Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Coronavirus Thread - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (733 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Coronavirus Thread Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 11 March 2020 - 06:34 PM

The mortality rate is higher than flu. It is more infectious than flu.
On the panic buying, if people bought just what they needed then there wouldn't be any shortages. Panic buyers are just selfish idiots.
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#22 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 11 March 2020 - 06:37 PM

Agreed. Utterly selfish pr**cks who want a good slap aside from perhaps mothers with babies in which case I can understand being a bit knee jerk.

#23 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 11 March 2020 - 06:42 PM

Saw scribbled on the back of a white van

“”NO TOILET ROLLS ARE LEFT IN THIS VAN OVERNIGHT “
JRID

#24 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 11 March 2020 - 06:58 PM

I think what, if anything, is being underestimated are the cases that are "mild" when in fact they can leave you with permanent lung damage. To try and stop a panic anything that doesnt leave you hospitalised is being classed as mild. I can see why they would do this but it is grossly underselling the severity of this virus. All those pouring scorn and taking no notice could be in for a big shock and are exacerbating the situation.

It wont be long before doctors will be choosing who lives and who dies imho.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#25 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 11 March 2020 - 07:35 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on 11 March 2020 - 06:58 PM, said:

I think what, if anything, is being underestimated are the cases that are "mild" when in fact they can leave you with permanent lung damage. To try and stop a panic anything that doesnt leave you hospitalised is being classed as mild. I can see why they would do this but it is grossly underselling the severity of this virus. All those pouring scorn and taking no notice could be in for a big shock and are exacerbating the situation.

In Italy they already are due to the lack of resperators. This virus is far worse than we are being led to believe.
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#26 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 March 2020 - 07:43 PM

https://www.telegrap...-start-grow-uk/

I find this reassuring...but TF's view very alarming.

#27 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 11 March 2020 - 07:57 PM

View PostMisnomer, on 11 March 2020 - 07:43 PM, said:

https://www.telegrap...-start-grow-uk/

I find this reassuring...but TF's view very alarming.

Mers and Sars had a higher mortality rate but a far lower infectious rate. Infact Sars was very difficult to pass on. This virus is a far more dangerous prospect due to it being highly infectious
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#28 User is offline   Nerima Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Yumeka
    Tahn
    The Universe & Life
    Learning & growth
    Animals
    アニメ・漫画
    Japanese music

Posted 11 March 2020 - 08:13 PM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 11 March 2020 - 01:36 PM, said:

I was just looking at the graph with the number of new cases

Japan seemed to be doing ok

Olympics and Euros are done for surely

Regarding the graph/figures, I’m very, very sceptical as to its accuracy/truthfulness. It might be a case of not registering mild cases as the poster said above; it might be deliberate concealment by authorities to avoid more mass panic - japan, as a democratic country, is very and increasingly getting low ratings for media and government transparency. Japan is a society built on harmony and group ethics at the expense of individuality and any threat to this harmony can cause major ruptures in its fabric. The panic buying here is already such that if you want toilet roll, tissues, sanitary goods and especially masks, you have to get lucky/have your ear to the ground (or social media) and even then start queuing hours before the store opens at 10 - often with nothing to show for it at the end. It was the same after the earthquake and the oil crisis, apparently, people panic to extremes and shelves go bare quickly - but you won’t see the brawling over bog roll that you see elsewhere - it’s just not in their psyche. This government has closed down schools and universities but because there’s a total lack of care facilities for children, the public kindergartens and nurseries are still open as closing them would mean the parents get no work done and the economy is really down the tubes. Houses are generally tiny compared to those in the West and rarely have gardens so having kids at home means no work gets done. On rainy days, they’re stuck at home bored now but on other days, these kids are filling up the parks, libraries and “jidoukan” - kind of community centres for kids to play. The latter two are indoors so, just like with the open nurseries - how can the spread of Coronavirus be effectively blocked with this piecemeal tactic of closing only primary education and above? Then, the government bred Coronavirus on the cruise ship for weeks before just letting people off - many of whom were later tested and found positive - into their communities. Then you’ve still got concerts going on and jazz bars etc not being shut and lately, in two cases, clubs in Osaka have led to people attending it coming down with Coronavirus all over Japan - god knows why they all had travelled to tiny clubs for a show, but these people caught the disease then went back to their local areas in Nagano, Tokyo, Yokohama, Kyushu and must’ve spread it out there. If the figures are true, it’s certainly not Japanese government actions that are controlling the disease; I’d wager it’s the high levels of hygiene that the public here always maintain - hand washing religiously, a culture of wearing masks against pollen etc., gargling every time you get home/arrive at work, etc. Perhaps even the lack of handshaking in favour of the traditional bow is helping prevent contagion, too.
頑張れ日本!!!

#29 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 11 March 2020 - 08:23 PM

View PostNerima Spireite, on 11 March 2020 - 08:13 PM, said:

Regarding the graph/figures, I’m very, very sceptical as to its accuracy/truthfulness.

Probably the worst example is India, currently only 64 cases recorded.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#30 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 11 March 2020 - 08:24 PM

View Postfishini, on 11 March 2020 - 05:56 PM, said:

Toilet rolls? Why? Idiot's

Fear of being quarantined for 2 weeks probably, if ya stuck in the house for 2 weeks the average family will shift a bit, though some people will be taking it to the extreme...

The story on Facebook (OK not forced to be true) about a young lad being excluded from school for a day for selling squirts of hand sanitiser for 50p a shot did make me laff tho, dell boy in the making if true... 😂😂
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#31 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:25 PM

View PostNerima Spireite, on 11 March 2020 - 08:13 PM, said:

Regarding the graph/figures, I’m very, very sceptical as to its accuracy/truthfulness. It might be a case of not registering mild cases as the poster said above; it might be deliberate concealment by authorities to avoid more mass panic - japan, as a democratic country, is very and increasingly getting low ratings for media and government transparency. Japan is a society built on harmony and group ethics at the expense of individuality and any threat to this harmony can cause major ruptures in its fabric. The panic buying here is already such that if you want toilet roll, tissues, sanitary goods and especially masks, you have to get lucky/have your ear to the ground (or social media) and even then start queuing hours before the store opens at 10 - often with nothing to show for it at the end. It was the same after the earthquake and the oil crisis, apparently, people panic to extremes and shelves go bare quickly - but you won’t see the brawling over bog roll that you see elsewhere - it’s just not in their psyche. This government has closed down schools and universities but because there’s a total lack of care facilities for children, the public kindergartens and nurseries are still open as closing them would mean the parents get no work done and the economy is really down the tubes. Houses are generally tiny compared to those in the West and rarely have gardens so having kids at home means no work gets done. On rainy days, they’re stuck at home bored now but on other days, these kids are filling up the parks, libraries and “jidoukan” - kind of community centres for kids to play. The latter two are indoors so, just like with the open nurseries - how can the spread of Coronavirus be effectively blocked with this piecemeal tactic of closing only primary education and above? Then, the government bred Coronavirus on the cruise ship for weeks before just letting people off - many of whom were later tested and found positive - into their communities. Then you’ve still got concerts going on and jazz bars etc not being shut and lately, in two cases, clubs in Osaka have led to people attending it coming down with Coronavirus all over Japan - god knows why they all had travelled to tiny clubs for a show, but these people caught the disease then went back to their local areas in Nagano, Tokyo, Yokohama, Kyushu and must’ve spread it out there. If the figures are true, it’s certainly not Japanese government actions that are controlling the disease; I’d wager it’s the high levels of hygiene that the public here always maintain - hand washing religiously, a culture of wearing masks against pollen etc., gargling every time you get home/arrive at work, etc. Perhaps even the lack of handshaking in favour of the traditional bow is helping prevent contagion, too.

Interesting stuff Nerima especially as I've booked to go to Tokyo in May, C-19 virus permitting.

I tried to send you a PM but the facility appears to be broke :-(

So if you don't mind can you email me @ moondog181@gmail.com as I'd like to ask you a few general questions about Tokyo/Japan.

#32 User is offline   Nerima Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Yumeka
    Tahn
    The Universe & Life
    Learning & growth
    Animals
    アニメ・漫画
    Japanese music

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:09 AM

Tom Hanks testing positive - I guess that’s what you could call BIG... :unsure:
頑張れ日本!!!

#33 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:46 AM

Town_Fan said:

1583953096[/url]' post='1511039']

Blimey, I didn’t know that.

Well that certainly explains a lot.
A new hope.

#34 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:55 AM

Trump bans all passenger flights from Europe. But not from the UK or Ireland. Amidst typically hypocritical comments saying the EU didn't act quickly enough (it's only a few days since he claimed the US would be down to just a couple of cases by now: there're actually over a thousand).

Yet what's stopping folk arriving here from, say, Italy then flying on?

Then the whole problem here has been the piecemeal, 'It's up to you' approach. Some kids are going to school, some kids have been withdrawn. With responses varying from accusations of truancy to complete support. Same with workers. Some are self isolating, some carrying on. Again with different responses from different employers. Some sporting events have been cancelled/postponed, yet hundreds of thousands attend Cheltenham.

Again, it's yet to be revealed if our government's approach has been inspired or crass. However I can't help feeling some sort of genie's out the bottle either way and it's far too late to put it back...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#35 User is offline   Bankrobber 

• 83 goals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Arctic Sheets and Fields of Wheat

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:21 AM

NBA season suspended in the US.

Baseball season starts in 2 weeks, surely that will get suspended as well?
The greatest miscarriage of justice since my case against the producers of the Never Ending Story

#36 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2020 - 09:51 AM

The Express reporting all schools could close from the 20th March for up to two months. Teachers told to prepare learning packs. This on the back of the news that we are probably ten days behind Italy. I can't see how football can escape and I suspect games will be played behind closed doors, delayed or the season cancelled. To be honest I'd be glad if it was.

This post has been edited by frearsghost: 12 March 2020 - 09:59 AM

#37 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:00 AM

View Postfrearsghost, on 12 March 2020 - 09:51 AM, said:

The Express reporting all schools could close from the 20th March for up to two months. Teachers told to prepare learning packs. This on the back of the news that we are probably ten days behind Italy. I can't see how football can escape and I suspect games will be played behind closed doors, delayed or the season cancelled. To be honest I'd be glad if it was.

Already talk that closed doors could start as soon as this weekend, Peterborough and Accrington chairmen saying on twitter season should be delayed then picked up with a couple of games a week from a date in April then next season delayed then caught up as time goes on. To be honest with so many clubs sailing close to the wind financially playing behind closed doors with no ticket money to keep things ticking over could be a real issue. FA\EFL will really need to step up with financial assistance for clubs. Prem League clubs wont be hit as much as ticket money is a small part of their overall finances compared to sponsorship and ticket money but Championship down it could be a real problem. Potentially curtains for the likes of Southend, Macclesfield, Oldham.

#38 User is online   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:14 AM

La Liga suspended for two weeks. The same will happen here surely?

#39 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:21 AM

View Posthilly81, on 12 March 2020 - 11:14 AM, said:

La Liga suspended for two weeks. The same will happen here surely?

Seems to be on the back of the Real Madrid players having to self isolate due to one of the Real Madrid basketball team players testing positive for the virus.

#40 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 12 March 2020 - 12:46 PM

Maclaren pull out of this week's grand prix,..
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

Share this topic:

• (733 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users