Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: A Tale Of Two Dons. - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Tale Of Two Dons.

#1 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:19 AM

A very poor MK Dons turned up at the Proact a few weeks ago and put in a truly unambitious and lacklustre performance.

Unfortunately we were as bad - infact only a couple of excellent saves prevented another defeat.

Yesterday an equally unambitious and lacklustre 'real' Dons outfit turned up but, thankfully, there appeared a renewed purpose on our part.

Well, in the first half, anyway.

Four-two-three-one with Gardner once again in a holding role. A far better tempo from us, with both Simons and Ariyibi looking more like the players they might be. I made a point of applauding them off after forty five minutes that should've seen our dominance rewarded.

Unfortunately the second forty five were pretty much what we've witnessed before this season, raising more questions over fitness levels. We were also up against a Wimbledon side who'd been timewasting almost from the start and a Ref who turned a blind eye to it - literally. The old trick of making a big show of speaking to a player about nowt so he didn't have to deal with what everyone else could see. Bit surprised at O'Shea being subbed - I'd have replaced the increasingly anonymous Simons clearly suffering a lack of game time with Dennis. Perhaps our best chances were when a couple of loose balls flew off defenders - only to end up in the 'keepers arms or fall favourably for the visitors. That and a delicious cross when Ariyibi suddenly decided to pass rather than make his millionth dribble which flew agonisingly across the goal face.

Frustrating, teeth-grindingly frustrating.

I left the stadium weighing up positives and negatives. That was a game we really needed to win and it's worrying that we didn't. That said a Town team showing definite signs of improvement did enough to have won. First and second to most balls whilst pressing for much of the match. If Dons sides as ordinary as these two can sit above us in the table there's absolutely no reason we can't close that gap. We just lacked creativity (read: quality) in the final third especially as the two earlier mentioned forwards went quiet. Three coming in? Can't happen soon enough.

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 22 January 2017 - 10:28 AM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#2 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 22 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 22 January 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

A very poor MK Dons turned up at the Proact a few weeks ago and put in a truly unambitious and lacklustre performance.

Unfortunately we were as bad - infact only a couple of excellent saves prevented another defeat.

Yesterday an equally unambitious and lacklustre 'real' Dons outfit turned up but, thankfully, there appeared a renewed purpose on our part.

Four-two-three-one with Gardner once again in a holding role. A far better tempo from us, with both Simons and Ariyibi looking more like the players they might be. I made a point of applauding them off after forty five minutes that should've seen our dominance rewarded.

Unfortunately the second forty five were pretty much what we've witnessed before this season, raising more questions over fitness levels. We were also up against a Wimbledon side who'd been timewasting almost from the start and a Ref who turned a blind eye to it - literally. The old trick of making a big show of speaking to a player about nowt so he didn't have to deal with what everyone else could see. Bit surprised at O'Shea being subbed - I'd have replaced the increasingly anonymous Simons clearly suffering a lack of game time with Dennis. Perhaps our best chances were when a couple of loose balls flew off defenders - only to end up in the 'keepers arms or fall favourably for the visitors. That and a delicious cross when Ariyibi suddenly decided to pass rather than make his millionth dribble which flew agonisingly across the goal face.

I left the stadium weighing up positives and negatives. That was a game we really needed to win and it's worrying that we didn't. That said a Town team showing definite signs of improvement did enough to have won. First and second to most balls whilst pressing for much of the match. If Dons sides as ordinary as these two can sit above us in the table there's absolutely no reason we can't close that gap. We just lacked creativity (read: quality) in the final third especially as the two earlier mentioned forwards went quiet. Three coming in? Can't happen soon enough.

Nice one.
It was a day when a good team would have broken the deadlock with a set piece. We must have fewer players who can head a football than any other L1 team.

One thing I don't understand is why Dion isn't asked to take free kicks from the inside right position. When Dan Jones used to take them they were rate dangerous.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#3 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:10 AM

View Postdim view, on 22 January 2017 - 10:58 AM, said:

Nice one.
It was a day when a good team would have broken the deadlock with a set piece. We must have fewer players who can head a football than any other L1 team.

