Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: So Onto Bradford City Game. - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So Onto Bradford City Game.

#1 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

Fancy dress girls ?

Will they field a weakened team and what dates are the play-offs. Looks like Bradford will get Millwall..

God I hate this league.

#2 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:57 AM

Full list of play off semi final dates....

Sky Bet Championship – Match A
Leg 1 (6 v 3): Friday 13th May (7.45pm)
Leg 2 (3 v 6): Monday 16th May (7.45pm)

Sky Bet Championship – Match B
Leg 1 (5 v 4): Saturday 14th May (12.30pm)
Leg 2 (4 v 5): Tuesday 17th May (7.45pm)

Sky Bet League 1 – Match A
Leg 1: Saturday 14th May (5.30pm)
Leg 2: Thursday 19th May (7.45pm)

Sky Bet League 1 – Match B
Leg 1: Sunday 15th May (12.15pm)
Leg 2: Friday 20th May (7.45pm)

Sky Bet League 2 – Match A
Leg 1: Thursday 12th May (7.45pm)
Leg 2: Sunday 15th May (6.00pm)

Sky Bet League 2 – Match B
Leg 1: Saturday 14th May (7.30pm)
Leg 2: Wednesday 18th May (7.45pm)

#3 User is offline   BlueRover52 

• If it aint broke don't fix it!

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 01 May 2016 - 11:42 AM, said:

Fancy dress girls ?

Will they field a weakened team and what dates are the play-offs. Looks like Bradford will get Millwall..

:wacko: Quite possibly.But with Millwall and Walsall on 78pts and Bradford on 77pts the third place is still up for grabs.Granted Walsall have a game in hand but anything can happen. :blink:
Many a good tune

#4 User is offline   Spire-Heights 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:35 PM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 01 May 2016 - 11:42 AM, said:

Fancy dress girls ?

What you going as David?
Show class, have pride, and display character.If you do, winning takes care of itself.

#5 User is offline   Tylerdurdencfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:36 PM

See now this is were I see the play-offs should be altered. The following solution would make teams still be xompetitive until the end of the season rather than resting players and effectively fielding weakened teams (which in my book fills the book of match fixing, unsporting behaviour etc).

The solution is simple for the play-offs and it solves the point of the current unfair process were a team could be twenty points clear etc of sixth.

The play-offs should be as follows.

Match one (two legs) sixth place and fifth place play each other. The winner of that then moves into match two

Winner of match one v fourth place ( two legs), the winner of this then plays third place in the play off final.

So if you finish third you're automatically in the final, where as fifth and six need to play five games to get promoted.

#6 User is offline   martatcross 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:51 PM

View PostTylerdurdencfc, on 01 May 2016 - 01:36 PM, said:

See now this is were I see the play-offs should be altered. The following solution would make teams still be xompetitive until the end of the season rather than resting players and effectively fielding weakened teams (which in my book fills the book of match fixing, unsporting behaviour etc).

The solution is simple for the play-offs and it solves the point of the current unfair process were a team could be twenty points clear etc of sixth.

Match one (two legs) sixth place and fifth place play each other. The winner of that then moves into match two

Winner of match one v fourth place ( two legs), the winner of this then plays third place in the play off final.

So if you finish third you're automatically in the final, where as fifth and six need to play five games to get promoted.

Interesting theory but on the other hand you would have one team knackered because they have played five more games and the other not played for best part of three weeks.
Can't salute yer can't find a flag if that don't suit yer that's a drag

#7 User is offline   Tylerdurdencfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:56 PM

That's the advantage of finishing third, players have less chance of suspensions and injury etc

Teams finishing fifth and sixth have to do more to get promoted

Teams finishing third are guaranteed a day out at Wembley straight away. The bonus of finishing above the other teams.

#8 User is online   azul 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:02 PM

Everybody knows the system at the start of the season and it doesn't need changing

None of us were worried about it last season

This post has been edited by azul: 01 May 2016 - 02:03 PM

Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#9 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 02:19 PM

Think this was first touted in 'The Crooked Spireite' summat like twenty years ago, pal.

It makes sense, rewarding sides accumulating more points rather than them meeting less successful ones on an even footing, as we did versus our little neighbours in '95 despite finishing fifteen or more above 'em.

But of course because it makes sense there's no way it'll happen.

Anyway, it'll be terrific to sit back and finally enjoy a Town game with no worries next Sunday (well, no immediate relegation ones, that is), probably looking forward to some cricket and days round a Mediterranean pool, too.

Ahhh...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#10 User is offline   Doughnut 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2016 - 03:42 PM

With 1/2/3 games to go a team may already be guaranteed 3rd place with no chance of finishing higher or lower, so they may still field a weakened side in the final game(s). Mid-table teams who are neither going up nor down may well rest some of their better players and select fringe players to evaluate them for the next season etc.

Your suggestion may reduce the instances of a weakened side being fielded by the teams in the play offs towards the end of the season, but it won't eliminate it.

Its a bit old school but if you want a fair system you promote the top 3 (or whatever number). Everyone has 46 games to amass as many points as possible. After 46 games the ones at the top reap the rewards. Of course this denies teams (and supporters) a chance to go to Wembley. The season could be 'over' sooner as the top 3 could run away with it. There are a number of pros and cons.

This post has been edited by Doughnut: 01 May 2016 - 03:43 PM

#11 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:00 PM

View PostTylerdurdencfc, on 01 May 2016 - 01:56 PM, said:

That's the advantage of finishing third, players have less chance of suspensions and injury etc

Teams finishing fifth and sixth have to do more to get promoted

Teams finishing third are guaranteed a day out at Wembley straight away. The bonus of finishing above the other teams.

Three weeks without a game after the seasons finished, then a one off going into the game cold? Not sure it's a good idea sorry
East stand second class citizen.

#12 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:01 PM

Looking forward too it now. Not been in a few years as it's always a Tuesday! Should be a half decent and less nervy following!

#13 User is offline   AllTownArentWe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:16 PM

LETS ALL GO IN DEAN SAUNDERS MASKS! lol

#14 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:19 PM

View Postnovakisaspireite, on 01 May 2016 - 05:16 PM, said:

LETS ALL GO IN DEAN SAUNDERS MASKS! lol

This post has been edited by Dave In Footie Heaven: 01 May 2016 - 05:19 PM

God I hate this league.

#15 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:22 PM

<p><br></p>

This post has been edited by Dave In Footie Heaven: 01 May 2016 - 05:24 PM

God I hate this league.

#16 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:25 PM

View PostCFC91, on 01 May 2016 - 05:01 PM, said:

Looking forward too it now. Not been in a few years as it's always a Tuesday! Should be a half decent and less nervy following!

Regardless of the game I always find trips to Bradford a nervy affair
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#17 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:30 PM

Well that's it for the season now for me, spent over £1200 on season tickets last week so I'm having a well earned cfc rest. Good luck to all that go and hope for a good performance

#18 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:28 PM

Btw are you all aware it's a Sunday game with a 12.30 ko time?

#19 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 02 May 2016 - 03:09 PM

And then the team in third goes into the final stale from not playing.

If you wanted to give third place an extra benefit then it would be far easier just to drop 6th place. Third goes straight to Wembley and 4th and 5th play off to meet them there.

#20 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 02 May 2016 - 05:35 PM

Thinking about my fancy dress for next week
Possibly a sumo suit with food banks across the back
Have passport will travel

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +