Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Barnet 1 Chesterfield 3 - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Barnet 1 Chesterfield 3 Just Got In

#21 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:55 PM

View Postdannypearson, on Aug 10 2008, 12:39 PM, said:

I heard it but why call them morons? They pay their money so are entitled to voice their views.

It was 45 minutes later than most on here were stating it.

Not just what they said but the circumstances and how they conducted themselves ( see my post elsewhere ). If somebody behaves like a moron I don't doubt he is a moron - how else am I supposed to perceive him?

#22 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:03 PM

View Postspireiteblue, on Aug 10 2008, 12:05 PM, said:

What i don't like about it Merc they are stood offside we head it out it falls to them they get the advantage,that cannot be right can it,we cannot take the risk of letting it go can we,the offside law has been contoversial from when it was first introduced at least before if you was offside then you got flagged.

I thought Wards goal came from a ball played by us now i read the match report i 'm not sure i will have to see it again....

I was there and i didn't hear this to be honest....

The offside law , in whatever guise, has always, and will always be controversial..sadly I doubt there is a perfect offside law anywhere out there. Its ability to prevent a goal and to break up an attack with out actually involving contact is the reason for this..but to prevent the obvious gamesmanship of schoolboy "goalhanging", an offside rule is needed.
Also to an earlier reply from MP Spire regarding the radio Sheff` forum, I`m sorry but I don`t buy all this "we don`t understand it either" bull from those involved proffessionally in the game..the rule in its current guise , if followed, is quite easy to grasp.
You only have to watch any football show or listen to post match interviews to realise that many managers and players from the very top to the very bottom will try and use "misconception" by the officials to disguise their own short comings. Yes officials do make mistakes, very often, due to the advent of multi camera angles and video replays, they are glaring ones..but until a manager or player actually comes on air and says "I`m sorry, but the officials were right that time, and I was wrong" then I will view their criticism in a very sceptical, even cynical, maner.

Mr Mercury

Mr Mercury

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 10 August 2008 - 09:38 PM

East stand second class citizen.

#23 Guest_spireiteblue_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:08 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on Aug 10 2008, 10:03 PM, said:

The offside law , in whatever guise, as always, and will always be controversial..sadly I doubt there is a perfect offside law anywhere out there. Its abiltiy to prevent a goal and to break up an attack with out actually involving contact is the reason for this..but to prevent the obvious gamesmanship of schoolboy "goalhanging", an offside rule is needed.

Mr Mercury

I wouldn't say get rid of it all together just put it back to what it was,offside is offside,no arguments at all then unless you support Leeds and Jeff Astle scores lol...i can see still that goal even now....

#24 User is online   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:58 PM

The only negative rumblings i heard came from a small groupr at the back of us who were arguing about Tommy Lea. That was a freak goal yesterday,whereas the one at Burton was a real goalkeeping blunder. He made 3 important saves yeaterday to keep us in front. I still worry about his height.
lindave

#25 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:11 PM

The offside law , in whatever guise, has always, and will always be controversial..sadly I doubt there is a perfect offside law anywhere out there. Its ability to prevent a goal and to break up an attack with out actually involving contact is the reason for this..but to prevent the obvious gamesmanship of schoolboy "goalhanging", an offside rule is needed.Also to an earlier reply from MP Spire regarding the radio Sheff` forum, I`m sorry but I don`t buy all this "we don`t understand it either" bull from those involved proffessionally in the game..the rule in its current guise , if followed, is quite easy to grasp.
You only have to watch any football show or listen to post match interviews to realise that many managers and players from the very top to the very bottom will try and use "misconception" by the officials to disguise their own short comings. Yes officials do make mistakes, very often, due to the advent of multi camera angles and video replays, they are glaring ones..but until a manager or player actually comes on air and says "I`m sorry, but the officials were right that time, and I was wrong" then I will view their criticism in a very sceptical, even cynical, maner.

