• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Our Team

#21 Guest_Mr. Motivator_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:11 PM

I personally think that our forwards will shine next yearif they are given a chance.. because when youlook back at all these top players in our league who scored 20 goals last season you will find most will have had the same sort of season as tcham e.t.c

#22 User is offline   Sherman 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:59 PM

Mr. Motivator, on Jun 8 2005, 09:11 PM, said:

I personally think that our forwards will shine next yearif they are given a chance.. because when youlook back at all these top players in our league who scored 20 goals last season you will find most will have had the same sort of season as tcham e.t.c
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Roy has to make a decision about his best pairing and give it chance to gel.
Realistically, we shouldn't expect The Chief to have to do as much this season as he did last. Folan seems to be at his best coming off the bench and isn't a natural finisher.
For me, that leaves De Bolla and T'cham. De Bolla can finish but he needs to get off to a good start, get a run of games and get confident. With that, 10-15 for the season should be within his reach.
T'cham finished top scorer last season and should push on into double figures too. However, he is also a confidence player and needs games.
Of course, with Paul Hall providing some quality service from the wing, the number of chances should improve as well, let alone the goals we hope he can bring in himself.
I think the talent is there amongst our forwards but 1 or 2 need to grab the opportunity this season and really deliver.

#23 User is offline   belpercfc 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:08 PM

I'm not so forgiving,Tcham,Mark&Caleb had their chance last season.I'd give them until Christmas and if there was no improvement in the number of goals scored,I'd begin a cull.After all where were we without the Chief last term?

#24 Guest_The Chief_*

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:47 PM

Pleased we've signed hall but i would be over-joyed if we got sammy or jcr back

#25 User is offline   david_cfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Seeing the mighty Spireites obviously

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:58 PM

Tcham is amazing when he gets games and experience and a full 90, take the Oldham game! DeBolla after he scored against the Dee-Dahs well that said it all! Caleb yes better as a sub! Chief just if we need to hold the game up for the last 10!
Come On Spireites

#26 User is offline   Sam 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Then...Now...Forever a Spireite....

Posted 09 June 2005 - 06:03 PM

david_cfc, on Jun 9 2005, 05:58 PM, said:

Chief just if we need to hold the game up for the last 10!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

what is it you have against him so much?

he's the only striker who's useful in both boxes the truth is chief is a damn good target man and the opposition worry when they see his name on the team sheet, fact!

it startles me you have so much praise for a player who did ****** all through-out the season to some-one who did do something for our club.

I think you need sort out your priorities pal.
Reach for the moon, if you fall short you'll still be amongst the stars...

#27 User is offline   david_cfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:48 PM

Dont get me wrong Chief is good! But im afraid Sam, defences nowadays are more scared of pace! Yeah he's got strenght, but someone with a set of balls like say Shinner isnt going to be scared to tackle him, they wouldnt get the chance to tackle a player with pace because they would have long gone and scored!

Yes Cheif did well last season, BUT I think we need a pacey pair upfront, bring Chief on to HOLD the game up in the last 10-20 mins!
Come On Spireites

#28 User is offline   Sherman 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:58 PM

david_cfc, on Jun 9 2005, 08:48 PM, said:

Dont get me wrong Chief is good! But im afraid Sam, defences nowadays are more scared of pace! Yeah he's got strenght, but someone with a set of balls like say Shinner isnt going to be scared to tackle him, they wouldnt get the chance to tackle a player with pace because they would have long gone and scored!

Yes Cheif did well last season, BUT I think we need a pacey pair upfront, bring Chief on to HOLD the game up in the last 10-20 mins!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed.

He did really well last season, has some great qualities, and played some very good games. But, he will be 37 in October and we can't expect him to play 30-40 games again.

Time for a couple of the young ones to make the forward positions theirs with Chief as solid back-up when required.

#29 User is offline   Sam 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:00 PM

Think Tcham and Folan will do the buisness next season.

#30 User is offline   belpercfc 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:05 PM

The Chief is The Chief,the end.The sheer pleasure of watching him play for Town,what we expected of him and how well he played...he should have been paid in gold bars!
The Chief,I propose ...a Football League legend!Just witness the applause he got when visiting old clubs.

#31 User is offline   david_cfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:05 PM

Dont you think Folan is a better player as a super-sub?
Come On Spireites

#32 User is offline   Sam 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:07 PM

No because I believe he does a hell of a lot of work when started

Bristol springs to mind....

none of our strikers had a perfect season last year he's young and hes learning..

#33 Guest_The Chief_*

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:08 PM

david_cfc, on Jun 9 2005, 08:05 PM, said:

Dont you think Folan is a better player as a super-sub?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dont Know Really But that seemsto be the onlytime he scores

#34 User is offline   Sherman 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:10 PM

sam, on Jun 9 2005, 09:07 PM, said:

No because I believe he does a hell of a lot of work when started

Bristol springs to mind....

none of our strikers had a perfect season last year he's young and hes learning..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funnily enough, Chief had a superb game there too. Gave Danny Coles, 10 years his junior, a right roasting all evening and got the second goal. Quality centre forward play.

#35 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:10 PM

belpercfc, on Jun 9 2005, 08:05 PM, said:

The Chief is The Chief,the end.The sheer pleasure of watching him play for Town,what we expected of him and how well he played...he should have been paid in gold bars!
  The Chief,I propose ...a Football League legend!Just witness the applause he got when visiting old clubs.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well said Belp, Chief was well - respected wherever he went, and he gave 100% for us last season. We really can't expect so many games from him next term, and it's up to tcham, MDB, and Caleb to learn from Chief and show what they can do; one or more of them will, I believe, get well into double figures next season, especially with Paul Hall adding attacking threat and , hopefully, providing plenty of assists.

#36 Guest_Alex Green_*

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:42 PM

The Chief, on Jun 9 2005, 06:47 PM, said:

Pleased we've signed hall but i would be over-joyed if we got sammy or jcr back
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

dont forget that the Chief set up most goals with his flicked headers

and to say that Folan lost his close friend came on as sub and scored 2 great goals has to say something as well.

some players cant leave outside issues off the pitch. he obviously can. all the strikers got there heads down learned the game in there first full season even though they learn throughout there carreer

#37 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:51 PM

david_cfc, on Jun 9 2005, 09:48 PM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Think it depends on the opposition, some teams can defend against the high ball all day but panic at anyone travelling at more than a few feet a minute, others have quality full backs who run like the wind but bring mayhem upon themselves when a ball is lofted in the box. Add to this the complication of attacking at home and defending then trying to break away from home then you have real puzzlers.
And when ANY of your four strickers ar`nt being prolific then it can be a real tester and if I`ve any criticism of Roy it is our chopping and changing upfront, but I don`t have the answer.

Mr Mercury
East stand second class citizen.

#38 Guest_djs_*

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:59 PM

whats happened to the ex-stag fella?

#39 User is offline   skaw 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:26 PM

Have to say there have been numerous occassions when chief has annoyed me this season. An excellent target and even better extra centre back. lol. I dont like the style of play playing him encourages. Especially with a quality winger like hall and maybe logan we need to keep ball on ground and play down the wings and we need fast forwards able to keep up on counters, and forwards who go for goal whenever they can like tcham.

#40 User is offline   Sherman 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2005 - 04:51 PM

Mr Mercury, on Jun 9 2005, 11:51 PM, said:

Think it depends on the opposition, some teams can defend against the high ball all day but panic at anyone travelling at more than a few feet a minute, others have quality full backs who run like the wind but bring mayhem upon themselves when a ball is lofted in the box. Add to this the complication of attacking at home and defending then trying to break away from home then you have real puzzlers.
And when ANY of your four strickers ar`nt being prolific then it can be a real tester and if I`ve any criticism of Roy it is our chopping and changing upfront, but I don`t have the answer.

Mr Mercury
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hit the nail on the head.

No doubt for good tactical reasons, and as you say depending on the opposition and how they play, Roy does ring the changes up front.

Problem is, it doesn't give any of the strikers a chance to form a partnership with each other, or to get the confidence that comes from a run of games and a few goals.

Still feel that he needs to make a decision about who the best pairing is and then let them get on with it for a few games.

Perhaps he'll do that with one of the new signings if there is a striker amongst them.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users