Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Stomach Bug - Who set the story running? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stomach Bug - Who set the story running?

#21 User is offline   h again 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:26 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on Aug 12 2008, 11:09 AM, said:

Looking at some posts I'm not convinced. Nice to see you admit the club's PR spin machine exists though.

If it didn't exist you'd be on here on a daily basis whingeing about lack of professionalism. Did you ever imagine for one second that a business organisation that relies on direct contact with its customers isn't going to run some sort of PR outfit, or that the job of a PR outfit is to put the best possible spin on events?
I really can't see your point. Except, of course, that the point of all your posts is to paint CFC in the worst possible light.

#22 User is offline   sammythespire 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:29 PM

View Postisleaiw, on Aug 12 2008, 01:24 PM, said:

I blame Darren Brown, the current Chairman, the manager, the government, British Gas and the oil companies....

And Fish!!!!
R.I.P Saltergate

#23 User is offline   isleaiw 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:31 PM

View Postsammythespire, on Aug 12 2008, 01:29 PM, said:

And Fish!!!!

he's not that important!!!

#24 User is offline   Balearic Mac 

• If you see it, say it...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:36 PM

View Posth again, on Aug 12 2008, 01:26 PM, said:

If it didn't exist you'd be on here on a daily basis whingeing about lack of professionalism. Did you ever imagine for one second that a business organisation that relies on direct contact with its customers isn't going to run some sort of PR outfit, or that the job of a PR outfit is to put the best possible spin on events?
I really can't see your point. Except, of course, that the point of all your posts is to paint CFC in the worst possible light.

Far be it from me to put a bit of a dampener on your image of a professional, well-drilled PR machine, but were it in any way as slick as you'd have us believe, it might at least have ensured all relevant parties sang from the same hymn sheet.

Some PR outfit that leaves the manager out to dry. Far too easy prey for Geoff Mitchell's investigative journalism skills I'm afraid.

This post has been edited by Balearic Mac: 12 August 2008 - 12:36 PM

"and a pair of those Geoff Mitchell glasses, please."

#25 User is offline   Spired 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:30 PM

View PostMP-Spire, on Aug 12 2008, 07:28 AM, said:

In Rico's latest interview, he clearly states Currie had no stomach bug, despite it being reported on BBC Radio Sheffield, Spireites World and a news link that still remains on chesterfield-fc.co.uk, suggesting that Currie not only had a stomach bug, but there were issues with his registration too!

So, as a bit of fun, where did the story come from?

Is there any wonder supporters are sceptical?

Well I really am skeptical on CFC but i'm skepitcal on a lot of things...if you don't question nor dig you don't find out more.

However, I think Chesterfield Football Club put out the stomach bug story correctly and i'll tell you why. Even though it was factually false.

It would have been exhaustive to explain the full detail of the contractual stuff before his due return to a club where he is regarded one of if not their greatest ever player. Barnet FC anticipated and no doubt were excited as to his return...I think it was smart of CFC to provide the smokescreen in this instance and to not allow London press to take any potential bait to ruining the signing of the lad.

It most likely was for the good of the club....I don't stand in any of this anti Hubbard nor pro-hubbard camps either...but that press release was what I reckon Man Utd would have done in a similar circumstance in a hypothetical situation with Tevez from West Ham.

#26 User is offline   PositiveOmen 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Newbold Lad. Professional Actor and Student Support at a College. Home and Away. Supported since 2001.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:24 PM

A good first day away win, Jack/Ward on form, an exciting cup tie tonight, a solid defence at last, and a winnable game on saturday..

It's all they've got to turn, leave them to it.
Carson Out.

#27 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:27 PM

View PostSpired, on Aug 12 2008, 02:30 PM, said:

Well I really am skeptical on CFC but i'm skepitcal on a lot of things...if you don't question nor dig you don't find out more.

However, I think Chesterfield Football Club put out the stomach bug story correctly and i'll tell you why. Even though it was factually false.

It would have been exhaustive to explain the full detail of the contractual stuff before his due return to a club where he is regarded one of if not their greatest ever player. Barnet FC anticipated and no doubt were excited as to his return...I think it was smart of CFC to provide the smokescreen in this instance and to not allow London press to take any potential bait to ruining the signing of the lad.

It most likely was for the good of the club....I don't stand in any of this anti Hubbard nor pro-hubbard camps either...but that press release was what I reckon Man Utd would have done in a similar circumstance in a hypothetical situation with Tevez from West Ham.

If no blame could be attached to the club then why not just tell the truth?

I suppose we should be thankful for a lie, at least its more than what we got re the length of Richardson's contract which was another potentially unpopular story that needed to be shielded from the fans.

This post has been edited by Town_Fan: 12 August 2008 - 02:27 PM

Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#28 User is offline   PositiveOmen 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Newbold Lad. Professional Actor and Student Support at a College. Home and Away. Supported since 2001.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:29 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on Aug 12 2008, 03:27 PM, said:

If no blame could be attached to the club then why not just tell the truth?

I suppose we should be thankful for a lie, at least its more than what we got re the length of Richardson's contract which was another potentially unpopular story that needed to be shielded from the fans.

You do know that if we would have lost against Barnet, then people would have critisized for releasing the information right before the game, and for worrying fans. Right or wrong, as a board, they can't win.
Carson Out.

#29 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:52 PM

View PostBalearic Mac, on Aug 12 2008, 01:36 PM, said:

Far be it from me to put a bit of a dampener on your image of a professional, well-drilled PR machine, but were it in any way as slick as you'd have us believe, it might at least have ensured all relevant parties sang from the same hymn sheet.

Some PR outfit that leaves the manager out to dry. Far too easy prey for Geoff Mitchell's investigative journalism skills I'm afraid.

You've been reading TF's posts until you even think like him. Nowhere did I say our PR machine was efficient, I simply pointed out that it was no surprise to anybody at all that we actually possessed such a thing. What we have isn't much, and we could do with something far more professionaly organised, but personally I'd rather our scarce resources went on the playing staff and we live with the occasional PR glitch.

#30 User is offline   Andy Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Er..............Town!

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:59 PM

View Posth again, on Aug 12 2008, 03:52 PM, said:

You've been reading TF's posts until you even think like him. Nowhere did I say our PR machine was efficient, I simply pointed out that it was no surprise to anybody at all that we actually possessed such a thing. What we have isn't much, and we could do with something far more professionaly organised, but personally I'd rather our scarce resources went on the playing staff and we live with the occasional PR glitch.

You can say that again.

I think our PR effort is woefully inadequate generally, we need to be better at keeping the existing fans onside and also projecting a good image of the club externally to help with attracting new fans and sponsors and to maximise what we can out of the club

This is something that I hope is addressed in the move to the new stadium

#31 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:02 PM

View Posth again, on Aug 12 2008, 03:52 PM, said:

You've been reading TF's posts until you even think like him.

Unilke yourself who stalks T_F
A new hope.

#32 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:35 PM

T_F I really used to like reading your posts, I thought they covered both good and bad points but this season it's completely bad! I can't remember you posting anything good about the win (correct me if I'm wrong) and I really don't see a problem with this stomach bug thing. So what, it's better than worrying everyone a few hours before kick off.

#33 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:12 PM

View PostHaslandboi, on Aug 12 2008, 04:35 PM, said:

T_F I really used to like reading your posts, I thought they covered both good and bad points but this season it's completely bad! I can't remember you posting anything good about the win (correct me if I'm wrong) and I really don't see a problem with this stomach bug thing. So what, it's better than worrying everyone a few hours before kick off.

I was going to write a match report about the Barnet game but FG beat me to it and to have done my own would have just been a duplicate as I agreed with pretty much everything he said including the many positives.

It was a very good performance, that said we still were put under some pressure late on more than I would have liked towards the end and I think tonight and Bury will be better tests.

Lester and Ward played well but Ward missed to many and it took Lester to take the pressure off him. The midfield impressed me most as I wasnt really impressed by the signings in those positions. I also think Page and Austin need more time but they coped with the majority of what Barnet could throw at us.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#34 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:15 PM

Thankyou :P

#35 Guest_MP-Spire_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:17 PM

Will Dazza play tonight?

How long does a glitch last for? Is it a 48 or 72 hour bug?

Is glitch a posh word for the shhhhs?

#36 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:29 PM

Glitch is only to do with computers isn't it? Or like cheating in a game... for example, "he's glitching" would mean he's exploting a flaw in the game...

Well that's how I know it :P

#37 User is offline   PositiveOmen 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:37 PM

View PostHaslandboi, on Aug 12 2008, 05:29 PM, said:

Glitch is only to do with computers isn't it? Or like cheating in a game... for example, "he's glitching" would mean he's exploting a flaw in the game...

Well that's how I know it :P

I thought a "glitch" was a problem/weakness/flaw
Carson Out.

#38 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:18 PM

Similar things if you put them in context.

#39 User is offline   PositiveOmen 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:23 PM

View PostHaslandboi, on Aug 12 2008, 06:18 PM, said:

Similar things if you put them in context.

Just giving a bit of vocab, i mean the only time i've heard it, is when people say "it went with out a glitch"
Carson Out.

#40 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:28 PM

You obviously don't play enough Xbox :P

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic