Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Wigan Bid For Clucas - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wigan Bid For Clucas

#61 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:24 PM

View Postfreelander2, on 19 May 2015 - 06:20 PM, said:

I wonder when the bids were received, would PC have been aware of them?

They were in the last 7 days. ??

#62 User is offline   RikShaw 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:39 PM

View PostToddhopper., on 19 May 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

Please enlighten me as to the joke everyone is making & I'm unaware of.

Try lightening up a bit. You might find it enlightening 😉
We clearly don't share the same sense of humour. Let's leave it at that shall we?

#63 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:55 PM

If Wigan had their heads screwed on they would make offers for Clucas and Roberts, and snap up Ryan. Wigan close to Liverpool so would be attractive to JR and GR. If they were able to take SC and GR maybe we could adjust the deal to deny mansfield a few quid?

This post has been edited by Spire-Power: 19 May 2015 - 06:55 PM

#64 User is offline   t11cky 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:56 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 19 May 2015 - 04:40 PM, said:

That's the knock-on effect. If I had any ambition & saw Clucas sold I'd be asking my agent to sort a move too.

Well at least I know Im not alone on them thoughts!

#65 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:56 PM

View PostGoku, on 19 May 2015 - 05:45 PM, said:

we're like the whores in the red light district rubbing our breasts against the window, asking people to come and pay for us

(in instalments with sell on clauses)

Interesting analogy. Maybe you do have a problem lol

#66 User is offline   Blueprint 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2015 - 06:59 PM

View Postbucko, on 19 May 2015 - 05:36 PM, said:

Then take into account the percentage sell on due for mansfield town and 500k is a snip, if he goes for that we know we've big big problems!!

Well if we have turned down a bid of £500k as it's no where near our valuation of him then he isn't gonna go for £500k.

I wonder if Saunders knows that he can find a replacement for Clucas who will be cheaper than Clucas and pretty similar in terms of talent. Clucas is like a better and younger Drew Talbot, versatile, but a better goalscorer. If Saunders can sort our striker situation out by bringing in a 20 goal a season man then we won't need to play Clucas up front. We have Dan jones at left back, and we have wingers. Although Clucas is versatile and very good we have other players who can be just as good where he plays. If Saunders can bring in cheaper players as "back ups" albeit good ones, then there are certain players we won't miss too much.

We haven't exactly missed Liam Cooper since he went and he was a brilliant centre back here.

#67 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:03 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 19 May 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

So was Gary glitter but in the long run it didn't do him any good

Are you warfey in disguise? :D

View PostMac, on 19 May 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

Retrospective 'commission' payment could be due...

Surely not, now he has left the club??

#68 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:06 PM

I wonder if these bids were before the final day of the early bird season ticket sales?

The news managing to become public just a few days later, conveniently enough.

#69 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:08 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 19 May 2015 - 03:27 PM, said:

I will believe it when we announce the retention of Ryan and Roberts and a contract extension for Tendayi. As for Sam Morsy, I am sure he will also be sold before the season starts.

I agree. Maybe we should offer TD and SM 'you scratch my back...' type 1 year contract extensions with release clauses of more than £1m?

#70 User is offline   Mac's Back 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

View PostBlueprint, on 19 May 2015 - 06:59 PM, said:

Well if we have turned down a bid of £500k as it's no where near our valuation of him then he isn't gonna go for £500k.

£750k was only half our valuation for Eoin.
We're on our way

#71 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:16 PM

View PostBlueprint, on 19 May 2015 - 06:59 PM, said:

I wonder if Saunders knows that he can find a replacement for Clucas who will be cheaper than Clucas and pretty similar in terms of talent. Clucas is like a better and younger Drew Talbot, versatile, but a better goalscorer. If Saunders can sort our striker situation out by bringing in a 20 goal a season man then we won't need to play Clucas up front. We have Dan jones at left back, and we have wingers. Although Clucas is versatile and very good we have other players who can be just as good where he plays. If Saunders can bring in cheaper players as "back ups" albeit good ones, then there are certain players we won't miss too much.

We haven't exactly missed Liam Cooper since he went and he was a brilliant centre back here.

Liam Cooper is a left footed left sided centre back and gave our defence balance thus enabling the likes of Evatt and Hird, and to a lesser extent Raglan, to play in their natural right sided position. As such, in my opinion, we have missed him and still need a left footed centre back. In fact, with the present squad I think this is a main requirement along with one, or maybe two, good strikers.

Clucas has been excellent since joining us and improving his fitness. His ability to play in several positions is a bonus in a small squad but he hasn't exactly made one position his own. Personally, I would be sorry to see him go but if the right offer is on the table then it would be wrong to hold the lad back if he wanted the move. However, if he stays and Roberts moves on Sam could become a very influential member of our attack or midfield.

This post has been edited by dtp: 19 May 2015 - 07:17 PM

#72 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2015 - 07:44 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 19 May 2015 - 07:06 PM, said:

I wonder if these bids were before the final day of the early bird season ticket sales?

The news managing to become public just a few days later, conveniently enough.

If season ticket sales haven't been suppressed after the "Week from Hell" they won't be influenced by yet another giveaway by CT
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#73 User is offline   Toddhopper. 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:31 PM

View PostMaverick, on 19 May 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

Try lightening up a bit. You might find it enlightening 😉
We clearly don't share the same sense of humour. Let's leave it at that shall we?

