Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: General Health & Fitness Thread - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

General Health & Fitness Thread Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

Second day of keto. Nowt happening as of yet, reckon it'll be another day or two before I enter it.

Breakfast: 3x Sausages & 1x Protein Shake w/ full fat milk
Lunch: Chilli without any beans
Dinner: Gonna make burgers (without the buns obv) w/ bacon, cheese, rocket, couple of tomatoes maybe.... mmmmm

eatin like a king out here :sunglasses

#22 User is offline   rs1978 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

View PostGoku, on 21 August 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

Second day of keto. Nowt happening as of yet, reckon it'll be another day or two before I enter it.

Breakfast: 3x Sausages & 1x Protein Shake w/ full fat milk
Lunch: Chilli without any beans
Dinner: Gonna make burgers (without the buns obv) w/ bacon, cheese, rocket, couple of tomatoes maybe.... mmmmm

eatin like a king out here :sunglasses

I am interested in how you get on with this. My main problem would be the amount of ‘faffing’ involved. With a Wife and two kids to feed as well I think it would just end up as too much hassle making separate things? I would be tempted to give it a try if there was only me to consider.

That said, the prospect of shifting a good lump of weight quickly is definitely appealing.

I've taken up running in the last few months and feel much fitter for it. The only problem being I haven’t lost any weight to speak of. I know that muscle is heavier than fat and that is the problem when looking at the scales – therefore, best to consider inches lost rather than lbs – I’ve definitely developed a better shape since starting running (still pretty horrendous though).

I started running with the NHS ‘Couch to 5k’ podcast and it does work. I would struggle to run to the end of the road 6 months ago but I am now in a position where I have run two half marathon distances (13.1 miles). Not actual races/events, but the distances measured accurately on a GPS watch. Standard distance for me is anywhere between 5k (3.1 miles) and 10k (6.2 miles, obviously) depending largely on how much time I’ve got to spare. Occasionally, up it to 12k or 15k at the weekend when I’ve got a bit more time. Then I will probably keep my hand in with the occasional half marathon distance every month or two now I know I’ve got it in my locker (just about).

Anyone reluctant or wary of exercising should definitely consider the ‘Couch to 5k’ programme. It starts off very gently. If I remember rightly, the first week only asks you to run intervals of 60 seconds with a walk in between – by week 9 you build up to running for half an hour which sounds like a massive leap but done gradually most people can achieve it.

#23 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

Like I said mate I've done it before and lost 2.5 stone in 2 months so it definitely works. However if you go straight back into a carb heavy diet afterwards then you'll put a lot of it back on, need to ease back into it before making your diet low fat to keep your shape.

It is a bit of a faff, I have to get up a fair bit earlier in the morning to make/prepare food as opposed to what I was doing before (cereal or toast or whatever). Results are worth the time sacrifice though in my opinion.

--

The thing with running (or more specifically jogging) is that it doesn't burn *that* many calories. What you want to try is HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) - a Google search will tell you all you need to know about this but a brief example of HIIT would be sprinting full out as fast and as hard as you can for 30 seconds then walking or jogging 1 minute before sprinting for another 30 seconds... rinse & repeat. That is the best fat-burning cardio you can do to my knowledge and that's what I did whilst I was in ketosis the first time and, well, without trying to sound like a cheesy advertisement, the results spoke for themselves.

#24 User is offline   rs1978 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostGoku, on 21 August 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

Like I said mate I've done it before and lost 2.5 stone in 2 months so it definitely works. However if you go straight back into a carb heavy diet afterwards then you'll put a lot of it back on, need to ease back into it before making your diet low fat to keep your shape.

It is a bit of a faff, I have to get up a fair bit earlier in the morning to make/prepare food as opposed to what I was doing before (cereal or toast or whatever). Results are worth the time sacrifice though in my opinion.

--

The thing with running (or more specifically jogging) is that it doesn't burn *that* many calories. What you want to try is HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) - a Google search will tell you all you need to know about this but a brief example of HIIT would be sprinting full out as fast and as hard as you can for 30 seconds then walking or jogging 1 minute before sprinting for another 30 seconds... rinse & repeat. That is the best fat-burning cardio you can do to my knowledge and that's what I did whilst I was in ketosis the first time and, well, without trying to sound like a cheesy advertisement, the results spoke for themselves.

