Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Goalkeeper Situation - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Goalkeeper Situation

#1 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:00 PM

Unless I've missed it, I've not noticed anyone querying the wisdom of letting Stuckmann go. I know opinion is divided, and he made one or two blunders, but I feel he did, on the whole, a very good job for us. In my view, he commanded his area better than Tommy, and that is a quality we will certainly need in L2 next season where we will almost certainly be subjected to more crosses aimed at a big CF. Stuckmann made some excellent saves in addition to stopping 3 out of 4 penalties - how many keepers have a 75% penalty success rate? We don't even know if Tommy will be back to full fitness for pre-season, and I haven't seen anybody else who can come close to Stuckmann, so unless somebody better is in the pipeline, we could have a weakness in a vital area for next season. Now I know there are areas all over the pitch that we can justifiably be worried about, but a decent keeper is absolutely crucial. I, for one, think Stuckmann has been one of the few positives for us, and I'd have been happy to see him given another season, even if Tommy does return to fitness.

#2 User is offline   Essex_Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

Would Stuckmann have been content sitting on the bench and vice versa for Tommy? I assume a goalkeeper will come in on loan from a higher club, with Dylan Parkin going out on loan.

Perhaps in January if Parkin has played well and proved himself he will come back and be the back up keeper to Tommy.
Essex Spireite

#3 User is offline   brianclose 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:08 PM

View Postsophocles, on 02 May 2017 - 02:00 PM, said:

Unless I've missed it, I've not noticed anyone querying the wisdom of letting Stuckmann go. I know opinion is divided, and he made one or two blunders, but I feel he did, on the whole, a very good job for us. In my view, he commanded his area better than Tommy, and that is a quality we will certainly need in L2 next season where we will almost certainly be subjected to more crosses aimed at a big CF. Stuckmann made some excellent saves in addition to stopping 3 out of 4 penalties - how many keepers have a 75% penalty success rate? We don't even know if Tommy will be back to full fitness for pre-season, and I haven't seen anybody else who can come close to Stuckmann, so unless somebody better is in the pipeline, we could have a weakness in a vital area for next season. Now I know there are areas all over the pitch that we can justifiably be worried about, but a decent keeper is absolutely crucial. I, for one, think Stuckmann has been one of the few positives for us, and I'd have been happy to see him given another season, even if Tommy does return to fitness.

Agree I think he was a gnats away from earning a new deal. Probably his age and letting in that late Sheff U trickler on Sunday made Caldwells mind up for him.

#4 User is offline   Spire-Heights 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2017 - 02:56 PM

The decision regarding Stuckmann was made prior to Sheffield United game. Just because a contract wasn't offered, doesn't mean the manager didn't want him to stay. Maybe a chat was had between manager and player weeks ago regarding the players intentions moving forward, therefore no official offer made as the player had already confirmed what he wanted and CFC wasn't where he wanted to be.

Just a thought....

This post has been edited by Spire-Heights: 02 May 2017 - 02:57 PM

Show class, have pride, and display character.If you do, winning takes care of itself.

#5 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:11 PM

Ex-Spireite GK Adam Smith is a free agent after being released by Northampton.

#6 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:22 PM

Being good at saving penalties should be a bonus only. From what I've seen he's too slow to get down and moving around his box.

#7 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:27 PM

Made far to many mistakes resulting in goals for the opposition. I agree with GC on releasing him.

#8 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:51 PM

View Postdtp, on 02 May 2017 - 04:27 PM, said:

Made far to many mistakes resulting in goals for the opposition. I agree with GC on releasing him.

I think that's a very harsh judgement considering the excuse for a team he had in front of him. However people judge him, it still begs the question of who we've got who is better than Stuckmann?

#9 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:52 PM

View Postsophocles, on 02 May 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

I think that's a very harsh judgement considering the excuse for a team he had in front of him. However people judge him, it still begs the question of who we've got who is better than Stuckmann?

Tommy. Next question.

#10 User is online   Valley Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:25 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 02 May 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

Tommy. Next question.

Providing he comes back the same player after over a year out. Fingers crossed.

