• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

real football

#41 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:11 PM

sam, on Jun 12 2005, 11:31 PM, said:

Was having a 'discussion' the other day about 'real football' now I argued on end untill I got my point across (as usual)

Is it just me that considers Premiership Football as a joke in some matters, not only is everything just controlled by money, there is no real hopes, dreams and ambitions for me in Prem footie. No real long-term goal of being able to get higher, alot of people will argue the case of the Champions League, UEFA etc but at the end of the day for me I would rather enjoy the feeling of promotion or play-off victory this is where it comes to the basis, Chesterfield FC is real football.

Many people who visit Saltergate return home with the same attitude pulling to pieces our ground and the fact we have no money. For me Saltergate may not be an idealistic ground and fair enough yes it is gradually falling to pieces but for me it is a real football ground.

Wooden benches for seats, posts in the way on every stand coming home with splinters in your bum. But for me those were the highlights of being a kid. Getting ready before the game wearing your shirt on top of a jumper, pair of tights on underneath your jeans, pair of socks on the top. Dr Martens boots, Spireite scarf that you'd wear every single game and yet it never managed to find it's way into the wash, gloves so when you had your drink you didn't burn your fingers!! Hair tied up high with blue&white ribbons hanging down.Walking up St Margeret's Drive after purchasing a programme the voice beckoning getting closer "FIFTAAAAAAY FIFTAAAAAAY!",  walking through the turnstiles and hearing the music echoing underneath the stands.

Wondering up and down the Family Stand looking for somewhere to sit with the best possible view with no posts in the way and a front-seat view of the team running up and down in two columns, Dychey leading the lads in training. Listening to Howard call out the team line-ups. Sat down in the freezing cold but with the comforting smell of Bovril hovering in the air. Looking round at all the Grandma's and Grandad's arranging their blanket's on the bench whilst they go rummaging through their bag to unveal a big flask of hot coffee to keep them warm through-out the 90 minutes.

Looking over at all the hundreds of fan's on the Kop screaming and shouting for the lad's no matter what the score, always an atmosphere and whenever the ball was to be put in the back of the net that was it the Kop errupted. Seeing the man with the inflatable crooked spire made out of plastic bags with 'Up The Blues' felt-tipped onto the plastic, just to show his support for the lads.

Now we may not have Mourinhio's millions but to be quite frankly honest I'd rather be in our posistion than Chelsea's we have hope's and dream's of success and getting as high as we possibly can. Once Chelsea have completed and achieved everything that's it. They've done everything. Now I know I'd rather be at Saltergate every two weeks and following town up and down the country for the rest of the time then wasting pathetic money watching a team with no dreams.

The team we support is a real football team, with a real football ground and real fans.

And I will always be proud to be a Spireite, untill the day I die.  :D
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Brilliant Sam; as you probably know I'm not a local, but what you express sums up exactly why I support my local team. You are absolutely right, the soul has gone out of Premiership football, and what we experience following the Spireites is much more real. Fans like you aren't put off by a miserable defeat on a cold wet afternoon miles from home, because it's all part of being a true supporter, and by 'eck, it doesn't half make it feel great when the good moments come along.

#42 Guest_spireiteblue_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:12 PM

Mr Mercury, on Jun 13 2005, 08:02 PM, said:

Bl00dy hell you agreeing with Sam, then I`ve got to agree with you about "how can you support two teams".. Things must be looking up. :D

Mr Mercury
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't care if you agree,disagree,like, dislike,love,hate or anything else its my life and i will do whatever i please,i'll support every team in the land if i want and there is nothing you or anyone can do about it.

#43 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:14 PM

sophocles, on Jun 13 2005, 08:11 PM, said:

Brilliant Sam; as you probably know I'm not a local, but what you express sums up exactly why I support my local team. You are absolutely right, the soul has gone out of Premiership football, and what we experience following the Spireites is much more real. Fans like you aren't put off by a miserable defeat on a cold wet afternoon miles from home, because it's all part of being a true supporter, and by 'eck, it doesn't half make it feel great when the good moments come along.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If your not local Soph who is your local team ?.

#44 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:17 PM

spireiteblue, on Jun 13 2005, 07:14 PM, said:

If your not local Soph who is your local team ?.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry for that ambiguous statement; what I meant is that I don't ORIGINATE locally, being a Glaswegian (Ibrox) by birth, but I live locally now (Pilsley), so I have a loyalty to my local team.

#45 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:20 PM

sophocles, on Jun 13 2005, 08:17 PM, said:

Sorry for that ambiguous statement; what I meant is that I don't ORIGINATE locally, being a Glaswegian (Ibrox) by birth, but I live locally now (Pilsley), so I have a loyalty to my local team.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats cool welcome aboard but i suspect you've been here for a while.

#46 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:21 PM

spireiteblue, on Jun 13 2005, 09:12 PM, said:

I don't care if you agree,disagree,like, dislike,love,hate or anything else its my life and i will do whatever i please,i'll support every team in the land if i want and there is nothing you or anyone can do about it.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SO THERE... :D :lol: :lol:

Mr Mercury.
East stand second class citizen.

#47 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:22 PM

Mr Mercury, on Jun 13 2005, 08:21 PM, said:

SO THERE... :D  :lol:  :lol:

Mr Mercury.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You got rid of your progs yet i see a small fortune in stamps :lol:

#48 User is offline   dannypearson 

• MBB Players player of the year
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:footy and beer.

currently addicted to ebay and on line poker

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:25 PM

This is one for Sam.

At what point did Wigan fans stop being real fans?

Non league, League 2(or it's equivelent when Wigan were in it), League 1, The Championship or the Premier League.

Because from what I read into your post We are real fans (League 1) yet Wigan aren't (Premier league) yet we were playing them 2 seasons ago.

(This is not a dampener on your excellently written post, just an after-thought that's all)
This week, I have been mostly... drinking excessively

#49 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:28 PM

I can't believe Wigan have got £20 million to spend on new players,good luck to em i say i just hope its us one day.

#50 User is offline   Sam 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Then...Now...Forever a Spireite....

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:39 PM

dannypearson, on Jun 13 2005, 07:25 PM, said:

This is one for Sam.

At what point did Wigan fans stop being real fans?

Non league, League 2(or it's equivelent when Wigan were in it), League 1, The Championship or the Premier League.

Because from what I read into your post We are real fans (League 1) yet Wigan aren't (Premier league) yet we were playing them 2 seasons ago.

(This is not a dampener on your excellently written post, just an after-thought that's all)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wigan have worked themselves up with their own hard work and having a brilliant manager(s) to get them there....

Not by having money like the rest this is where I look at managers like Big Sam and have nothing but praise for doing so much with his team finishing 7th in the Premiership when they have alot less money than the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Ure etc.
Reach for the moon, if you fall short you'll still be amongst the stars...

#51 User is offline   dannypearson 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:41 PM

sam, on Jun 13 2005, 08:39 PM, said:

Wigan have worked themselves up with their own hard work and having a brilliant manager(s) to get them there....

Not by having money like the rest this is where I look at managers like Big Sam and have nothing but praise for doing so much with his team finishing 7th in the Premiership when they have alot less money than the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Ure etc.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fair do's then

#52 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:42 PM

sam, on Jun 13 2005, 08:39 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But Sam even Premiership teams started out with nothing,teams like Wigan are leaving us behind fairly regularly now,right now i would settle for a go in the championship(old second division which you won't remember).

#53 User is offline   Sam 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:06 PM

Why do you always have to pass comment on what I say? If you don't agree with my original post which you obviously don't then just don't comment on it. That is what I feel about my team, most people agree with me you choose no to. You will never change my opinion on this team and the fact I believe this team and ground, fans are real....and the fact I love being able to say I'm a Spireite. People may laugh and pass judgement on me but to be honest I couldn't give a toss what others think... I'm proud of where I'm from and I'm proud of the team in which I support...live with it.

#54 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:34 PM

sam, on Jun 13 2005, 09:39 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Must disagree with Wigan not having money.
They have been bankrolled to a massive extent by their chairman/owner, the owner of jjb sports. Unfrotunatly in todays money grabbing world if it wasn`t for the input of him Wigan would still be playing us next season.

Mr Mercury.

#55 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:38 PM

spireiteblue, on Jun 13 2005, 09:22 PM, said:

You got rid of your progs yet i see a small fortune in stamps  :rolleyes:
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I want to get rid of my programmes I will, I dont care what you say, they`re mine so I can get rid if I like, I don`t care if it costs me money. I`m not going to put them in loft now because you suggested it so there. Any more posts from you and I`ll stamp my feet all night.

See what a spanner your previous post made you look like now?

Mr Mercury

#56 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 13 June 2005 - 08:45 PM

Mr Mercury, on Jun 13 2005, 09:38 PM, said:

If I want to get rid of my programmes I will, I dont care what you say, they`re mine so I can get rid if I like, I don`t care if it costs me money. I`m not going to put them in loft now because you suggested it so there. Any more posts from you and I`ll stamp my feet all night.

Mr Mercury
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Another option bring them to the open day put em on a stall with a price sticker of your choice or accept offers,give the proceeds to the club.

#57 User is offline   dannypearson 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:06 PM

spireiteblue, on Jun 13 2005, 09:45 PM, said:

Another option bring them to the open day put em on a stall with a price sticker of your choice or accept offers,give the proceeds to the club.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Excelleny idea blue - a sign with all reasonable offers accepted would do the trick

#58 User is offline   Lorraine 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:24 PM

Mr Mercury, on Jun 13 2005, 08:38 PM, said:

Mr Mercury
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just for a change I'm not getting involved in these arguments, sorry debates/discussions/opinions - but that did make me laugh. Out loud as it happens. lol.

#59 User is offline   Sam 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:51 PM

...I've now just wrote a longer 'essay' about town including what I had posted before 3 pages long and only took me hour and a half to write!

#60 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:53 PM

sam, on Jun 13 2005, 10:51 PM, said:

...I've now just wrote a longer 'essay' about town including what I had posted before 3 pages long and only took me hour and a half to write!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My memories on town alone would fill a book :rolleyes:

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users