• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

General Election It Is Then... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 May 2024 - 03:51 PM

Is this it.... will Chris get what he has been crying out for.... the chance to be able to defend decisions rather than criticise those that do!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#2 User is offline   turrhall 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2024 - 04:10 PM

He will. Will lose the classic "labour aren't actually in power" argument, but will gain the equally classic "oh labour can't do anything good because of the position the tories have left us in" argument. Easy come easy go.

#3 User is online   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2024 - 04:10 PM

isleaiw1, on 22 May 2024 - 03:51 PM, said:

Is this it.... will Chris get what he has been crying out for.... the chance to be able to defend decisions rather than criticise those that do!

I'll just peddle endless whataboutery and say turning manifesto pledges to confetti is 'for the good of the country', Ian.

But seriously, the educated opinion seems to be Sunak's going for broke (yeah, right) because things can only get, well, worse. Inflation set to rise again. Interest rates not coming down as soon as hoped. More MP's quitting or defecting. NHS queues growing and growing. Boats still arriving. An economy in the doldrums.

And now billions to find to address scandals.

I also understand many Tories are left utterly jaw dropped by this. They were adopting the Mr Macawber approach - desperately hoping summat might turn up. Possibly. Perhaps. Maybe.

Yet after fourteen failed years they're now left with nothing but smears which've made no impact so far.

Oh, by the way - the last July election?

Nineteen forty five...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#4 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2024 - 04:16 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 22 May 2024 - 04:10 PM, said:

I'll just peddle endless whataboutery and say turning manifesto pledges to confetti is 'for the good of the country', Ian.

But seriously, the educated opinion seems to be Sunak's going for broke (yeah, right) because things can only get, well, worse. Inflation set to rise again. Interest rates not coming down as soon as hoped. More MP's quitting or defecting. NHS queues growing and growing. Boats still arriving. An economy in the doldrums.

And now billions to find to address scandals.

I also understand many Tories are left utterly jaw dropped by this. They were adopting the Mr Macawber approach - desperately hoping summat might turn up. Possibly. Perhaps. Maybe.

Yet after fourteen failed years they're now left with nothing but smears which've made no impact so far.

Oh, by the way - the last July election?

Nineteen forty five...

More comments on what might come but as yet nothing on the fact inflation is lower here and growth is higher here than Europe ;)

I await the "its all the Tories fault" for the next 5 years then.... are you at saying "things can only get better" yet then? someone is at the downing street speech, but we know what happened then...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#5 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 22 May 2024 - 04:23 PM

Operation 'Get the f'ing Tories out' starts now.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#6 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 22 May 2024 - 04:29 PM

The continuous playing of ?things can only get better?, I?d imagine by some loon at the end of Downing Street, is representative of the all mouth no substance that Starmer has purveyed over the last cpl of years. Anyhow unless there?s a major upset he?ll be PM on the 5th of July, although maybe not by a majority, and what an embarrassing that wound be.
I, like others, will be looking forward to compete u turn on aspects of posting about government and it?s decisions.
East stand second class citizen.

#7 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 22 May 2024 - 04:31 PM

The one on one debate will be interesting when the discussion turns to immigration
JRID

#8 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 22 May 2024 - 04:35 PM

Mr Mercury, on 22 May 2024 - 04:29 PM, said:

The continuous playing of ?things can only get better?, I?d imagine by some loon at the end of Downing Street, is representative of the all mouth no substance that Starmer has purveyed over the last cpl of years. Anyhow unless there?s a major upset he?ll be PM on the 5th of July, although maybe not by a majority, and what an embarrassing that wound be.
I, like others, will be looking forward to compete u turn on aspects of posting about government and it?s decisions.

Absolutely legendary trolling by the guy playing D:ream on the boom box
JRID

#9 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2024 - 04:38 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 22 May 2024 - 04:29 PM, said:

'Things can only get better' seems fairly apt.

#10 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2024 - 04:42 PM

View Postdart in the crossbar, on 22 May 2024 - 04:38 PM, said:

'Things can only get better' seems fairly apt.

Inflation down, growth up, NI down... be careful what you wish for...

As for those of us hoping to retire in about 5 years time, it means our DC pension pots will be at risk due to two changes of government potentially, the chances of a high tax, high involvement govt (even worse than we have had which the city and hence share prices and pension pots will hate)...

So I'm reckoning if you are now in your 60s, and not fortunate enough to have a very expensive DB scheme paid for by the taxpayer, things might not get better.

Better get replanning and work a bit longer! They will also limit how much I can put away again so that will definitely impact...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#11 User is online   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 22 May 2024 - 04:43 PM

isleaiw1, on 22 May 2024 - 04:16 PM, said:

More comments on what might come but as yet nothing on the fact inflation is lower here and growth is higher here than Europe ;)

I await the "its all the Tories fault" for the next 5 years then.... are you at saying "things can only get better" yet then? someone is at the downing street speech, but we know what happened then...

Sorry Ian, I thought you wanted to discuss the forthcoming election.

But it's obvious you just want another 'End of Labour' topic.

Either way after his (no doubt strategically shortened) lectern speech Sunak will inevitably be remembered as the 'Wally Without a Brolly'.

