Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Impact Of Covid-19, Barnet Fc - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Impact Of Covid-19, Barnet Fc

#141 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 March 2020 - 08:20 AM

View Postazul, on 23 March 2020 - 11:02 PM, said:

Waving a thermometer in front of a face is a token gesture in the same way as spraying lamp posts with disinfectant is in a less developed country. It is for show but well done anyway. If your hotel chain is the one I think it is; well I have probably stayed in one four years ago, thank god my company paid for it. Your explanation about housekeeping probably explains my experience.

As far as being an expert is concerned, I’m not, I just read grown up newspapers that actually try to report the facts (yes even that well known left wing publication, The Times)

Regarding your bogus claim about school teachers; your post suggested it was a wide spread statistic, not an individual school. You really should be ashamed

I think you missed my original point - we were talking about it as we were concerned that our staff were turning up when not fit in order to get paid (not much more than minimum wage, before the govt announcement on support for pay, with rent to pay and not much announcement on support for that at the time).

So we did something, maybe not ideal but it made the staff happy. It was advised by our H&S consultants after discussions with sister co in Singapore and HK who have been using it. None of us are experts so all you can do is something.

Look forward to more scientific assistance. I'll be busy closing more hotels, making sure they are secure and staff are getting paid.

Have a good day.
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#142 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2020 - 10:43 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 24 March 2020 - 08:20 AM, said:

I think you missed my original point - we were talking about it as we were concerned that our staff were turning up when not fit in order to get paid (not much more than minimum wage, before the govt announcement on support for pay, with rent to pay and not much announcement on support for that at the time).

So we did something, maybe not ideal but it made the staff happy. It was advised by our H&S consultants after discussions with sister co in Singapore and HK who have been using it. None of us are experts so all you can do is something.

Look forward to more scientific assistance. I'll be busy closing more hotels, making sure they are secure and staff are getting paid.

Have a good day.

Out of interest, Ian, my wife has a doctor's appointment tomorrow. They have just rung from the surgery to say that she has to stand outside where they will take her temperature before allowing her into the premises as a precaution.

This post has been edited by dtp: 24 March 2020 - 10:43 AM

#143 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:38 AM

View Postdtp, on 24 March 2020 - 10:43 AM, said:

Out of interest, Ian, my wife has a doctor's appointment tomorrow. They have just rung from the surgery to say that she has to stand outside where they will take her temperature before allowing her into the premises as a precaution.

Indeed, just seen a piece on the news from a european country where they were using thermometers to check temp before letting people on to public transport. Its not a perfect measure but nothing is and you do your best...

I have probably been very unreasonable at times on this thread - sleep would be a good help. As would trying to get the world to stand still long enough for me to actually finalise something!
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#144 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2020 - 11:45 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 24 March 2020 - 11:38 AM, said:

Indeed, just seen a piece on the news from a european country where they were using thermometers to check temp before letting people on to public transport. Its not a perfect measure but nothing is and you do your best...

I have probably been very unreasonable at times on this thread - sleep would be a good help. As would trying to get the world to stand still long enough for me to actually finalise something!

As you say, Ian, you can only do your best.

And, it seems you are doing. Keep your chin up.

#145 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:24 PM

Some good news at last.

Jogged past Brampton Lidl this morning (around half nine) to see if pretty quiet. Same when my route took me past Town Tesco and Aldi, too.

Certainly none of the crazed panic buying of recent times.

I ran through an equally subdued town centre too, where the Market Hall was not only open but had hand sanitizer dispensing lads on the door ensuring one-at-a-time entrance. Well done CBC. The fruit and veg stall was also open and fully stocked.

So here's my point. I use these and similar outlets most weeks - okay, possibly a little dearer than some supermarkets, but I'll argue tooth and nail the stuff tastes better! - and now more than ever they'll come into their own. No mad melees. No empty shelves. Organised and ordered with everyone respecting CV19 protocols. And we're putting money into the pockets of Chesterfield folk.

Another thing - why not walk into Town and help keep the roads clear? Helping reduce supermarket queues aswell? Why not designate that as your daily, government advised exercise? Surely it's a win all 'round.

Anyway, here endeth the sermon. Keep your distance and keep well.

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 24 March 2020 - 01:26 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#146 User is offline   BurySpireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:House, CFC & Reddit.

