• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bolsover Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:11 PM

Apparently it's the most unhappy place in the country.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#2 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:45 PM

http://www.thecfss.c...view=getnewpost

Didn't know that
Messageboard mafia. AKA - The Big Dog

#3 User is offline   Elmer Fudd's Thick Lip 

• The Ayatollah
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Big fan of Terry Thomas and Fu Manchu.

Partial to the odd beerd!!

Posted 27 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

It's not the town of Bolsover, but the district which comprises South Normanton, Clowne, Balborough, Whitwell, Creswell, Pinxton, Newton, Glapwell Pleasley, Tibshelf and Ault Hucknall among a few others.

So it's hardly surprising.South Normanton, Pinxton, Pleasley, Tibshelf, Whitwell, Creswell, Shirebrook, Langwith, Glapwell, basically the whole district as well as the town of Bolsover were crucified by Thatcher and have never fully recovered. It picked up briefly in Bolsover in the early 90's as supermarkets opened and the pubs and Sportsdrome were vibrant places for a great night out. Sadly the best pub in the town The Cross Keys is now a frozen food shop, The Cavendish has been opened /closed /reopened numerous times, and The White Swan hasn't been anything but a shell for a long time. The Angel is now an antique shop, The Anchor closed for a long time but is now in business again, while the Jewel in the crown, the Sportsdrome where people would come to from town and all over when the pubs had shut is now a Wetherspoons. So sad. It has tried to move on and re-energise, but hasn't succeeded.

First hand experience, living in Bolsover itself was the happiest time of my life. A great childhood and teenage years, before I sadly turned into a toerag. I know live in Dunston and it's worse round here than Boza ever was.

This post has been edited by Dave Wallers 'tache: 27 September 2015 - 09:26 PM

Mug?? Being wrong never gets boring!

#4 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 28 September 2015 - 09:36 PM

View PostDave Wallers, on 27 September 2015 - 08:58 PM, said:

It's not the town of Bolsover, but the district which comprises South Normanton, Clowne, Balborough, Whitwell, Creswell, Pinxton, Newton, Glapwell Pleasley, Tibshelf and Ault Hucknall among a few others.

So it's hardly surprising.South Normanton, Pinxton, Pleasley, Tibshelf, Whitwell, Creswell, Shirebrook, Langwith, Glapwell, basically the whole district as well as the town of Bolsover were crucified by Thatcher and have never fully recovered. It picked up briefly in Bolsover in the early 90's as supermarkets opened and the pubs and Sportsdrome were vibrant places for a great night out. Sadly the best pub in the town The Cross Keys is now a frozen food shop, The Cavendish has been opened /closed /reopened numerous times, and The White Swan hasn't been anything but a shell for a long time. The Angel is now an antique shop, The Anchor closed for a long time but is now in business again, while the Jewel in the crown, the Sportsdrome where people would come to from town and all over when the pubs had shut is now a Wetherspoons. So sad. It has tried to move on and re-energise, but hasn't succeeded.

First hand experience, living in Bolsover itself was the happiest time of my life. A great childhood and teenage years, before I sadly turned into a toerag. I know live in Dunston and it's worse round here than Boza ever was.

Newtons a very happy place .
East stand second class citizen.

#5 User is offline   HistoricWarwick 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that makes me smile.

Posted 05 October 2015 - 11:56 AM

Bolsover has an arts festival starting very shortly I believe? I read a leaflet whilst at Cresswell Crags yesterday. Took my daughter to help with her school studies on the ice age and prehistoric man.

I thought the visitor centre, cave trip and the bits they have done are very smart and although the weather helped, it is a nice place for a walk and a small drop of education.

#6 User is offline   shaun1866 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2015 - 12:52 PM

View PostHistoricWarwick, on 05 October 2015 - 11:56 AM, said:

Bolsover has an arts festival starting very shortly I believe? I read a leaflet whilst at Cresswell Crags yesterday. Took my daughter to help with her school studies on the ice age and prehistoric man.

I thought the visitor centre, cave trip and the bits they have done are very smart and although the weather helped, it is a nice place for a walk and a small drop of education.

Its not a patch on what it used to be, funds are running dry

sorry to point out I hope your daughters work doesn't get marked down for spelling (Creswell) i don't usually do the spelling police but when its your own village ha ha

#7 User is offline   HistoricWarwick 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Anything that makes me smile.

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:36 AM

View Postshaun1866, on 05 October 2015 - 12:52 PM, said:

Its not a patch on what it used to be, funds are running dry

sorry to point out I hope your daughters work doesn't get marked down for spelling (Creswell) i don't usually do the spelling police but when its your own village ha ha

Sorry Shaun - my error.

As an aside, when I was 10, my mother and deceased stepfather were awarded the license to run The Portland Hotel (I think) in Creswell.

Huge pub - terrified me before we moved in. They then had their application turned down at the last minute by the police for reasons I won't bore you with but, bottom line is that I could have ended up being brought up in Creswell back in the 80s.

So I should know how to spell it...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users