#11 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 02 May 2017 - 05:30 PM

View PostValley Blues, on 02 May 2017 - 05:25 PM, said:

Providing he comes back the same player after over a year out. Fingers crossed.

Management and player will presumably agree on a date by which Tommy has to pass a demanding fitness test some time in pre-season. No need to panic about making a decision before then. Stuckman might still be available as an option then.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#12 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2017 - 09:55 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 02 May 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

Tommy. Next question.

I'd have thought there are several 'next questions' which should be obvious to everyone. For example, how well will Tommy recover from his injury AND his incredibly long absence from competitive football? Following on from that, who do we have on the books who is capable of adequately taking Tommy's place? You, IMO, along with others, are guilty of exaggerating Tommy's ability more and more the longer his absence becomes. I'm a Tommy Lee admirer, and have always backed and supported him, but let's not pretend that he didn't have his faults , in particular being very weak with high balls into our area. I think a fair comparison between Tommy Lee and Thorsten Stuckmann would conclude that they are both good L1/2 goalkeepers, with differing strengths and weaknesses, not forgetting that they would be playing at a higher level if they didn't have faults.

#13 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 02 May 2017 - 10:37 PM

View Postsophocles, on 02 May 2017 - 09:55 PM, said:

I'd have thought there are several 'next questions' which should be obvious to everyone. For example, how well will Tommy recover from his injury AND his incredibly long absence from competitive football? Following on from that, who do we have on the books who is capable of adequately taking Tommy's place? You, IMO, along with others, are guilty of exaggerating Tommy's ability more and more the longer his absence becomes. I'm a Tommy Lee admirer, and have always backed and supported him, but let's not pretend that he didn't have his faults , in particular being very weak with high balls into our area. I think a fair comparison between Tommy Lee and Thorsten Stuckmann would conclude that they are both good L1/2 goalkeepers, with differing strengths and weaknesses, not forgetting that they would be playing at a higher level if they didn't have faults.

I can see the goalkeeper situation being next years playing side disaster
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#14 User is offline   Spireiteboy155 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:02 PM

View Postazul, on 02 May 2017 - 10:37 PM, said:

I can see the goalkeeper situation being ONE OF next years playing side disaster

Sorted that for you.
You're welcome.

#15 User is offline   SatNav21 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2017 - 06:58 AM

Much better goal keepers available but they weren't available at the time we needed one

#16 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2017 - 08:24 AM

View Postsophocles, on 02 May 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

No. The question is - can we start the season with a better keeper? I think the answer is "Yes".

I've never understood this love in for Stuckman.

#17 User is offline   Brookie 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My Dad took me to my first game at Saltergate age 5, he never did say what I'd done wrong, been hooked ever since

Posted 03 May 2017 - 09:27 AM

Stuckman was a better option than Fulton but not a long term option, and despite his previous record there has to be some concerns about Lee and his fitness in terms of mobility with his shoulder

#18 User is offline   martatcross 

• Legend

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:22 AM

Stuckmann filled a gap because Allinson and Fulton where deemed not good enough. For me Caldwell just didn't have any other option only Stuckmann but probably would have preferred someone else given the chance. Now is that chance.
Can't salute yer can't find a flag if that don't suit yer that's a drag

#19 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:27 AM

View Postmartatcross, on 03 May 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

Stuckmann filled a gap because Allinson and Fulton where deemed not good enough. For me Caldwell just didn't have any other option only Stuckmann but probably would have preferred someone else given the chance. Now is that chance.

Stuckmann had been with us before the window closed, yet didn't sign until well after so presumably GC, knowing he felt he needed another keeper, did have a look elsewhere while TS had the chance to prove himself in training etc.

Presumably, finance would have been a major factor in him being signed, too.

#20 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2017 - 12:43 PM

View Postmartatcross, on 03 May 2017 - 10:22 AM, said:

Well at the moment I don't see that other option, especially if Tommy isn't somehow miraculously restored instantly to full fitness. Maybe you could point out the better options. Letting a good keeper go at this moment in time could, IMO, prove to be a big mistake (in keeping with all the others).

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users