• You cannot reply to this topic

Super Sammy Morsy

#61 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 August 2015 - 08:38 PM

View PostMac, on 28 August 2015 - 05:56 PM, said:

A disappointing price for a great player in his last year in my book. What are the odds that in a few years' time it transpires that we've sold ourselves short with a few of those?

Can't forsee the future, we have to live in the here and now.
God I hate this league.

#62 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:22 PM

If Sammy is to be sold can Dean have some of it to Sign a RB? As we have diddly squat at RB. It is our Achilles heel
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#63 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:29 PM

View Postfishini, on 28 August 2015 - 06:51 PM, said:

What is your definition of progress? Progress to me is we finish higher than last season. Do you think we will? If we don't will it be deemed regression?

The club would say it was transition

#64 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:39 PM

Interesting to note that one of Brighton fans said it's nothing more than a rumour and doubts that he would get into the first team if he joined them. They are so up themselves aren't they.

This post has been edited by Bowzer spirey: 28 August 2015 - 09:39 PM

#65 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:10 PM

View Postfishini, on 28 August 2015 - 06:51 PM, said:

What is your definition of progress? Progress to me is we finish higher than last season. Do you think we will? If we don't will it be deemed regression?

I've been reading this thread, I have to say that I find it both disappointing and amusing.
Disappointing because Sam Morsy is worth at least another £500,000 minimum on top of this "bid".
Amusing because after 30yrs of watching Chesterfield we have (had) players worth £1m+ and we are bemoaning about how are players are going on the cheap. Saltergate only dreamt about these players, yet weve had at least three go for this price.
Are we really hard done to? As supporters are we really having that bad compared to how we have had it? Obviously it isn't but the other question I need to ask is that when we under John Sheridan's reign in league one would we have been upset at having the team we have now? Would we have been confident of staying up with the players we have now got or is it because we have been "spoilt" by the team we have had?
I'm pi**ed off that our players are being sold but we are actually selling players nowadays and not just releasing players that are making the grand step down to non league.
Now any way you look at it that is progression.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#66 User is offline   Tylerdurdencfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2015 - 10:34 PM

I understand what you are saying and yes we are a bit spoilt, however we live in a time now of extortionately over exaggerated fees throughout football.

The four players that have left for big money aren't the best players we have ever had, none of them aren't in the best five of the last twenty five years, plenty of players in the past would have been worth a lot more in the current climate.

This post has been edited by Tylerdurdencfc: 28 August 2015 - 10:34 PM

#67 User is offline   Jud 

• One Club Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2015 - 12:16 AM

View Postmetallilad, on 28 August 2015 - 10:10 PM, said:

I'm pi**ed off that our players are being sold but we are actually selling players nowadays and not just releasing players that are making the grand step down to non league.

Can't argue with that, chap. So I won't.
"Tha'd have known if l'd got hold o' thee...."

#68 User is offline   Mr_Pleasant 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:03 AM

I've been reading this thread, I have to say that I find it both disappointing and amusing.
Disappointing because Sam Morsy is worth at least another £500,000 minimum on top of this "bid".
Amusing because after 30yrs of watching Chesterfield we have (had) players worth £1m+ and we are bemoaning about how are players are going on the cheap. Saltergate only dreamt about these players, yet weve had at least three go for this price.
Are we really hard done to? As supporters are we really having that bad compared to how we have had it? Obviously it isn't but the other question I need to ask is that when we under John Sheridan's reign in league one would we have been upset at having the team we have now? Would we have been confident of staying up with the players we have now got or is it because we have been "spoilt" by the team we have had?

Very good points.

As someone who started watching Town in the 80s, when many of our players' next stop after leaving us was Goole Town or similar, I still get a bit of a buzz from seeing a player, developed at our club, go to a higher division club for at least a good six figure sum.

Purely as a fan of the football club, I don't like the fact that we have sold so many good players in the last year. However, if Morsy goes for this supposed figure of £1m, that will be around £4.5m of player sold in a year. If he doesn't go, that's still £3.5m (Maths fans). Has there ever been a club in the bottom 2 divisions that could afford to keep hold of players in that kind of situation?

#69 User is offline   dazcarrlegend 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:17 AM

Once we get into the black, perhaps we will be able to make different decisions regarding selling. For now, this is our reality.

If we sell morsy for £1m, we wre then one good cup run away from being debt-free, owing our own fantasic stadium, with an increased fan base and a flow of youngsters actually knocking on the door of the first team.

Good times in my eyes!

#70 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:04 PM

View PostTylerdurdencfc, on 28 August 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

I understand what you are saying and yes we are a bit spoilt, however we live in a time now of extortionately over exaggerated fees throughout football.

