• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reality Check

#1 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 21 March 2024 - 09:53 AM

Anyone who thinks we will be nailed on to challenge for automatic promotion next season, which includes not only some fans but much of the media, is sadly delusional. Although I don't think we will struggle and will probably win more games than we lose be prepared for a lot more losses than this season. Mid table or an outside chance of the play offs is the best we can hope for.
As we all know the defence is simply not good enough and without new defenders I don't see a solution. As I suggested elsewhere there is no guarantee they will be any better. Good defenders aren't any easier to find that top strikers.

The thing which has really struck me lately is you take Colclough and Dobra out of the side and we look very ordinary. I know Dobra has his faults but he is a very skillful player at this level. Let's hope Colclough, our other truly skillful player, isn't going to have his career constantly disrupted by injury.
Mandeville had a lot of the ball second half last night but didn't do much with it and doesn't look the player he was. Hopefully this decline isn't permanant and he doesn't become the inconsistent frustrating performer he used to be. Also there is real concern for Naylor who will still be player of the season, but he has also looked extremely ordinary for a good number of games now and mistakes have crept into his play. Although he still chips in with goals and for these alone needs to play.
Apart from Dobra and Colclough we have hope from Berry and of course Grigg's goals, although he should have scored more than one last night. I wonder how Kabby would have fared with the one on one? Banks is a decent offensive option but as has been recognised is defensively poor and Oldaker is certainly not the answer.
The ages of Banks, Naylor, Jacobs, Grigg, Grimes, Palmer, Williams and of course especially Jones are concerning - none are going to get better.
There is also hope with Hobson, but despite his good goal at Oldham, in the couple of games he has had hasn't pulled up any trees, although any player deserves at least half a dozen games to show what he can do.
If we have lost Grigg and Colclough for the rest of the season it will be a disappointing end. The points record has gone as it seems have Grigg's chances of adding to his goal tally, but we can still reach 100 points and goals. However the record I really want is to remain unbeaten at home as I have never known that. However, I genuinely fear for that record in the last three games.

Finally, a word on the pitch last night. Yes, it's the same for both teams, but it was only in the second half that we got to some grips with it. Prior to that players were struggling to control the ball as they were at Dorking and I noticed sometimes they were overhitting it in a bid to get it through the mud. Such pitches make it really difficult to judge the weight of passes.
Ironically, players in the Sixties and Seventies had to play regularly on such surfaces. However modern players, more familiar with snooker table surfaces, aren't used to adapting their game for unpredictable surfaces. I wonder what they would have made of the Baseball Ground? I must say though some of the pitches this season have been as poor as I have seen for many years.

This post has been edited by Zigsuk: 21 March 2024 - 10:09 AM

#2 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:02 AM

I think some of our fans need to give themselves a reality check &!learn how to take a step back before firing ridiculous criticism at what Paul Cook & this squad has delivered this season.
Yes there’s always room for criticism & people quite rightly can spout their opinions…but when we lose 6 defeats in 40 games..let that sink in)…it’s idiotic petulance…thinking we have Devine right to win everything.

Cookie is quite right…you can’t try and judge what season will be based on this season…because it’s a completely different strategy & approach….Cookie is EXPERIENCED enough to know this & what we’ve done this season will be completely different from the next.
He will supplement this squad with more quality (as proven this season)
People go on about contract extensions that were handed out..but that’s a clever plan! Players who play for a quality side & that have been successful…will have a value! It’s doesn’t mean to say they will be here next season…an offer could come in & we sell…it’s a good plan

People need to enjoy this season & this season alone.

In fact I can recall exact same points last season….we need this we need that.
Cookie knew what we needed….so he brought in a top class keeper, one of the best midfielders outside league one & a proven striker that scored goals…..supplemented by other quality signings.

He will do exactly the same in pre-season to prepare for league two

This post has been edited by Waller is my hero: 21 March 2024 - 10:11 AM

#3 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:09 AM

View PostZigsuk, on 21 March 2024 - 09:53 AM, said:

Anyone who thinks we will be nailed on to challenge for automatic promotion next season, which includes not only some fans but much of the media, is sadly delusional. Although I don't think we will struggle and will probably win more games than we lose be prepared for a lot more losses than this season. Mid table or an outside chance of the play offs is the best we can hope for.
As we all know the defence is simply not good enough and without new defenders I don't see a solution. As I suggested elsewhere there is no guarantee they will be any better. Good defenders aren't any easier to find that top strikers.

The thing which has really struck me lately is you take Colclough and Dobra out of the side and we look very ordinary. I know Dobra has his faults but he is a very skillful player at this level. Let's hope Colclough, our other truly skillful player, isn't going to have his career constantly disrupted by injury.
Mandeville had a lot of the ball second half last night but didn't do much with it and doesn't look the player he was. Hopefully this decline isn't permanant and he doesn't become the inconsistent frustrating performer he used to be. Also there is real concern for Naylor who will still be player of the season, but he has also looked extremely ordinary for a good number of games now and mistakes have crept into his play. Although he still chips in with goals and for these alone needs to play.
Apart from Dobra and Colclough we have hope from Berry and of course Grigg's goals, although he should have scored more than one last night. I wonder how Kabby would have fared with the one on one? Banks is a decent offensive option but as has been recognised is defensively poor and Oldaker is certainly not the answer.
The ages of Banks, Naylor, Jacobs, Grigg, Grimes, Palmer, Williams and of course especially Jones are concerning - none are going to get better.
There is also hope with Hobson, but despite his good goal at Oldham, in the couple of games he has had hasn't pulled up any trees, although any player deserves at least half a dozen games to show what he can do.
If we have lost Grigg and Colclough for the rest of the season it will be a disappointing end. The points record has gone as it seems have Grigg's chances of adding to his goal tally, but we can still reach 100 points and goals. However the record I really want is to remain unbeaten at home as I have never known that. However, I genuinely fear for that record in the last three games.

Finally, a word on the pitch last night. Yes, it's the same for both teams, but it was only in the second half that we got to some grips with it. Prior to that players were struggling to control the ball as they were at Dorking and I noticed sometimes they were overhitting it in a bid to get it through the mud. Such pitches make it really difficult to judge the weight of passes.
Ironically, players in the Sixties and Seventies had to play regularly on such surfaces. However modern players, more familiar with snooker table surfaces, aren't used to adopting their game for unpredictable surfaces. I wonder what they would have made of the Baseball Ground? I must say though some of the pitches this season have been as poor as I have seen for many years.

Take players of dobra's and colclough's quality out of any team and they will be missed..
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#4 User is offline   LondonBlue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:20 AM

We have been ‘off it’ since Christmas. 15 points in our last 10 games and 3 defeats where we have conceded 4 goals tells us everything we need to know - and Cook won’t be blind to that.

Fantastic season, great squad for NL. But the signs are obvious, if we step up a level (which we will) - we need significant strengthening. We have a good squad, amazing management team and very good fan base. No need to panic - but I would imagine a new Back 4, another CM to partner Naylor, and another quality CF to support Grigg are required if we want to compete at the top end of league 2 next season.

#5 User is offline   FORZA AZZURRI 

• World Champions 1934*1938** 1982***2006****
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:24 AM

View PostLondonBlue, on 21 March 2024 - 10:20 AM, said:

We have been ‘off it’ since Christmas. 15 points in our last 10 games and 3 defeats where we have conceded 4 goals tells us everything we need to know - and Cook won’t be blind to that.

Fantastic season, great squad for NL. But the signs are obvious, if we step up a level (which we will) - we need significant strengthening. We have a good squad, amazing management team and very good fan base. No need to panic - but I would imagine a new Back 4, another CM to partner Naylor, and another quality CF to support Grigg are required if we want to compete at the top end of league 2 next season.

100% with this.
World Champions 1934 1938 1982 2006 ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Euro Champions 1968” 2020”

#6 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:30 AM

View PostLondonBlue, on 21 March 2024 - 10:20 AM, said:

We have been ‘off it’ since Christmas.

Not sure since xmas but maybe end of Jan. We played 7 games in January where we won 5 out of 5 league games scoring 14 goals, conceding 3 and the two we lost were in the last min at Championship Watford having giving them a real test and at Welling where we played a team of kids!

Since then its been a bit hit and miss.....P11 W5 D3 L3 F25 A21

#7 User is offline   LondonBlue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:37 AM

View PostJonB, on 21 March 2024 - 10:30 AM, said:

Not sure since xmas but maybe end of Jan. We played 7 games in January where we won 5 out of 5 league games scoring 14 goals, conceding 3 and the two we lost were in the last min at Championship Watford having giving them a real test and at Welling where we played a team of kids!

