive ref not applying the laws correctly. My breath is still bated awaiting these things to even out over time.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#996 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 21 March 2024 - 06:44 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 21 March 2024 - 06:29 PM, said:

Poor. Probably he hadn't come across that situation before a bit like the notts keeper escaping a red card for his misdemeanors in the play off final due to another naive ref not applying the laws correctly. My breath is still bated awaiting these things to even out over time.

The red card?

No double jeopardy anymore otherwise Tyrer would have been sent off 2 weeks running.
JRID

#997 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 21 March 2024 - 06:45 PM

View PostSearch & Destroy, on 21 March 2024 - 06:44 PM, said:

The red card?

No double jeopardy anymore otherwise Tyrer would have been sent off 2 weeks running.

No, he got a yellow card for the foul but he should also have got a yellow for deliberately kicking the ball away on an earlier incident preventing a chesterfield player taking a free kick if my memory serves me right.
East stand second class citizen.

#998 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 21 March 2024 - 06:47 PM

View Posthilly81, on 21 March 2024 - 07:51 AM, said:

I didn't have a problem with last nights team bar Banks in the deeper role. I'd have obviously played Jones. Other than that, what would you have done differently?

You've about said it all. If he plays Jones we're a different side defensively - the defence get protected from the opposition having a clear run at them because we've lost the ball in midfield again. Other than that I'd always have one full back staying deep to cover for the slowness of the central defence, and avoid the gung-ho approach until we've had a good look at the opposition and, particularly last night, the pitch. Quigley instead of Grigg would probably have been a better option for a muddy scrap featuring a lot of high balls because the pitch didn't lend itself to much else.
Against Oldham we went far too defensive; last night was too far in the opposite direction. We've played nicely balanced teams all season, so what on earth has happened the last two games is a bit of a mystery.

#999 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 21 March 2024 - 07:00 PM

View PostSearch & Destroy, on 21 March 2024 - 06:44 PM, said:

The red card?

No. Playing the ball a 2nd time after a cock up of a goalkick thus denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity = red card.

Its was well debated months ago. But debate not being one of your fortes perhaps you stick to what you aspire, a practicing ☆☆☆☆
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#1000 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 21 March 2024 - 07:17 PM

View Postdim view, on 21 March 2024 - 05:35 PM, said:

Off at a tangent........

I mentioned this at the time. There was room to go back 10 so they should have I think or stood on the goal line. The ones stood defending the near post were 7yds at the most.

Share this topic:

• (52 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users