Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Stomach Bug - Who set the story running? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Stomach Bug - Who set the story running?

#1 Guest_MP-Spire_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:28 AM

In Rico's latest interview, he clearly states Currie had no stomach bug, despite it being reported on BBC Radio Sheffield, Spireites World and a news link that still remains on chesterfield-fc.co.uk, suggesting that Currie not only had a stomach bug, but there were issues with his registration too!

So, as a bit of fun, where did the story come from?

Is there any wonder supporters are sceptical?

#2 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:03 AM

It was probably just something they put in at the last second. Maybe saying he had a stomach bug was simpler at the time (not long before the game). Maybe the club thought supporters wouldn't get mardy about this 1 little thing; it hardly affects them.

#3 User is offline   Frank Thacker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:32 AM

The story came despite the club running a "spin machine" of Merlin-like propertions, according to some. :)

Like you I guess, I first heard one of our SW commentators mention it. Richardson is uncomfortably dismissive of GM's question about what went wrong, telling him (and by extension, us) that "You don't need to know that." LR does say that Currie was unwell during the week, so I'd say it is most likely that someone knew about the illness, put two and two together when they saw the team sheet and came up with an answer which, on this occasion, was not divisible by two.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Aspire_webby 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:12 AM

View PostMP-Spire, on Aug 12 2008, 07:28 AM, said:

In Rico's latest interview, he clearly states Currie had no stomach bug, despite it being reported on BBC Radio Sheffield, Spireites World and a news link that still remains on chesterfield-fc.co.uk, suggesting that Currie not only had a stomach bug, but there were issues with his registration too!

So, as a bit of fun, where did the story come from?

Is there any wonder supporters are sceptical?

I tend towards cock-up rather than conspiracy theories on the basis that most people are not smart enough to conspire effectively but more than capable of being incompetent - often habitually so. For example, there was a thread got locked yesterday on the MB. Slip of a Mods finger I'm sure... :-)

This post has been edited by Aspire_webby: 12 August 2008 - 08:14 AM

#5 User is offline   Andy Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Er..............Town!

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:20 AM

View PostAspire_webby, on Aug 12 2008, 09:12 AM, said:

I tend towards cock-up rather than conspiracy theories on the basis that most people are not smart enough to conspire effectively but more than capable of being incompetent - often habitually so.

Am I being overly naive here?

I think it is fairly common in football for terms like 'stomach bug', 'virus', etc to explain short term absences of players for a multitude of different reasons that are not necessarily those stated.

I do not see this as that club necessarily lying, they are just staements designed to get past some short term problem without causing any undue fuss and I accept that this happens at all levels of the game.

I imagine the club hoped this would be resolved sooner rather than later and did not want to:

- cause panic amongst the fans
- alert other clubs to the fact that Currie may well not be a town player
- gain any negative publicity about the apparent problems in registration

When it appeared that this would take more time they clearly had to come clean on this but I do not think anybody needs to be seen as the scapegoat in all of this, it's just one of those things in my view and hopefully now that it is publicised we can work on sorting this out ASAP so that Currie really will be a town player

This post has been edited by AndySpireite: 12 August 2008 - 08:22 AM

#6 User is offline   Sin 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:31 AM

as an aside, if I was a footballer, I wouldnt want them saying "stomach upset" or anything like that, even if I did have that! I'd be like "nooooo! don't tell them I've got the squits!"

mortifying

#7 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

View PostAndySpireite, on Aug 12 2008, 09:20 AM, said:

Am I being overly naive here?

I think it is fairly common in football for terms like 'stomach bug', 'virus', etc to explain short term absences of players for a multitude of different reasons that are not necessarily those stated.

I do not see this as that club necessarily lying, they are just staements designed to get past some short term problem without causing any undue fuss and I accept that this happens at all levels of the game.

I imagine the club hoped this would be resolved sooner rather than later and did not want to:

When it appeared that this would take more time they clearly had to come clean on this but I do not think anybody needs to be seen as the scapegoat in all of this, it's just one of those things in my view and hopefully now that it is publicised we can work on sorting this out ASAP so that Currie really will be a town player

I think it was probably more the fact that it had 'leaked' on here and they had to come clean.

This board is read by the 'the club' more than we think

#8 User is offline   Aspire_webby 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 08:39 AM

View PostAndySpireite, on Aug 12 2008, 09:20 AM, said:

I do not see this as that club necessarily lying, However noble their intentions - someone was telling fibs!

"Riots in North London as Spireites demand heads roll over the Currie affair"??

Anyone interested in Currie had plenty of time to express their interest when Adams advertised the fact that he was available so eloquently over a 2 week period

Chalk that one up as a success then :-)

This would be yesterday's news if the club had come clean in the first place instead of playing Go Fish!

#9 User is offline   Andy Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Er..............Town!

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:05 AM

I understand the arguments put forward, and I am absolutely not advocating lying, my point is - have the management of our club acted any differently to any other club would in a similar situation in terms of the 'stomach bug' cover story - my feelings is that we have not

#10 User is offline   Aspire_webby 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:16 AM

View PostAndySpireite, on Aug 12 2008, 10:05 AM, said:

I understand the arguments put forward, and I am absolutely not advocating lying, my point is - have the management of our club acted any differently to any other club would in a similar situation in terms of the 'stomach bug' cover story - my feelings is that we have not

I'm not overly exercised by it as long as the truth is now being told - i.g. that there is a glitch not a problem. It was sensible not to play him and plain silly to say he had a stomach bug.

This post has been edited by Aspire_webby: 12 August 2008 - 09:16 AM

#11 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:26 AM

The good thing to come out of this is that maybe a few on here will question what's going on rather than take the stuff they are spoon fed by the club as gospel.

Another positive could be that the club see this as a spin too far and reign in the person(s) responsible.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#12 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:58 AM

View PostTown_Fan, on Aug 12 2008, 10:26 AM, said:

The good thing to come out of this is that maybe a few on here will question what's going on rather than take the stuff they are spoon fed by the club as gospel.
Another positive could be that the club see this as a spin too far and reign in the person(s) responsible.

Does anybody? It might surprise you, but most of the people you look down on are quite capable of deciding what bits of PR are important and which are simply flannel.

#13 User is offline   S18Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:07 AM

Frankly, I don't give a damn

Watergate, it is not. And lest we forget we have had far far far worse mis-truths to worry about
flat-pack my ar se

#14 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:09 AM

View Posth again, on Aug 12 2008, 10:58 AM, said:

It might surprise you, but most of the people you look down on are quite capable of deciding what bits of PR are important and which are simply flannel.

Looking at some posts I'm not convinced. Nice to see you admit the club's PR spin machine exists though.

#15 User is offline   spirette 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Spireite through and through

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:29 AM

Didn't the story say he'd been poorly towards the end of the week anyway?
Chesterfield FC: League 2 Champions 2010-2011/2013-2014

#16 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:23 AM

View Postspirette, on Aug 12 2008, 11:29 AM, said:

Didn't the story say he'd been poorly towards the end of the week anyway?

Thats what we call in the business a climb down and attempted save of face.

#17 User is offline   isleaiw 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:26 AM

View PostTown_Fan, on Aug 12 2008, 12:23 PM, said:

or maybe the truth? most lies / spin are an exaggeration of the truth so it may have been the fact that he had been a bit ill that gave the idea for the announcement???

#18 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:26 AM

View PostTown_Fan, on Aug 12 2008, 12:23 PM, said:

So what is the truth,where is Chris Snell when we need him the most.....

#19 Guest_MP-Spire_*

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:09 PM

I blame Davina McCall.

#20 User is offline   isleaiw 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:24 PM

View PostMP-Spire, on Aug 12 2008, 01:09 PM, said:

I blame Davina McCall.

I blame Darren Brown, the current Chairman, the manager, the government, British Gas and the oil companies....

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users