Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: As this is the last ever season here - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

As this is the last ever season here What memories will you take away from saltergate?

#41 User is online   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:45 PM

View Postconeyblue, on Nov 27 2009, 10:39 PM, said:

Would that have been the turnstile? :unsure:

Actually I don't know as I am not sure my Granddad would have gone through a turnstile...
Peter Whiteley

#42 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:48 PM

Ignoring the obvious a couple of silly personal memories. A game v Bristol Rovers in '96, played with snow at the side of the pitch and a dull game to boot. Not big and not clever I know but I managed to hit their goalkeeper (Collett?) on the back of the neck with a snowball as he watched the game unfold at the other end of the pitch.

Around that time also a midweek league game v Wrexham saw me and couple of mates armed with a milk bottle of what we hoped would turn out to be a smoke bomb (made with chemicals from the vets as one lad's Dad is a well known local vet). We made our way at a dull moment to the corner of the Cross Street and Kop behind the floodlight and placed said milk bottle on the back wall of the terrace. One flick of the lighter and we were back on the Kop very quickly. The smoke that ensued was astonishing and for a moment or two I'm sure the referee was contemplating taking the players off as the chemical crowd slipped across the Kop goalmouth!

This post has been edited by Westbars Spireite: 27 November 2009 - 10:50 PM

#43 User is offline   Bankrobber 

• 83 goals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Arctic Sheets and Fields of Wheat

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:02 PM

Howard putting on 'Simply the Best' after the final whistle v Wrexham...never been much of a fan of Tina Turner...but i was lapping that one up! :unsure:
(Anyone got any other musical memories of Saltergate? - tribute album anyone? "Saltergate's Greatest Hits"!)

As a young lad, receiving a Coca Cola Soccer Skills award on the pitch on the day Jim Brown scored v Stockport

The marching bands at half time (whatever happened to them?)

Loads of match related memories...too many to mention and probably all been done above.
The greatest miscarriage of justice since my case against the producers of the Never Ending Story

#44 User is offline   coneyblue 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Work<br />Houses<br />Cars<br />CFC<br />Cinema<br />Eating Out

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:09 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on Nov 27 2009, 10:51 PM, said:

Not big and not clever I know but I managed to hit their goalkeeper (Collett?) on the back of the neck with a snowball as he watched the game unfold at the other end of the pitch.

You've got to be a cricketer.

#45 User is offline   bluefru 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:30 PM

I seem to remember not so mometus games or realy important goals. More little things in my mind! Tommy curtis pretending to swim in the fog a week night match against luton. I think it was. Ryan williams scoring in time added on cant remember who against just the kop went mad! Jamie hewitts goal against fulham. Bruno giving hez socks away end of one season. Great memories and hopfully a few more yet. Hope the b2net has some equaly as good.

#46 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:41 PM

View Postbluefru, on Nov 27 2009, 11:33 PM, said:

I seem to remember not so mometus games or realy important goals. More little things in my mind! Tommy curtis pretending to swim in the fog a week night match against luton. I think it was. Ryan williams scoring in time added on cant remember who against just the kop went mad! Jamie hewitts goal against fulham. Bruno giving hez socks away end of one season. Great memories and hopfully a few more yet. Hope the b2net has some equaly as good.

Who was the fullback, cant remember the name, from (donny)? didnt score for years, and then he did, ran in front of the kop, with hands in `prayer` position, thanking the lord for breaking his duck, only to have it dissallowed?

It will take time. Old sweats of saltergate such as ourselves wont ever forget the old place, but in 10 years the new generation will have made DEMA thier own, and look at old photos of saltergate with amusement.

The club will be better off for it.
A new hope.

#47 User is offline   coneyblue 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Work<br />Houses<br />Cars<br />CFC<br />Cinema<br />Eating Out

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:42 PM

View Postdeath, on Nov 27 2009, 11:44 PM, said:

Who was the fullback, cant remember the name, from (donny)? didnt score for years, and then he did, ran in front of the kop, with hands in `prayer` position, thanking the lord for breaking his duck, only to have it dissallowed?

It will take time. Old sweats of saltergate such as ourselves wont ever forget the old place, but in 10 years the new generation will have made DEMA thier own, and look at old photos of saltergate with amusement.

Nobby - Lee Rogers.

#48 User is offline   forevablue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 November 2009 - 11:50 PM

Sad for us 'oldies' but true. So many memories I can't begin to list them. If there is one it would have to be walking up Goldwell Hill before THE Wrexham game and thinking about my Grandad who took me to Saltergate in my early years from 1966 and what he would have thought about that game. What a fantastic game football is, the stuff on the pitch can be crap most of the time, but that isn't what it is all about for the likes of us.

#49 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:01 AM

View Postforevablue, on Nov 27 2009, 11:53 PM, said:

Sad for us 'oldies' but true. So many memories I can't begin to list them. If there is one it would have to be walking up Goldwell Hill before THE Wrexham game and thinking about my Grandad who took me to Saltergate in my early years from 1966 and what he would have thought about that game. What a fantastic game football is, the stuff on the pitch can be crap most of the time, but that isn't what it is all about for the likes of us.

