Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: The Cricket Thread - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (158 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Cricket Thread Summer 2012

#41 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:53 AM

View PostJonB, on 13 May 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

Decent setup as you would expect for the club they are. Two pitches so two games going off yesterday which makes it lively. Only second time I've been there in 20 years of playing!!

Just managed to make it through our double weekend. Managed 18 not out followed by 5-16 as we beat Staveley in the cup. We got 172 then bowled them out for 80.

Staveley are going to struggle this year I think. Have they even got their usual Aussie in?

#42 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 14 May 2012 - 07:29 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 14 May 2012 - 06:53 AM, said:

Staveley are going to struggle this year I think. Have they even got their usual Aussie in?

They were missing a couple yesterday but so we were to be honest. They've got an Aussie but he's not that great. Having them 11-5 after about 7 overs didn't help them!!

#43 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostJonB, on 14 May 2012 - 07:29 AM, said:

They were missing a couple yesterday but so we were to be honest. They've got an Aussie but he's not that great. Having them 11-5 after about 7 overs didn't help them!!

I know they are short of a slow bowler. They were keen to get my brother up there this year despite him only playing a solitary game last season.

#44 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 14 May 2012 - 12:12 PM, said:

I know they are short of a slow bowler. They were keen to get my brother up there this year despite him only playing a solitary game last season.

They have one spinner in Tom Bullimore who is decent but he didnt play yesterday and neither did Pembo who has taken plenty of wickets last couple of seasons but sounds like they were trying to recruit as they asked me to go up there as well after we got relegated last season. They've not had a great start to the season but fairly sure they'll be stronger than they were yesterday for the rest of the season.

One of those days where it was pretty much over within a few overs of their chase starting. 3-2 after i bowled the first over and 11-5 not long after that leaves a long way to go even when the target is only 173.

This post has been edited by JonB: 14 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

#45 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Without Pembo they'll struggle. None of the others get £££s per wicket :)

#46 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 14 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 14 May 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

Without Pembo they'll struggle. None of the others get £££s per wicket :)

He's certainly on a decent deal getting paid to play. Seems to be a growing trend these days in the top few divisions that makes it hard to get players if you dont pay. So many of them just respond initially with "how much will you pay me?" and they seem put out when you say nowt!!

#47 User is offline   Mr.Spireite 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Professionals in village cricket is laughable isn't it....

#48 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

View PostMr.Spireite, on 14 May 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

Professionals in village cricket is laughable isn't it....

I've no issue with the likes of a county contracted player or good overseas getting paid in some way and as well as playing raising the profile of the club and helping with coaching of youngsters etc and my club were one that were certainly pushed on to do better than others would expect us to do on the back of a couple, and one in particular, very good overseas. We used to help with flight and accomodation more than pay on a match basis.

That said i do agree that far to many distinctly average players are now getting paid for just rolling up on a match day. However cricket in the top few divisions of the Derbsyshire County League is now a long way from your old village cricket knockabout. Some seriously good players and very competitive cricket being played. This is shown by the amount of players now in the county side that have or are playing local cricket recently.

The side they fielded at Hampshire featured 3 lads who have grown up playing the DCCL, one more in Durston that plays for Chesterfield when allowed and there are numerous others in the wings waiting to come in that also play league cricket.

#49 User is offline   Mr.Spireite 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:30 PM

View PostJonB, on 14 May 2012 - 02:13 PM, said:

I've no issue with the likes of a county contracted player or good overseas getting paid in some way and as well as playing raising the profile of the club and helping with coaching of youngsters etc and my club were one that were certainly pushed on to do better than others would expect us to do on the back of a couple, and one in particular, very good overseas. We used to help with flight and accomodation more than pay on a match basis.

That said i do agree that far to many distinctly average players are now getting paid for just rolling up on a match day. However cricket in the top few divisions of the Derbsyshire County League is now a long way from your old village cricket knockabout. Some seriously good players and very competitive cricket being played. This is shown by the amount of players now in the county side that have or are playing local cricket recently.

The side they fielded at Hampshire featured 3 lads who have grown up playing the DCCL, one more in Durston that plays for Chesterfield when allowed and there are numerous others in the wings waiting to come in that also play league cricket.

I got out of local cricket just before these "professionals" became the norm in the game (With Staveley) as they rose in about 4 straight seasons from Bassetlaw 1D - 1A about 20 years ago. Cricket at a local level is so insular with families controlling clubs. It came to the point with me that no matter how hard you worked in the nets you were never going to get past the politics of the clubs. This is taking the thread a bit sideways but it was a problem with local cricket and I doubt it has changed.

#50 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:40 PM

It certainly can't help team spirit knowing you dip into your pocket to play knowing that cash is effectively going straight to a team mate.

In fact I know at one local club they stopped bothering with the public whip round pre-game when it became apparent only one player was actually paying!

We had a very average batsman a few years back who was 'allowed' not to pay subs and I was on the committee at the time completely oblivious to it!

#51 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

View PostMr.Spireite, on 14 May 2012 - 03:30 PM, said:

I got out of local cricket just before these "professionals" became the norm in the game (With Staveley) as they rose in about 4 straight seasons from Bassetlaw 1D - 1A about 20 years ago. Cricket at a local level is so insular with families controlling clubs. It came to the point with me that no matter how hard you worked in the nets you were never going to get past the politics of the clubs. This is taking the thread a bit sideways but it was a problem with local cricket and I doubt it has changed.

Not sure i've seen the family controlling thing as a major problem at clubs that i've come across in my time other than the odd one here or there. Things may have changed a bit these days or maybe not so much of an issue in the DCCL where i've played all my cricket.

#52 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 14 May 2012 - 03:40 PM, said:

It certainly can't help team spirit knowing you dip into your pocket to play knowing that cash is effectively going straight to a team mate.

In fact I know at one local club they stopped bothering with the public whip round pre-game when it became apparent only one player was actually paying!

We had a very average batsman a few years back who was 'allowed' not to pay subs and I was on the committee at the time completely oblivious to it!

Yep...i've always been against paying someone just to turn up and play for the same reason that it would upset things to know you were paying and watching it go straight to someone else. In fact we actually have a club rule that we dont pay players so to make the move and pay someone would actually need a change to be made at the AGM or an EGM.

As we've got up the leagues over the last few years we've only had a few players not pay subs either and they were the overseas we've had, including the first one who stayed on and became non-overseas and whilst we couldnt pay him he turned down numerous offers of money from other clubs to stay but he did far more for the club than just play so no one complained, and then a bloke and his son were exempt from paying subs for a time in return for him paying out of his own pocket for some new sightscreens that were badly needed to make sure we could continue up the leagues and not have ground rating stop us but the club were struggling to fund. We also have a rule that if someone travels over a certain distance to play for us whilst they pay subs they are entitled to some expenses back at so much per mile. This was brought in to help a lad who moved to Congleton but still travelled back every weekend to play for us but i dont think he ever made money as if it came to more than his subs he just wouldnt pay and call it quits.

#53 User is offline   Mr.Spireite 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:34 PM

The pool table in Staveley was the source of income to pay the pros years ago, must have paid them muself quite a bit, lol.

#54 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

Sun's out and Glamorgan are dire, especially with the bat and Wagg's injured. I expect a win.

#55 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 16 May 2012 - 09:05 AM, said:

Sun's out and Glamorgan are dire, especially with the bat and Wagg's injured. I expect a win.

Need to be winning these games if we have our sights on promotion. Steady start with a couple of early wickets from Clare. Foottit in for Palladino is an interesting move unless Palladino is injured.

#56 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Palladino must be injured. There could be no other reason to play Footitt instead. Three down at lunch when the opposition choose to bat isn't a bad start. Another three before tea would be nice.

#57 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:09 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 16 May 2012 - 12:29 PM, said:

Palladino must be injured. There could be no other reason to play Footitt instead. Three down at lunch when the opposition choose to bat isn't a bad start. Another three before tea would be nice.

113-5 currently so a couple of quick ones after lunch was a bonus. Need to Marcus North out and we'll roll them!

#58 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:15 PM

Looking good. Palladino 'rested' apparently.

#59 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

Glamorgan all out for 236. Need to bat big now and then bowl them out again!!

Footitt only bowled 3.5 overs so suspect he's done for this game!!

#60 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

View PostJonB, on 16 May 2012 - 04:29 PM, said:

Glamorgan all out for 236. Need to bat big now and then bowl them out again!!

Footitt only bowled 3.5 overs so suspect he's done for this game!!

He's made of chocolate that kid. Don't like these 8-10 over spells before the close. I always imagine closing on 18/4 or something.

Share this topic:

• (158 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users