• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Todays Semi

#21 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 April 2024 - 09:44 AM

Seen a video of the offside decision from another angle and he looks about 3 yards onside!

#22 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2024 - 09:55 AM

View Posttrickytrevsfanclub, on 22 April 2024 - 09:33 AM, said:

It’s irrelevant which team it was. VAR sucks the life out of football, that excitement that utter joy of the moment is put on hold whilst something is forensically analysed. Football, any sport, isn’t about someone in an office drawing imaginary lines.

Correct. Football is dead at the top level.

#23 User is offline   essexspireman 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2024 - 02:04 PM

View PostJonB, on 22 April 2024 - 09:44 AM, said:

Seen a video of the offside decision from another angle and he looks about 3 yards onside!

this is the video - looks like they were robbed

https://twitter.com/...311679864246348

#24 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 22 April 2024 - 02:09 PM

Also pics flying about that the line for WB was half way up his foot rather than at his toe, conspiracies eh?
East stand second class citizen.

#25 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 22 April 2024 - 02:12 PM

essexspireman, on 22 April 2024 - 02:04 PM, said:

this is the video - looks like they were robbed

https://twitter.com/...311679864246348

Thats the one, as you say on that footage it looks iffy but annoyingly they are not in the picture at the same time. Part of the reason it was close was because Wright sort of checked his run and came back as Wan Bissaka carried on back towards goal so it could be that making it look way onside on that video. I've also seen the blown up images of where they drew the line as well which dont look good.

#26 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 22 April 2024 - 06:16 PM

Phew!

Saw the title and thought this thread might be about summat entirely different...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#27 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 22 April 2024 - 06:25 PM

Mr Mercury, on 22 April 2024 - 02:09 PM, said:

Also pics flying about that the line for WB was half way up his foot rather than at his toe, conspiracies eh?

No one seems to be questioning the penalty they were awarded to force extra time?

Seemed very harsh, and if that’s given against us this board would have a 5 page thread about it! (Especially when you consider it the one Chelsea weren’t awarded the day before).

#28 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 22 April 2024 - 06:35 PM

Sammy Spireite, on 22 April 2024 - 06:25 PM, said:

No one seems to be questioning the penalty they were awarded to force extra time?

Seemed very harsh, and if that’s given against us this board would have a 5 page thread about it! (Especially when you consider it the one Chelsea weren’t awarded the day before).

Yes that was another strange one, Grealish certainly seemed to move his arm back towards the ball, albeit reactionary.

#29 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 22 April 2024 - 06:36 PM

Mr Mercury, on 22 April 2024 - 06:35 PM, said:

Yes that was another strange one, Grealish certainly seemed to move his arm back towards the ball, albeit reactionary.

The ref obviously didn’t see it to give anything as he gave a goal kick not a corner.

#30 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 22 April 2024 - 06:50 PM

trickytrevsfanclub, on 22 April 2024 - 09:33 AM, said:

It’s irrelevant which team it was. VAR sucks the life out of football, that excitement that utter joy of the moment is put on hold whilst something is forensically analysed. Football, any sport, isn’t about someone in an office drawing imaginary lines.

VAR isn't being used for what it was brought in for. It was supposedly a goal line decision maker, but it's turned into what we saw at the weekend. A toe or the back of the heel can mean the difference between glory and bust. I'm glad that it's not used in the EFL, at present.

#31 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 22 April 2024 - 06:54 PM

Osborne again, on 22 April 2024 - 06:50 PM, said:

VAR isn't being used for what it was brought in for. It was supposedly a goal line decision maker, but it's turned into what we saw at the weekend. A toe or the back of the heel can mean the difference between glory and bust. I'm glad that it's not used in the EFL, at present.

Goal line technology was brought in for goal line decisions not what VAR was brought in for, but I agree it’s a complete eff up!

#32 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2024 - 08:31 AM

Mr Mercury, on 22 April 2024 - 06:54 PM, said:

Goal line technology was brought in for goal line decisions not what VAR was brought in for, but I agree it's a complete eff up!

Agree. An offside measured, not by a linesman, but the meticulous precision of a computerised camera down to a couple of millimetres is ruining the game. Great sympathy for Coventry fans.

#33 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 23 April 2024 - 08:46 AM

Believe the semi automated VAR offside stuff as used elsewhere in Europe and in the last World Cup is being brought into the Premier League for next season....no idea what bits are automated but apparently will speed things up. Suspect it automatically detects where to draw the lines.

#34 User is offline   Rogerwillis 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 23 April 2024 - 11:24 AM

Todays semi is tomorrows boner

#35 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 23 April 2024 - 11:33 AM

Rogerwillis, on 23 April 2024 - 11:24 AM, said:

Todays semi is tomorrows boner

~ Mahatma Ghandi

#36 User is offline   Doughnut 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2024 - 07:26 PM

View Postfrearsghost, on 23 April 2024 - 08:31 AM, said:

Agree. An offside measured, not by a linesman, but the meticulous precision of a computerised camera down to a couple of millimetres is ruining the game. Great sympathy for Coventry fans.

I'm a bit on the fence about this. I want VAR but I want it to be better and faster. Such a system like Hawkeye works in cricket because the very nature of the game is stop start. Not the same with football.

Rewind 10 years (!) and officials were making the wrong decisions because they cannot simultaneously watch the ball leaving the boot whilst watching the position of the striker in relation to the defender; or not sure if the player was tripped inside or outside of the box etc. The multiple TV angles provide a replay showing the goal that was given offside should have been given because a big toe, elbow (name a body part) was actually playing him onside. Cue the interviews afterwards with managers complaining these decisions can cost multiples of millions of pounds by the end of the season. Surely the technology exists to make the correct decision.

Now we have the technology we're complaining (in some instances) that forensic level investigations are resulting in the right decision being made because it was only millimetres, only a few centimetres, only his knee cap... well, then the right decision was made. Why are we complaining that the correct decision was made?

It is never going to be a perfect system because we have human involvement and there has been some absolute howlers, but I would suggest this is because of how humans are interpreting or using the technology, not the technology.

What is ruining the game is it is too slow and not always used correctly. I still believe the problems lie predominantly in the humans using the technology, not the technology. Surely, we can improve on this?!?

This post has been edited by Doughnut: 26 April 2024 - 07:56 PM

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users