One thing I don't understand is why Dion isn't asked to take free kicks from the inside right position. When Dan Jones used to take them they were rate dangerous.

It's an issue often discussed on here under a number of managers.

We just aren't a physical outfit, and whilst I applaud an intent to play passing football set piece goals are few and very far between.

Another thing, too.

Why, why, WHY do managers insist on bringing everyone back when defending corners?!?!?

I'd have our two fastest players on the half way line - one of whom is Ariyibi who heads like a pogoing punk anyway - not only meaning the opposition have to withdraw three, but offering an attacking opportunity if/when we win the ball.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#4 User is offline   Spire-Heights 

• Legend

Posted 22 January 2017 - 11:11 AM

View Postdim view, on 22 January 2017 - 10:58 AM, said:

Nice one.

Apart from Hird and Evatt, who we got capable of heading the ball? Evans, O'Neil??
Show class, have pride, and display character.If you do, winning takes care of itself.

#5 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:38 PM

Hird Evatt and Evans. That's your lot.

#6 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 22 January 2017 - 02:18 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 22 January 2017 - 10:19 AM, said:

O'Shea did have his hamstring taped up so maybe that was a medical decision to substitute him.

For me our game plan was bewildering - throughout the game we persisted trying to go down the wings to get the crosses in WHY??? Ched was certainly not going to put his head anywhere near a arial challenge, playing with a broken jaw. It certainly does affect his comitment as we saw from the challenge in the first half. Very little ball to feet for Ched which surely is his strongest point, in fact very little down the middle from us on the floor ??

Now we are very short on goals, even attempts so if we are going to play Gardner in the holdin roll we have to set him up for strikes on goal more. His first half attempt was about the best move we contrived in the whole game so when we did eventually get down the wings why weren't the numerous crosses in some cases pulled back on the floor for Gardner to run onto, I can.t recall one instance in the second half.

When you consider they had 4/5 first teamers out plus a 38 yr old we look to have big problems in the forth coming games, we are desperately short of someone to play up top with Ched. Surely with all the players at the club and forward who can hold the ball up is a priority and if he's carries an arial threat so much the better. I'll sacrifice bringing in a defender for a half decent midfielder who can contribute more in the goals for column.

Caldwell is still assessing what he's got and is obviously relying on the back room staff for guidance, I don't know how many times he's seen us play this season but any incoming player has to have an impact value - give me experiece over a young eager Premier kid.

View PostGoku, on 22 January 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

Hird Evatt and Evans. That's your lot.

You can forget Evans.
God I hate this league.

#7 User is offline   The Black Triangle 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 January 2017 - 03:52 PM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 22 January 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

O'Shea did have his hamstring taped up so maybe that was a medical decision to substitute him.

For me our game plan was bewildering - throughout the game we persisted trying to go down the wings to get the crosses in WHY??? Ched was certainly not going to put his head anywhere near a arial challenge, playing with a broken jaw. It certainly does affect his comitment as we saw from the challenge in the first half. Very little ball to feet for Ched which surely is his strongest point, in fact very little down the middle from us on the floor ??

Now we are very short on goals, even attempts so if we are going to play Gardner in the holdin roll we have to set him up for strikes on goal more. His first half attempt was about the best move we contrived in the whole game so when we did eventually get down the wings why weren't the numerous crosses in some cases pulled back on the floor for Gardner to run onto, I can.t recall one instance in the second half.

When you consider they had 4/5 first teamers out plus a 38 yr old we look to have big problems in the forth coming games, we are desperately short of someone to play up top with Ched. Surely with all the players at the club and forward who can hold the ball up is a priority and if he's carries an arial threat so much the better. I'll sacrifice bringing in a defender for a half decent midfielder who can contribute more in the goals for column.

Caldwell is still assessing what he's got and is obviously relying on the back room staff for guidance, I don't know how many times he's seen us play this season but any incoming player has to have an impact value - give me experiece over a young eager Premier kid.

You can forget Evans.

Ah, it was you I heard on the radio as I was driving away. I did wonder.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users