But think of it, a new era, a new generation.

Kids might walk up to DEMA, exited by the new ground and the promotion to league 1 just achieved,and be full of youthfull enthusiam! Bursting with it!

Folk(like my mate Carlossus pissarticus maximus) have not have been since Luton, but Would start going again?

We could have regular gates of 5-6000(home fans) at the third tier, never mind if CFC pushed for promotion!

Only a baffoon would suggest the move to DEMA is not in the best, long term, interests of CFC.

So Where is `H`?
A new hope.

#50 User is offline   Frank Thacker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2009 - 12:17 AM

View PostBankrobber, on Nov 27 2009, 11:05 PM, said:

Howard putting on 'Simply the Best' after the final whistle v Wrexham...never been much of a fan of Tina Turner...but i was lapping that one up! :lol:
(Anyone got any other musical memories of Saltergate? - tribute album anyone? "Saltergate's Greatest Hits"!)

Funnily enough, walking off the Kop after Wrexham relegated us in 2000; Howard played "Mama Told Me Not To Come..."
Posted Image

#51 User is offline   dmb1978 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:47 AM

View Postmarlons curtains, on Nov 27 2009, 07:53 PM, said:

cant believe no one hasnt mentioned ASWAD on a wet friday night in front of 500! :P

A few people have told me about that but i thought it was a joke (DONT TURN AROUND) :lol:

This post has been edited by dmb1978: 28 November 2009 - 06:56 AM

#52 User is offline   dmb1978 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2009 - 06:58 AM

Remember in mid to late '90 i think it was when 50/50 draw started and that bloke would stand in middle of pitch reading number out best thing we were giving him some right stick remember how he would start ZERO ZERO, what ever happened to him?

#53 User is offline   martatcross 

• Legend

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:01 AM

View Postdmb1978, on Nov 28 2009, 07:01 AM, said:

Remember in mid to late '90 i think it was when 50/50 draw started and that bloke would stand in middle of pitch reading number out best thing we were giving him some right stick remember how he would start ZERO ZERO, what ever happened to him?

Mr Zero was struck off when it was found to be a secret Stag
Can't salute yer can't find a flag if that don't suit yer that's a drag

#54 User is offline   Norman_Templeton 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:39 AM

View PostStuart Basson, on Nov 28 2009, 01:20 AM, said:

Funnily enough, walking off the Kop after Wrexham relegated us in 2000; Howard played "Mama Told Me Not To Come..."

I remember in the early sixties sat in what is now the Family Stand with my dad and brother, they always seemed to play "A walk in the Black Forest" at half time! Strange how the little things stay with you.

#55 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:18 AM

Lee Rogers. really felt for him at the time, was a good goal too if memory serves

#56 User is offline   oh rodney rodney 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:heavy rock/metal classic rock, having a gargle + CHESTERFIELD + EVERTON FOOTBALL CLUBS

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:40 AM

mr zero always tried talking to us but we wouldnt have anything to do with him
one game we bought our 50/50 tickets of him + he said to my mate youve lost
some weight i wish i could do that !

quick as a flash my mate said put yor mansfield shirt on + stand on kop
you will lose more than weight then funny how he never bothered us again :lol:
FROM THE GREEN GREEN GRASS OF SALTERGATE,

#57 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 November 2009 - 10:53 AM

Reevsey scoring a golden goal in the LDV (v Kidderminster 2001) and running straight down the tunnel to celebrate

#58 User is online   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:05 AM

View Postdalekpete, on Nov 27 2009, 10:48 PM, said:

Actually I don't know as I am not sure my Granddad would have gone through a turnstile...

I wonder if before we were inclusive and used the door for disabled fans that all including staff and press went through a turnstile? It was certainly the one under the stairs that I used.

Another question- what was there before the metal steps up to the centre-stand turnstiles?
Peter Whiteley

#59 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:28 AM

View Postmoondog, on Nov 28 2009, 10:21 AM, said:

Lee Rogers. really felt for him at the time, was a good goal too if memory serves

Thats it!!

lob/chip over the keeper from corner of the box wasnt it?
A new hope.

#60 User is offline   Frank Thacker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 November 2009 - 11:44 AM

View Postdalekpete, on Nov 28 2009, 11:08 AM, said:

I wonder if before we were inclusive and used the door for disabled fans that all including staff and press went through a turnstile? It was certainly the one under the stairs that I used.

Another question- what was there before the metal steps up to the centre-stand turnstiles?

Leitch's plan for the stand shows a "Wicket in door for press" built into the wooden exit doors for the centre stand, so the press would have go up the exterior steps and through this door to get to concourse level. Underneath, there appears to be a simple, single door.

As for the step construction, I can't see it specified on Leitch's plan, but there is a note that the flat area immediately outside the turnstiles and exit doors is concrete, so the chances are that the steps were, too. There is a rumour that the metal steps were actually the second set to be built. The story is that the first set (put in to replace the (concrete?) ones after Bradford) failed to meet safety regulations, and had to be rebuilt a season later.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users