• You cannot reply to this topic

Sturgeon Gone! Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   turrhall 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 February 2023 - 09:55 AM

View Posts42blue, on 16 February 2023 - 09:49 AM, said:

I’ve “smeared” Diane Abbott. Not because she’s a woman. Or black. Because she’s many times showed herself to be inept. Like Nadine Dorries.

The whole Krankie name calling was slightly amusing…the first time you heard it. Like parodies on Spitting Image all those years ago.

No not just being not racist/sexist/homophobic but positively condemning them is expected and the right thing to do. Very hard though and I’m not there yet.

We really should condemn all of the above but there’s been inappropriate comments on posters “rating” priti patel and other female MPs on here. No one has called them out.

Whether it's what you've personally done or not, do you think that a lot of the abuse that someone like Abbott has faced, and the reason why it is rarely picked up on or criticised, is down to her being both an ethnic minority and being a woman?

#22 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 16 February 2023 - 10:01 AM

View Postmr. smith, on 16 February 2023 - 09:54 AM, said:

12hr is hardly a rush.

A tad petty though for an auto correct? Never mind.
East stand second class citizen.

#23 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 16 February 2023 - 10:09 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 16 February 2023 - 06:50 AM, said:

Championing womens' rights by calling them playground names? Attacking Merkel at every opportunity? Relentlessly smearing Dianne Abbott?

Then there's Meghan Markal...

A bit of childish humour ( yep I’ll hold my hands up ) re calling Sturgeon “Krankie” is disrespecting women’s rights? Cancel culture alive and well!
Mind you it still makes me titter how you keep mentioning the Krankie thing yet still trot out the old tired Bozo name and who can forget the equally childish, so yes it made me smile..Mancock for Mat Hancock, I’m sure there might have been others as well.

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 16 February 2023 - 10:49 AM

#24 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 16 February 2023 - 10:13 AM

View Postturrhall, on 16 February 2023 - 09:55 AM, said:

Whether it's what you've personally done or not, do you think that a lot of the abuse that someone like Abbott has faced, and the reason why it is rarely picked up on or criticised, is down to her being both an ethnic minority and being a woman?

Interesting Q. Yes I think she has been seen as “fair game” because she is both those. And as I say I disagree with this.

Do you think some people don’t criticise or shy away from criticising her because she is both those things? I think so.
"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#25 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 16 February 2023 - 10:17 AM

View Posts42blue, on 16 February 2023 - 10:13 AM, said:

Interesting Q. Yes I think she has been seen as “fair game” because she is both those. And as I say I disagree with this.

Do you think some people don’t criticise or shy away from criticising her because she is both those things? I think so.

Agree with both points.

#26 User is offline   turrhall 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2023 - 10:39 AM

View Posts42blue, on 16 February 2023 - 10:13 AM, said:

Also interesting. I don't think anyone has ever shied away from criticising her. Personally think she has done things worth criticism, but even when that's the case it's over the top and overplayed. Not sure how much of that is done to her womanhood or her blackness and how much of that is down to her political leanings though, which is obviously another factor in this.

Politicians make mistakes with figures all the time, but if you ask someone who is evenly vaguely dialled into UK politics about this they'll more than likely point DA out as the main offender. Ofc she has done this before but so have many many others. I don't think that is a coincidence.

This post has been edited by turrhall: 16 February 2023 - 10:39 AM

#27 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2023 - 02:22 PM

View Postturrhall, on 16 February 2023 - 10:39 AM, said:

Also interesting. I don't think anyone has ever shied away from criticising her. Personally think she has done things worth criticism, but even when that's the case it's over the top and overplayed. Not sure how much of that is done to her womanhood or her blackness and how much of that is down to her political leanings though, which is obviously another factor in this.

Politicians make mistakes with figures all the time, but if you ask someone who is evenly vaguely dialled into UK politics about this they'll more than likely point DA out as the main offender. Ofc she has done this before but so have many many others. I don't think that is a coincidence.

I disagree (but we’ll never really know). I think folk don’t criticise for fear of being labelled.

Indeed they do make mistakes. I wouldn’t criticise her for any of those things, including her politics. I’ve seen her on tv, listened on radio and have no “connection” to her and because of her previous gaffes (and unwillingness to take a moment and do a fact check) I’d describe her as inept. That’s of course only my opinion. Confirmation bias etc though might subconsciously in to play! But that’s for another day 😂

And yes I think Johnson is just as inept with figures and worse too

This post has been edited by s42blue: 16 February 2023 - 02:23 PM

#28 User is offline   turrhall 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2023 - 02:24 PM

View Posts42blue, on 16 February 2023 - 02:22 PM, said:

I disagree (but we’ll never really know). I think folk don’t criticise for fear of being labelled.