Newcastle based doc

RIP Bury FC + Barry Chuckle

Posted 24 March 2020 - 01:45 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 24 March 2020 - 01:24 PM, said:

Some good news at last.

Jogged past Brampton Lidl this morning (around half nine) to see if pretty quiet. Same when my route took me past Town Tesco and Aldi, too.

I ran through an equally subdued town centre too, where the Market Hall was not only open but had hand sanitizer dispensing lads on the door ensuring one-at-a-time entrance. Well done CBC. The fruit and veg stall was also open and fully stocked.

So here's my point. I use these and similar outlets most weeks - okay, possibly a little dearer than some supermarkets, but I'll argue tooth and nail the stuff tastes better! - and now more than ever they'll come into their own. No mad melees. No empty shelves. Organised and ordered with everyone respecting CV19 protocols. And we're putting money into the pockets of Chesterfield folk.

Another thing - why not walk into Town and help keep the roads clear? Helping reduce supermarket queues aswell? Why not designate that as your daily, government advised exercise? Surely it's a win all 'round.

>Another thing - why not walk into Town and help keep the roads clear?

Dunno about the roads in town but seems to me you're at much more risk to yourself and others if everyone's walking into town than walking somewhere quiet and secluded, also why keep the roads clear? One of the only ways people can leave the house without risk of infecting others is driving.
I just don't know what I'm supposed to be

#147 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2020 - 02:41 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 24 March 2020 - 01:24 PM, said:

Some good news at last.

I'll agree about the fruit and veg tasting better, when we lived on Brampton I would bike in on a Saturday morning to pick up things but unfortunately with a little one and other things its just time i dont have these days so its just easier to get it on the shopping delivery.

#148 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2020 - 06:13 PM

View PostBurySpireite, on 24 March 2020 - 01:45 PM, said:

>Another thing - why not walk into Town and help keep the roads clear?

Dunno about the roads in town but seems to me you're at much more risk to yourself and others if everyone's walking into town than walking somewhere quiet and secluded, also why keep the roads clear? One of the only ways people can leave the house without risk of infecting others is driving.

True, but what happens if you have an accident? No one thinks it's gonna happen until it does - then they're potentially using vital NHS facilities. Then what about the interactions when getting petrol? A breakdown?

I found it very easy to keep distances on my run and can only think it'd be just as easy on a walk.

#149 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 24 March 2020 - 06:32 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 24 March 2020 - 06:13 PM, said:

True, but what happens if you have an accident? No one thinks it's gonna happen until it does - then they're potentially using vital NHS facilities. Then what about the interactions when getting petrol? A breakdown?

I found it very easy to keep distances on my run and can only think it'd be just as easy on a walk.

Probably bollux and very fake news, but somebody told me today that petrol pump handles are a major source of contagion, as are supermarket trolley handles.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#150 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2020 - 07:49 PM

View Postdim view, on 24 March 2020 - 06:32 PM, said:

Probably bollux and very fake news, but somebody told me today that petrol pump handles are a major source of contagion, as are supermarket trolley handles.

And, that is one of the reasons why people are wearing protective/surgical gloves.

#151 User is offline   BurySpireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:House, CFC & Reddit.

Newcastle based doc

RIP Bury FC + Barry Chuckle

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:14 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 24 March 2020 - 06:13 PM, said:

The average burden of any given person driving on NHS resources is negligible. Wear gloves when getting petrol or shopping, anywhere you're touching lots of surfaces touched by others or at the very least use hand sanitiser regularly. The risk of one person walking somewhere secluded is low but still higher than someone sitting in their car, you can't guarantee you won't encounter other people or transmit droplets onto a surface as long as you're outside. A major thing is trying to minimise number of shops by getting your week's worth at once (without hording) to minimise multiple visits for bits and bobs... hence I'm annoyed that we've got everything except ham, no sarnies for me for a week
I just don't know what I'm supposed to be

#152 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2020 - 12:54 AM

It is clearly not bollux

https://www.bbc.com/...ast-on-surfaces

But are petrol pumps handles any worse than any other similarily touched surfaces?