I'm perfectly happy thank you, & enlightenment is certainly not what you will find on Bob's Board.
We clearly don't have the same sense of humour, as I usually require something witty or funny or ironic or whatever to tickle my funny bone.
Pure dumb stupidity combined with the unwarranted denigration of Chesterfield FC is more likely to engender exasperation, especially when
it is endlessly repeated & thus ends up being accepted wisdom on here.
I think I'll leave it at that if its all the same to you.

#74 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:42 PM

View Postazul, on 19 May 2015 - 07:44 PM, said:

If season ticket sales haven't been suppressed after the "Week from Hell" they won't be influenced by yet another giveaway by CT

There is no evidence yet that any player will be "given away".

Facts are facts - at certain times in their careers some players can be sold for a decent sum whilst at other times they cannot be sold no matter what.

We signed Roberts for "nothing" and Swindon were pleased to get him off their payroll - so, if Roberts wants it and an acceptable fee is offered then that produces a profit for the club on a player whose value will quickly deteriorate over the final year of his contract apart from releasing his wage to be used in new player recruitment.

Then we have Clucas. Mansfield accepted £70k plus add-ons a few months ago. No other club were prepared to pay more hence they sold to us - this must have been his market value at the time as no player, or asset, is worth any more than somebody is prepared to pay for him or it. So if, just a few months later, we sell for say £750k, or more, plus add-ons then this could be regarded as his optimum value and, in fact, good business. Don't get me wrong I want Sam to stay but I also feel if he wants it and he is in with a chance of trebling his pay-packet it might be difficult to stand in his way.

This post has been edited by dtp: 19 May 2015 - 08:43 PM

#75 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:50 PM

View Postdtp, on 19 May 2015 - 08:42 PM, said:

There is no evidence yet that any player will be "given away".

Facts are facts - at certain times in their careers some players can be sold for a decent sum whilst at other times they cannot be sold no matter what.

We signed Roberts for "nothing" and Swindon were pleased to get him off their payroll - so, if Roberts wants it and an acceptable fee is offered then that produces a profit for the club on a player whose value will quickly deteriorate over the final year of his contract apart from releasing his wage to be used in new player recruitment.

Then we have Clucas. Mansfield accepted £70k plus add-ons a few months ago. No other club were prepared to pay more hence they sold to us - this must have been his market value at the time as no player, or asset, is worth any more than somebody is prepared to pay for him or it. So if, just a few months later, we sell for say £750k, or more, plus add-ons then this could be regarded as his optimum value and, in fact, good business. Don't get me wrong I want Sam to stay but I also feel if he wants it and he is in with a chance of trebling his pay-packet it might be difficult to stand in his way.

Is there a bigger issue nagging away at the senior decision makers?

When we've sold players, we've either been in the media spotlight (FA Cup Run, League Cup Run) or been doing well in the league. Do good players get the same exposure / attract the same level of interest in a struggling side?

#76 User is offline   Nitrous Oxide 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:57 PM

If we need the money for whatever reason then we have to cash in on our assets as best we can. That's usually how teams with small attendances survive or progress. No, as fans we don't like it, of course we don't that's why there is page after page where we moan and grumble and come up with all sorts of theories but at the end of the day it is a business being run by a businessman. Things could be worse, who knows they could go that way, then again we might have another great season.

#77 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 19 May 2015 - 09:22 PM

View Postdtp, on 19 May 2015 - 07:16 PM, said:

Liam Cooper is a left footed left sided centre back and gave our defence balance thus enabling the likes of Evatt and Hird, and to a lesser extent Raglan, to play in their natural right sided position. As such, in my opinion, we have missed him and still need a left footed centre back. In fact, with the present squad I think this is a main requirement along with one, or maybe two, good strikers.

Clucas has been excellent since joining us and improving his fitness. His ability to play in several positions is a bonus in a small squad but he hasn't exactly made one position his own. Personally, I would be sorry to see him go but if the right offer is on the table then it would be wrong to hold the lad back if he wanted the move. However, if he stays and Roberts moves on Sam could become a very influential member of our attack or midfield.

We certainly could have done with Cooper against Preston

#78 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:16 PM

View PostNitrous Oxide, on 19 May 2015 - 08:57 PM, said:

If we need the money for whatever reason then we have to cash in on our assets as best we can. That's usually how teams with small attendances survive or progress. No, as fans we don't like it, of course we don't that's why there is page after page where we moan and grumble and come up with all sorts of theories but at the end of the day it is a business being run by a businessman. Things could be worse, who knows they could go that way, then again we might have another great season.

And yet they keep making huge losses and adding to our debt :rolleyes:

Thank God we had Cookie despite what some may think of him at this present moment, as without all his gems that we are cashing in on the businessmen that are running the business as you say would really be in a pickle! The trouble is once Cook's gems have been sold off, then what??
#notapennymore

#79 User is offline   Younger 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything blue

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:32 PM

Just sell all our gems for a round figure of £3M and have done with it.
Never put a Scab in your mouth, Its just dirty

#80 User is offline   Hong Kong Spireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2015 - 05:27 AM

View PostMac, on 19 May 2015 - 04:49 PM, said:

But selling players for decent fees is a skill we simply don't possess. That was proved beyond doubt with the hasty, ill-judged disposal of Eoin Doyle.

Selling tenners for a fiver a time is a recipe for disaster. As is sticking a plaster on a gaping wound.

Buying a player for 70k and selling him on for many multiples of that in less than a year is excellent business.....Hardly selling tenders for a fiver!!!

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users