• You cannot reply to this topic

Jerusalem Rate Topic: -----

#1301 User is offline   azul 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:35 PM

View PostMiddle East, on 03 April 2024 - 07:38 PM, said:

I generally try to stay out of political debate and don't post on these threads very often nowadays or at least until Hotel Ian occasionally sucks me back in with his repetitive pathetic public service pensions hate campaign!!! But...

...I was shocked and horrified by the Hamas offensive against innocent Israeli civilians when it happened and having worked over there and got an understanding of their point of view knew they would understandably strike back with avengence. Which they did and initially I thought it was proportionate but now it has gone far far beyond that....

They have clearly wiped out the current incarnation of Hamas in Gaza, but in doing so have created a recruiting campaign for them across the middle east! If my family had been bombed out of their home, family members killed indiscriminately and what's left starved to death then I may just stop being reasonable and start becoming extremist!

Total genocide aside its a huge huge mistake and the Kingdom of Heaven will be in turmoil for another few hundred years!

The world really is a well and truly fkd up place... It needs to stop and the West needs to tell Israel now!

Geopolitics, very rarely anything to do with what is right or wrong and everything to do with posturing. Just look at the debacle over the resolutions at the UN recently between the US/Russia/China
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#1302 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 04 April 2024 - 09:50 AM

And now the Sunak who once more panders to the bigot vote with talk of denying the UK public human rights - putting us on a par with Russia and North Korea - refuses to publish legal advice over Israeli arms sales.

So what did he say on the steps of Number Ten again....?
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#1303 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2024 - 10:41 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 04 April 2024 - 09:50 AM, said:

And now the Sunak who once more panders to the bigot vote with talk of denying the UK public human rights - putting us on a par with Russia and North Korea - refuses to publish legal advice over Israeli arms sales.

So what did he say on the steps of Number Ten again....?

Maybe he will publish that when Rayner publishes her tax advice on avoiding CGT on second homes... although one could be classed as classified and the other would be something loads of people would like to know ;)

Not like you to have different rules for one party versus the other Chris ;)
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#1304 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 04 April 2024 - 02:13 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 04 April 2024 - 10:41 AM, said:

Maybe he will publish that when Rayner publishes her tax advice on avoiding CGT on second homes... although one could be classed as classified and the other would be something loads of people would like to know ;)

You're right, mate

Absolute equality between the Government revealing legal advice over arms sales to a nation breaking international law...

..and a non story only the anti Labour lobby get excited about...

#1305 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 04 April 2024 - 02:35 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 04 April 2024 - 10:41 AM, said:

Bit tenuous… and not really comparable in the big scale of things. One the alleged non payment of cgt ; the other potentially aiding war crimes…

Tbh it highlights what a poor political leader RS is. Easy populist political capital to be made by banning U.K. arms sales to Israel as its only £42m, so small beer really for such great PR. Call me cynical…😂

On this occasion I’d say there’s definitely no rules for AR different to others publicising their tax affairs. I’ve no problem her being investigated and if proven wrong punished.
"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#1306 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2024 - 02:39 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 04 April 2024 - 02:13 PM, said:

It’s not a non story. If proven it’s tax evasion and should be punished, as should ALL offences of this kind by whichever MP regardless of party.

It’s not comparable though.

#1307 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2024 - 02:41 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 04 April 2024 - 02:13 PM, said:

You're right, mate

Absolute equality between the Government revealing legal advice over arms sales to a nation breaking international law...

It wouldnt be a story if she revealed the tax advice that allows her to do it... but she wont, so it is, because no one knows a clause that would apply...

and only a non story to Labour supporters. DEFINITELY a story to those of us who have studied tax and paid CGT this year on the sale of a house, apparently I neednt have bothered...

This post has been edited by isleaiw1: 04 April 2024 - 02:46 PM

Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#1308 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2024 - 02:44 PM

View Posts42blue, on 04 April 2024 - 02:35 PM, said:

Bit tenuous… and not really comparable in the big scale of things. One the alleged non payment of cgt ; the other potentially aiding war crimes…

Tbh it highlights what a poor political leader RS is. Easy populist political capital to be made by banning U.K. arms sales to Israel as its only £42m, so small beer really for such great PR. Call me cynical…😂

On this occasion I’d say there’s definitely no rules for AR different to others publicising their tax affairs. I’ve no problem her being investigated and if proven wrong punished.

Tenuous in nature of the stories but not in Chris calling for one to be released and not the other because of the parties involved. As far as I can see one is easily proven to be wrong if she really did get tax advice... and one is like you say a perfect opportunity to get some political capital rather than brickbats..

I'd have both published, but I'm balanced like that.
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#1309 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2024 - 02:51 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 04 April 2024 - 02:44 PM, said:

Tenuous in nature of the stories but not in Chris calling for one to be released and not the other because of the parties involved. As far as I can see one is easily proven to be wrong if she really did get tax advice... and one is like you say a perfect opportunity to get some political capital rather than brickbats..

I'd have both published, but I'm balanced like that.

AR isn’t obliged to release her tax affairs to the House and is being investigated by the relevant authorities.

Sorry but calling them comparable (a few grand of cgt or aiding war crimes) really is clutching at straws. If you use straws to beat up Tories 😂. You know what I mean 😂

#1310 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2024 - 03:08 PM

View Posts42blue, on 04 April 2024 - 02:51 PM, said:

AR isn’t obliged to release her tax affairs to the House and is being investigated by the relevant authorities.

Sorry but calling them comparable (a few grand of cgt or aiding war crimes) really is clutching at straws. If you use straws to beat up Tories 😂. You know what I mean 😂

I wouldnt call them comparable but Chris wants one released but not the other. I'd like them both released. I think MPs and Ministers who are accused of tax evasion should have a duty to be transparent to clear their name....when it comes to following the rules of the land its not the amount but the principle.

