• You cannot reply to this topic

Man Of The Match

#81 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:31 PM

View Posth again, on 31 March 2015 - 08:09 PM, said:

Well you might have gathered I don't rate either of them highly, though both are decent defenders. All I'm saying is that they have a much easier time than you'd expect because Ryan and Morsy take the heat off early, and if they didn't we'd really struggle.
Given the quality of those two we might even get away with the same defence next season, but I doubt they'll both be here, the replacement/s may not be the same standard, and in any case I think we need a lot more pace in central defence.

But if they keep a clean sheet tonight I might have to re-think.

Quite a U-turn then. Since you always had the highest regard for Evatt and the lowest regard for Hird. Nothing wrong with changing your opinions, but you might have been big enough to admit it :D

#82 User is offline   BodieUK 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:14 PM

View PostBankrobber, on 31 March 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

Tonight's belters? They were all good but take a bow Sam Hird, Evo, Tendayi, Drew & Sam Morsy.

Ritchie Humphreys was magnificent. MOTM for me
Twitter: Bodie0402

#83 User is offline   Humpalumpa 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 March 2015 - 11:41 PM

View PostBankrobber, on 31 March 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

Tonight's belters? They were all good but take a bow Sam Hird, Evo, Tendayi, Drew & Sam Morsy.

Jimmy Ryan , Tendayi for me along with all the other's.
Roberts struggled not surprisingly with the pitch but still showed plenty of effort and commitment.
The pride of Derbyshire

#84 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:16 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 31 March 2015 - 09:26 PM, said:

Tonight's joke post? Do you have a Hird doll at home into which you stick pins?

So you don't think we need more pace in central defence? Who exactly is joking here?

Don't be so infantile when somebody posts legitimate and reasoned criticism of your hero. Reply by listing his strengths, assuming you think he has any. It's what the Board's for.

#85 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:24 PM

View Posth again, on 01 April 2015 - 08:16 PM, said:

So you don't think we need more pace in central defence? Who exactly is joking here?

Don't be so infantile when somebody posts legitimate and reasoned criticism of your hero. Reply by listing his strengths, assuming you think he has any. It's what the Board's for.

Legitimacy comes with the approval of the majority, not just in your mind. I know from your previous posts, it's not only Hird's pace you question, its virtually everything about his game. As I have said before, its sad.

#86 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:26 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 31 March 2015 - 10:31 PM, said:

Quite a U-turn then. Since you always had the highest regard for Evatt and the lowest regard for Hird. Nothing wrong with changing your opinions, but you might have been big enough to admit it :D

I had the highest regard for Evatt? I'll have one of whatever you're drinking.

I'd certainly play him before Hird in most games, especially where we're up against a big forward line, or in a scrap like last night, but I've always been of the opinion that neither of them are quick enough to deal with any side with fairly speedy forwards who move the ball about, which is why Ryan and Morsy are so vital in protecting them.

Just my opinion, of course. You should try opinions some time, instead of simply trying to be clever, though you deserve credit for attempting the impossible.

#87 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:32 PM

View Posth again, on 01 April 2015 - 08:26 PM, said:

I'd certainly play him before Hird in most games, especially where we're up against a big forward line, or in a scrap like last night, but I've always been of the opinion that neither of them are quick enough to deal with any side with fairly speedy forwards who move the ball about, which is why Ryan and Morsy are so vital in protecting them.

Just my opinion, of course. You should try opinions some time, instead of simply trying to be clever, though you deserve credit for attempting the impossible.

Better defenders will cost more money. Simple really. Both Evatt and Hird are perfectly adequate-to-decent League One defenders with strengths and faults.

#88 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:33 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 01 April 2015 - 08:24 PM, said:

Legitimacy comes with the approval of the majority, not just in your mind. I know from your previous posts, it's not only Hird's pace you question, its virtually everything about his game. As I have said before, its sad.

Makes Hitler look a good bet then, doesn't it?

