Bristol Rovers Ko Change

#21 User is offline   Norton Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:all things Spireites - and Liverpool

Posted 26 July 2023 - 09:23 AM

View PostCFC91, on 24 July 2023 - 07:09 PM, said:

That’s not the experience I have of using public transport in this country and I travel on trains every week. They’re a disgrace - pricing, quality of service, reliance of service etc etc

none of those points you raise, however valid, are related to a comparison to being cramped on a train compared to a car.

#22 User is offline   Norton Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2023 - 09:27 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 24 July 2023 - 06:45 PM, said:

It'll be a bit of a challenge to get from the station to Bear Pit island and then negotiate the Cheltenham Rd. (2 mile plus of standing traffic) in 20 minutes

May well be, but the originator of the train discussion would have known this was the earliest train from Chesterfield (assuming he's/she's travelling from Chesterfield), so if this is a factor i'd say it completely blows this option out of the water no matter what price or how cramped he thinks trains are.

#23 User is offline   Norton Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2023 - 09:32 AM

View Postmr. smith, on 24 July 2023 - 06:51 PM, said:

can i ask the last time you were on public transport? the aisle is used to cram more standing passengers on the last few times ive been on a train.
the pricing structure is a shambles & the travelling conditions are a disgrace.

You can, and i've been both to Manchester and London from Chesterfield. Manchester was a bit of a mare to start with for a few stops but once people started to get off along the way there was plenty of space. And the london trip was busy but easily able to walk up and down the train.

Now i'm not saying we have the best rail service in the world, far from it. i'm a regular rail traveller in europe and its hands down miles better, but by the same token its not as bad as was being made out.

#24 User is offline   SocraticCFC 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 26 July 2023 - 09:51 AM

View PostHolmesc1, on 25 July 2023 - 06:10 PM, said:

How on earth is that complex? Its a open return to bristol which can be used on any operator although theres only one that offers a direct route.

If you've ever travelled - the whole thing is riddled with complexity and market-led price structure. I'm on the side of 'public service' where fares are cheaper simpler and not where some tickets are restricted to certain operators. At peak times, the prices increase dramatically. Instead of adding more trains or longer trains, simply put the prices up. Classic case where peak demand is price-led and not supply led.

#25 User is online   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2023 - 10:05 AM

View PostSocraticCFC, on 26 July 2023 - 09:51 AM, said:

If you've ever travelled - the whole thing is riddled with complexity and market-led price structure. I'm on the side of 'public service' where fares are cheaper simpler and not where some tickets are restricted to certain operators. At peak times, the prices increase dramatically. Instead of adding more trains or longer trains, simply put the prices up. Classic case where peak demand is price-led and not supply led.

Do you know anything where peak demand is not price led? Holidays? Hotels? Telephone (back in the day when people had land lines)? The alterative of course would be to have higher prices all the time.

I do agree that tickets should be A to B, whatever operator and there should be no ability to use split tickets to get it cheaper - bizarrely I do a 30 min journye 3 times a week for work and I could save 10p a day if I split my ticket on that journey!

Putting more trains on requires capacity and stock, putting longer trains on at least part of that. There appears to be no incentives for the train cos or network rail to do that - otherwise I am sure they would!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#26 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2023 - 10:24 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 26 July 2023 - 10:05 AM, said:

Do you know anything where peak demand is not price led? Holidays? Hotels? Telephone (back in the day when people had land lines)? The alterative of course would be to have higher prices all the time.

I do agree that tickets should be A to B, whatever operator and there should be no ability to use split tickets to get it cheaper - bizarrely I do a 30 min journye 3 times a week for work and I could save 10p a day if I split my ticket on that journey!

Putting more trains on requires capacity and stock, putting longer trains on at least part of that. There appears to be no incentives for the train cos or network rail to do that - otherwise I am sure they would!

There should be no need.

#27 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 26 July 2023 - 10:29 AM

Yeah hotels also seem to use peak and off peal procing, a few restraunt do too. The chain hotels must have some automated system, as soon as a large event is on nearby prices are whacked up even if the hotels half empty

#28 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 26 July 2023 - 10:37 AM

Do you know anything where peak demand is not price led?

Like the old joke that if you are not sure when the school holidays are just check prices on the Center Parcs website!

#29 User is offline   Andy Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Er..............Town!

