• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Playing Out From The Back

#21 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 13 October 2023 - 05:18 AM

Sometimes, playing it long has paid dividends for us. Like after a set piece, when their centre backs have been forward, but patiently playing out from the back has provided us with lots of goals and leading the pack.yes it's cost us goals, and we needed to tighten up, which we have done. There's some good footballers playing for us, who now know Cook's system and are delivering the goods, but they all know they're one or maybe two bad performances away from losing their place, so there's no resting on their laurels.

#22 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 October 2023 - 06:46 AM

View Postdim view, on 12 October 2023 - 06:04 PM, said:

We've conceded 21 goals - more than enough data to use as a basis for a proper analysis on faffing. Why don't you do one?

Dim I dare say you have suggested this knowing full well we have yet to concede a goal from said faffing around at the back this season 😉

#23 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 13 October 2023 - 07:27 AM

View PostGoku, on 13 October 2023 - 06:46 AM, said:

Dim I dare say you have suggested this knowing full well we have yet to concede a goal from said faffing around at the back this season 😉

True.
It’s examples like these that lead to some of us catastrophising the pit a pat at the back.
https://www.youtube....h?v=U3VbSnhpHGc

#24 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 13 October 2023 - 07:38 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 13 October 2023 - 07:27 AM, said:

True.
It’s examples like these that lead to some of us catastrophising the pit a pat at the back.
https://www.youtube....h?v=U3VbSnhpHGc

Catastrophising is what you’re doing my friend. I’m not actually sure if we’ve not conceded a goal from playing it around at the back this season but let’s say we haven’t. That’s 15 games with 0 faff goals conceded. Extrapolate that over a season. Perhaps we concede 1 or 2. No reason to panic. Don’t panic any more please.

Seriously though, if we actually haven’t conceded a goal by passing around at the back this season that’s really good going for a National League club.

#25 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 13 October 2023 - 07:42 AM

Was it Sam Alladyce who said something along the lines of “if we, Bolton, play a 50yd ball to Kevin Davies it’s big boot, but if Man Utd play a similar ball to Van Nistleroy it’s a superb pass” or words to that effect?
East stand second class citizen.

#26 User is offline   Mr_Pleasant 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 October 2023 - 07:55 AM

View PostGoku, on 13 October 2023 - 07:38 AM, said:

Catastrophising is what you’re doing my friend. I’m not actually sure if we’ve not conceded a goal from playing it around at the back this season but let’s say we haven’t. That’s 15 games with 0 faff goals conceded. Extrapolate that over a season. Perhaps we concede 1 or 2. No reason to panic. Don’t panic any more please.

Seriously though, if we actually haven’t conceded a goal by passing around at the back this season that’s really good going for a National League club.

Particularly so when we essentially have National League defenders being asked to play in a way that they probably have never been used to doing. And we've let in 2 in the last 4 games. 7 in the last 8. When we won League 2 under Cook for all the nice football we didn't let many in and I think we are starting to get back to that blueprint.

#27 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 13 October 2023 - 08:18 AM

View PostGoku, on 13 October 2023 - 06:46 AM, said:

It's a fool topic in't it if there are no examples.

I can't be assed to look but from memory I'd say there are a couple of examples where one of the '3' has failed to control a ball that has been passed to him in a high risk area - in his own half with his back to goal and under pressure - that has squirted to an opponent in space, and that has led to a ball in behind that has resulted in a concession.
This is such a high percentage attacking ploy though that no reasonable supporter would demand that Cook stops doing it. One of those '3' beating the press has a fabulous success rate for us. Colclough made a goal last week in spite of being marked by 2 men.

Also, a stated 50% success rate for the long ball gaining us possession is cloud cuckoo land.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#28 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 13 October 2023 - 08:19 AM

Presumably its something we work a lot on in training so its not like they are doing it without working on it. You can see the keepers working on it so the back four will be as well.

#29 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 14 October 2023 - 09:45 AM

View Posth again, on 12 October 2023 - 05:40 PM, said:

Like the OP says, there's for and against. What lets the system down is playing a short ball to a defender when we've got people free upfield - this usually results in a bout of short passing in the defence, followed by the inevitable long ball upfield, by which time the opposition have got organised.
In the end it comes down to a player's intelligence and choosing the best option. Fortunately we seem to have some intelligent players.

It’s not fortune though is it?

Cookie knows the type of player he needs to play his style of play and brought exactly those type of players to the club, they didn’t arrive here by chance.

#30 User is offline   BeastMode 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC, WWE, Tunes n Beer

Posted 14 October 2023 - 10:04 AM

View PostKevoBMMD, on 12 October 2023 - 09:34 AM, said:

I coach U7's and even we try to play out from the keeper. So far it seems to work well and Won us 2 Tournaments. We are also unbeaten in the NDYFL and currently 3rd in the SDJFL.

I say if it isn't broken do not try and fix it.

Aren’t there rules in place where the opposition team have to be in their own half from a goal kick at that age though?
"There is but a plank between a Sailor and eternity"

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users