• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

League One next season

#1 User is offline   The_Magic_Man 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:56 PM

Taking into consideration the quality of teams that have come into and gone out o this division, what standard do we expect for next season?

I think that last season was a fairly open league. It was often said that any team can beat anyone in the league and I'd pretty much agree with that. However, I think it's going to be even more open than that. Wrexham were unlucky, Torquay had quality whereas (from what I have seen) the teams coming up are not as decent as the teams who came up last season (Donny, Hull, Huddersfield).

Do we then expect to try and push quite high up in the table next season? I think the oppotunity is there anyway. And with a few more quality signings, as Hall was, we could really mount a challenge.

#2 User is offline   SpireiteDan 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:03 PM

It all depends on the players that we bring in!

#3 Guest_Mr. Motivator_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:07 PM

I reckon we'll be happy with a mid table finish next year

#4 User is offline   Spireite_UK 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:07 PM

Another relegation battle I'm afraid. Unless Roy works miracles before the start of the season.

#5 User is offline   Sherman 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:16 PM

The_Magic_Man, on Jun 8 2005, 08:56 PM, said:

Taking into consideration the quality of teams that have come into and gone out o this division, what standard do we expect for next season?

I think that last season was a fairly open league. It was often said that any team can beat anyone in the league and I'd pretty much agree with that. However, I think it's going to be even more open than that. Wrexham were unlucky, Torquay had quality whereas (from what I have seen) the teams coming up are not as decent as the teams who came up last season (Donny, Hull, Huddersfield).

Do we then expect to try and push quite high up in the table next season? I think the oppotunity is there anyway. And with a few more quality signings, as Hall was, we could really mount a challenge.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree with you about the teams coming up - don't see any of them as a particular threat although you always get a surprise or two.

Of those coming down, you'd expect Forest to do well but can't see the other two being up to much.

Of the rest, Bristol City should be up there (though they never quite make it).

Anyone else to be worried about? I don't think so and if we can make some more signings of the quality of todays, I'd be hopeful of seeing us push on. Mid table should be do-able.

#6 User is offline   DMU Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:42 PM

Bristol city will be very strong. good frontline if Lita and Stewart upfront. Surly its there year this time. think forest will end up just out of play-offs. think they mite have a slow start
Up the Blues

#7 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:55 PM

IF Roy can come up with a keeper signing and a midfield signing as good as his Hall coup, then I really think we can be optimistic for next season. I was already convinced that our strikers would come good, and now they'll have an extra source for assists, so I reckon we could be optimistic and aim high - for a play-off position. I do stress, though, that we MUST have a good attacking midfielder and another centre back, as well as a keeper if we are going to have a real chance of a high finishing position.

#8 User is offline   Cosmo Kramer 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:56 PM

I think that Forest will have the same sort of problems that Wendies had when they came down to our level (refreshingly quiet without Mr Richardson pestering us about them every other day isn't it?). I.e a lot of upheavel with many players going out and coming in, although they are doing their best to keep the previous wage structure in place by keeping ticket prices at comparative levels to last season (dig deep for that ticket folks!! you think Swindon are having a laugh). I reckon that bearing that in mind, they'll struggle until they have some team understanding so I expect them to get stronger after christmas.

Of the rest, you have to say that Brizzle will be very stong going forward next year. Tranmere may well also push on that extra step, although without Paul Hall they may not have a prayer! :huh:
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

#9 Guest_Alex Green_*

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:40 AM

sophocles, on Jun 8 2005, 09:55 PM, said:

IF Roy can come up with a keeper signing and a midfield signing as good as his Hall coup, <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If he can get Clingan and Fulop i'l be happy then i'll be off down the bookies putting £50 on a playoff spot.

#10 User is offline   Majorca Mac 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:09 AM

Sherman, on Jun 8 2005, 08:16 PM, said:

Agree with you about the teams coming up - don't see any of them as a particular threat although you always get a surprise or two.

Of those coming down, you'd expect Forest to do well but can't see the other two being up to much.

Of the rest, Bristol City should be up there (though they never quite make it).

Anyone else to be worried about? I don't think so and if we can make some more signings of the quality of todays, I'd be hopeful of seeing us push on. Mid table should be do-able.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think Donny will be there or thereabouts. And I'd expect Whingeing Ronnie to assemble his customary collection of Neanderthals and get Oldham in or around the play-offs. Just hope we can defy the odds and maintain a sufficiently lofty position to ward off any nail-biting. The new loan restrictions will be a massive test for those on a shoe-string and I believe luck will play a big part. We're due a bit...

#11 Guest_The Chief_*

Posted 09 June 2005 - 05:15 PM

I believe if we can sign the likes of clingan,larkin,ugarte e.t.c we can be up there

#12 User is offline   david_cfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Seeing the mighty Spireites obviously

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:51 PM

And the chances of that happening are..........................Feck All!
Come On Spireites

#13 User is offline   spireite tom 

• joke town
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:16 PM

The Chief, on Jun 9 2005, 05:15 PM, said:

I believe if we can sign the likes of clingan,larkin,ugarte e.t.c we can be up there
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We wont Larkin is the only possibilty,wish we could get the other two though!! :D
Spireite til i die

#14 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:19 PM

Alex Green, on Jun 9 2005, 09:40 AM, said:

If he can get Clingan and Fulop i'l be happy then i'll be off down the bookies putting £50 on a playoff spot.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I reckon it's worth a punt now mate, you can probably get 50 - 1.

#15 User is offline   Sam 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Then...Now...Forever a Spireite....

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:20 PM

david_cfc, on Jun 9 2005, 07:51 PM, said:

And the chances of that happening are..........................Feck All!
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

best post of yours I've read in ages!
Reach for the moon, if you fall short you'll still be amongst the stars...

#16 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:22 PM

Spireite_UK, on Jun 8 2005, 08:07 PM, said:

Another relegation battle I'm afraid.  Unless Roy works miracles before the start of the season.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

or jamie keeps our best eleven 100% fit. no loanees for short cover gives us a real problem with our playing staff not being the biggest
A new hope.

#17 Guest_The Chief_*

Posted 10 June 2005 - 10:51 AM

I believe we can gain a top half finish

#18 Guest_Alex Green_*

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:19 AM

The Chief, on Jun 10 2005, 11:51 AM, said:

I believe we can gain a top half finish
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

now that we've made signings im more optimistic. i'll give the exact posistion after the first game.

#19 User is offline   Cosmo Kramer 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:22 AM

Alex Green, on Jun 10 2005, 12:19 PM, said:

now that we've made signings im more optimistic. i'll give the exact posistion after the first game.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crikey! Thats still plenty early enough to get a bet on. If you can tell us the exact postion then we can all look forward to making a few quid this season. I'll look forward to hearing from you. :o
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

#20 Guest_The Chief_*

Posted 10 June 2005 - 11:23 AM

Alex Green, on Jun 10 2005, 11:19 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Last seasoni thought we weregoing to get automaticpromotionafter 6 games but lookhowwrongi was

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users