Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Interest In Morsy - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interest In Morsy

#101 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

View Postdim view, on 17 October 2014 - 01:17 PM, said:

So who would you put in Sami's place if he were injured tomorrow?.

Banks probably, with Humphreys as an outside bet.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#102 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:50 PM

I would put banks probably as we are at home I don't see him there longterm and that's what we would need to look at if he was to go, interesting if boco could play there as cover only.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#103 User is offline   Stockholm Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Formerly Dubai Spireite. I used to live there, but I've moved on to Stockholm

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:20 PM

Good question, but we have no like-for-like replacement, so answer from Banks, Johnson, Hird when fit will fill the team sheet. The problem comes when we ask someone to play in the same way who can't. There's no Morsy mkII as the next cab off the rank. So we either go square pegs in round holes whilst we look outside for a replacement or the system becomes more flexible to accommodate the personnel.

It's the opposite of that Moneyball scene, where they're discussing replacing a marquee name with another, when in face the GM wants a few players to give the same stats over the season - we need another Sammy! If there's one available, it might sweeten the possibility of a deal, who knows?

My question: Does/would Sammy really want to play for Slade?

#104 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 17 October 2014 - 03:41 PM

View PostStockholm Spireite, on 17 October 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

Good question, but we have no like-for-like replacement, so answer from Banks, Johnson, Hird when fit will fill the team sheet. The problem comes when we ask someone to play in the same way who can't. There's no Morsy mkII as the next cab off the rank. So we either go square pegs in round holes whilst we look outside for a replacement or the system becomes more flexible to accommodate the personnel.

It's the opposite of that Moneyball scene, where they're discussing replacing a marquee name with another, when in face the GM wants a few players to give the same stats over the season - we need another Sammy! If there's one available, it might sweeten the possibility of a deal, who knows?

My question: Does/would Sammy really want to play for Slade?

well, as it's all just for fun, we'll leave it at that. I happen to disagree though as I can't name any realistic replacement who would be better than Ollie. The triangle of Jimmy and Ollie behind Dan Gardner would make my mouth water.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#105 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

View Postdim view, on 17 October 2014 - 03:41 PM, said:

well, as it's all just for fun, we'll leave it at that. I happen to disagree though as I can't name any realistic replacement who would be better than Ollie. The triangle of Jimmy and Ollie behind Dan Gardner would make my mouth water.

Do you know what makes my mouth water?

Opal fruits

#106 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 17 October 2014 - 04:12 PM

Johnson. 100%.

#107 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:41 PM

View Postbonnyman, on 17 October 2014 - 04:08 PM, said:

Opal fruits

Starburst surely?
East stand second class citizen.

#108 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:24 PM

What of the lad we signed from Brentford? Onovwigun? Has anyone seen him play reserves etc, and how is he?
A new hope.

#109 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 17 October 2014 - 08:24 PM, said:

What of the lad we signed from Brentford? Onovwigun? Has anyone seen him play reserves etc, and how is he?

Coming back from illness apparently. Or is that the other lad?

This post has been edited by Westbars Spireite: 17 October 2014 - 08:34 PM

#110 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:43 PM

A HOOKER

Opal fruits

#111 Guest_djs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:17 PM

Lets be realistic here fellas the quality players we have are all open for bids, it's down to how cookie deals with the enevitable situation that Morsy, Doyle, Darikwa will leave if big money comes on the table. I would say that one or two others could be on that list as well. Cook has a knack of unearthing quality players from out of the blue, and I would say he will undoubtedly have plans if a bid came in for any of our high profile players. Gardener, Banks, Talbot and Hird plus, I dare say, a few others wait in the wings to take things on. When our star players price tag is reached. I fear Morsy or Doyle will move on in the window and the club will have to deal with it. No one player is bigger than the club and is unexpendable, Morsy would leave a big hole but it is not unfillable! Don't fear, there would be something in place very quickly in both positions. Cookie is very good at his job and will fill any gap that would be left!

#112 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:42 PM

View PostDMU Blue, on 16 October 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

I may not be popular for saying it but I'd bite someone's hand off for a million for Doyle.

Thank god the decision doesn't rest with you then!

#113 User is offline   Walton Spireite 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2014 - 08:13 AM

View Postdjs, on 17 October 2014 - 09:17 PM, said:

Lets be realistic here fellas the quality players we have are all open for bids, it's down to how cookie deals with the enevitable situation that Morsy, Doyle, Darikwa will leave if big money comes on the table. I would say that one or two others could be on that list as well. Cook has a knack of unearthing quality players from out of the blue, and I would say he will undoubtedly have plans if a bid came in for any of our high profile players. Gardener, Banks, Talbot and Hird plus, I dare say, a few others wait in the wings to take things on. When our star players price tag is reached. I fear Morsy or Doyle will move on in the window and the club will have to deal with it. No one player is bigger than the club and is unexpendable, Morsy would leave a big hole but it is not unfillable! Don't fear, there would be something in place very quickly in both positions. Cookie is very good at his job and will fill any gap that would be left!

Morsy would be a big loss but as a previous poster said its goal scoring midfielders that drive up the price. I suspect a fee of around 1.25m would be accepted. We all want more but we never get as much as we all expect. Doyle on the hand is the leading goal scorer in all the divisions and that should demand a Large fee. If he keeps scoring at the current rate then we want big money. Start the bidding at £2m.

#114 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 18 October 2014 - 09:07 AM

View PostWalton Spireite, on 18 October 2014 - 08:13 AM, said:

Morsy would be a big loss but as a previous poster said its goal scoring midfielders that drive up the price. I suspect a fee of around 1.25m would be accepted. We all want more but we never get as much as we all expect. Doyle on the hand is the leading goal scorer in all the divisions and that should demand a Large fee. If he keeps scoring at the current rate then we want big money. Start the bidding at £2m.

I don't think you're too far off the mark re Morsey and Doyle, the fact they're both under contract for another season and the fact that the Jan window is a top price inflated cattle market I'd even push Morsey towards £1.5m. And as you say a goal scorer will always cost top dollar.
You there today mate?

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 18 October 2014 - 09:08 AM

#115 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:13 AM

Do you know what makes my mouth water
Opal Fruits.

That's because they are made to make your mouth water, fresh with tang of citrus, four refreshing fruit flavours, orange, lime, strawberry and er.....lemon (?)

Opal fruits

#116 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:18 AM

View PostMr Mercury, on 18 October 2014 - 09:07 AM, said:

I don't think you're too far off the mark re Morsey and Doyle, the fact they're both under contract for another season and the fact that the Jan window is a top price inflated cattle market I'd even push Morsey towards £1.5m. And as you say a goal scorer will always cost top dollar.
You there today mate?

Sorry Merc I don't agree. I've always been a fan of Doyle's when most wanted him shot, though saw instantly what a fantastic prospect and signing Morsy was in his first pre-season game when again most were raving over Ryan (not that Ryan's not a good player or anything); though we are comparing apples and pears here with Doyle and Morsy. It's Doyle's job to get the goals not Sammy's. What they both bring to the party for us is massive, though Sammy could easily just slot in most sides in the country and do a good to top job consistency; Doyle on the other hand could well struggle to find anything like the goals and form he's in now as he simply wouldn't get the service and would be bossed out of games in the league above; this for me won't be overlooked now with watching scouts or if and when the bids come in for either player.
Anything less than 2.5 - 3 million for Morsy and somebody seriously wants hanging in my book! Doyle as fantastic a player for us though I'd be more than happy with a million pounds for him, if we can get a lot more then why not?? Though most on here seem to think we won't get more than 1.5m for Sammy and I will be as shocked if we didn't get more, than those fans who say we won't would if we did get more!
The only way in my eyes that we won't get more is if his contract runs down or Sammy has a bad injury or he gets a bit of inconsistency to his game (not happened yet in well over a season with us) OR if we are old school Chesterfield that simply caves in on haggling with bigger clubs (though after the way they handled the sale of Liam Copper I have faith in them to do a great deal for our club when the time comes).

If Sammy is still here in the summer and no serious offers have come in for him we really need to tie him down to another deal with the promise of letting him talk to other interested clubs, with an understanding he won't be sold on the cheap, though maybe a carrot of a very small percentage of the transfer free as an incentive to sign a new improved deal and not walk for free the following summer (this in itself could be worth a hell of a lot of money to him and us).

Regarding Johnson... IF we are going to keep turning over players for huge fees we really need to do all we can to land this one! (okay I do realise it may not be possible, but you have to try every avenue before admitting defeat). Any fee outlaid soon would easily be recouped in incoming transfer fees and that’s even before we look to sell Johnson on in the near future! And in the mean time they help us push on and but bums on seats (paying punters). These TWO players are like gold to us (Johnson and Morsy) and worth the investment (you can't lose investing in Au). We have got a lot of cracking players at our club, but only two that can be valued as serious money in my opinion and one of these is not even our player... YET! (I can dream, haha).
#notapennymore

#117 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:33 AM

Great post, agree with all of that

Both Doyle & Morsey are under contract until June 2016
http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/27885758 http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/28805259

If anyone came sniffing for these two, i'm sure we would asking for top dollar:
Morsey (22 years old) clearly one of the best midfielders in League 1 & not even in his twilight....£2m surely?
Doyle (26 years old) stepped into another dimension from being a good forward in League 2 to a revelation in League 1....£1m+??

The impressive thing about our squad is that not one player has looked out of place in league 1.........compare that to the Sheridan era in League 1...90% of the squad were out of it's depth!

#118 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 18 October 2014 - 11:40 AM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 18 October 2014 - 11:33 AM, said:

Great post, agree with all of that

Both Doyle & Morsey are under contract until June 2016
http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/27885758 http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/28805259

If anyone came sniffing for these two, i'm sure we would asking for top dollar:
Morsey (22 years old) clearly one of the best midfielders in League 1 & not even in his twilight....£2m surely?
Doyle (26 years old) stepped into another dimension from being a good forward in League 2 to a revelation in League 1....£1m+??

The impressive thing about our squad is that not one player has looked out of place in league 1.........compare that to the Sheridan era in League 1...90% of the squad were out of it's depth!

Thanks, lol

I'm with you with your valuations and assessments. I don't want to sound like a know it all (as I'm really not), but I do remember getting slated on here before we'd finished the season as Champions under Sheridan when many were talking about playoffs the following season and I said the squad as it stood would be very lucky not to come straight back down and that was including Davies. Our midfield was none existent... You can't say that now under Cook, lol
#notapennymore

#119 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 18 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

But not as much as the thought of the Messiah super drew getting back to fitness.....In reply to fears ghosts post.

This post has been edited by bonnyman: 18 October 2014 - 12:57 PM

#120 User is offline   LuSiVe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:46 PM

View PostLuSiVe, on 16 October 2014 - 02:21 PM, said:

100% would sell Doyle every time over Morsy, and for a lot less too.

The constant scoring has got to stop soon, as has the multitude of penalties we've been getting.
Plus I think it's partly Doyle and partly the midfield being better providers.

And for that reason also worried about Johnson going back to Villa ....

View PostNorton Blue, on 16 October 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

Sorry i dont get that. Why should it stop? You make it sound like we have been lucky. In my eyes it will continue if we continue to play like we do, and see no apparent reason why it has to stop all of a sudden

View PostLuSiVe, on 16 October 2014 - 09:45 PM, said:

Let's bookmark this and come back to it later then ;)

Is it stopping yet? ;)

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users