Since then its been a bit hit and miss.....P11 W5 D3 L3 F25 A21

Perhaps a bit harsh of me. However, I thought our victories against Alty and Woking were less than convincing and weren’t great performances. Daggers away another one.

We won those games and I’m not saying we didn’t deserve to - but I just feel like we haven’t been ‘on it’ since about Christmas.

#8 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:44 AM

We’ve been incredibly lucky

Loads of last minute get out jail wins against minnows

No competition in reality

And that run of home games over Christmas which allowed the gap to develop
JRID

#9 User is offline   rodney 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2024 - 05:52 PM

View PostSearch & Destroy, on 21 March 2024 - 10:44 AM, said:

You really are boring…….

#10 User is offline   Bluekent 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2024 - 06:05 PM

The hysterical wet wipes at it again. Fabulous. 🎣🎣🎣

#11 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 21 March 2024 - 06:48 PM

Let’s not be too whimsical about players in the 60s and 70.
80% would have struggled on billiard table surfaces, as their game was built around chasing and lumping a medicine ball out of bogs. The level of ball skills seen regularly now, including currently at Whittington Moor is way beyond what was presented to us in those days.
The downside is, that many current players haven’t a clue how to play on a surface as wet and muddy as last night.

#12 User is online   azul 

• Legend

Posted 21 March 2024 - 07:00 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 21 March 2024 - 06:48 PM, said:

80% would have struggled on billiard table surfaces, as their game was built around chasing and lumping a medicine ball out of bogs. The level of ball skills seen regularly now, including currently at Whittington Moor is way beyond what was presented to us in those days.
The downside is, that many current players haven’t a clue how to play on a surface as wet and muddy as last night.

Are you taking the p***
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#13 User is offline   stokey 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2024 - 07:15 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 21 March 2024 - 06:48 PM, said:

The way I saw it, every single pass was a gamble on that pitch yesterday. They didn't know what was gonna happen - whether to overhit it a bit, or play it in the air. Most of the passes in the first half were short. I KNOW it's the same for both sides, but it didn't suit our game for one, and one team were a bit more used to playing on a Potato Field than the other.

Now don't get me wrong - there were some defensive howlers, and I think Mike Jones should have been playing too, but it stopped our natural flow.

Thankfully, we'll not be subjected to these sorts of pitches next year

#14 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2024 - 08:01 PM

You should have stopped typing when you reached incredible.

#15 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 21 March 2024 - 08:03 PM

I’ll take incredibly lucky every year if it means promotion
Have passport will travel

#16 User is offline   satnav 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:27 PM

Looking at the fixtures earlier in the season March always looked like it would be a tough month especially if Oldham and Halifax had a sniff of making it into the play off. If we win or draw on Saturday we will be the first team in the top 5 leagues to gain promotion. I think at the start of the season most fans would have taken that.

#17 User is offline   tedspireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:41 PM

View Postsatnav, on 21 March 2024 - 10:27 PM, said:

Looking at the fixtures earlier in the season March always looked like it would be a tough month especially if Oldham and Halifax had a sniff of making it into the play off. If we win or draw on Saturday we will be the first team in the top 5 leagues to gain promotion. I think at the start of the season most fans would have taken that.

Spot on . if at start of season you would have said after 40 games we would be 21 points clear most people would say dream on your in cloud cuckoo land. but some people will allways have something to moan about. probably best if they find something else to do with there Saturday's really.

#18 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 21 March 2024 - 10:44 PM

View Postsatnav, on 21 March 2024 - 10:27 PM, said:

It’s all luck. We’re just very, very lucky.

#19 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Its fair to say i have a passing interest in chesterfield fc!

Posted 22 March 2024 - 07:34 AM

View PostGoku, on 21 March 2024 - 10:44 PM, said:

It could be down to the 4 leaf clover Cook found, his rabbits foot or that he regularly sees 2 Magpies together.

Or it could be that he's a cracking manager, signed cracking players, who played some cracking football and we are top because we deserve to be....

....it could also possibly be that S&D is talking total bollox as usual!

This post has been edited by Middle East: 22 March 2024 - 07:38 AM

BRITISH BY BIRTH - ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

#20 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2024 - 07:58 AM

View PostGoku, on 21 March 2024 - 10:44 PM, said:

Lucky Scouting. Lucky Recruitment. Lucky Tactics. Lucy Performances. Lucky Results. Lucky we're Champions.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users