• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Golf Breakaway

#1 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 June 2022 - 11:09 AM

straight off the bat, don't follow this sport never have but this new development is dominating the sports headlines at the moment, not sure what it's all about but looks like golf is going down somewhat divisive path

#2 User is online   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2022 - 11:12 AM

I've not read into it too much but it seems to have a similar theme to how Darts broke up with the PDC forming and eventually overtaking the BDO etc....whether this will overtake the well established PGA etc is another matter. Currently it seems to be older golfers many of whom havent won anything of note for a while running off for a payday before calling it a day. Graham McDowell has basically said he spends 35 weeks a year away from his family playing, if he can get paid a load without really winning anything and play less then its a sound business decision for him.

For what its worth most of the main big names seem to be dead set against it and giving it a wide berth including Tiger Woods apparently turning down nearly a billion dollars to join...whilst ever that continues it will just be a side show.

#3 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2022 - 09:55 AM

The money aspect is ridiculous, but it always was going to be being Saudi backed. The fact Dustin Johnson, Bryson etc are now jumping ship as it is significant because they are big name players in the world. Something will have to give as now I think the PGA will be starting to worry if the quality of the fields is diluted by their stance of banning anybody that joins from the tour

#4 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 14 June 2022 - 09:44 PM

Kerry packer again, it’ll be over in a year.
East stand second class citizen.

#5 User is online   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 15 June 2022 - 12:18 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 14 June 2022 - 09:44 PM, said:

Kerry packer again, it’ll be over in a year.

Probably but without Packer there wouldn’t have been the one day World Cup, T20 or The Hundred as they took the format and tweaked it slightly to get what we have today.

Will the PGA and R&A have to look at what they are doing and offer something different to get the players back or will it be more like the PDC/BDO split in darts and more and more will move to the Saudi tournament leaving the PGA product weaker until it dies like the BDO has?
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#6 User is offline   sexpistol 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2022 - 01:56 PM

From a money perspective it’s a no brainier, but the way to stop certain players is to ban them from the majors. It might make the likes of Dustin Johnson think again.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users