• +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Barnets goal

#1 Guest_djs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:32 PM

Just seen the blunder goal on Look North quite embarassing for the lad. :lol: A bit like the goal that Spurs conceeded in a Euro match some years ago. Can't remember the keepers name.

#2 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:37 PM

View Postdjs, on Aug 11 2008, 11:32 PM, said:

Just seen the blunder goal on Look North quite embarassing for the lad. :lol: A bit like the goal that Spurs conceeded in a Euro match some years ago. Can't remember the keepers name.

DJS sorry to disalusion you but if you had been there the conditions were awful,blustery and raining it was more a fluke than any error by our keeper,the guy who took the kick just got lucky on the day just like Jim Brown did many years ago,but you forgot to mention the saves Lee made to ensure our victory,ok they didn't show them on tv but i ca assure he did....

#3 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:38 PM

He made an even more embarassing blunder at Burton; not judging the lad on two games, but that's two truly horrendous errors in two matches. I will support Lee all the way, but I'm just wondering how long the Barry Roche hecklers will wait before starting on this keeper.

This post has been edited by sophocles: 11 August 2008 - 10:40 PM

#4 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:41 PM

View Postsophocles, on Aug 11 2008, 11:38 PM, said:

He made an even more embarassing blunder at Burton; not judging the lad on two games, but that's two truly horrendous erors in two matches. I will support Lee all the way, but I'm just wondering how long the Barry Roche hecklers will wait before starting on this keeper.

Where was his defence,Downes was sat on his bum,everybody missed it Soph,it was more a fluke than anything else....

#5 Guest_djs_*

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:43 PM

View Postspireiteblue, on Aug 11 2008, 11:37 PM, said:

DJS sorry to disalusion you but if you had been there the conditions were awful,blustery and raining it was more a fluke than any error by our keeper,the guy who took the kick just got lucky on the day just like Jim Brown did many years ago,but you forgot to mention the saves Lee made to ensure our victory,ok they didn't show them on tv but i ca assure he did....

I'm not dissing the lad and I understand all that about the weather and the rest. It was just how it looked on tv thats all!

#6 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:44 PM

It wad a pure fluke but both Lea and Page need to communicate better and its up to the captain to keep the keeper's confidence up.
lindave

#7 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:46 PM

View Postdjs, on Aug 11 2008, 11:43 PM, said:

I'm not dissing the lad and I understand all that about the weather and the rest. It was just how it looked on tv thats all!

Ok i was there and it looked a complete fluke to me,it was just a aimless ball into the box and i am sure the wind took it,they couldn't believe it nor could we....

#8 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:53 PM

View Postspireiteblue, on Aug 11 2008, 11:41 PM, said:

Where was his defence,Downes was sat on his bum,everybody missed it Soph,it was more a fluke than anything else....

As I said SB, I will give him my full support every time he plays for us, but I stand on the Kop, and I can assure you there's a minority on there who are ready to run down our own players at the first opportunity. They know absolutely nothing about football, and I don't think they're even that interested in anything except hearing their own voices. They gave out the treatment to Folan, then Ward for missing chances last season, then Rochey. Some of the half-wits even started having a go at Jack last season for being too greedy!!! All I'm saying is that I hope Tommy has a sound game v Bury, and that we get a good home win.

#9 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:58 PM

View Postsophocles, on Aug 11 2008, 11:53 PM, said:

As I said SB, I will give him my full support every time he plays for us, but I stand on the Kop, and I can assure you there's a minority on there who are ready to run down our own players at the first opportunity. They know absolutely nothing about football, and I don't think they're even that interested in anything except hearing their own voices. They gave out the treatment to Folan, then Ward for missing chances last season, then Rochey. Some of the half-wits even started having a go at Jack last season for being too greedy!!! All I'm saying is that I hope Tommy has a sound game v Bury, and that we get a good home win.

There is nothing wrong with Lee he ensured we got 3 points on saturday Soph,we could have conceeded in a spell in the second half he pulled off about 3 quality saves....

#10 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:24 PM

Just seen the blunder goal on Look North quite embarassing for the lad. :o A bit like the goal that Spurs conceeded in a Euro match some years ago. Can't remember the keepers name.

To be fair, the ball did hold up/go long on the wind, but yes, it was a boo boo. He did 2 things after that

1) got on with the game, made some quality saves, and didnt let the ironic cheers get to him

2) collapse in a big mardy heap like some other keepers might have done.
A new hope.

#11 User is offline   toddhopper 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Obviously Chesterfield FC. Sea Trout Fishing.

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:25 PM

I was at the match & had a very good view of what happened. As the free kick was taken Lee took 2 or 3 steps off his line anticipating the ball was going to drop somewhere in the middle of the box. It was obvious from my angle that the ball was effected by the wind and travelled further than anyone could have anticipated. Whilst it is right to say Lee misjudged the flight it would be unfair to criticise him for it, which as far as I could tell noone did. It was plain throughout the game that the wind was a major factor in proceedings. In the first half we had trouble clearing our lines because of it as did Barnet in the second.
To my amazement, on my halftime visit to the gents I heard one or two angrily criticising the first half performance. It is obvious there are those who know nothing about football & will never be happy unless we win by 4 in every game. Despite the conditions being against us in the first half we were still the better team & when we got the ball down looked streets ahead of Barnet. Sadly it is true that we have an element who only want to complain & run the manager & team down, so it is up to the rest of us to drown them out & present a positive & supportive face.
I may be wrong but it appears to me that different sets of fans do have distinct characters & unfortunately as a body of supporters we are quick to turn on our own team. I think these attitudes are passed on from generation to generation & are very difficult to change but those of us who wish to support & encourage must redouble our efforts in order to stop the next generation of Town fans ending up like this one & so many before ie negative.
Of course there are times when criticism may be justified but it certainly isn't after the first 45 minutes of the season when we've played well & only gone behind to a fluke of a goal.