Posted 26 July 2023 - 11:03 AM

View PostHolmesc1, on 26 July 2023 - 10:29 AM, said:

Yeah hotels also seem to use peak and off peal procing, a few restraunt do too. The chain hotels must have some automated system, as soon as a large event is on nearby prices are whacked up even if the hotels half empty

I know most airlines use a system called PROS to set prices which considers a whole load of data to come up with the most optimal price in real time. I suspect hotel chains either use the same product or something very similar.

#30 User is online   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2023 - 11:33 AM

View PostAndy Spireite, on 26 July 2023 - 11:03 AM, said:

I know most airlines use a system called PROS to set prices which considers a whole load of data to come up with the most optimal price in real time. I suspect hotel chains either use the same product or something very similar.

yep a number of products such as Duetto, Eazy etc that have feeds to loads of different info sources as well as mapping current bookings at that hotel and others nearby it can access to determine a suitable price, you can override it if you want but it will suggest...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#31 User is online   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2023 - 11:36 AM

View Postmr. smith, on 26 July 2023 - 10:24 AM, said:

There should be no need.

charge more at off peak, would damage sales and therefore employment, as well as divis potentially payable to your pension scheme. Making a profit isnt a crime its what allows businesses to grow and employ more people...

Good call. I'll see if we can apply a standard price all year from tomorrow. I doubt it will have a positive return on investment so I might be laughed out of the meeting...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#32 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend

Posted 26 July 2023 - 02:34 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 26 July 2023 - 11:36 AM, said:

charge more at off peak, would damage sales and therefore employment, as well as divis potentially payable to your pension scheme. Making a profit isnt a crime its what allows businesses to grow and employ more people...

Good call. I'll see if we can apply a standard price all year from tomorrow. I doubt it will have a positive return on investment so I might be laughed out of the meeting...

there should be no need because if I can get from AtoB for say £40 by breaking it up into smaller journeys why not just make it £40 anyway? the £40 breaking it up is still making a profit for the train companies so they'll not miss out (& neither will your beloved pension scheme).

#33 User is online   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 July 2023 - 03:29 PM

View Postmr. smith, on 26 July 2023 - 02:34 PM, said:

there should be no need because if I can get from AtoB for say £40 by breaking it up into smaller journeys why not just make it £40 anyway? the £40 breaking it up is still making a profit for the train companies so they'll not miss out (& neither will your beloved pension scheme).

I'd agree that splitting shouldnt make any saving. I disagree that making prices cheap (loss leaders as we used to call them) to encourage use when its quiet is good, but charging a market price when you can to recover the losses (as well as a return) is also fair.

Everyone's pension, the returns come from investments that generate dividends and capital growth which generally needs a profit.....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#34 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 29 July 2023 - 09:40 AM

Does bringing the KO forward mean we have had to travel overnight or were we going to the expense of staying overnight anyway?

I suppose doing a wrexham and flying down would be a stretch!!

This post has been edited by clarevoyant.: 29 July 2023 - 09:42 AM

Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#35 User is online   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 29 July 2023 - 09:48 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 29 July 2023 - 09:40 AM, said:

Does bringing the KO forward mean we have had to travel overnight or were we going to the expense of staying overnight anyway?

presumably it's been done to enable streaming.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#36 User is online   Valley Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2023 - 09:56 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 29 July 2023 - 09:40 AM, said:

I suppose doing a wrexham and flying down would be a stretch!!

If we were staying overnight regardless and the kick off time hasn’t forced it, is that an unnecessary expense to occur for a pre-season friendly at this level?

Genuine question but you’d imagine there would be a plethora of similar standards opposition that wouldn’t require an overnight stay.

All hypothetical I suppose as I’m not aware if it’s actually an issue at all.

#37 User is online   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 29 July 2023 - 10:45 AM

View Postdim view, on 29 July 2023 - 09:48 AM, said:

presumably it's been done to enable streaming.

Don't think the 3pm blackout counts for Pre-season friendlies so I doubt it's that
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#38 User is offline   SpireiteStan 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2023 - 11:24 AM

Is it showing on anyone's IPTV as a listing yet?

#39 User is offline   PontePete 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2023 - 11:28 AM

No Colclough in the squad?
Hater of all things Scab!

#40 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 29 July 2023 - 11:57 AM

Who's the outfield triallist on the bench then??

Rumours only please... 👍
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users