Indeed they do make mistakes. I wouldn’t criticise her for any of those things, including her politics. I’ve seen her on tv, listened on radio and have no “connection” to her and because of her previous gaffes (and unwillingness to take a moment and do a fact check) I’d describe her as inept. That’s of course only my opinion. Confirmation bias etc though might subconsciously in to play! But that’s for another day 😂

I do disagree wholeheartedly with your first paragraph. Your second is personal opinion, so fair enough.

#29 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2023 - 03:22 PM

View Postturrhall, on 16 February 2023 - 02:24 PM, said:

I do disagree wholeheartedly with your first paragraph. Your second is personal opinion, so fair enough.

Fair enough. My first paragraph is personal opinion in response to your personal opinion. We both only have subjective hearsay.

Haha at least we can disagree without insults 👍😂

#30 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2023 - 05:29 PM

She was far more prime ministerial than Johnson during Covid. Far more so.

#31 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 16 February 2023 - 05:47 PM

Dianne Abbott has dropped some real clangers. Made herself look pretty damn daft. Nadine Dorries has too. Then there's Leadsom. Or Truss. Or Braverman. Infact numerous females on both sides of the House - and beyond - who deserve criticism for their behaviour and politics.

However the point is we've contributors who recently trumpeted womens' rights when discussing trans stuff, yet who've shown scant regard for them when talking about Sturgeon or Markle or Merkel or many, many others.

Simple truth is there's no evidence confirming the First Minister quit 'cos of the trans tangle she created. No matter how much it might suit some agendas to pursue that largely non-issue. And whilst we might be opposed to her nationalism (how the hell does championing EU membership correspond with leaving another successful union?!) most can recognise and respect the huge role she's played over the last twenty or so years...

PS: why is the trans thing some sorta challenge for Labour and not the tories....?
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#32 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 16 February 2023 - 06:02 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 16 February 2023 - 05:47 PM, said:

Dianne Abbott has dropped some real clangers. Made herself look pretty damn daft. Nadine Dorries has too. Then there's Leadsom. Or Truss. Or Braverman. Infact numerous females on both sides of the House - and beyond - who deserve criticism for their behaviour and politics.

However the point is we've contributors who recently trumpeted womens' rights when discussing trans stuff, yet who've shown scant regard for them when talking about Sturgeon or Markle or Merkel or many, many others.

Simple truth is there's no evidence confirming the First Minister quit 'cos of the trans tangle she created. No matter how much it might suit some agendas to pursue that largely non-issue. And whilst we might be opposed to her nationalism (how the hell does championing EU membership correspond with leaving another successful union?!) most can recognise and respect the huge role she's played over the last twenty or so years...

PS: why is the trans thing some sorta challenge for Labour and not the tories....?

Showed scant regard? You mean had an opinion on their performance or their views. Again that is possible without being against their rights. And I’m not show how the bit of jest comparing Sturgeon with a childrens comedy character effects her women’s rights?
Why she really quit, well only she will know that so pointless arguing on here for the main reason or reasons. And I’m not sure why you keep calling the trans debate a non issue, when it clearly is an issue. Are you worried it might turn into a major problem for Labour at the next election?
Re the last point..
It’s a challenge for all political parties, it’s how they they deal with it during interviews and policies that’s the issue. The interview with SKS on LBC being a good point.

#33 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2023 - 06:47 PM

View Postdart in the crossbar, on 16 February 2023 - 05:29 PM, said:

She was far more prime ministerial than Johnson during Covid. Far more so.

Try DM again.

#34 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2023 - 09:51 PM

View Posts42blue, on 16 February 2023 - 06:47 PM, said:

Try DM again.

ah ok will do

#35 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2023 - 11:26 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 16 February 2023 - 05:47 PM, said:

Dianne Abbott has dropped some real clangers. Made herself look pretty damn daft. Nadine Dorries has too. Then there's Leadsom. Or Truss. Or Braverman. Infact numerous females.

However the point is we've contributors who recently trumpeted womens' rights when discussing trans stuff, yet who've shown scant regard for them when talking about Sturgeon or Markle or Merkel or many, many others..

Definitely agree. Ineptitude knows no political boundaries. See we can agree 👍. I agree too re it being a universal issue for whoever is in power. I do think however for most people it isn’t really an issue. People will vote on the usual: economy, law and order , nhs. I’d be interested from the group who meet discussing Misnomer (say it’s not true please😂) how many actually consider this a deal breaker? Genuine Q. I’ll ask my circle of friends, predominantly red btw you’ll be glad to know.

What about those championing women’s rights who have rated who they’d like to bed Priti Patel or Nadine Dorries? Degrading in a public forum or ..banter?

#36 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 16 February 2023 - 11:33 PM

View Posts42blue, on 16 February 2023 - 11:26 PM, said:

Definitely agree. Ineptitude knows no political boundaries. See we can agree 👍. I agree too re it being a universal issue for whoever is in power. I do think however for most people it isn’t really an issue. People will vote on the usual: economy, law and order , nhs. I’d be interested from the group who meet discussing Misnomer (say it’s not true please😂) how many actually consider this a deal breaker? Genuine Q. I’ll ask my circle of friends, predominantly red btw you’ll be glad to know.

What about those championing women’s rights who have rated who they’d like to bed Priti Patel or Nadine Dorries? Degrading in a public forum or ..banter?

Re your last sentence..those who’ve commented on that are predominantly left leaning so I’ll guarantee 100% those that have said that will not respond at all to this thread. They’ll keep quite and hope it goes away, won’t you lads?

#37 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2023 - 11:47 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 16 February 2023 - 11:33 PM, said:

Re your last sentence..those who’ve commented on that are predominantly left leaning so I’ll guarantee 100% those that have said that will not respond at all to this thread. They’ll keep quite and hope it goes away, won’t you lads?

Whatever their leaning tbh. I’m glad you know I didn’t make it up.

Another Q is should those that disagree with it then consequently stamp on it at the time? I know I didn’t so guilty.

#38 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 17 February 2023 - 06:52 AM

Heh, heh, heh.

Of course there're no 'group meetings to discuss other contributors'. Infact I'm surprised anyone takes such bizarre ravings from an obvious oddball in any way seriously. Not gonna deny the rest of us get along okay away from the forum, mind.

But back to the grown up stuff, we seem to be in full agreement (damn!). It's perfectly fine to call out women in the same way we call out blokes. That's equality, in't it? And y'know what? As long as it's in context I've no problem with referencing appearance, either. If anyone wants to say male MP's are a bit hunky that's cool with me.

Most of all my experience meeting and mixing and mingling with the general public ('BB' members or not) tells me the trans stuff comes pretty low on their list of priorities. Very low. So we can only conclude it's merely the government and it's allies promoting a 'cilture war' to divert.

Sadly there'll always be those happy to masturbate their bigotries in response, though...

View PostMr Mercury, on 16 February 2023 - 11:33 PM, said:

Shun't that be lads...and lasses?
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#39 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2023 - 09:33 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 17 February 2023 - 06:52 AM, said:

Heh, heh, heh.

Of course there're no 'group meetings to discuss other contributors'. Infact I'm surprised anyone takes such bizarre ravings from an obvious oddball in any way seriously. Not gonna deny the rest of us get along okay away from the forum, mind.

But back to the grown up stuff, we seem to be in full agreement (damn!). It's perfectly fine to call out women in the same way we call out blokes. That's equality, in't it? And y'know what? As long as it's in context I've no problem with referencing appearance, either. If anyone wants to say male MP's are a bit hunky that's cool with me.

Most of all my experience meeting and mixing and mingling with the general public ('BB' members or not) tells me the trans stuff comes pretty low on their list of priorities. Very low. So we can only conclude it's merely the government and it's allies promoting a 'cilture war' to divert.

Sadly there'll always be those happy to masturbate their bigotries in response, though...

Shun't that be lads...and lasses?

Phew good. I did think that sounded a bit dull.

We can agree it’s ok. Well on calling out both sides. Not sure I agree with what has gone before which was much more than PP or ND is pretty/hot/insert adjective. It was who was going to be better in bed etc….so not a compliment more an objectification of women by regular posters. I don’t think that’s ok. I think that’s degrading.

We agree (again). 🤫

#40 User is offline   PontePete 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2023 - 10:37 AM

In the interests of embracing inclusion and diversity, am I allowed to choose the option of having them both....at the same time? :o

And then I'll report my findings back to the board afterwards :lol:
Hater of all things Scab!

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users