#12 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:25 PM

View Postspireiteblue, on Aug 11 2008, 11:58 PM, said:

There is nothing wrong with Lee he ensured we got 3 points on saturday Soph,we could have conceeded in a spell in the second half he pulled off about 3 quality saves....

2 of which were real quality,outstanding saves.
A new hope.

#13 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:28 PM

View Posttoddhopper, on Aug 12 2008, 12:25 AM, said:

I was at the match & had a very good view of what happened. As the free kick was taken Lee took 2 or 3 steps off his line anticipating the ball was going to drop somewhere in the middle of the box. It was obvious from my angle that the ball was effected by the wind and travelled further than anyone could have anticipated. Whilst it is right to say Lee misjudged the flight it would be unfair to criticise him for it, which as far as I could tell noone did. It was plain throughout the game that the wind was a major factor in proceedings. In the first half we had trouble clearing our lines because of it as did Barnet in the second.
To my amazement, on my halftime visit to the gents I heard one or two angrily criticising the first half performance. It is obvious there are those who know nothing about football & will never be happy unless we win by 4 in every game. Despite the conditions being against us in the first half we were still the better team & when we got the ball down looked streets ahead of Barnet. Sadly it is true that we have an element who only want to complain & run the manager & team down, so it is up to the rest of us to drown them out & present a positive & supportive face.
I may be wrong but it appears to me that different sets of fans do have distinct characters & unfortunately as a body of supporters we are quick to turn on our own team. I think these attitudes are passed on from generation to generation & are very difficult to change but those of us who wish to support & encourage must redouble our efforts in order to stop the next generation of Town fans ending up like this one & so many before ie negative.
Of course there are times when criticism may be justified but it certainly isn't after the first 45 minutes of the season when we've played well & only gone behind to a fluke of a goal.

No different to any other fans.

Blunts on radio deeh dah?

West ham most saturdays?

Chelsea fans after the special one was sacked?

Thats just how football is. If we go on a run of wins, those same fans will be just as vocal, but behind the team and singing `rico barmy army` etc.
A new hope.

#14 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:32 PM

View Posttoddhopper, on Aug 12 2008, 12:25 AM, said:

Spot on mate,some of our fans will negate this new keeper before he is even established,just like they did with Roche,give him a chance we wouldn't have won o saturday without him....

#15 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:35 PM

View Postspireiteblue, on Aug 12 2008, 12:32 AM, said:

Spot on mate,some of our fans will negate this new keeper before he is even established,just like they did with Roche,give him a chance we wouldn't have won o saturday without him....

Bar for his first half error, I thought he had a very good game. The saves in the second half were first rate
A new hope.

#16 User is offline   toddhopper 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:36 PM

View Postdeath, on Aug 12 2008, 12:28 AM, said:

No different to any other fans.

Blunts on radio deeh dah?

West ham most saturdays?

Chelsea fans after the special one was sacked?

Thats just how football is. If we go on a run of wins, those same fans will be just as vocal, but behind the team and singing `rico barmy army` etc.

Yes, all clubs have the negative elements but I do believe there are differences in the characteristics of bodies of supporters. Some are on the backs of their team after 20 minutes others stay with their team. Some go very quiet, some will never shut up.

#17 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:38 PM

View Posttoddhopper, on Aug 12 2008, 12:36 AM, said:

Yes, all clubs have the negative elements but I do believe there are differences in the characteristics of bodies of supporters. Some are on the backs of their team after 20 minutes others stay with their team. Some go very quiet, some will never shut up.

Given that LR wasnt wanted, and the 2 year deal wasnt announced, AND we failed to hit the play offs, there is bound to be a little bit of negativity surrounding our manager. I can, but for the club and his sake hope, he proves his doubters wrong and wins the promotion we all want.
A new hope.

#18 User is offline   marlons curtains 

• Key Player
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:44 PM

View Postdeath, on Aug 12 2008, 12:38 AM, said:

Given that LR wasnt wanted, and the 2 year deal wasnt announced, AND we failed to hit the play offs, there is bound to be a little bit of negativity surrounding our manager. I can, but for the club and his sake hope, he proves his doubters wrong and wins the promotion we all want.

cant argue with that
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:50 PM

View Postsophocles, on Aug 11 2008, 11:38 PM, said:

He made an even more embarassing blunder at Burton; not judging the lad on two games, but that's two truly horrendous errors in two matches. I will support Lee all the way, but I'm just wondering how long the Barry Roche hecklers will wait before starting on this keeper.

Soph, it was the guys character, not his ability that was his downfall at Saltergate.

How many players have given the 2 fingered salute to home fans at saltergate, and how many times did BR do it?
A new hope.

#20 User is offline   toddhopper 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:58 PM

View Postdeath, on Aug 12 2008, 12:38 AM, said:

Its true many didn't want him to become manager. There was a feeling that a fresh face was needed. It never ceases to amaze me how often fans & clubs alike fall into this trap. Continuity & stability are proven to produce more consistent success than constantly changing managers. We have a well run club now & I would like it to stay that way. Both board & management have proven themselves competent, so in my opinion we should be in no hurry to see the back of them.
Lee Richardson has been a good servant to this club & while he made mistakes last season which he owned up to himself he has so far shown himself to be very good at getting quality players to come to Saltergate. Of course we all hoped the team would gel & sustain a promotion bid but unfortunately we remained inconsistent throughout the season. Being on Richardson's back will not increase the chances of getting good performances on a more regular basis but staying with the team & manager might. So what have we got to lose by being supportive? Richardson has all the tactical knowledge required & I think the players to a very large extent like him so I see no reason to want him out.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users