Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: The Unforgiven Match Thread. - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Unforgiven Match Thread.

#181 User is offline   Blue roan lily 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:CFC.

Posted 23 October 2021 - 10:10 PM

Tiptoe thru the Cross St, on 23 October 2021 - 10:03 PM, said:

I think BW always tried to get forward and generally passed better than us for the first 60 mins without looking like scoring

Disagree. I thought they were rammel and offered nothing but a Evans swerver spectator.
The term of ‘ Boringwood ‘ is very apt for them.
Feel sorry for the people who watch that crap every two weeks..

#182 User is offline   Norton Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:all things Spireites - and Liverpool

Posted 23 October 2021 - 10:27 PM

I think BW always tried to get forward and generally passed better than us for the first 60 mins without looking like scoring

By ‘passing better’ i’m assuming you mean lump it upfield?

#183 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 23 October 2021 - 11:40 PM

The only part of that post that isn't utter nonsense is the last four words.

#184 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:19 AM

billyblue67, on 23 October 2021 - 05:51 PM, said:

He also made a howler against Barnet but that also didn't cost us any points.

Their goals were both deflected.

#185 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:21 AM

Mr Mercury, on 23 October 2021 - 07:13 PM, said:

At the moment I think the Notts County, Wrexham, Stockport and Grimsby games will certainly be pushing 8k.

Well over 8k I'd suggest with a sold out away end. And although I hope we don't, all 4 could probably take an extra few hundred in the East Stand too.

#186 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 07:52 AM

Big question yest'di was 'How the hell're these second'?

Yeah they're a physical outfit who grafted, but other than the first half diving save from Loach - which's gotta compensate for his second half howler - barely posed a problem. Infact what might've been a nail-biting last five minutes passed pretty uneventfully (no doubt helped by Evans' early exit - cheers pal!).

Or is saying it was an ordinary kinda game - perhaps only really illuminated by a magical twist, turn and strike from Kabonga - down to a thoroughly competent performance by Town?

Probably so.

Couldn't have gone better for those making it personal either, with their 'keeper (who did seem to take an inordinate time over kicks from minute one) conceding the penno (was it a bit soft? Who cares...) and Evans' joy at grabbing his daft goal abruptly curtailed by the red.

Maybe some of our fans weren't the only ones bearing grudges.

By contrast I thought the mutual respect shown by both home punters and Scott Boden classy. Well done all.

Only real concern of the afternoon was watching more players limp off. Are we getting near needing replacements? You'd think our healthy crowds - I understand five and a half thousand's some way above budget - should fund them.

That notwithstanding is it really only a year since we were second bottom (ish) rather than second top? Well to quote a certain someone I'm 'judging' that turnaround and it makes those no longer around look more and more useless with every day!
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#187 User is offline   monte 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:14 AM

metallilad, on 23 October 2021 - 04:13 PM, said:

I thought Ashmore was a professional today. No bull***t, kept on going even though he was clearly injured.

I thought he was faking it, he did this last time we were on top and it was amazing how he could job to get the ball but not kick it etc.

If he was injured then fair play to him.

I wasn't impressed with one of the chants from the Kop one of them sounded like he was being called a fat black b****** ? I really hope it wasn't that, most just sounded like he was being called fat etc.

#188 User is offline   monte 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:19 AM

Security66, on 23 October 2021 - 06:07 PM, said:

Loach will be the first to admit it was a bad mistake but lets not lose sight of the good things he did.

Agreed despite me saying he should be in for catching training, he made a couple of great saves in the first half.

Goku, on 23 October 2021 - 06:14 PM, said:

Didn’t go today but not surprised.

and people wanted Payne ahead of him ffs

Rowe played well.

Payne has been class, it's almost like competition for places is a good thing.

#189 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:19 AM

monte, on 24 October 2021 - 08:14 AM, said:

I thought he was faking it, he did this last time we were on top and it was amazing how he could job to get the ball but not kick it etc.

If he was injured then fair play to him.

I wasn't impressed with one of the chants from the Kop one of them sounded like he was being called a fat black b****** ? I really hope it wasn't that, most just sounded like he was being called fat etc.

It was fat lying b*****

#190 User is offline   monte 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:25 AM

Oh thank goodness, I thought we were better than that. I was worried given his previous suggestions of that kind of treatment.

I do think he was faking the I jury though

#191 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:27 AM

Norton Blue, on 23 October 2021 - 10:27 PM, said:

By ‘passing better’ i’m assuming you mean lump it upfield?

They passed more through midfield than us for the first hour. We were lumping it upfield all first half. Midfield did not dominate. Folk in east stand were screaming pass the f'in ball. Eventually we did and we looked good.

#192 User is offline   monte 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:27 AM

On the positive note. What a player Kabby is. The way he made space for that goal was absolute quality.

He's certainly worth the "Jason Lee" money (or perhaps we should say Reeves money given he can score...)

#193 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:28 AM

The Earl of Chesterfield, on 24 October 2021 - 07:52 AM, said:

Big question yest'di was 'How the hell're these second'?

