• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Theory

#1 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:28 PM

With the obvious cost cutting required, the amount of players out of contract and an (let's be honest) young up and coming manager- try this on for size:

Next season, I think GC will be instructed to build a team on the budget of the likes of Accrington/Barnet/Morecambe - having to find a cheaper version of the player he actually wants. Think along the lines of finding a poor man's Ronaldo (haha).
Accrington looked the business when spanking us at home in the Checkerpaintcola Tin Pot Carling Can Trophy.

Now, even if some of the crowd drop off next season, we still more or less double the crowds at say Accrington for example - roughly double the amount of money than say Accrington coming in through the turn styles as such. Which, in my eyes sees half (or whatever/how generous DA will be with the budget working out at) the income on the budget and the rest on debt management/repayment.
So, with a clean sweep of playing staff and starting from scratch, GC will hopefully build a cheap but competitive squad of
players with a mix of youth, experience and use and few we have already- German, Beesley,Rowley, MaGuire- who play his way and style and be top half table and hope to push for play offs. Anything else would be a bonus.
This on paper to any proposed buyers will look like a cheap playing squad, money spare from income to service debts thus (after debts serviced) can be a profitable business model- plus the conf and banq, the ground being new, match day concourse sales, club shop.

Just a theory of how things could positively pan out next season
:-)

#2 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

View Postdanblue, on 19 March 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

With the obvious cost cutting required, the amount of players out of contract and an (let's be honest) young up and coming manager- try this on for size:

Next season, I think GC will be instructed to build a team on the budget of the likes of Accrington/Barnet/Morecambe - having to find a cheaper version of the player he actually wants. Think along the lines of finding a poor man's Ronaldo (haha).
Accrington looked the business when spanking us at home in the Checkerpaintcola Tin Pot Carling Can Trophy.

Now, even if some of the crowd drop off next season, we still more or less double the crowds at say Accrington for example - roughly double the amount of money than say Accrington coming in through the turn styles as such. Which, in my eyes sees half (or whatever/how generous DA will be with the budget working out at) the income on the budget and the rest on debt management/repayment.
So, with a clean sweep of playing staff and starting from scratch, GC will hopefully build a cheap but competitive squad of
players with a mix of youth, experience and use and few we have already- German, Beesley,Rowley, MaGuire- who play his way and style and be top half table and hope to push for play offs. Anything else would be a bonus.
This on paper to any proposed buyers will look like a cheap playing squad, money spare from income to service debts thus (after debts serviced) can be a profitable business model- plus the conf and banq, the ground being new, match day concourse sales, club shop.

Fair enough - I think we'll be triple + what Accy get, and Barnet and Morecombe.

#3 User is offline   Trophy5 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

I suppose it all depends on how much you'll be paying Big Dave to play at his stadium.

#4 User is offline   Bluekent 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

View PostTrophy5, on 19 March 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

I suppose it all depends on how much you'll be paying Big Dave to play at his stadium.

Probably about same that radford pays haslam to play in yours.

#5 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:46 PM

Nice thought but dream land I think. Gonna need a decent number of (and quality) coaches and scouts to have any success. They would need to bring the best out of what we get. Oh and hope GC is a good negotiator.
Here we go again!

#6 User is offline   tomjoad 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bruce Springsteen Southside Counting Crows Abbot ale and LMS no 8s!

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

Why are so many threads hijacked by Stags trolls?

#7 User is offline   BigBlue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2017 - 08:56 PM

Your assuming GC can actually work with no budget, His Wigan sacking points to the fact he needs funds to compete, plus he's shown Sod all to say that he knows what he's doing In the games he's had so far this season. Get ready for a long stay in the basement unless we get new owners and Allen and Carson and others gone.

#8 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:25 PM

View PostBigBlue, on 19 March 2017 - 08:56 PM, said:

Your assuming GC can actually work with no budget, His Wigan sacking points to the fact he needs funds to compete, plus he's shown Sod all to say that he knows what he's doing In the games he's had so far this season. Get ready for a long stay in the basement unless we get new owners and Allen and Carson and others gone.

Caldwell worries me with any budget, i'd like to see some real positives in the remaining games to sway my opinion, but so far i'm struggling. credit the OP for such optimism.

#9 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

View PostBigBlue, on 19 March 2017 - 08:56 PM, said:

And we not bringing in a chief scout? I assume GC will work in tandem with this new appointment.

GC: " I need a player to do x,y and z"
CHEIF SCOUT: " I'll find you 3,4 possibly 5 options"
GC: Nice one

GC: Ash, the scouts have found me Player X, Y and Z. Which one can we afford
AC: Player Y, Gazza
GC: Sweet

#10 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 19 March 2017 - 10:01 PM

View Postdanblue, on 19 March 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

If we only have double the money coming in that Accrington do things will be worse than I feared.

#11 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:59 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 19 March 2017 - 10:01 PM, said:

If we only have double the money coming in that Accrington do things will be worse than I feared.

It's only a off the cuff comment WB. Reality is it will prob be 4 times as much as Accy

#12 User is offline   BozaSpireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:50 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 19 March 2017 - 10:01 PM, said:

It's not the money in what's the problem , it's the money out

#13 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:58 AM

View PostBozaSpireite, on 20 March 2017 - 09:50 AM, said:

It's not the money in what's the problem , it's the money out

And that's why I think (playing budget wise) we will build a cheap but hard working team like Accy.
The important thing will be getting the right players with the correct mind set, not over the hill and with a certain amount if footballing skill (obvs).
What I'm saying is not signing Chris Herd/Boa Morte/Reece Brown type of player.
We will need a mix of youth and experience, but on the right money and the right player.

#14 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:39 AM

View Postdanblue, on 20 March 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

And that's why I think (playing budget wise) we will build a cheap but hard working team like Accy.
The important thing will be getting the right players with the correct mind set, not over the hill and with a certain amount if footballing skill (obvs).
What I'm saying is not signing Chris Herd/Boa Morte/Reece Brown type of player.
We will need a mix of youth and experience, but on the right money and the right player.

simple as! :rolleyes:

#15 User is offline   Yenx 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Quest for Logical and Sensible Debate

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

Another theory:-

DA: "Ok Gary, one of our most successful seasons was winning League 2 under John Sheridan. I want to witness this again. I want you to act like a completely inept manager and do whatever you can to get the team relegated as soon as possible. Next year, I want you to cast that pretense aside and start to do what you do best, and surprise everyone by dominating every team we play against. The fans will return in droves and the feel-good factor will be amazing after having watched your absolute dross for the end of this season."

GC: "Righto boss. I know! I'll play 3 at the back with everyone playing out of their favoured positions. I'll call the fans for being negative whilst ironically playing the most negative football the world has ever seen."

DA: "Brilliant, I knew you were the right man for the job. Oh, one more thing.... make sure you tell the press you thought we played well after we have been hammered. Your phoenix-rising-from-the-ashes next season will capture everyone's hearts and minds."
It's not the despair. I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users