Instead of talking rubbish, why don't you enter into a reasonable debate and tell us why you rate him so highly.

What's really sad is people who can't string an argument together so just whinge.

#89 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2015 - 08:48 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 01 April 2015 - 08:32 PM, said:

Better defenders will cost more money. Simple really. Both Evatt and Hird are perfectly adequate-to-decent League One defenders with strengths and faults.

I'd say adequate if you put two first-class defensive midfielders in front of them, and even so we get some hair-raising moments - though to be fair, so do most sides.
And adequate doesn't do it for me. We should have at least one central defender who cuts the commanding figure that Steve Blatherwick, Bomber Williams, Sean Dyche, Ian Breckin or Evatt (first time) showed us on a regular basis. That isn't too much to ask for at our level and spending power, but can you say that either of our two looks likely to rise to those heights? Just to mention the names tells the story.
I don't criticise for the sake of it, and Hird and Evatt in particular have some good games behind them, especially last night, but we need to do better.

This post has been edited by h again: 01 April 2015 - 08:49 PM

#90 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2015 - 09:29 PM

I'd certainly play him before Hird in most games,

reverting back to type I see. then you complain when your called a turd.

View Posth again, on 01 April 2015 - 08:33 PM, said:

Makes Hitler look a good bet then, doesn't it?

Instead of talking rubbish, why don't you enter into a reasonable debate

oh the irony.

Go and waste bandwidth on something else you objectionable old fool

A new hope.

#91 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:42 PM

As imitation is the most sincere form of praise I should be glad that you are now voicing my oft-stated opinions as your own. For so long you lauded Evatt as the real-deal commanding CB without a decent partner. Hird was just a wilting flower not worthy of partnering him in your opinion. However, it was pointed out by a number of posters including myself that Evatt was rather suspect on the floor. It was only when this fact became undeniable from his performances in certain games that your rating of him became noticably diluted. And now you no longer regard him highly, just "decent". Moving on to Hird, I have been one of his supporters while you have been his greatest critic bar none - and by some margin. However, Hird has been putting in good performances - as has been pointed out by a number of posters, not least myself. It's so obvious you have now had to reluctantly and perhaps begrudgingly accept it. You therefore now rate him as "decent" - same as Evatt. Funny that you are now adopting my description of both of these players - as decent L1 CBs but no more - as your own! It's no wonder you expose yourself to so much ridicule. You'd probably be well advised to continue copying opinions as the ones you think up are truly bizarre. You have watched football for so many years but your own judgement of players and the game is laughable. Thanks for the entertainment and keep em coming. Age without wisdom eh?

#92 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:23 PM

What are the goals against/points won stats with each central defensive pairing this season?

Hird & Evatt won't show too badly at all in that I dare say.

#93 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 02 April 2015 - 05:59 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 01 April 2015 - 11:23 PM, said:

What are the goals against/points won stats with each central defensive pairing this season?

Hird & Evatt won't show too badly at all in that I dare say.

Im not sure what the h again bashing is all about , he points out that pace is a problem with hird and evatt, id bet even the players would admit that, neither have got any at all , but of the 2 hird for me is the player with the longevity at town because he is a ball player, the player that should replace evatt in the longrun is raglan, im not sure why charlie has been dropped or if he has a small niggle thats not worth risking but he will be the one to fill evatts boots.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#94 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Its fair to say i have a passing interest in chesterfield fc!

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:15 AM

View PostErwan dsihounou, on 02 April 2015 - 05:59 AM, said:

Im not sure what the h again bashing is all about , he points out that pace is a problem with hird and evatt, id bet even the players would admit that, neither have got any at all , but of the 2 hird for me is the player with the longevity at town because he is a ball player, the player that should replace evatt in the longrun is raglan, im not sure why charlie has been dropped or if he has a small niggle thats not worth risking but he will be the one to fill evatts boots.

Shocked as I am...I totally agree!

