• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Higgins

#1 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 15 July 2016 - 05:46 PM

So, to clarity, for the benefit of those not reading the pre season trip thread.

It appears plausible that the club have been selling raffle tickets with a non existent prize and then invented a winner?

That would be impossible to pull off in today's world of social media wouldn't it.

Nah, they wouldn't do that because that's despicable, Carson will come back and clarity everything because this will end up in the national media
JRID

#2 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:00 PM

Can we get some more charity pledges to be made when CFC provide photographic evidence of the genuine winner?

#3 User is offline   Stoptalkingbol 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:20 PM

#prayforhiggins

#4 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:24 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 15 July 2016 - 06:00 PM, said:

Can we get some more charity pledges to be made when CFC provide photographic evidence of the genuine winner?

£10
JRID

#5 User is offline   Forever a Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:28 PM

Wot about a Kop chant first home game

There's only one James Higgins only one James Higgins .........
#notapennymore

#6 User is offline   Cactoise 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:33 PM

Higgins perished in a hurricane

#7 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:36 PM

I wonder if this illness kills him off, seriously what would the national media make of this

This post has been edited by Search and Destroy: 15 July 2016 - 06:37 PM

JRID

#8 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:39 PM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 15 July 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

£10

£120 in. Come on. It's a double good cause. CFC exonerated & Ernie's charity.

#9 User is online   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:43 PM

Here's my interpretation.

Someone at the Club, perhaps Kevin Fitzgerald, came up with the idea of a raffle to win the prize of joining the CFC party on the otherwise fan free visit to Budapest, probably thinking it'd raise more money than it'd cost.

However after selling only a tiny handful of tickets, rumoured to be as few as two or three, the idea was quietly dropped.

Fortunately 'Bob's Board' members have good memories - or perhaps they've become overly suspicious of anything that happens on Sheffield Road - and questioned why any reference to this raffle had seemingly been withdrawn from the official website and other social media platforms.

Subsequently a story claiming James Higgins had been the lucky winner was peddled.

Problem was no one had ever heard of any James Higgins, appeals in the media for him to come forward were ignored and no hint of the usual kinda publicity surrounding such announcements ever appeared.

All very, very strange.

Either way the players and accompanying staff left for Hungary and played their behind-closed-doors game. Though maybe those doors weren't as closed as they should've been, as a lifelong and well respected Spireite, someone more than capable of putting names to faces - or vice-versa - watched the whole affair accompanied by his phone. With which he took a plethora of pictures and passed on reports, none of which included any mention of other Town fans alongside the official party.

Suddenly, and in total contrast to the dearth of information beforehand, we were told 'poor old James' had supposedly fallen ill on the eve of his trip, the trip neither he nor anyone at the Club had in any way publicised, in an attempt to explain his absence in Budapest. How unfortunate. How convenient. Oh, and just to make things right he and his unnamed partner, who'd also been denied a junket at the eleventh hour, would be invited to a forthcoming game with all the frills.

Meanwhile anyone requesting a refund for their ticket would be accomodated (why? If there'd been a legitimate contest and winner why pander to those who'd played yet lost?).

Now if evidence proves Surrey based Spireite James Higgins really exists, and the Club's version of events is accurate, I'm more than happy to retract and apologise for everything posted here and donate a hundred quid to Ernie's charity.

So come on Chesterfield FC - or to be precise those responsible for this episode - please make another ton for a true Chesterfield legend.

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 15 July 2016 - 06:53 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#10 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:53 PM

Bravo Chris. I'd have written the same but I'm walking to the pub!

#11 User is offline   Heavy_Soul 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:56 PM

Surely part of the terms and conditions that were on the entry forms only available at the club shop required the winner to be involved in publicity shots.
Every need got an ego to feed

#12 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:01 PM

I presume polonium 210 was used to stop higgins spilling the beans.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#13 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:11 PM

IMO the Hungary trip was a big missed opportunity for CFC to win fans over.
An organised trip could have been promoted 2-3 months ago with fans flying out after the players, an open training session and meet the players like Oxford did, fans get to see the pre season game and the fans fly back the next day leaving the players to get on with training. I am sure the majority of fans would have had no issue with a sensible profit mark up by the club.
This would have made more money than the raffle, no risk to the club and won many fans over. I have spoken to many fans who would have loved this type of trip.

I am annoyed with what is going on at the club I support and especially with all that is going on at the club and across the road that CT has the cheek to go on a jolly to Hungary and try and not get noticed, you have to ask why.

Well done to Moondog for attending the game.
Have passport will travel

#14 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:13 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 15 July 2016 - 06:43 PM, said:

Here's my interpretation.

Someone at the Club, perhaps Kevin Fitzgerald, came up with the idea of a raffle to win the prize of joining the CFC party on the otherwise fan free visit to Budapest, probably thinking it'd raise more money than it'd cost.

However after selling only a tiny handful of tickets, rumoured to be as few as two or three, the idea was quietly dropped.

