Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Having Tasted Derby And Our Following - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Having Tasted Derby And Our Following

#41 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:48 AM

Show of bravado.

#42 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:04 AM

In a nutshell-
Football violence is the ultimate in cowardly bravado.
All outstretched arms and posturing.
Taking a Kop is like poking a lion through a fence- looks like you're hard and reckless but with no risk.
Run on Kop shout something-gesture then wait for stewards or police to drag you out with no harm done just points scoring for those with little self esteem.
There's safety in numbers and with a team of stewards and police around.
Nothing to do with supporting a team just stupidity that 95% of the rest of the fans just tut at and think 'sad w***ers'.

On Saturday there was a lot of spotty lads in bad trainers who spent most of the game facing the Derby equivalent, arms akimbo etc.

#43 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:30 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 26 January 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

Ah and this is who some people look up to?
When basically he was a football hooligan?

Does he now wear Burberry and talk about the old days?😅

beleive me you wouldnt have taken the urine out of him , youd be flat out on ure back , and remember this was over 35 yrs ago , while u were in ure dads xxxx :angry

#44 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:11 AM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 27 January 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:

beleive me you wouldnt have taken the urine out of him , youd be flat out on ure back , and remember this was over 35 yrs ago , while u were in ure dads xxxx :angry

Looks like I missed out on a treat there then!
Would a reasoned argument have done no good with him?

#45 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:28 AM

He sounds a real charmer. Was there a minutes silence by the club when he passed away?

This post has been edited by calvin plummers socks: 27 January 2015 - 09:31 AM

#46 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:32 AM

We all know that football violence is really a thing of the past in the main but its still a part of footballing history its pointless having an argument about a bloke who no matter what you think will remain part of chesterfields football history , its very easy to take the high and mighty stance , i have never been into it but i like reading about it and even more i like reading about characters in the game,going slightly off subject i admired eric cantona for his no nonsense two footed lunge at the fan who abused him for me probably one of the greatest characters of football, you need these kind of people else football becomes sterile and boring.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#47 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:West Ham United <br />Lager

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:39 AM

View PostErwan dsihounou, on 27 January 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

We all know that football violence is really a thing of the past in the main but its still a part of footballing history its pointless having an argument about a bloke who no matter what you think will remain part of chesterfields football history , its very easy to take the high and mighty stance , i have never been into it but i like reading about it and even more i like reading about characters in the game,going slightly off subject i admired eric cantona for his no nonsense two footed lunge at the fan who abused him for me probably one of the greatest characters of football, you need these kind of people else football becomes sterile and boring.

Completely agree with these bits , especially

Not convinced its entirely a thing of the past though
THEY FLY SO HIGH , NEARLY REACH THE SKY , AND LIKE MY DREAMS THEY FADE AND DIE

#48 User is offline   Comeonyouirons 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:West Ham United <br />Lager

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 27 January 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

Show of bravado.

Or just more fans of the away team in the ground ( or more specifically the "home end " ) 45 minutes before game ?

This post has been edited by Comeonyouirons: 27 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

THEY FLY SO HIGH , NEARLY REACH THE SKY , AND LIKE MY DREAMS THEY FADE AND DIE

#49 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 27 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

View PostErwan dsihounou, on 27 January 2015 - 09:32 AM, said:

I agree with you to a point about football hooliganism having a place in football history but a couple on here seem to have made this Gesler geezer out to be some mythical God. He sounds like a very sad individual. Being a thug doesn't mean he was a character.in the same way Fred West wasn't a character nor Jimmy Saville I guess?
I hadn't heard of him (neither have a couple of people who have messaged me on here last night who are of that age-although one person sent a message saying be careful as Gesler had a lot of mates-I'm expecting a burgundy Doc Martin coming my way at the next home game)....

It has been glorified over the years in rubbish like ID and Green Street. In reality it was as it is now-silly little boys playing and posturing.

Agree about Cantona though- he didn't just posture he went in!

#50 User is offline   Steak pie please 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:11 AM

Reading through this thread reminds me sooooo much of this film.

The shouting men intro

#51 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:36 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 27 January 2015 - 09:42 AM, said:

I agree with you to a point about football hooliganism having a place in football history but a couple on here seem to have made this Gesler geezer out to be some mythical God. He sounds like a very sad individual. Being a thug doesn't mean he was a character.in the same way Fred West wasn't a character nor Jimmy Saville I guess?
I hadn't heard of him (neither have a couple of people who have messaged me on here last night who are of that age-although one person sent a message saying be careful as Gesler had a lot of mates-I'm expecting a burgundy Doc Martin coming my way at the next home game)....

It has been glorified over the years in rubbish like ID and Green Street. In reality it was as it is now-silly little boys playing and posturing.

You've sussed the situation out very good as regards Gesler, I find it pathetic that people message you along the lines you describe. The fact that they did it by message shows the credence we should give it - these are people living in the past, personally I don't pity them but if they were to debate their views on here then I am sure their character would come shining through for all to see.
God I hate this league.

#52 User is offline   brianclose 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:41 AM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 27 January 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

You've sussed the situation out very good as regards Gesler, I find it pathetic that people message you along the lines you describe. The fact that they did it by message shows the credence we should give it - these are people living in the past, personally I don't pity them but if they were to debate their views on here then I am sure their character would come shining through for all to see.

Thought you and warfey were mates lol

#53 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 27 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

View Postbrianclose, on 27 January 2015 - 11:41 AM, said:

Thought you and warfey were mates lol

I tolerate him.
God I hate this league.

#54 User is offline   newbold ken 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:24 PM

For a really good portrayal of life in those days going to away matches and indeed some home matches I recommend Radders book "hiding with the hooligans". It really is a brilliant read.

#55 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:55 PM

I know its before your time. From memory it wasnt merely bravado and posturing, there was some real violence going on before, after and even during games before crowd segregation. It was like there were 2 battles going on most saturdays - one on the pitch and one off it. I dont know about the German beach towel tactic re Kop occupation and if it was successful. I guess that if fans of team A found fans of team B already on their kop there would be some aggro to try and shift them.

#56 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:24 AM

this wasnt posturing pal those days you tried taking the others kop 35 yrs ago , and some of it was nasty only a thin line of police or none at all ,you wouldnt be talking .like you do es;pecially as hes now gone , he had alot of friends to his funeral ,ure too young too remember ask us older guys about blyth spartans , villa at our place , millwall , sheff wed on our old kop ,peterborough , bradford city , this wasnt handbags ,you havent heard of him ure too young probably still on ure FARLEYS RUSKS , :angry :angry

#57 User is offline   semi130497 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:16 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 26 January 2015 - 08:31 AM, said:

How did Derby and its following taste?
Like lamb?

or coffee flavoured quality street?
Everyone thinks forgiveness is a lovely idea until they have something to forgive

#58 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:57 AM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 29 January 2015 - 07:24 AM, said:

this wasnt posturing pal those days you tried taking the others kop 35 yrs ago , and some of it was nasty only a thin line of police or none at all ,you wouldnt be talking .like you do es;pecially as hes now gone , he had alot of friends to his funeral ,ure too young too remember ask us older guys about blyth spartans , villa at our place , millwall , sheff wed on our old kop ,peterborough , bradford city , this wasnt handbags ,you havent heard of him ure too young probably still on ure FARLEYS RUSKS , :angry :angry

All pathetic - hope you've grown up a bit since then.

Did the club give him a minutes applause for all his hard work?

#59 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:02 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 29 January 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

All pathetic - hope you've grown up a bit since then.

Did the club give him a minutes applause for all his hard work?

we all have as some are over 60 , does someone change ure nappy and dress you now ,easy to disrespect a deceased person

#60 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:39 AM

[quote name='warfey is a spireite' timestamp='1422342148' post='1078903']
we used to sing were the best kop takers in the land , took nearly all the away ends back then , scunny end , brentford , chester , we were there
[/quote

Barnsley, Rotherham, Mansfield. Scunny inthe cup was the funniest when gesler lead his heavy mob wading through their kop end wearing an head band and eyepatch looking like a pirate. When you went away most home fans knew who gesler was. Halifax were hard andcan remember stepping off thesupporters bus when 2of their big boys started mouthing off wanting to know were he was. A few minutes he arrived and beat the hell out of both of them. Glad to say were not part of his mob but you felt much safer when they were around.I never want to witness those days again it was terrible.
lindave

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users