If we are to progress next season unfortunately it's evatt who will have to make way. He has good games but they are generally against the bigger slower forwards where he can use his nouse in a physical battle, but he really struggles against anyone with pace these days.

Cook must have his reasons but I am mystified by Raglans fall from grace, he had one iffy game and hasn't been seen since! He looks every inch the quality centre half we need for the future and I hope he gets his chance again soon as for me the defence looked better with him in it.

Obviously Margeritter would be a cracking signing if we could afford him....
BRITISH BY BIRTH - ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

#95 User is offline   Xerxes 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:34 AM

View PostMiddle East, on 02 April 2015 - 06:15 AM, said:

Cook must have his reasons but I am mystified by Raglans fall from grace, he had one iffy game and hasn't been seen since! He looks every inch the quality centre half we need for the future and I hope he gets his chance again soon as for me the defence looked better with him in it.

I'm sure PC referred to Raglan carrying a niggle in one of his interviews so I don't think he's 100% fit

#96 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Its fair to say i have a passing interest in chesterfield fc!

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:00 AM

View PostXerxes, on 02 April 2015 - 06:34 AM, said:

I'm sure PC referred to Raglan carrying a niggle in one of his interviews so I don't think he's 100% fit

Aaahh thanks I hadn't heard that, it certainly would make his absence more understandable!
BRITISH BY BIRTH - ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

#97 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 02 April 2015 - 07:36 AM

It's not so much what he says as the way he says it that winds certain people up.

#98 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 02 April 2015 - 08:48 AM

View PostMiddle East, on 02 April 2015 - 06:15 AM, said:

Shocked as I am...I totally agree!

If we are to progress next season unfortunately it's evatt who will have to make way. He has good games but they are generally against the bigger slower forwards where he can use his nouse in a physical battle, but he really struggles against anyone with pace these days.

Obviously Margeritter would be a cracking signing if we could afford him....

Evatt is nearing the end of his career but he's still a useful option for a L1 club such as ours. Hird has plenty of mileage left in him. He's not the quickest but he's not the slowest and he is a threat at the other end of the field (Evatt has been disappointing in that regard). Hird also reads the game well, as many have pointed out. CBs dont have to be built like outhouses to be effective, as a certain poster believes. Margreitter isnt a colossus but he is a better than what we have and I agree he would be a good signing. Raglan is a great prospect and perhaps unlucky to be out, unless he has been injured for ages. We will need a left sided CB, whether the Wolves loanee can be that player I know not as I haven't seen him play.

#99 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:52 AM

Apart from the disaster against Coventry, when Evo's mistake (combined with others') cost us a goal, we've conceded 1 goal in 6 games. Evo should be up for player of the month. That's the reason Charlie can't get his place back and which chumps would change a defence with that record?. Fishini?. Tim on Peak?.

I'm sat there last week watching Fleetwood v Preston thinking 'bluddddy hell, these defenders are no better than ours'. If I could choose any of them, from both teams, I'd have Preston's goalie and left back, that's it.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#100 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 02 April 2015 - 10:18 AM

View Postdim view, on 02 April 2015 - 09:52 AM, said:

Apart from the disaster against Coventry, when Evo's mistake (combined with others') cost us a goal, we've conceded 1 goal in 6 games. Evo should be up for player of the month. That's the reason Charlie can't get his place back and which chumps would change a defence with that record?. Fishini?. Tim on Peak?.

I'm sat there last week watching Fleetwood v Preston thinking 'bluddddy hell, these defenders are no better than ours'. If I could choose any of them, from both teams, I'd have Preston's goalie and left back, that's it.

Watch any Premier League game, and you can run an argument that virtually every goal scored, is a goal poorly conceded- players unmarked, poor challenges, poor positioning and keeper errors (see Chelsea's Thibaut Courtois's error against Hull). As you say, we have conceded only one in six, let's rejoice at that. Evo seems to have come back a different player after the Coventry game. Hird is playing as well as he ever has for us. No, they are not Premier League players, but they seem to be doing at lot right at our level.

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users