Do I trust the police to understand CGT enough to investigate. Absolutely not. Although the fact a married couple can only have one PPR even if they live in separate houses does make it quite straightforward...

By the way, is selling weapons to someone who then uses them inappropriately aiding a war crime? On that basis we shouldnt sell them to anyone as we cant be certain how they will use them... and that might include Ukraine...

If we are being pedantic, not being governed by the Human Rights Act doesnt mean we dont allow folks human rights, which is what Chris originally said... but his beef with that is of course that its an EU rule, so wouldnt apply to Russia or North Korea, or the US but he forgot the latter...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#1311 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2024 - 03:39 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 04 April 2024 - 03:08 PM, said:

I wouldnt call them comparable but Chris wants one released but not the other. I'd like them both released. I think MPs and Ministers who are accused of tax evasion should have a duty to be transparent to clear their name....when it comes to following the rules of the land its not the amount but the principle.

Do I trust the police to understand CGT enough to investigate. Absolutely not. Although the fact a married couple can only have one PPR even if they live in separate houses does make it quite straightforward...

By the way, is selling weapons to someone who then uses them inappropriately aiding a war crime? On that basis we shouldnt sell them to anyone as we cant be certain how they will use them... and that might include Ukraine...

If we are being pedantic, not being governed by the Human Rights Act doesnt mean we dont allow folks human rights, which is what Chris originally said... but his beef with that is of course that its an EU rule, so wouldnt apply to Russia or North Korea, or the US but he forgot the latter...

She has absolutely NO duty to clear her name regardless of the amount. I’m a believer in all the parliamentary rules whether that be no election when a leader changes to this.

CGT is one of the simplest taxes tbh 😂

https://www.lbc.co.u...ish-sunak-arms/ Explains it more than I CBA to type. Swap “war crime” for “plausible risk of genocide”

If we’re being pedantic I didn’t comment on HRA or your beef with EoC.

#1312 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 04 April 2024 - 03:58 PM

And another thread descends into political posturing...
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#1313 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 04 April 2024 - 04:29 PM

Wow!

Just...wow!

https://www.lbc.co.u...ussions-israel/

But his reward for such candour?

https://news.sky.com...mments-13107785

So Gullis is made a deputy chair despite his vile back catalogue, Braverman is some perverse cult hero and Jenrick is touted as leadership material. Yet Duncan calls out characters he deems 'extremists' - such as the Patel who attended secret meetings with Israeli officials - and he's hung out to dry...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 04 April 2024 - 04:31 PM

#1314 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 04 April 2024 - 04:59 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on 04 April 2024 - 03:58 PM, said:

In a Political thread, who'd of thought?
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#1315 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 04 April 2024 - 05:06 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 04 April 2024 - 04:59 PM, said:

In a Political thread, who'd of thought?

A thread about a war ( mass murder) in gaza.
There's at least 2 other dedicated political threads.

Not sure how CGT comes into this anyway.. ??

This post has been edited by spireitetoo: 04 April 2024 - 05:07 PM

#1316 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2024 - 05:44 PM

apologies, my fault - I'll take myself to the naughty step...!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#1317 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2024 - 05:48 PM

No insults, no arguments, statements backed up. Maybe a little off tangent but no posturing.

If you’ve got nothing nice to say……

#1318 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2024 - 05:50 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on 04 April 2024 - 05:06 PM, said:

A thread about a war ( mass murder) in gaza.
There's at least 2 other dedicated political threads.

Not sure how CGT comes into this anyway.. ??

Was about the U.K. government selling arms….so relevant and political.

Care to add your thoughts?

#1319 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 April 2024 - 06:02 PM

View Posts42blue, on 04 April 2024 - 03:39 PM, said:

She has absolutely NO duty to clear her name regardless of the amount. I’m a believer in all the parliamentary rules whether that be no election when a leader changes to this.

CGT is one of the simplest taxes tbh 😂

https://www.lbc.co.u...ish-sunak-arms/ Explains it more than I CBA to type. Swap “war crime” for “plausible risk of genocide”

If we’re being pedantic I didn’t comment on HRA or your beef with EoC.

Feel dirty having read an article from LBC but.... if we have such a careful licensing regime then presumably based on the evidence ahead of them, the govt will have stopped sales... its a very non committal answer which sounds like a politician who doesnt actually know if he can immediately stop sales...

Its definitely much easier than it used to be when indexation was involved (and much less fair!) but yes PPR is seemingly very easy to understand, which is why I believe she has to offer up the advice she has been given as frankly unless she does I wont believe her... And those that have never studied tax can call it a non story but they wouldnt if they studied the rules!

You didnt but it seemed a sensible place to add it as I was pointing out inconsistencies and including us with two other countries not in the EU that dont follow the HRA but failing to include a third which is much less controlled was silence on a matter to the extent that it changed the honesty of what was being written... so no beef just a correction to the impression created :) It was sort of Mailesque in its accuracy but not actually giving the correct impression...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#1320 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 04 April 2024 - 07:42 PM

View Posts42blue, on 04 April 2024 - 05:50 PM, said:

Was about the U.K. government selling arms….so relevant and political.

Care to add your thoughts?

I added my thoughts earlier in the thread, but just for you I'll reiterate them..

Netanyahu is a murdering barsteward and needs bringing down, but the west stands by and does nothing... seemingly complicit in all of it..

As for CGT I've no idea, nor do I give a Bunkum, they pyss in the same pot...

Share this topic:

• (69 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users