• You cannot reply to this topic

Barnets goal

#41 User is offline   isleaiw 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:53 AM

View PostBalearic Mac, on Aug 12 2008, 12:42 PM, said:

Indeed they do. The fact that you can even name the games in which they made them may illustrate how infrequent they actually were.

It is a fact that in our last two competitive outings our keeper has cost us two goals. I also read that he very nearly cost us one in his previous outing against Sheff Wed. You may well be right to dismiss these things and sweep them under the carpet. However we could have a major problem our hands if there is a pattern emerging here.

I'll raise my concerns if I believe they're legitimate. Likewise, others may chose to bury their heads in the sand but surely the jury must surely still be out for any rational, right-minded individuals among us.

of course, if Jack and Jamie hadn't found their shooting boots in the second half, we would all have been blaming the goalkeeper error for the defeat and not the glaring misses at the other end. Who'd be a goalie hey....??

#42 User is offline   Sin 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:54 AM

Indeed they do. The fact that you can even name the games in which they made them may illustrate how infrequent they actually were.

It is a fact that in our last two competitive outings our keeper has cost us two goals. I also read that he very nearly cost us one in his previous outing against Sheff Wed. You may well be right to dismiss these things and sweep them under the carpet. However we could have a major problem our hands if there is a pattern emerging here.

I'll raise my concerns if I believe they're legitimate. Likewise, others may chose to bury their heads in the sand but surely the jury must surely still be out for any rational, right-minded individuals among us.

fair point, but lets not write the guy off just yet - he was very highly rated by the Rochdale fans last season so I'm hopeful that there is nothing to worry about

#43 User is offline   Balearic Mac 

• If you see it, say it...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:10 PM

View PostSin, on Aug 12 2008, 12:54 PM, said:

fair point, but lets not write the guy off just yet - he was very highly rated by the Rochdale fans last season so I'm hopeful that there is nothing to worry about

Certainly wouldn't want to write him off. I hope we barely notice who our keeper is in that he has a quiet, successful season as we canter to the title. There are bound to be a few teething problems whilst players develop a mutual understanding, and the relationship between our defence and keeper will ultimately be pivotal to our sucess...

This post has been edited by Balearic Mac: 12 August 2008 - 12:16 PM

"and a pair of those Geoff Mitchell glasses, please."

#44 User is offline   Denny 

• First Team Player
  • Group: Admin

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:42 PM

All keepers make mistakes, it's just that they get noticed more.

For me, If it's a choice between a keeper that fouls up and lets his head and form drop for the game he's playing in and the forthcoming games or one that puts a mistake behind him, fires himself up and refuses to be beaten. Well. I know which one I would pick.

Welcome Tommy.

#45 Guest_djs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:39 PM

View PostDenny, on Aug 12 2008, 02:42 PM, said:

All keepers make mistakes, it's just that they get noticed more.

For me, If it's a choice between a keeper that fouls up and lets his head and form drop for the game he's playing in and the forthcoming games or one that puts a mistake behind him, fires himself up and refuses to be beaten. Well. I know which one I would pick.

Welcome Tommy.

I was just about to say the same. How many misses did Jack and Wardy have before they scored. I don't think anyone would remember, are these classed as 'mistakes'? or errors of judgement?.
This discusion about the goal is turning into a blaming exercise, none should be apportioned, Sometimes sh@t just happens!

#46 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:43 PM

Wow he really must have buggered up then, he's messed up in our last 2 competative outings but there's only been 1 so far :lol:

#47 User is offline   markpearson 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:45 PM

View Postdjs, on Aug 12 2008, 04:39 PM, said:

I was just about to say the same. How many misses did Jack and Wardy have before they scored. I don't think anyone would remember, are these classed as 'mistakes'? or errors of judgement?.
This discusion about the goal is turning into a blaming exercise, none should be apportioned, Sometimes sh@t just happens!

The thing is though outfield players get other chances to radeem themselves and if they miss absolute sitters they would be classed as major errors. The mistakes over the last 2 games have been the equivalents of missing open nets i really believe that. Burton was a terrible mistake and no matter what anyone says the one at barnet was as bad as i've seen from a keeper for a long while..

He did make up for it with some top saves but i'm sorry when the ball is in the air i Bunkum myself he gt away with one about 5 mins before they scored where he totally miss judged a cross and nearly palmed it in.
ooooooooohhhhhhh i like a nice cuppa tea !!!!!

#48 Guest_djs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:45 PM

View PostHaslandboi, on Aug 12 2008, 04:43 PM, said:

Wow he really must have buggered up then, he's messed up in our last 2 competative outings but there's only been 1 so far :lol:

I think he means the Burton game as well

#49 User is offline   spiretom 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:46 PM

Obviously its a worry that Lee's made two mistakes in two games, but he had very good reviews from Rochdale and hasn't had long to settle down here. He may just be having a bit of poor form, and hopefully this will disappear as he settles in and gains confidence as he appeared to do at Barnet.

#50 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:46 PM

He said competative... Friendlies arn't counted as competative games.

#51 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:14 PM

View PostHaslandboi, on Aug 12 2008, 04:46 PM, said:

I would wager BM meant competative in regards as to the standard of football but I agree it normally means competition football.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#52 User is offline   toddhopper 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Obviously Chesterfield FC. Sea Trout Fishing.

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:48 PM

It was plain to see that the flight of the ball changed on its way to the penalty area, unless Lee is psychic he has little chance of predicting changes in the wind. To describe the error as horrendous is laughable I'm afraid. Lee also prevented several goals going in & proved himself to be far more athletic & agile than Roche. I'm encouraged that we have signed a good keeper. Only time will tell of course.

#53 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:35 PM

View Posttoddhopper, on Aug 12 2008, 05:48 PM, said:

It was plain to see that the flight of the ball changed on its way to the penalty area, unless Lee is psychic he has little chance of predicting changes in the wind. To describe the error as horrendous is laughable I'm afraid. Lee also prevented several goals going in & proved himself to be far more athletic & agile than Roche. I'm encouraged that we have signed a good keeper. Only time will tell of course.

Of course it was an horrendous error and to describe it as ay other is laughable.

If it was plain to see the flight of the ball changing in the aor then why didn't he see it and move his feet accordingly? Irrespective of how he redeemed himself after it was an absolute howler

#54 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 12 August 2008 - 05:38 PM

View PostBalearic Mac, on Aug 12 2008, 01:10 PM, said:

There are bound to be a few teething problems whilst players develop a mutual understanding, and the relationship between our defence and keeper will ultimately be pivotal to our sucess...

I hope it was the unfortunate, once in a blue moon, by product of the defence pushing up a lot more, and the goalie needing to also push that bit farther out so that he can sweep up easily, the alternative being some of the common unholy messes that Rochy and his ill organised defenders used to end up in.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#55 User is offline   Balearic Mac 

• If you see it, say it...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:05 PM

View PostHaslandboi, on Aug 12 2008, 04:46 PM, said:

If that's the best defence you can come up with then I rest my case. In any case, why the urge to defend the indefensible..? I'm sure the lad would even acknowledge the clangers himself...

This post has been edited by Balearic Mac: 12 August 2008 - 07:14 PM

"and a pair of those Geoff Mitchell glasses, please."

#56 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:36 PM

View PostBalearic Mac, on Aug 12 2008, 08:05 PM, said:

If that's the best defence you can come up with then I rest my case. In any case, why the urge to defend the indefensible..? I'm sure the lad would even acknowledge the clangers himself...

I was simply stating that it was a non-competative game... friendlies are non competative, so why say it's competative, mard bottom? Oh, by the way, he's kept us in the game.

This post has been edited by Haslandboi: 12 August 2008 - 07:37 PM

#57 User is offline   shaun1866 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:33 PM

View PostBalearic Mac, on Aug 12 2008, 12:13 PM, said:

Take your head out your backside for once, who knows, you might then be able to recognise valid and constructive criticism.

It was a dreadful error, the likes of which cost us dearly last season. I strongly believe the goalkeeping position has been insufficiently prioritised for far too long and that's the last position we should leave to chance. The new guy has made several notable errors to date and he's only been here a matter of weeks. FACT.

i think your opinion needs to change because after seeing live his saves on saturday and some of the top draw saves he pulled of tonight (again live) then i for 1 am 100 % sure we have a gem here his communication tonight with the defence was fantastic very commanding and his shouts were heard by everyone , and his kicking has looked nothing less than safe and solid since the start of the season , mistakes happen ... give the lad a break

sorry have to edit i forgot the word FACT

This post has been edited by yes1866: 13 August 2008 - 12:09 AM

#58 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:00 AM

Faultless tonight and made some very good saves - no chance with goals - Mellor followed in on the first after Lee was grounded after a brilliant save and we were caught on the break for the second with everbody up trying to save the game - the fact that we didn't was principally due to Lester and Ward missing several good chances - but we played well.

#59 User is offline   marlons curtains 

• Key Player
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:06 AM

Theres something about Tommy Lee i like... a quiet confidence, I think hes a quality shot stopper and comes off his line well... his kicking isnt as good as Big Barry's but I think hes going to be a real hit here and a crowd favourite.
Posted Image

#60 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 13 August 2008 - 12:11 AM

His kicking in the Sheffield Wednesday game from his area was fantastic on his right.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users