• You cannot reply to this topic

County Thread

#261 User is offline   h again 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:12 PM

View Postdim view, on 21 November 2020 - 08:36 PM, said:

I've not watched it. Are you saying Evans was at fault or not?

Yes, and no.

Sorry , couldn't resist that. The entire defence were at fault, in that they all switched off, and as Evans is supposed to be the leader, let alone the man who's supposed to get the high balls in that area, he was at fault. When we get to see the highlights it might be that somebody else should have taken the responsibility, but my money's on Evans. If Tom Denton didn't clear almost all the dead ball attacks from the area we'd be in real trouble.

And while I'm on the subject, Evans wasn't responsible for their first, but as captain he should have made sure that their bloke coming in to the back post didn't have a free run at the header. But we haven't had anybody doing that for the last four years at least, so I suppose he's in good company.
I'll feel more charitable in the morning.

#262 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:14 PM

View Posth again, on 21 November 2020 - 08:21 PM, said:

How many more times will the defence, and Evans in particular, just switch off after 85 minutes. They know what's coming, they know they have to concentrate and most of all they know that they have to give every last ounce of energy and not stand about picking their noses while the opposition do as they like. Two un-challenged headers in the penalty area in extra time - you couldn't imagine it in your worst nightmares, and the goalkeeper went down as slowly as the sun.
First 80 minutes was one of the best displays of the season. Weston either didn't like Pembo and set out to show he could be effective when he'd gone, or had one eye on his standing with the new manager. Either way, he upped his game 50%, and not before time. There's a lot of criticism of Boden, but he only ever gets the ball with his back to goal, despite some intelligent running, because our build-ups tend to be too slow. All the same, he should have been subbed on 80 minutes to give their defence a bit more to think about and take some of the pressure off us.
And don't let's even think about subs, misuse of. That bit of stupidity cost us the game.

Not seen today's game, but can only agree about the standard of central defending.

Infact those halcyon days of watching Sam Hird stepping foward to snuff out attacks before they formed and Ian Evatt dominating our area are now just a happy place amidst this never ending trial.

Sadly there were those who sought to scapegoat them rather than admit failings higher up. Ah well, maybe they've now got the football club they deserve...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#263 User is offline   essexspireman 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:20 PM

I don't think the new keeper helps the defense's confidence. He hasn't dived yet and I don't think I've seen him claim a high ball in the penalty area under pressure and he's a big guy.

#264 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:28 PM

It was a much better performance from our midfield, they actually got stuck in for 89mins Weston and Cropper were my players of the match. Once again Evans and Loz eventually lost the battle in the middle of our box, 2 free headers cost us the game although we had another keeper glued to his line for the equaliser (oh how I wish we'd given jahal a player coach role). Boden had a stinker for 90mins which Phil Walker was pointing out all through the game. (can't believe Dungy left Kiwomya and Butterfield out of the squad for tactical reasons..idiot). The keeper has a great kick and distribution, but 6 goals in 2 games isn't much better than Flapper Letheran., at one point he failed to come andd collect from Loz just outside the 6yd box.
There were flashes of good points in the game today, which hopefully the new manager will be able to build on. I cannot believe we have lost 7 out of 9, I was fuming yet again when we threw the game away again, surely Evans and Loz have to be dropped next week. I said I'd like to see Hollis partner Butterfield at CB, as I think the latter could turn out to be another Dwayne Mattis, they cant do much worse surely. We cant sign any more new players until at least we have a new manager so why not ggive it a try.(blame me if we lose).
lindave

#265 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:28 PM

View Postdim view, on 21 November 2020 - 08:54 PM, said:

Can't wait.
Is there any chance that the opponents purposefully directed the free kicks away from Evans's zone? Maguire has never been any good competing for a 50/50 header. Put their best header of the ball against Maguire and there's only one outcome.

Denton is the only player who can be relied upon to win defensive headers. Hollis needs to play - he is a better header of the ball than Maguire. Currently, if Denton doesn't head it nobody does.
Is the general opinion that the new keeper plays brilliant balls out with his feet but doesn't have a save in him, because that's how it looks to me. - or am I being harsh ? .

#266 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:32 PM

View Postboot, on 21 November 2020 - 10:28 PM, said:

Denton is the only player who can be relied upon to win defensive headers. Hollis needs to play - he is a better header of the ball than Maguire. Currently, if Denton doesn't head it nobody does.
Is the general opinion that the new keeper plays brilliant balls out with his feet but doesn't have a save in him, because that's how it looks to me. - or am I being harsh ? .

The new keeper catches the ball but doesn't save it, the old keeper saved it but couldn't catch it!
I'm at a loss what to say anymore.
East stand second class citizen.

#267 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:38 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 21 November 2020 - 10:14 PM, said:

Not seen today's game, but can only agree about the standard of central defending.

Infact those halcyon days of watching Sam Hird stepping foward to snuff out attacks before they formed and Ian Evatt dominating our area are now just a happy place amidst this never ending trial.

Sadly there were those who sought to scapegoat them rather than admit failings higher up. Ah well, maybe they've now got the football club they deserve...

Were they that good? Odd they should be the centre of the worst defence in leagues 1 and 2 in successive seasons with skills like that, but it's a funny old game..

#268 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:42 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 21 November 2020 - 10:32 PM, said:

The new keeper catches the ball but doesn't save it, the old keeper saved it but couldn't catch it!
I'm at a loss what to say anymore.

I'm not convinced by either keeper.
lindave

#269 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 21 November 2020 - 10:49 PM

View Postlindave, on 21 November 2020 - 10:28 PM, said:

It was a much better performance from our midfield, they actually got stuck in for 89mins Weston and Cropper were my players of the match. Once again Evans and Loz eventually lost the battle in the middle of our box, 2 free headers cost us the game although we had another keeper glued to his line for the equaliser (oh how I wish we'd given jahal a player coach role). Boden had a stinker for 90mins which Phil Walker was pointing out all through the game. (can't believe Dungy left Kiwomya and Butterfield out of the squad for tactical reasons..idiot). The keeper has a great kick and distribution, but 6 goals in 2 games isn't much better than Flapper Letheran., at one point he failed to come andd collect from Loz just outside the 6yd box.
There were flashes of good points in the game today, which hopefully the new manager will be able to build on. I cannot believe we have lost 7 out of 9, I was fuming yet again when we threw the game away again, surely Evans and Loz have to be dropped next week. I said I'd like to see Hollis partner Butterfield at CB, as I think the latter could turn out to be another Dwayne Mattis, they cant do much worse surely. We cant sign any more new players until at least we have a new manager so why not ggive it a try.(blame me if we lose).

Can't see Butterfield as a CB. Sometimes it looks as though even the hurley burley in midfield isn't his style, though I'm sure he'd look a lot better in a side that played more football.
We might have signed another flat-footed keeper, but of the six goals he's conceded only their second today was one he might have stopped. He was dreadfully slow going down, but it must be a nightmare playing behind that defence near the end of games.

#270 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:02 PM

View Posth again, on 21 November 2020 - 10:38 PM, said:

Were they that good? Odd they should be the centre of the worst defence in leagues 1 and 2 in successive seasons with skills like that, but it's a funny old game..

Odd you never mention Barrow’s miserly defence last year with one of said defenders.

#271 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:14 PM

View Posth again, on 21 November 2020 - 10:38 PM, said:

Yes, they were.

As their trophy cabinets will testify.

As opposed to regurgitated lies from a sad old troll...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#272 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:24 PM

sam hird was an excellent player for us, he had a tricky start but proved himself, even cookie was forced a u-turn on him. a great reader of the game, he is head and shoulders above anyone we currently have.

#273 User is offline   gb007 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2020 - 11:46 PM

dtp said:

1605994966[/url]' post='1542033']
I understand it has been posted on Facebook that one of the their goals resulted from a weak header by Denton. I don't know as I've not seen them.

My reading of the situation was that Denton won the ball in his area but coco evans also tried to win the header interfering with Denton and then leaving a big hole behind where they scored the goal from -it will be interesting to see the highlights but in my opinion Coco was at fault for the 2nd and Maguire for the 3rd.
To be fair we played ok against a very poor County team and if I were the players I would be calling out Evans and Maguire big time.
Let’s get Sharman and Hollis in they surely can’t do any worse than these pathetic wasters .
A previous post mentioned Drive - I will volunteer to drive coco as far away from this club as possible

“When was the last time you did something for the first time”

#274 User is offline   PontePete 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2020 - 01:11 AM

[quote name='blue and yellow' timestamp='1605995808' post='1542043']
When will reality sink in ?
All this talk of signing new players and a "name" manager.
Wake up to reality...
No money ,no assets,
No match day revenue'
This is SERIIOUS.
Wake up !!!

When will it sink you’re a bell end and a scab, now f cuk off and shag your sister

This post has been edited by PontePete: 22 November 2020 - 01:15 AM

Hater of all things Scab!

#275 User is offline   PontePete 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:15 AM

[quote name='PontePete' timestamp='1606007481' post='1542111']
[quote name='blue and yellow' timestamp='1605995808' post='1542043']
When will reality sink in ?
All this talk of signing new players and a "name" manager.
Wake up to reality...
No money ,no assets,
No match day revenue'
This is SERIIOUS.
Wake up !!!

When will it sink in you’re a bell end and a scab, now f cuk off and shag your sister
Hater of all things Scab!

#276 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:39 AM

View Posth again, on 21 November 2020 - 10:12 PM, said:

If Tom Denton didn't clear almost all the dead ball attacks from the area we'd be in real trouble.

I'm constantly told that one of the attributes Tom Denton brings to the team is when he's defending in our penalty area dead ball situations.

Just wondering how many goals have we conceded this season from dead ball situations though.

#277 User is offline   Toddhopper. 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2020 - 09:48 AM

View Postdtp, on 22 November 2020 - 09:39 AM, said:

I'm constantly told that one of the attributes Tom Denton brings to the team is when he's defending in our penalty area dead ball situations.

Just wondering how many goals have we conceded this season from dead ball situations though.
One man isn't enough.

#278 User is offline   essexspireman 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:01 AM

look how close are defenders are to that winning header

https://www.bbc.co.u...otball/54941227

#279 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:03 AM

View Postdtp, on 22 November 2020 - 09:39 AM, said:

You are implying that Denton should be capable of marking every attacker in the penalty area from a dead ball situation ? Stupid !

#280 User is offline   SpireiteFitzy 

• The Inglorious One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield fc

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:00 PM

View Postlindave, on 21 November 2020 - 10:28 PM, said:

Let's maybe ease up on the critique of the new GK. He's a young guy who has just been thrown into a garbage side at literally a moments notice. He can't trust his centre backs and from a huge proportion of set pieces he has guys just running in full steam ahead getting free shots on target, it's not the easiest situation for a rookie to be thrown in.
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!

Share this topic:

• (16 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users