Yeah they're a physical outfit who grafted, but other than the first half diving save from Loach - which's gotta compensate for his second half howler - barely posed a problem. Infact what might've been a nail-biting last five minutes passed pretty uneventfully (no doubt helped by Evans' early exit - cheers pal!).

Or is saying it was an ordinary kinda game - perhaps only really illuminated by a magical twist, turn and strike from Kabonga - down to a thoroughly competent performance by Town?

Probably so.

Couldn't have gone better for those making it personal either, with their 'keeper (who did seem to take an inordinate time over kicks from minute one) conceding the penno (was it a bit soft? Who cares...) and Evans' joy at grabbing his daft goal abruptly curtailed by the red.

Maybe some of our fans weren't the only ones bearing grudges.

By contrast I thought the mutual respect shown by both home punters and Scott Boden classy. Well done all.

Only real concern of the afternoon was watching more players limp off. Are we getting near needing replacements? You'd think our healthy crowds - I understand five and a half thousand's some way above budget - should fund them.

That notwithstanding is it really only a year since we were second bottom (ish) rather than second top? Well to quote a certain someone I'm 'judging' that turnaround and it makes those no longer around look more and more useless with every day!

I didn't think it was an ordinary game. I thought it was quite a good game with an edge to it. A bit of a battle which we were prepared for, overcame, and won.

Ashmore is a better keeper than many give him credit for and played his part well in front of the goading crowd.

If their manager is to be believed they only have about 16 players and we are now down to around that too. We can only name 16 players on match days, so I can see where JR is coming from, at present, as yesterday's team looked quite capable of performing at this level. However, should injuries put us in such a situation that we can't name a full match day squad then I see no alternative than dipping into the loan market. And, as you say Chris, with crowds apparently well over budget that should be affordable going forward especially now we seem to have returned to the Technique for a few games after what seems like a long and, no doubt, expensive series of away games which must have been a drag on cash flow.

#194 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:31 AM

monte, on 24 October 2021 - 08:27 AM, said:

On the positive note. What a player Kabby is. The way he made space for that goal was absolute quality.

He's certainly worth the "Jason Lee" money (or perhaps we should say Reeves money given he can score...)

He can win us a game when we arent doing much. Made that goal himself. Top top player at this level and defo will play a league or 2 higher, hopefully with us.

#195 User is offline   monte 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:39 AM

I think we might need to dip into the load market too. Kellerman fought hard and was coming more into the game as it got on.

I'd like McGuire to do some right foot training. Too many times today our momentum got stopped so he could cut in and use his left peg. But he did play well.

Tiptoe thru the Cross St, on 24 October 2021 - 08:31 AM, said:

He can win us a game when we arent doing much. Made that goal himself. Top top player at this level and defo will play a league or 2 higher, hopefully with us.

Agreed. Perhaps Asante can play on the wing or Rowe drop into the "10" role once Asante is back.

#196 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:45 AM

monte, on 24 October 2021 - 08:39 AM, said:

Agreed. Perhaps Asante can play on the wing or Rowe drop into the "10" role once Asante is back.

If he can play behind Akwasi and Kabs that could be interesting but would that work? There's Clarke to come back too, where to fit them all in hey!

#197 User is offline   monte 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:51 AM

Tiptoe thru the Cross St, on 24 October 2021 - 08:45 AM, said:

If he can play behind Akwasi and Kabs that could be interesting but would that work? There's Clarke to come back too, where to fit them all in hey!

That's true I think Clark gives us more energy than Rowe. Gosh is nice to be thinking about selection problems.

Liam Mandy was good in flashes again (story of his time so far), it's a shame his shot it the bar.

I thought Payne was quite unlucky since he's been playing so well.

#198 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 24 October 2021 - 08:51 AM

monte, on 24 October 2021 - 08:19 AM, said:

Payne has been class

In what world?

#199 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:03 AM

Goku, on 24 October 2021 - 08:51 AM, said:

In what world?

Not this one. He's been alright in the way a non-scoring forward often is.

#200 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:13 AM

dtp, on 24 October 2021 - 08:28 AM, said:

I didn't think it was an ordinary game. I thought it was quite a good game with an edge to it. A bit of a battle which we were prepared for, overcame, and won.

Ashmore is a better keeper than many give him credit for and played his part well in front of the goading crowd.

If their manager is to be believed they only have about 16 players and we are now down to around that too. We can only name 16 players on match days, so I can see where JR is coming from, at present, as yesterday's team looked quite capable of performing at this level. However, should injuries put us in such a situation that we can't name a full match day squad then I see no alternative than dipping into the loan market. And, as you say Chris, with crowds apparently well over budget that should be affordable going forward especially now we seem to have returned to the Technique for a few games after what seems like a long and, no doubt, expensive series of away games which must have been a drag on cash flow.

I meant "ordinary" in the sense there wasn't the fluency of some games, Dave.

But yeah, that was probably because it was a bit of a "battle". Which, as you quite rightly say, we won.

It can be easily argued we overcame another obstacle, too - seeing out the nervous ninety-plus minutes!

Infact as both my visits this season saw last gasp kicks in the knackers, I can turn up in future with conscience clear...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

Share this topic:

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users