Having read up on it, it seems like HIIT could be worth a try - I'll perhaps alternate it with standard running/jogging sessions.

If my GPS watch is correct at my weight/speed I burn off just over 100 calories per 1km - this is probably higher than for an average person as I am overweight so use more energy dragging my bulk around! Appreciate this can only ever be an estimate though.

#25 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 21 August 2013 - 02:00 PM

The thing is it's calories not necessarily fat you're burning off. See the below article, it articulates things better than I do:

http://www.boxingsce...cardio/4394.php

#26 User is offline   Steve 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC
    Snowboarding
    Ale and alcohol in general

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:16 PM

Interesting stuff... I could do the food, just not the no beer.

And sorry to be pedantic but 1kg of fat weighs exactly the same as 1kg of muscle. The whole muscle weights more than fat has annoyed me since childhood . The correct term would be muscle has a higher density than fat. Apologies, I understand its quite sad how worked up over things like that I get.

This post has been edited by Steve: 21 August 2013 - 04:18 PM

#27 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:26 PM

View Post"Bacon Face", on 19 August 2013 - 10:21 PM, said:

There are grave dangers to metabolically messing with your system; denying, too much protein, too few calories, too many calories, too many carbs (sugar); fad dieting simply doesnt work long-term. Everyone should maintain a semi or full vegetarian diet and exercise every day, both weights and cardio.

Are we not by nature and evolution omnivores?
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#28 User is offline   rs1978 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2013 - 06:34 PM

View PostSteve, on 21 August 2013 - 04:16 PM, said:

Interesting stuff... I could do the food, just not the no beer.

And sorry to be pedantic but 1kg of fat weighs exactly the same as 1kg of muscle. The whole muscle weights more than fat has annoyed me since childhood . The correct term would be muscle has a higher density than fat. Apologies, I understand its quite sad how worked up over things like that I get.

Fair enough, fully understand where you're coming from - I can be quite pedantic myself!

#29 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:28 PM

Losing weight is easy you just don't consume more calories than you burn. You can have all the fad diets you want. Being overweight or obese is down to one thing, greed. Eat no more than you need and you won't put weight on. Simplez
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#30 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 21 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

Correct. But if you want to lose weight or cut body fat quickly then simply "eating less than you burn" isn't a viable option.

#31 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostGoku, on 21 August 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

Correct. But if you want to lose weight or cut body fat quickly then simply "eating less than you burn" isn't a viable option.

I do not know of any long lasting quick diets. Losing weight rapidly is no good to your health. The easy way around it is not to put it on in the first place. I eat I would say roughly about 3500 cals a day but I have a hard physical job and by the end of the week I will neither have put weight on or lost it. Then look at what the office sitting down brigade eat. They in reality need no more than 2000 cals a day probably less as they are not burning any off. However do they? If you heavily diet then your body slows its metabolism down so to conserve energy which in turn makes losing weight even harder. The only way to do it is to eat less and lose weight slowly or don't put it on in the first place
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#32 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 21 August 2013 - 08:35 PM

Define "health". Why is it no good for my health? Cos the Government tell you it isn't? Why isn't losing weight quickly any good for my health? I've done it before with no adverse effects as have plenty of other people I know of.

What I'm doing personally isn't a long-lasting quick diet... you can't do it for long cos after a while you're craving sugar. But it will get me down to a base whereby I can start bulking (building muscle) on a high-protein low-fat diet without the need to cut (trim my body fat percentage).

To confirm: I'm not looking to simply be "not fat" or "normal", that body type doesn't interest me in the slightest, I want to be better than that so simply eating below my maintenance calories isn't an option for me personally. As I've said, try losing body fat %age whilst eating your normal amount of carbs, it's a lot harder and will take a hell of a lot longer. Fat burns 5x faster than carbs do so why should I not switch fat to my primary source of energy if I have the choice? It makes perfect sense.

