72+ points Play off's
83+ points Party Time

#42 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 October 2022 - 05:24 PM

John Duncan had a genius.

Creating sides that were greater than the sum of their parts.

Thankfully he did so twice at Town.

Okay, football being football there was a price to pay in terms of entertainment, but JD met such criticisms as a football man.

Always the reasonable gentleman.

Despite any footballing differences I look forward to honouring the minute's silence - though surely applause will be far more appropriate - of a bloke deserving everyone's respect...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#43 User is offline   SALTERGATE 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2022 - 05:35 PM

And credit to Mansfield Town fans who have turned the thread on Chesterfield FC on their own message board into acknowledgement of John Duncan, class

#44 User is offline   dazcarrlegend 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2022 - 05:50 PM

Terrible news. A great man in all respects. Gave me plenty of fabulous moments in teenage years, not least the cup run. RIP boss

#45 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2022 - 06:16 PM

RIP John, for me our greatest manager and a lovely bloke too.

#46 User is online   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 08 October 2022 - 06:21 PM

Like everyone I was saddened to hear of John Duncan's death. He was such an important part of the club for a good portion of many of our lives. Probably in terms of his achievements our most successful manager and richly deserving of all the tributes which I notice have come from far and wide, including Sir Alex Ferguson.

However, I can't help but recall all the criticism that was heaped upon him back then for the style of football. Can't remember whether it was during his first or second spell, but I recall one loyal long standing fan telling me he wasn't going again while ever Duncan was in charge. And I heard plenty of other similar comments. It seems at our level it's either success or entertaining football.
Although I wasn't such a fierce critic as some it always puzzled me at the time how someone who had been a very prolific goal scorer at the highest level as a player became such a defensive manager. I suppose it could be argued he adapted to the strengths or weaknesses of his teams and that's what made him a good manager.

One thing was for sure, whatever you thought of his style John sure knew how to grind out a 1-0 win. Some may have hated his approach, but how many times over subsequent years have we wished for someone like him again?

#47 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2022 - 06:28 PM

RIP John and thank for giving me a team to be proud of. Some great memories that will be with me for the rest of my life.

#48 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 08 October 2022 - 06:43 PM

A very sad way to round off the day. Part of my teenage years feel like they’ve died with him. Thanks for the memories and I hope he leaves his family with much more important ones to remember him by.

#49 User is offline   spireitenag 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2022 - 06:51 PM

A sad, sad day Rest in peace John.
A true gentleman.
Hopefully now up in heaven building a new team with Kevin and Ernie.
I spent many hours having a pint in the Royal Oak, Chatsworth Road with John and Kevin.
We at times argued over team selection and performance as at the time I was sports reporter for the Chesterfield Express newspaper.
On one occasion I had been particularly critical.
The upshot was John chucked me over a notepad and a pen and said to me "there you are select the team for Saturdays match away at Wycombe Wanderers".
There was nobody more surprised than me when I was handed the team sheet that Saturday and sure enough he fielded the team I selected.
Obviously this was a pure coincidence and needless to say we lost 1 - 0.
As said by many others a very astute and talented manager who gave us two promotions and that unforgettable cup run.
The town will be a sadder place without you.

#50 User is offline   Jud 

• One Club Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2022 - 07:02 PM

I came on here for a rant but have quickly had everything put into perspective. So sorry to read this news. I realise it sounds painfully twee and of course, at times, the football might have been an uncomfortable watch but I am not exaggerating when I say that JD and his 96-97 squad produced magic that I consider myself lucky to have experienced. As an impressionable nipper, he had such a huge part in my becoming not only a lover of football, but a Spireite. It was also always very apparent even as a young un that John Duncan was a gentleman to boot. My sincere condolences to his loved ones. RIP, Mr Duncan 💙
"Tha'd have known if l'd got hold o' thee...."

#51 User is offline   bucko 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2022 - 07:47 PM

John Duncan signed me as a Chesterfield Schoolboy when I was 14, RIP John, one of Chesterfield FC's greatest

#52 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2022 - 08:12 PM

A little bit before I got into football/watching town but know full well the impact his teams have had on the town and football club.

Probably gave those of you who were old enough to attend the finest memories ever as a Town fan, probably not to be repeated in our lives.

RIP JD

#53 User is offline   bifocart 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2022 - 08:20 PM

This is very sad to hear. He was good player, a fine manager and a decent man. Town were lucky to have him at all, never mind twice.

#54 User is offline   PontePete 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2022 - 08:30 PM

Stopped at a pub on the way back from Scarborough after a 1-0 win in 94/95 and JD and the players came in. I had a go at him about him continually leaving Steve Norris out of the team and he called me a miserable bounder (with a smile on his face I should add) for moaning about something like that after we’d won.

My retort was we’d been lucky to win and surely it hadn’t been in his game plan to win the game with a headed goal from 5ft 8 midfielder (Tom Curtis), anyway we agreed to disagree and shared a couple of pints.

Needless to say, come May when we triumphed in the play offs, Mr Duncan had the last laugh. He was a lovely guy and a proper football man.

Hope he gets the fitting tribute he deserves at the next home game.
Hater of all things Scab!

#55 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 08 October 2022 - 08:42 PM

Before my time and I wouldn’t have enjoyed his style of football. That said, clearly a town legend who deserves endless respect. RIP

#56 User is offline   bifocart 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2022 - 08:48 PM

View PostDougspireite78, on 08 October 2022 - 04:54 PM, said:

Think we need a permanent memorial such as a statue or stand named after him.

Yes.

#57 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 08 October 2022 - 08:52 PM

Without wanting to detract from the sober tone of this thread, perhaps worth remembering JD was a former title winning manager with CFC who returned after an ordinary spell with Ipswich and got us up despite an unconvincing start to that season.

Hmmm...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#58 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 October 2022 - 09:05 PM

remarkable achievement by JD to promote us twice, they often say in football "never go back" and rarely does it work a 2nd time around but John did it. I hope the club will create something special as a lasting memory for all time.

#59 User is offline   Bankrobber 

• 83 goals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Arctic Sheets and Fields of Wheat

Posted 08 October 2022 - 09:54 PM

A true CFC legend and a real loss to the football community. Like others have said John took the criticisms that come with being CFC manager with good grace, and it never seemed to stop him and Kevin Randall from enjoying a pint in the Market or wherever. RIP Duncs
The greatest miscarriage of justice since my case against the producers of the Never Ending Story

#60 User is offline   tomjoad 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bruce Springsteen Southside Counting Crows Abbot ale and LMS no 8s!

Posted 08 October 2022 - 10:20 PM

View PostBankrobber, on 08 October 2022 - 09:54 PM, said:

A true CFC legend and a real loss to the football community. Like others have said John took the criticisms that come with being CFC manager with good grace, and it never seemed to stop him and Kevin Randall from enjoying a pint in the Market or wherever. RIP Duncs
Often saw John and Kevin in the Market, would always be happy to chat. Two top guys RIP Mr. Ducan, you gave me some fantastic memories.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users