Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: From Where I Sat, - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

From Where I Sat,

#1 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:16 PM

First of all this wasn't hoofball. Infact for the first ten or so minutes we were fluent enough for me to turn to my mate and declare 'We'll do these easy'. Then even when the game turned into a much more fifty-fifty contest both sides were at least trying to play properly.

We just lacked the quality to be better at it.

Three at the back with B-W filling-in when they had the ball then trying to be creative when we had it. Trying. Very trying. Problem was, the only outlet on our right was the tall bearded centre back (sorry, don't know names, but this as only my third viewing of the season). In front of them, well, you'll have to tell me, as it was all kinda fluid.

However Rowley was head and shoulders above owt else on the pitch. He was everywhere, always available and always looking for a telling pass. Alongside Maguire in terms of that word again - quality.

Half time still found me confident of three points. Even though there were a couple or three players yet to make any discernible contribution. The enthusiastic yet clearly limited young lad up front (Shaw, I'm informed), the black lad in midfield (Weston, apparently) and Fortune. Oh, but a pat-on-the-back for our 'keeper who looked as sound as any I've seen over recent seasons.

The visitors had the best of things immediately after the break. However agree with them or not the Manager's early substitutions certainly turned things 'round. The boy Amantchi - has all the assets but no experience - and the 'big lad'. Who, rightly or wrongly, does what big lads have always done. Not sure if it was our momentum or them sitting deeper (yet they did persist with three up-front when we had corners) but we spent the last twenty or so minutes camped in their half. Especially when the long throw merchant came on. Effective if not entirely enjoyable.

And whilst we can once again bemoan a lack of decisive quality it took three, mebbe four goal line blockages to deny Town winning a game we more or less dominated. All of which means that if we look at this ninety minutes in singularity, dispassionately, and ignoring previous results, it was an entertaining game CFC deserved to win. Meanwhile no one can blame a ref who added enough time to compensate for the same sort of timewasting I witnessed in both League One and Two.

So was it another to add to our unbeaten run or another to add to our winless run?

Dunno, but rumours Allen's off to Notts could render the whole question moot anyway...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#2 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:23 PM

You can't ignore previous results and imo we were poor first half

#3 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:24 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 17 November 2018 - 08:16 PM, said:

First of all this wasn't hoofball. Infact for the first ten or so minutes we were fluent enough for me to turn to my mate and declare 'We'll do these easy'. Then even when the game turned into a much more fifty-fifty contest both sides were at least trying to play properly.

Three at the back with B-W filling-in when they had the ball then trying to be creative when we had it. Trying. Very trying. Problem was, the only outlet on our right was the tall bearded centre back (sorry, don't know names, but this as only my third viewing of the season). In front of them, well, you'll have to tell me, as it was all kinda fluid.

However Rowley was head and shoulders above owt else on the pitch. He was everywhere, always available and always looking for a telling pass. Alongside Maguire in terms of that word again - quality.

Half time still found me confident of three points. Even though there were a couple or three players yet to make any discernible contribution. The enthusiastic yet clearly limited young lad up front (Shaw, I'm informed), the black lad in midfield (Weston, apparently) and Fortune. Oh, but a pat-on-the-back for our 'keeper who looked as sound as any I've seen over recent seasons.

The visitors had the best of things immediately after the break. However agree with them or not the Manager's early substitutions certainly turned things 'round. The boy Amantchi - has all the assets but no experience - and the 'big lad'. Who, rightly or wrongly, does what big lads have always done. Not sure if it was our momentum or them sitting deeper (yet they did persist with three up-front when we had corners) but we spent the last twenty or so minutes camped in their half. Especially when the long throw merchant came on. Effective if not entirely enjoyable.

And whilst we can once again bemoan a lack of decisive quality it took three, mebbe four goal line blockages to deny Town winning a game we more or less dominated. All of which means that if we look at this ninety minutes in singularity, dispassionately, and ignoring previous results, it was an entertaining game CFC deserved to win. Meanwhile no one can blame a ref who added enough time to compensate for the same sort of timewasting I witnessed in both League One and Two.

So was it another to add to our unbeaten run or another to add to our winless run?

Dunno, but rumours Allen's off to Notts could render the whole question moot anyway...

Fair assessment, Chris.

I agree about Rowley - he is growing into his new found role, possibly one of the better things MA has done, but there are those around me still very critical - one really blasted him for his shot from outside the area which didn't scream into the top corner.

How strong are the rumours about MA to Notts do you think, Chris?

#4 User is offline   Bankrobber 

• 83 goals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Arctic Sheets and Fields of Wheat

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:31 PM

View Postdtp, on 17 November 2018 - 08:24 PM, said:

Fair assessment, Chris.

I agree about Rowley - he is growing into his new found role, possibly one of the better things MA has done, but there are those around me still very critical - one really blasted him for his shot from outside the area which didn't scream into the top corner.

I've just tweeted pretty much the same.

Watching Rowley and Maguire develop into first teamers is really one of the few positives we've had from this last few months.
The greatest miscarriage of justice since my case against the producers of the Never Ending Story

#5 User is offline   Spire-Heights 

• Legend

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:33 PM

Both Rowely and Maguire had very good games today.
Show class, have pride, and display character.If you do, winning takes care of itself.

#6 User is online   Valley Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:42 PM

Rowley had a very good second half and grew into the game.

I think Maguire looked good today but I feel he looks much more comfortable alongside Hollis. Hollis, for me, has to be our first choice senior CH.

#7 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:46 PM

Rowley was miles ahead of everyone on the pitch, he's growing into his new role looks composed and assured in it, maguire gets better every game too, as for the County rumours I really hope they are true and he's off soon, but tbh I think there's more chance of us scoring 6 at ricay than NC appointing MA
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#8 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:48 PM

I take it you don't go often ? I thought after the first 10 mins we were poor. No attacking threat and unlikely to score. Second half better when he realised it wasn't working with front 2.

#9 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:49 PM

We grabbed a few words in the Portland before the game, yet the fact still remains we are a poor side that can't beat Havant and waterloville at home. It is inconceivable - or is it - that it has come to this. All I know is that people around me that have sat alongside each other for a long time are disappearing one by one and have had enough. A sad state of affairs.

#10 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:52 PM

View PostSpire-Heights, on 17 November 2018 - 08:33 PM, said:

Both Rowely and Maguire had very good games today.

In front of Chris Wilder
God I hate this league.

#11 User is offline   BozaSpireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:56 PM

View PostDIFH, on 17 November 2018 - 08:52 PM, said:

In front of Chris Wilder

Might fancy the job when ma goes to county (praying) or not

#12 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:58 PM

View PostBozaSpireite, on 17 November 2018 - 08:56 PM, said:

Might fancy the job when ma goes to county (praying) or not

Wilder could do a better job one morning a week alongside his other job.

#13 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:58 PM

View PostDIFH, on 17 November 2018 - 08:52 PM, said:

In front of Chris Wilder

And that’s the issue of being a Non League side. The chances of hanging onto any half decent youngster at each transfer window (add in Carter’s name here) must be very near zero.

#14 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:02 PM

View PostBowzer spirey, on 17 November 2018 - 08:48 PM, said:

I take it you don't go often ? I thought after the first 10 mins we were poor. No attacking threat and unlikely to score. Second half better when he realised it wasn't working with front 2.

Got to agree generally, not a lot of fluid passing spells. Crosses were dreadful in that they were slow lofted efforts as well as the crosses from corners. Only in that last 10 minutes did we show any signs of urgency and as a result put the visitors under pressure. Midfield attacking wise was very ineffective we seem to have more defensive tactics as opposed to attacking options. No pass and move and plenty of players caught in possession together with awful passing.

Unless we start scoring nowt will change and surely a natural winger has to be included on one side.
God I hate this league.

#15 User is offline   BozaSpireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:14 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 17 November 2018 - 08:58 PM, said:

And that’s the issue of being a Non League side. The chances of hanging onto any half decent youngster at each transfer window (add in Carter’s name here) must be very near zero.

40/50k he’d be gone. (Rowley)

This post has been edited by BozaSpireite: 17 November 2018 - 09:15 PM

#16 User is online   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 18 November 2018 - 12:05 AM

Even though there were a couple or three players yet to make any discernible contribution.

Welcome back, and nice to natter.

I believe we witnessed a new milestone today, and that is that it will have occurred to MA that Reid and Fortune should never again take preference over Denton and Amantchi in the starting eleven barring injury.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#17 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:13 AM

View Postdim view, on 18 November 2018 - 12:05 AM, said:

Welcome back, and nice to natter.

I believe we witnessed a new milestone today, and that is that it will have occurred to MA that Reid and Fortune should never again take preference over Denton and Amantchi in the starting eleven barring injury.

I agree, annoyingly he was critical of both Reid & Fortune at the recent Q&A, then suddenly they are back in favour

#18 User is offline   Tall Faces 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:History, music, cricket and the Spireites

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:34 AM

Yes he’s done this a few times. I can only think he lets his guard slip and says what he thinks and then with hindsight regrets it and takes action to rebuild relationships, confidence, morale or whatever. He blew in yesterday’s post match interview about the sale of KD to Notts County in a way you wouldn’t normally expect from him. I have to say playing Fortune and Reid is far to much penance for any slip of the tongue.

#19 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 November 2018 - 08:46 AM

I am mystified by MA. His starting line up is bafflingly poor. Most manager would have a left back a left winger a right back a right winger, use the width of the pitch but not here ?

I would like to see that formation but he has blown any chance of that happening by his available players who clearly couldn't play in that formation.

You need to be playing your best players at the outset put the effort in early and scoring early not leaving it till the last 20 minutes and panicking for a goal.

Very left sided heavy and easy to play against because the opposition know exactly where the ball will be going

It's like having a ship and the captain telling everyone to stand on the port side and nobody on the starboard side, the ship will sink.

I bought into the MA positivity and optimism but his players and tactics have me doubting.

#20 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 18 November 2018 - 09:12 AM

17 games without a win. 12 and half hours of home football with a single goal from open play and you're now 'doubting'? If not you never would be.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users