This post has been edited by Goku: 21 August 2013 - 08:45 PM

#33 User is offline   isleaiw 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:29 PM

View Postfishini, on 21 August 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

I do not know of any long lasting quick diets. Losing weight rapidly is no good to your health. The easy way around it is not to put it on in the first place. I eat I would say roughly about 3500 cals a day but I have a hard physical job and by the end of the week I will neither have put weight on or lost it. Then look at what the office sitting down brigade eat. They in reality need no more than 2000 cals a day probably less as they are not burning any off. However do they? If you heavily diet then your body slows its metabolism down so to conserve energy which in turn makes losing weight even harder. The only way to do it is to eat less and lose weight slowly or don't put it on in the first place

Problem solved - to lose weight, I dont need to give up the bottles of wine, or the eating out, or the snacks that I enjoy, i just need to stop having a desk job and do real work...

Have to say I agree, I sit at a desk, pilot a computer and a telephone, spend too many nights away with work in hotels and eating out, too many nights arriving home at 10pm after being out of the house for 16 hours, lunch being whatever the vending machine sells. My weight is a legacy of my crap life as a boss not a workerr....

PS Fish, if you havent worked out by now, i like winding you up, especially when you are right!

#34 User is offline   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 21 August 2013 - 10:57 PM

Anyone interested in taking fitness to a new level should keep an eye out for the "Spireites Health & Sports Club" that opens next month. Based at the Hub with its exclusive gym and therapy pool it is a club to increase participation into regular sport supported by elite athletes. There are plans for running, swimming, cycling, triathlon and volleyball (including the sitting version.) The Club will encourage everyone from entry level to Olympic/Paralympic level.
Peter Whiteley

#35 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:24 PM

View Postfishini, on 21 August 2013 - 05:26 PM, said:

Are we not by nature and evolution omnivores?

That's by the by, Fish; latest scientific research dictates what I wrote. It is in line with WHO findings and recommendations on cancer, diabetes, cardiovascular disease and other associated metabolic co-morbidites.

#36 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

Sorry to step in, Josh. Firstly, the 'couch to 5k' programme is IMO brilliant, and well done that man for doing what you have; that is excellent progress. Secondly, latest research has found that old-school low intensity prolonged exercise is the best for burning fat and overall health. However, that is not to say HIIT doesn't warrant its place as a fat-burner. I'd say a mix is a good approach, and, the older you get, the more injuries and time away from training will come about as a result of over-zealous and incorrect HIIT (something to be aware of).

Additionally, websites stating this and that do not equate to scientific peer-reviewed journals; the majority is mis-interpreted and confused interpretation.

This post has been edited by "Bacon Face": 22 August 2013 - 01:37 PM

#37 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 22 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

No need to worry about stepping in mate, you know your onions and I am but a fresh-faced young 'un interested in fitness.

I wasn't having a go at the Couch to 5k program (I'd never even heard of it before now), I just saw that he mentioned that he has been running and greatly increased the amount of time he can run for but without losing any notable weight which is why I recommended HIIT as to my knowledge that was the best way to burn fat. The thing is I have to use stuff off the internet because I wouldn't know where to find peer-reviewed journals etc. :\

#38 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostGoku, on 22 August 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

No need to worry about stepping in mate, you know your onions and I am but a fresh-faced young 'un interested in fitness.

I wasn't having a go at the Couch to 5k program (I'd never even heard of it before now), I just saw that he mentioned that he has been running and greatly increased the amount of time he can run for but without losing any notable weight which is why I recommended HIIT as to my knowledge that was the best way to burn fat. The thing is I have to use stuff off the internet because I wouldn't know where to find peer-reviewed journals etc. :\

Sorry, mate; I must write aggressively or summat....i wasn't meaning you were having a go at the couch to 5k. That's twice in a week now, bro lol :-) the HIIT was a good call too.

#39 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:41 PM

Haha hard to read the tone of text sometimes, probs just me being overdefensive.

Anyone else on here go to Lifestyles on Derby Road?

#40 User is offline   Bluebelle 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 August 2013 - 06:47 PM

Eat less , move more . Infallible.
"Its much more important than that !"

Share this topic:

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic