• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Gateshead

#81 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 23 April 2024 - 02:44 PM

Brighton once played miles away in gillingham and that temp stadium at running track and more recent examples include coventry ground having to leave the same ground twice which must be a record. Sure they played at Northampton for a season which is 30 mile away and doubt Rotherham had some long term lease at don valley. Are oxfords days not numbered at there ground? As said though as they are all existing members can anything be done. Infact is there any rule saying how far a existing efl club can groundshare for, how far out of area they can play. Way i read things it would be acceptable for gateshead to groundshare at hartlepool if they had a ten year agreement in place

#82 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 April 2024 - 04:04 PM

I'm suprised no one's mentioned MK Dons didn't they start life (reincarnation) at a hockey stadium. (memory could be failing). You would think rules must have been financialy circumnavigated during this sordid affair
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#83 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2024 - 04:06 PM

clarevoyant., on 23 April 2024 - 04:04 PM, said:

I'm suprised no one's mentioned MK Dons didn't they start life (reincarnation) at a hockey stadium. (memory could be failing). You would think rules must have been financialy circumnavigated during this sordid affair

I think they did for about 4 year but again they could have had a ten year lease on that place unlike coventry at there groundshares

#84 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 23 April 2024 - 04:22 PM

Holmesc1, on 23 April 2024 - 02:44 PM, said:

Brighton once played miles away in gillingham and that temp stadium at running track and more recent examples include coventry ground having to leave the same ground twice which must be a record. Sure they played at Northampton for a season which is 30 mile away and doubt Rotherham had some long term lease at don valley. Are oxfords days not numbered at there ground? As said though as they are all existing members can anything be done. Infact is there any rule saying how far a existing efl club can groundshare for, how far out of area they can play. Way i read things it would be acceptable for gateshead to groundshare at hartlepool if they had a ten year agreement in place

I think you have completely missed the plot here. The EFL obviously want new teams entering who have stability. They obviously (the EFL) are flawed in a lot of things but this is a good thing no?

#85 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 23 April 2024 - 04:25 PM

clarevoyant., on 23 April 2024 - 04:04 PM, said:

They did….i went with my Sunderland supporting other half to watch Sunderland there. Horrible football watching experience sat on temporary banked seating with various crap fair style burger vans plus it tipped it down before kick off so we got drenched walking to the ground then as there was no roof the seats were soaked so no one sat down leading to over the top stewards trying to get folk to sit down and not being overly happy with being told where to go!!

This post has been edited by JonB: 23 April 2024 - 04:25 PM

#86 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2024 - 04:25 PM

The EFL ought to show some initiative. Sure, the cut of date was in March but they could easily retract that agreement allowing Gateshead into the play offs and be promoted if they win them. What harm would it do?

#87 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 23 April 2024 - 04:26 PM

frearsghost, on 23 April 2024 - 04:25 PM, said:

The EFL ought to show some initiative. Sure, the cut of date was in March but they could easily retract that agreement allowing Gateshead into the play offs and be promoted if they win them. What harm would it do?

As it stands they don’t have an agreement to use they stadium that meets the criteria or look like getting one. They could potentially be let in then kicked out of the ground before the season starts.

#88 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 23 April 2024 - 04:38 PM

JonB, on 23 April 2024 - 04:25 PM, said:

They did….i went with my Sunderland supporting other half to watch Sunderland there. Horrible football watching experience sat on temporary banked seating with various crap fair style burger vans plus it tipped it down before kick off so we got drenched walking to the ground then as there was no roof the seats were soaked so no one sat down leading to over the top stewards trying to get folk to sit down and not being overly happy with being told where to go!!

We played there new years day 05 drew 1-1. Not great for pre match refreshments.

What sort of lease did they have? did it matter, with the right(?) folk at the helm.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#89 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 23 April 2024 - 04:48 PM

clarevoyant., on 23 April 2024 - 04:38 PM, said:

We played there new years day 05 drew 1-1. Not great for pre match refreshments.

What sort of lease did they have? did it matter, with the right(?) folk at the helm.

It was only temp while they build the new ground so presumably that swayed the decision making.

#90 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 23 April 2024 - 04:51 PM

JonB, on 23 April 2024 - 04:25 PM, said:

Yes chesterfield played a game there I think it was 1-1, but definitely went there and had a drink in the Wetherspoons pre game.
East stand second class citizen.

#91 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 23 April 2024 - 06:43 PM

Did we only play there once?Must be the old memory, thought I had been there more than once.

#92 User is offline   ronpowellsbutler 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Irony

Posted 24 April 2024 - 05:53 AM

Carl Muggleton gave away a penalty in the first five minutes.
Thought the bloke made a meal of it but then I’m biased.
Don’t ask me what I did yesterday..

#93 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2024 - 07:12 AM

calvin plummers socks, on 23 April 2024 - 04:22 PM, said:

I think you have completely missed the plot here. The EFL obviously want new teams entering who have stability. They obviously (the EFL) are flawed in a lot of things but this is a good thing no?

But why does it matter having a lease for 10 years if you arent financially viable - and there is no way they get anyone to sign off that is the case. A lease means nowt if you are bankrupt...

I'd say if Gateshead have a break clause with 3 years notice, that gives them 3 years to find somewhere new which is perfectly fine and better than having a 10 year contract and no money or prospects!

Or to put it another way, would Southend have been allowed to take part if their takeover still hasnt gone through...?

This post has been edited by isleaiw1: 24 April 2024 - 07:13 AM

Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#94 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 24 April 2024 - 07:47 AM

isleaiw1, on 24 April 2024 - 07:12 AM, said:

But why does it matter having a lease for 10 years if you arent financially viable - and there is no way they get anyone to sign off that is the case. A lease means nowt if you are bankrupt...

I'd say if Gateshead have a break clause with 3 years notice, that gives them 3 years to find somewhere new which is perfectly fine and better than having a 10 year contract and no money or prospects!

Or to put it another way, would Southend have been allowed to take part if their takeover still hasnt gone through...?

Yup. What’s Solihull’s 10 year plan to plug £1.8M of losses on crowds of less than 1400 and Bromley’s to rectify annual losses of £800k on crowds of less than 1500?

#95 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 24 April 2024 - 08:14 AM

HaslandBlue58, on 23 April 2024 - 06:43 PM, said:

Did we only play there once?Must be the old memory, thought I had been there more than once.

I think we played there the following season, which I missed.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#96 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 24 April 2024 - 02:34 PM

clarevoyant., on 24 April 2024 - 08:14 AM, said:

I think we played there the following season, which I missed.

I definitely saw Town twice there

#97 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 24 April 2024 - 03:03 PM

calvin plummers socks, on 24 April 2024 - 02:34 PM, said:

I definitely saw Town twice there

Played at the NHS in 2004/5 & 2005/6, we drew both games 1-1 in 2004/5 (them pen after 5 mins, Evo equaliser 84th minute) and 0-0 in 2005/6, they'd moved to Stadium MK by 2007/8 when we next played them.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#98 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2024 - 04:59 PM

calvin plummers socks, on 23 April 2024 - 04:22 PM, said:

If thats the case why did they let macclesfield enter as well as teams with 3g pitches and maybe questionable ground standards

#99 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2024 - 05:02 PM

isleaiw1, on 24 April 2024 - 07:12 AM, said:

Known the efl probably southend would have been allowed in whos takeover has not gone through yet fully. The efl allowed macclesfield in who had serious financial issues

#100 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2024 - 05:21 PM

Holmesc1, on 24 April 2024 - 05:02 PM, said:

Known the efl probably southend would have been allowed in whos takeover has not gone through yet fully. The efl allowed macclesfield in who had serious financial issues

With a bit of luck they'll ban clubs with three sided grounds next, but joking apart, whether it be the premier league, the EFL or the National League, why can't there be fairness in every case. I know it may be asking a lot but we have Forest and Everton losing points while others carry on regardless, Southend being allowed to carry on even though they've had more takeover hiccups than there were Rocky films and Gateshead banned from taking place in the playoffs because they're not wanted in the EFL. These bodies have made the rules, so stick to them for all, not the few.

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users