Fortunately 'Bob's Board' members have good memories - or perhaps they've become overly suspicious of anything that happens on Sheffield Road - and questioned why any reference to this raffle had seemingly been withdrawn from the official website and other social media platforms.

Subsequently a story claiming James Higgins had been the lucky winner was peddled.

Problem was no one had ever heard of any James Higgins, appeals in the media for him to come forward were ignored and no hint of the usual kinda publicity surrounding such announcements ever appeared.

All very, very strange.

Either way the players and accompanying staff left for Hungary and played their behind-closed-doors game. Though maybe those doors weren't as closed as they should've been, as a lifelong and well respected Spireite, someone more than capable of putting names to faces - or vice-versa - watched the whole affair accompanied by his phone. With which he took a plethora of pictures and passed on reports, none of which included any mention of other Town fans alongside the official party.

Suddenly, and in total contrast to the dearth of information beforehand, we were told 'poor old James' had supposedly fallen ill on the eve of his trip, the trip neither he nor anyone at the Club had in any way publicised, in an attempt to explain his absence in Budapest. How unfortunate. How convenient. Oh, and just to make things right he and his unnamed partner, who'd also been denied a junket at the eleventh hour, would be invited to a forthcoming game with all the frills.

Meanwhile anyone requesting a refund for their ticket would be accomodated (why? If there'd been a legitimate contest and winner why pander to those who'd played yet lost?).

Now if evidence proves Surrey based Spireite James Higgins really exists, and the Club's version of events is accurate, I'm more than happy to retract and apologise for everything posted here and donate a hundred quid to Ernie's charity.

So come on Chesterfield FC - or to be precise those responsible for this episode - please make another ton for a true Chesterfield legend.

By all accounts, the take up for the raffle was p-poor and interest in the £1,700 a head to holiday with the boys and dine with the CEO was non existent. It would take a strong individual who is confident in their own position and ability to admit they got it wrong. On the other hand, a fool might decide to take an alternative route.

#15 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

The club would have made a group booking with Wizz Air this required names to be confirmed 72 hours before the flight, there is no provision to allow no show passengers on another flight, they have to buy a new ticket.

So the club are saying they would have paid again for Higgins to fly out later for the match and then when he couldn't make it offered him a free hospitality package, despite the loss to the club his non show had caused, what sort of commercial manager do we actually have who initiated all this.

Higgins is one hell of a well thought of fan, yet his response to this tremendous gesture by the club, surely knowing that it has raised suspicions of fraud is to refuse any publicity, thus giving credence to the allegations, what an ungrateful git

#16 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:57 PM

View PostBenno Spire, on 15 July 2016 - 07:11 PM, said:

IMO the Hungary trip was a big missed opportunity for CFC to win fans over.
An organised trip could have been promoted 2-3 months ago with fans flying out after the players, an open training session and meet the players like Oxford did, fans get to see the pre season game and the fans fly back the next day leaving the players to get on with training. I am sure the majority of fans would have had no issue with a sensible profit mark up by the club.
This would have made more money than the raffle, no risk to the club and won many fans over. I have spoken to many fans who would have loved this type of trip.

I am annoyed with what is going on at the club I support and especially with all that is going on at the club and across the road that CT has the cheek to go on a jolly to Hungary and try and not get noticed, you have to ask why.

Well done to Moondog for attending the game.

Thanks, and yes your spot on for the last 2 years Ross County have played friendlies at Telki freely allowing fans to attend independently. 15 went this year for their two games.

The stand at Telki could easily have accommodated the numbers that would have gone (actual fans behind the flags) and we all would have chipped in to cover any stewarding cost not that any would be needed, who in their right mind would seek to spoil something so unique.

Even more annoying is we were supposed to be having a prestigious pre season friendly to mark the 150th anniversary instead we just about get the worse set of fixtures we've ever had.

#17 User is offline   The Black Triangle 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:44 PM

According to 192.com there are 14 people named James Higgins in Surrey. It wouldn't take much for the DT to find our elusive raffle winner, and get a short phone interview.

#18 User is offline   SALTERGATE 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:47 PM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 15 July 2016 - 05:46 PM, said:

So, to clarity, for the benefit of those not reading the pre season trip thread.

It appears plausible that the club have been selling raffle tickets with a non existent prize and then invented a winner?

That would be impossible to pull off in today's world of social media wouldn't it.

Nah, they wouldn't do that because that's despicable, Carson will come back and clarity everything because this will end up in the national media

Would that be considered illegal?

#19 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 15 July 2016 - 10:55 PM

I'll throw an extra £20 into the pot if clarification is proven.
I no longer shake my head in disbelief at what certain people at the club appear to do anymore.
The AGM is going to be very very interesting.
East stand second class citizen.

#20 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:54 AM

View PostMr Mercury, on 15 July 2016 - 10:55 PM, said:

I'll throw an extra £20 into the pot if clarification is proven.
I no longer shake my head in disbelief at what certain people at the club appear to do anymore.
The AGM is going to be very very interesting.

Perhaps rather than trying to raise funds by organising poxy raffles there would be more benefit from auctioning seats to attend the AGM
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

Share this topic:

• (33 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users