Mr Mercury

Mr Mercury

I've been arguing the point for years, the best thing to do is to simply do away with the offside rule altogether. All it does is to disrupt play an cause arguments. I cannot see what it does to help the game at all - so what if teams leave a player 'goalhanging' ? Don't we all want more goalmouth action? I think it would improve the game no end if it was aboliished, because it would stretch teams from one end of the pitch to the other, and I cannot think of one positive contribution it makes to the game.

#26 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:27 PM

The offside law , in whatever guise, has always, and will always be controversial..sadly I doubt there is a perfect offside law anywhere out there. Its ability to prevent a goal and to break up an attack with out actually involving contact is the reason for this..but to prevent the obvious gamesmanship of schoolboy "goalhanging", an offside rule is needed.
Also to an earlier reply from MP Spire regarding the radio Sheff` forum, I`m sorry but I don`t buy all this "we don`t understand it either" bull from those involved proffessionally in the game..the rule in its current guise , if followed, is quite easy to grasp.

Mr Mercury

Mr Mercury

Most fans, while watching the game just look across the line and see a player stood `off`. The old rule is still what most fans go by.
A new hope.

#27 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:31 PM

View Postdeath, on Aug 10 2008, 11:27 PM, said:

Most fans, while watching the game just look across the line and see a player stood `off`. The old rule is still what most fans go by.

The thing is when the ball is aimed there way,it makes a mockery of the rule,but then again old men with so called more brains than the average fan tinkered with it....

#28 User is offline   Doughnut 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:52 PM

I'd like to see the old rule return. One player offside equals team offside and free kick to the defending team. It would get rid of this 'was he active?' or 'when does he become active again?' controversy and make it easier for the officials.

#29 Guest_djs_*

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:57 PM

View Postlindave, on Aug 10 2008, 10:58 PM, said:

The only negative rumblings i heard came from a small groupr at the back of us who were arguing about Tommy Lea. That was a freak goal yesterday,whereas the one at Burton was a real goalkeeping blunder. He made 3 important saves yeaterday to keep us in front. I still worry about his height.

I can see one or two strikes going for the top corners of our goal

#30 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:17 PM

View Postdjs, on Aug 10 2008, 11:57 PM, said:

I can see one or two strikes going for the top corners of our goal

Whereas they never bothered beforehand.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#31 User is offline   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:33 PM

View PostDoughnut, on Aug 10 2008, 11:52 PM, said:

I'd like to see the old rule return. One player offside equals team offside and free kick to the defending team. It would get rid of this 'was he active?' or 'when does he become active again?' controversy and make it easier for the officials.

I would hate to take a corner where the oppostion don't man the posts and my CB heads home only for my position to cancel the "goal".
Peter Whiteley

#32 User is offline   Frank Thacker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:57 PM

View Postsophocles, on Aug 10 2008, 11:11 PM, said:

I've been arguing the point for years, the best thing to do is to simply do away with the offside rule altogether. All it does is to disrupt play an cause arguments. I cannot see what it does to help the game at all - so what if teams leave a player 'goalhanging' ? Don't we all want more goalmouth action? I think it would improve the game no end if it was aboliished, because it would stretch teams from one end of the pitch to the other, and I cannot think of one positive contribution it makes to the game.

After the offside rule was first brought in it was still possible to handle (but not catch) the ball, hack lumps out of your opponents and play with fourteen men. That it is one of the oldest rules associated with the game indicates to me that the game must have been gash without it. I can't see that it'd stretch play - I can see teams sticking six defenders in their six yard box and four forwards in their opponents' box, with the ball being punted long from one goalmouth to the other. There's no offside in basketball, as far as I'm aware, and what a numbingly repetitive game that is.

I like the rule as it stands. I think I understand it and can read most situations. I too don't buy this guff about not understanding it from people within the game; its just convenient to say that, rather than accept that a decision might have been right, under the current laws. I do not want to go back to the days when technically limited but well-drilled defenders could absolutely strangle a game by taking two paces forward and sticking their hands in the air. It seems to me that there's far less of that about than there was 20 years ago, and that has to be a good thing.
Posted Image

#33 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:35 AM

View PostSaltergate Stu, on Aug 11 2008, 12:57 AM, said:

After the offside rule was first brought in it was still possible to handle (but not catch) the ball, hack lumps out of your opponents and play with fourteen men. That it is one of the oldest rules associated with the game indicates to me that the game must have been gash without it. I can't see that it'd stretch play - I can see teams sticking six defenders in their six yard box and four forwards in their opponents' box, with the ball being punted long from one goalmouth to the other. There's no offside in basketball, as far as I'm aware, and what a numbingly repetitive game that is.

