• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Clingan to Wednesday?

#1 User is offline   First of the gang 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:33 AM

Just read on another site that Radio Sheff have confirmed wednesday are talking to him!
Gutted if this is true

#2 Guest_Mark Jones_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:36 AM

elephant stone, on Jun 14 2005, 09:33 AM, said:

Just read on another site that Radio Sheff have confirmed wednesday are talking to him!
Gutted if this is true
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was told by a Wolves fan this morning that he is talking to Sheff Wed but the bloke who told me is a waste of rations and I would trust him as far as I could throw him.

#3 User is offline   SpireiteDan 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2005 - 10:56 AM

Noooooooooo, Sammy, anyone but them - just think of the 4000 spireites' faces you made smile when you scored that screamer at hillsboro.........
So it looks like wolves would let him go (havent they just signed another midfielder today aswell) i wonder if town are even interested anymore? come on town, dont miss out again - we might not be able to offer him championship football and the wages but at least make him have to make a choice. :lol:

#4 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:11 AM

I best dump the pic i have up on him he has gone down in my estimation now :lol:

#5 User is offline   The_Magic_Man 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:16 AM

Why?! He's got the chance to play in a higher league, for a bigger club and probably for a higher wage (even though Wednesday are in all this debt, they still manage to pay a fair bit, what's all that about?!) If he chose Wednesday over Chesterfield, that would surely be the best move for his career would it not? It's a shame but we have to be realistic.

#6 User is offline   SpireiteDan 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:17 AM

spireiteblue, on Jun 14 2005, 12:11 PM, said:

I best dump the pic i have up on him he has gone down in my estimation now  :lol:
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How? would you turn down first team football and a nice pay package if you had the chance, if anyone blame the the club (ours) as yet again they have probably let another potentially great signing slip away, people keep saying that he is contracted to wolves etc but if wednesday get offers eccepted why cant we? (we have money to spend for the first time in years) he is proven in a chesterfield shirt and thats why he is constently mentioned on these boards, it was obvious he was going to get snapped up eventually because hes a very good player, wolves and sammy wont miss out, just us.

#7 User is offline   First of the gang 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:17 AM

can't blame him though can you, as much as it hurts to say, better facilities, more money and championship football

#8 Guest_Mark Jones_*

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:30 AM

SpireiteDan, on Jun 14 2005, 12:17 PM, said:

How? would you turn down first team football and a nice pay package if you had the chance, if anyone blame the the club (ours) as yet again they have probably let another potentially great signing slip away, people keep saying that he is contracted to wolves etc but if wednesday get offers eccepted why cant we? (we have money to spend for the first time in years) he is proven in a chesterfield shirt and thats why he is constently mentioned on these boards, it was obvious he was going to get snapped up eventually because hes a very good player, wolves and sammy wont miss out, just us.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why blame the club? If the club offer him the most they can afford for him to play in League One and Wed offer him more money and Championship football, why is that the clubs fault? Do you think we should go to the banks for a loan to pay his wages?

Anyway, he hasn't signed for anyone yet.

#9 User is offline   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:30 AM

SpireiteDan, on Jun 14 2005, 12:17 PM, said:

if anyone blame the the club (ours) as yet again they have probably let another potentially great signing slip away<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't know he had signed for them but I am certain that the wage offer must be more than double what we offered; if a fee is involved I am sure a Championship club with five-times our gate will outbid us.

I an afraid that in a short career you have to take the money. I like my job but if I was offered double my salary for cleaning bogs in Sheffield I would probably take it.
Peter Whiteley

#10 User is offline   SpireiteDan 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:35 AM

Mark Jones, on Jun 14 2005, 12:30 PM, said:

Why blame the club?  If the club offer him the most they can afford for him to play in League One and Wed offer him more money and Championship football, why is that the clubs fault?  Do you think we should go to the banks for a loan to pay his wages?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didnt say that, im questioning whether we are even chasing him in the first place. And you say this about not being able to afford him, I wonder how many people can afford to buy season tickets, sometimes 3-4 a go? but they still do! We missed out on JCR because the club were'nt prepared to take a gamble, rotherham will probably get a tidy sum for him instead and now we have missed out on another potentially big fee, its ok for the club to make specualtion about premiership players etc but i dont want speculation, i want a team on that field that for the first time in years can compete with the best in the league.

#11 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:40 AM

SpireiteDan, on Jun 14 2005, 12:35 PM, said:

I didnt say that, im questioning whether we are even chasing him in the first place. And you say this about not being able to afford him, I wonder how many people can afford to buy season tickets, sometimes 3-4 a go? but they still do! We missed out on JCR because the club were'nt prepared to take a gamble, rotherham will probably get a tidy sum for him instead and now we have missed out on another potentially big fee, its ok for the club to make specualtion about premiership players etc but i dont want speculation, i want a team on that field that for the first time in years can compete with the best in the league.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been saying that for ages especially this "i want a team on that field that for the first time in years can compete with the best in the league."but all i got was lame excuses like have we got to get a bank loan to fund it etc.If we start wining things then the money will flow in.

#12 User is offline   Majorca Mac 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:41 AM

dalekpete, on Jun 14 2005, 11:30 AM, said:

I didn't know he had signed for them but I am certain that the wage offer must be more than double what we offered; if a fee is involved I am sure a Championship club with five-times our gate will outbid us.

I an afraid that in a short career you have to take the money.  I like my job but if I was offered double my salary for cleaning bogs in Sheffield I would probably take it.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But he loved it at Saltergate. Why should money come into it? If it's a case of money, we're loaded. Why don't we make use of the £150k from Evatt sale - rather than just leave it lying around. This clubs lack of ambition stinks. <_<

#13 User is offline   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:43 AM

We missed out on JCR because the club were'nt prepared to take a gamble,
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you that we did miss out because we weren't prepared to gamble. In that I support the Club 100%.

I would rather have a sustainable Club than one player no matter how special.
Peter Whiteley

#14 Guest_Mark Jones_*

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:43 AM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry mate, you did say that.

You think we should gamble with the future of the club on one player?

I think we need to agree to disagree on this one.

#15 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:48 AM

http://www.wolves.premiumtv.co.uk/page/New...~674265,00.html

Its obvious Clingan isn't in Wolves plans yet another player who can play in midfield to be signed up.

#16 User is offline   Cosmo Kramer 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:48 AM

spireiteblue, on Jun 14 2005, 12:40 PM, said:

I've been saying that for ages especially this "i want a team on that field that for the first time in years can compete with the best in the league."but all i got was lame excuses like have we got to get a bank loan to fund it etc.If we start wining things then the money will flow in.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Christ on a bike! Have you been drinking with Peter Risdale? Its exactly that attitude that has almost runied numerous clubs over the last few years. I can't believe that you can propose that we hock the future of the club on the off chance that we start winning things or that someone comes in with a big offer for a player who may or may not repeat the form that he showed whilst on loan here.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

#17 User is offline   SpireiteDan 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:50 AM

Mark Jones, on Jun 14 2005, 12:43 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

C'mon its not as if we're talking about Ronaldinho here!, i dont think i ever said raise the wage structure (although that may be done with this prem player) but whats wrong with making him have to make a desicion, even if what we offered something which was not half of what wednesday did, at least we tried. Why does the club always look at things from a negative point of view? like what can go wrong etc? what about thinking about the 100s, 1000s even extra that would come through the gate, the extra points we would gain by having a quality player on the pitch, I guess im just going to have to realise we cant compete with most teams.

#18 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:51 AM

Mark Jones, on Jun 14 2005, 12:43 PM, said:

Sorry mate, you did say that.

I think we need to agree to disagree on this one.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its not all about one player though is it,its about building a team up who can win things which in turn will bring in much needed cash,its about time you gave up this crap about our team is/will die if we don't do anything about it rubbish,this club will be here when we've all gone.

#19 User is offline   dannypearson 

• MBB Players player of the year
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:footy and beer.

currently addicted to ebay and on line poker

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:53 AM

SpireiteDan, on Jun 14 2005, 12:50 PM, said:

C'mon its not as if we're talking about Ronaldinho here!, i dont think i ever said raise the wage structure (although that may be done with this prem player) but whats wrong with making him have to make a desicion, even if what we offered something which was not half of what wednesday did, at least we tried. Why does the club always look at things from a negative point of view? like what can go wrong etc? what about thinking about the 100s, 1000s even extra that would come through the gate, the extra points we would gain by having a quality player on the pitch, I guess im just going to have to realise we cant compete with most teams.<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course we can't. The football league has put a wage cap, based on the income each club has (can't remember the exact percentage) - as our income is one of the lowest in the league then obviously we cannot compete financially. This is where we need a good manager (Roy Mac) to unearth gems for us on a shoestring budget.
This week, I have been mostly... drinking excessively

#20 Guest_Mark Jones_*

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:54 AM

SpireiteDan, on Jun 14 2005, 12:50 PM, said:

C'mon its not as if we're talking about Ronaldinho here!, i dont think i ever said raise the wage structure (although that may be done with this prem player) but whats wrong with making him have to make a desicion, even if what we offered something which was not half of what wednesday did, at least we tried. Why does the club always look at things from a negative point of view? like what can go wrong etc? what about thinking about the 100s, 1000s even extra that would come through the gate, the extra points we would gain by having a quality player on the pitch, I guess im just going to have to realise we cant compete with most teams.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We're talking about a player who could demand in wages more than we could afford.

How do you know we are not in talks with him? How do you know the club hasn't offered him the best deal it possibly can?

Maybe they haven't, but maybe they have. Its alright saying gamble and he will push up the gates.. what if he breaks his leg in the first game of the season? will the crowds still come to see him sit in the stands?

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users