Whats stuns me is that more definative research hasn't taken place. I read three weeks ago about how he American CDC were doing urgent research into how long the virus lives on various materials at various temperatures. I doubt they were the first to think of this kind of research but over 3 months after the first ourbreak results seem inconclusive and/or not that widely publicised.

One of the early cases in the UK were two Heathrow baggage handlers, coincidence?

https://www.standard...s-a4380676.html

This post has been edited by azul: 25 March 2020 - 01:12 AM

Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#153 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2020 - 09:13 AM

The mixed messages continue.

Monday night's instructions a were pretty clear - stay at home unless yours' is deemed an essential role. Great, a couple of weeks behind other countries, but decisive action at last. However yesterday saw thousands upon thousands of construction workers turning up at sites. In an environment where it's impossible to observe social distancing. So the government response?

Change the official instruction from 'vital workers only' to 'work from home but otherwise take precautions'.

And I've just watched Tory MP Robert Jenrick snub several opportunities to explain the u-turn on GMTV.

Remember that builders will use public transport, too. Remember theirs' is a dangerous profession potentially using NHS resources. Remember many self employed sparks and chippies and brickies have no financial safety net, either.

My fear is Johnson and Co are following Trump's 'Don't let the cure be worse than the disease' attitude. People need a simple, straightforward 'Get Corona crushed' style clarification leaving no room or such doubts.

#154 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2020 - 10:04 PM

Money is the big spreader

#155 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:01 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 25 March 2020 - 09:13 AM, said:

Monday night's instructions a were pretty clear - stay at home unless yours' is deemed an essential role. Great, a couple of weeks behind other countries, but decisive action at last. However yesterday saw thousands upon thousands of construction workers turning up at sites. In an environment where it's impossible to observe social distancing. So the government response?

Change the official instruction from 'vital workers only' to 'work from home but otherwise take precautions'.

And I've just watched Tory MP Robert Jenrick snub several opportunities to explain the u-turn on GMTV.

Remember that builders will use public transport, too. Remember theirs' is a dangerous profession potentially using NHS resources. Remember many self employed sparks and chippies and brickies have no financial safety net, either.

My fear is Johnson and Co are following Trump's 'Don't let the cure be worse than the disease' attitude. People need a simple, straightforward 'Get Corona crushed' style clarification leaving no room or such doubts.

The confusion is quite mind boggling and every time they try to clarify the advise they seem to muddy the water further.

I thought Hancock was spectacular; in the morning massive good news story about millions of anti-body testing kits, just for the good news story to picked apart by early evening

This post has been edited by azul: 25 March 2020 - 11:15 PM

Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#156 User is online   spireiterob 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 March 2020 - 11:13 PM

View Postazul, on 25 March 2020 - 11:01 PM, said:

The confusion is quite mind boggling and every time they try to clarify the advise they seem to muddy the water further.

'herd immunity' by the back door. 'We did tell them to not go out didn't we?'

This post has been edited by spireiterob: 25 March 2020 - 11:20 PM

CFC

#157 User is offline   DerbySpireite59 

• DerbySpireite57
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:01 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 25 March 2020 - 09:13 AM, said:

I suspect that the construction industry was purposefully left alone alone. It has a lot of self employed, which h would be a massive financial burden on the government under its current rules. That said, building outside is not as dangerous as building (first and 2nd fix, fit out etc.) works inside. This should bea definer.
"No one is 100% good, nor 100% evil"

#158 User is offline   DerbySpireite59 

• DerbySpireite57
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:06 AM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 25 March 2020 - 10:04 PM, said:

Money is the big spreader

Totally agree. I suspect that we may be seeing the start of the end for cash, and a lot of bank branches not re-opening.
"No one is 100% good, nor 100% evil"

#159 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:05 AM

View PostDerbySpireite56, on 26 March 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

Totally agree. I suspect that we may be seeing the start of the end for cash, and a lot of bank branches not re-opening.

Are we actually saying that inserting a card into a machine then pressing at least four buttons with one's hands after numerous other people have done that immediately before us is safer?

#160 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:45 AM

View Postdtp, on 26 March 2020 - 09:05 AM, said:

Are we actually saying that inserting a card into a machine then pressing at least four buttons with one's hands after numerous other people have done that immediately before us is safer?

No we are saying where possible use contactless and even then gel your hands when you come out the shop

Share this topic:

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users