The four players that have left for big money aren't the best players we have ever had, none of them aren't in the best five of the last twenty five years, plenty of players in the past would have been worth a lot more in the current climate.

In the past twenty yrs I can think of two (possibly three) players that would've commanded a fee of £1m.
Kev Davies.
Mark Williams.
(Dodgy 3rd) Mike Pollitt.

Other than those I'm struggling with anymore.

This post has been edited by metallilad: 29 August 2015 - 01:04 PM

Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#71 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:06 PM

Maybe billy mercer
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#72 User is offline   BozaSpireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:17 PM

Good sign he's playing today means no deal done yet

#73 User is offline   Nerima Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Yumeka
    Tahn
    The Universe & Life
    Learning & growth
    Animals
    アニメ・漫画
    Japanese music

Posted 29 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

Excellent post

View Postdazcarrlegend, on 29 August 2015 - 07:17 AM, said:

Once we get into the black, perhaps we will be able to make different decisions regarding selling. For now, this is our reality.

If we sell morsy for £1m, we wre then one good cup run away from being debt-free, owing our own fantasic stadium, with an increased fan base and a flow of youngsters actually knocking on the door of the first team.

Good times in my eyes!

It would be nice to see some major progression in the debt reduction in the next years' balance sheet. There'd blooming better be anyhow! As someone said above earlier, what is really needed is a profitable trading company...
頑張れ日本!!!

#74 User is offline   Tylerdurdencfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2015 - 02:02 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 29 August 2015 - 01:04 PM, said:

In the past twenty yrs I can think of two (possibly three) players that would've commanded a fee of £1m.
Kev Davies.
Mark Williams.
(Dodgy 3rd) Mike Pollitt.

Other than those I'm struggling with anymore.

That's the point it depends how you are comparing, whether you're stating they'd be worth a million pound then or now etc.

Clucas went for £1.3 million, Kevin Davies was far better, younger and did it in big games. He would have gone for well over £2 million in the current climate.
Cooper went for £750,000 not in Bombers league I'm afraid.
Doyle as many as he scored isn't anywhere near as good as Craig Davies was.
Super jack by far the best player we've had in the last twenty five years.
Billy mercer, Politt, how much would they have gone for in the current climate.
Dyche and Dutch again better players than the crop that have just gone.
Brechin first time round better than cooper.

It all depends on circumstances, we would get more for morsy than Clucas if the length of his contract was longer etc.

#75 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 29 August 2015 - 08:01 PM

He's staying!
(In my opinion after starting today)

#76 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:15 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 29 August 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

He's staying!
(In my opinion after starting today)

As of Tuesday this week, that was his mrs' opinion too (before the Brighton rumours started).
Here we go again!

#77 User is offline   Spireite since 78 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield Football Club,
    Heroes - Captain Scarlett,Brian Clough,
    Dynamo Magician, Jack Lester and Dave Waller.

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:46 AM

View PostTylerdurdencfc, on 29 August 2015 - 02:02 PM, said:

That's the point it depends how you are comparing, whether you're stating they'd be worth a million pound then or now etc.

Clucas went for £1.3 million, Kevin Davies was far better, younger and did it in big games. He would have gone for well over £2 million in the current climate.
Cooper went for £750,000 not in Bombers league I'm afraid.
Doyle as many as he scored isn't anywhere near as good as Craig Davies was.
Super jack by far the best player we've had in the last twenty five years.
Billy mercer, Politt, how much would they have gone for in the current climate.
Dyche and Dutch again better players than the crop that have just gone.
Brechin first time round better than cooper.

It all depends on circumstances, we would get more for morsy than Clucas if the length of his contract was longer etc.

Can't argue with any of that,
We are all town aren't we ..................

#78 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:47 AM

View Postdazcarrlegend, on 29 August 2015 - 07:17 AM, said:

Good times in my eyes!

It must be a cup run in the champions league then
A new hope.

#79 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:57 PM

Biggs on twitter

@AlanBiggs1: Hear a Brighton bid for Sam Morsy still on cards. Ongoing from Championship leaders. Think Chesterfield will aim to reinvest if sale forced.

This post has been edited by jonnythespireite: 30 August 2015 - 02:57 PM

YOU CHOOSE YOUR LEADERS AND PLACE YOUR TRUST AS THEIR LIES WASH YOU DOWN AND THEIR PROMISES RUST.

#80 User is offline   starsky72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 August 2015 - 03:12 PM

Alas selling this late in the window gives very little time... Unless of course the club gamble on him going/staying and act accordingly.

Even if he stays we still need more defensive options, it all comes down to ££

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users