Town have won the league. Bring on the Labour victory that'd mean the second part of a magnificent double...

#12 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2024 - 04:53 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 22 May 2024 - 04:43 PM, said:

Sorry Ian, I thought you wanted to discuss the forthcoming election.

But it's obvious you just want another 'End of Labour' topic.

Either way after his (no doubt strategically shortened) lectern speech Sunak will inevitably be remembered as the 'Wally Without a Brolly'.

Town have won the league. Bring on the Labour victory that'd mean the second part of a magnificent double...

I do, I want to talk about facts, not guesstimates of things that havent and might never happen...

And of course, if they do win, then the hard work starts as unlike Town, Labour will have it a lot harder when they have to do summat instead of criticise....

And a fact on my comments re retirement planning:

It is true that the UK equity market has tended to fare better under Conservative governments. Since 1983, the FTSE All-Share index has delivered an average annual gain of 4.9% under Conservative governments, compared with 3.9% under Labour.
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#13 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 22 May 2024 - 05:11 PM

Genuine question for Labour voters on here. Given the huge poll lead, one that has remained pretty stable around the 20 pt mark fir months, and the fact the general consensus amongst you all is that this government has been a disaster, would you view a hung parliament, like some are forecasting after the local elections, as a poor, even bad night?

#14 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2024 - 05:18 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 22 May 2024 - 05:11 PM, said:

Genuine question for Labour voters on here. Given the huge poll lead, one that has remained pretty stable around the 20 pt mark fir months, and the fact the general consensus amongst you all is that this government has been a disaster, would you view a hung parliament, like some are forecasting after the local elections, as a poor, even bad night?

If you cant beat this govt, its a disaster. full stop.

they have been untrustworthy and self serving from day 1, and they should be the first requirements on the job spec....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#15 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 22 May 2024 - 06:29 PM

Mr Mercury, on 22 May 2024 - 04:29 PM, said:

Where is sunaks substance?
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#16 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 22 May 2024 - 06:30 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 22 May 2024 - 05:18 PM, said:

If you cant beat this govt, its a disaster. full stop.

they have been untrustworthy and self serving from day 1, and they should be the first requirements on the job spec....

Sky News saying they need a 12.7% swing to get the slimmest majority of 2 and a near 15% swing to get a comfortable majority of 50..to quote Sam Cotes..?KS faces a massive up hill task to get a healthy majority??maybe Boris? success may yet be a belated sting in the tail for Starmer!

#17 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2024 - 06:33 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 22 May 2024 - 06:30 PM, said:

Sky News saying they need a 12.7% swing to get the slimmest majority of 2 and a near 15% swing to get a comfortable majority of 50..to quote Sam Cotes..?KS faces a massive up hill task to get a healthy majority??maybe Boris? success may yet be a belated sting in the tail for Starmer!

Does that allow for the boundary changes? And the collapse in the SNP in Scotland? Sunak obviously doesnt reckon Swinney will do much for the SNP otherwise he would have waited for him to damage Labour's chances more...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#18 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2024 - 06:37 PM

View Postfishini, on 22 May 2024 - 06:29 PM, said:

Were you furloughed during covid and paid? There are a lot of people who probably owe their jobs and the continued existence of their firms to his generosity then..and the scheme here was pretty generous for the lower paid...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#19 User is online   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 22 May 2024 - 06:37 PM

isleaiw1, on 22 May 2024 - 04:53 PM, said:

I do, I want to talk about facts, not guesstimates of things that havent and might never happen...

And of course, if they do win, then the hard work starts as unlike Town, Labour will have it a lot harder when they have to do summat instead of criticise....

And a fact on my comments re retirement planning:

It is true that the UK equity market has tended to fare better under Conservative governments. Since 1983, the FTSE All-Share index has delivered an average annual gain of 4.9% under Conservative governments, compared with 3.9% under Labour.

'Guesstimates of things that haven't and might never happen'?

From the bloke who won't vote Labour 'cos he thinks some hard left takeover could, possibly, just maybe happen at some unspecified point in the future. Despite our friend 'Turrhall' saying similar because of a supposed right wing takeover.

For what it's worth the suggestions of why Sunak's called an early election in my initial response were from seasoned commentators in the mainstream media.

However it speaks volumes that your opening and subsequent posts focus almost entirely on taunting Labour whilst barely even mentioning the tories' record.

But hey, at least you didn't go ga-ga over Angie Raynor and things that 'haven't and might never happen' in terms of her former home again...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 22 May 2024 - 06:40 PM

#20 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 22 May 2024 - 06:45 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 22 May 2024 - 06:33 PM, said:

Does that allow for the boundary changes? And the collapse in the SNP in Scotland? Sunak obviously doesnt reckon Swinney will do much for the SNP otherwise he would have waited for him to damage Labour's chances more...

Yes to the boundary changes I?m not sure re the SNP, although now Umzah has gone they may see a slight resurgence, of course that would be a problem for Labour.

View Postfishini, on 22 May 2024 - 06:29 PM, said:

Well going with all Starmers u turns maybe substance isn?t the best quality to question on leaders?

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users