I like the rule as it stands. I think I understand it and can read most situations. I too don't buy this guff about not understanding it from people within the game; its just convenient to say that, rather than accept that a decision might have been right, under the current laws. I do not want to go back to the days when technically limited but well-drilled defenders could absolutely strangle a game by taking two paces forward and sticking their hands in the air. It seems to me that there's far less of that about than there was 20 years ago, and that has to be a good thing.

What was wrong with the Arsenal `Synchronised arm raising` team?
A new hope.

#34 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:37 AM

View Postdalekpete, on Aug 11 2008, 12:33 AM, said:

I would hate to take a corner where the oppostion don't man the posts and my CB heads home only for my position to cancel the "goal".

You cannot be offside from a corner or throw in,has that always been the case ?...

#35 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:40 AM

View Postspireiteblue, on Aug 11 2008, 10:37 AM, said:

You cannot be offside from a corner or throw in,has that always been the case ?...

For years it has been for throw ins, even 20 years ago when I first started playing
A new hope.

#36 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:50 AM

View Postdeath, on Aug 11 2008, 10:40 AM, said:

For years it has been for throw ins, even 20 years ago when I first started playing

I need an old set of rules anybody got a set in there back pocket :lol:

#37 User is offline   Bugerov 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 09:54 AM

View PostSaltergate Stu, on Aug 11 2008, 12:57 AM, said:

I used to favour the old proposal to draw a line across the width of the field level with the edge of the penalty area, and you cannot be offside until you are past that 18 yard line. This stops defenders from pushing higher up the field and playing the offside trap.
Bring Sakashvili to justice

#38 User is offline   DMU Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:56 AM

the only problem with offside is the sports pundits who either dont understand it or andy greys favorite -
saying something was offside when it wasnt just to save face for being wrong.

offside is fine. the law is fair. linesmen make mistakes. but so would everyone, especially when we can check the offside on 50 camera's per game.

if it was ''if your in an offside position your offside'' then it would be silly. as a player could be on the far touchline injured and a player pass the ball to the other side of the pitch and he'd be called offside. i fail to see the uproar about the ruling of if your interfering irectly with play or not. you either are or arnt. if you are and your offside., then your offside. mistakes happen. thats football.

as for the game, super result. Ward will get 15 plus as will jack. Im confident. I look forward to getting to my first game. i missed all pre-season :lol:
Up the Blues

#39 User is offline   Aspire_webby 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:16 AM

View PostDMU Blue, on Aug 11 2008, 11:56 AM, said:

the only problem with offside is the sports pundits who either dont understand it or andy greys favorite -
saying something was offside when it wasnt just to save face for being wrong.

offside is fine. the law is fair. linesmen make mistakes. but so would everyone, especially when we can check the offside on 50 camera's per game.

if it was ''if your in an offside position your offside'' then it would be silly. as a player could be on the far touchline injured and a player pass the ball to the other side of the pitch and he'd be called offside. i fail to see the uproar about the ruling of if your interfering irectly with play or not. you either are or arnt. if you are and your offside., then your offside. mistakes happen. thats football.

as for the game, super result. Ward will get 15 plus as will jack. Im confident. I look forward to getting to my first game. i missed all pre-season :lol:

When a linesman as to be aware of when a ball is kicked and at the same time be watching an imaginary line which is moving all the time as forwards move in one direction and defenders are moving forards, backwards or standing still then its amazing they get any right at all

#40 User is offline   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:28 AM

View Postspireiteblue, on Aug 11 2008, 10:37 AM, said:

Yes but when the CB heads it in I am in front of the ball and, with no defenders on the post, have only one man, the keeper, between me and the goal. With an absolute rule I am off-side.
Peter Whiteley

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users