Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: And That's Why We Don't Play 4-4-2 - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

And That's Why We Don't Play 4-4-2

#1 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:47 PM

That was absolutely shocking. Did we create anything??

WHY did we play 4-4-2 and entertain them in a game of football? (I could understand it if we look more likely to create chances/ score, but we clearly don't, in fact just the opposite)

WHY didn't we stick to what we know and play our normal controlled game, okay it's got its faults with the players we've got (still a work in progress and this summer should see this honed in on), but it suits us miles better than 4-4-2. IF we keep the ball they can't hurt us and we get our chances. I don't care if we are passing square too often, give me that over what I've just witnessed any day.

Okay 4-4-2 worked at Hartlepool, but their fans told us that it didn't matter what team or tactics we come with, we are going home with the three points, and so it proved... JUST!

Our frustrations today with playing 4-4-2 and surrendering the midfield has now cost us our player of the season for the remainder of the season (okay that and stupidity, though I honestly don't think he'd have been frustrated if we have been our normal controlled selves).
Our defence looked uneasy as the lack of protection had disappeared with the tactics. Total shambles from start to finish and we created nothing!
Against Newport I was gutted as we deserved the points after a controlled performance and only missed chances a long range shot and a couple of dodgy referee decisions cost us, we didn’t deserve the boos. Today was a nightmare from the first kick to the very last and we got clapped off!! I’m fuming after what we did today and without Morsy we have a real battle on now. This one’s going down to the Fleetwood game for me and I’m not confident of securing the result in that one!

Seriously that today could cost us big time and I'm grateful for the point as we didn't deserve anything from that!
#notapennymore

#2 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 18 April 2014 - 05:47 PM, said:

WHY did we play 4-4-2 and entertain them in a game of football? (I could understand it if we look more likely to create chances/ score, but we clearly don't, in fact just the opposite)

WHY didn't we stick to what we know and play our normal controlled game, okay it's got its faults with the players we've got (still a work in progress and this summer should see this honed in on), but it suits us miles better than 4-4-2. IF we keep the ball they can't hurt us and we get our chances. I don't care if we are passing square too often, give me that over what I've just witnessed any day.

Okay 4-4-2 worked at Hartlepool, but their fans told us that it didn't matter what team or tactics we come with, we are going home with the three points, and so it proved... JUST!

Our frustrations today with playing 4-4-2 and surrendering the midfield has now cost us our player of the season for the remainder of the season (okay that and stupidity, though I honestly don't think he'd have been frustrated if we have been our normal controlled selves).
Our defence looked uneasy as the lack of protection had disappeared with the tactics. Total shambles from start to finish and we created nothing!
Against Newport I was gutted as we deserved the points after a controlled performance and only missed chances a long range shot and a couple of dodgy referee decisions cost us, we didn’t deserve the boos. Today was a nightmare from the first kick to the very last and we got clapped off!! I’m fuming after what we did today and without Morsy we have a real battle on now. This one’s going down to the Fleetwood game for me and I’m not confident of securing the result in that one!

Seriously that today could cost us big time and I'm grateful for the point as we didn't deserve anything from that!

It's not cost us anything...a point better off...go above Rochdale & still 2 points off the top

#3 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:54 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 18 April 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

It's not cost us anything...a point better off...go above Rochdale & still 2 points off the top

It's cost us two points to Fleetwood and that's more important than us going up a place in the league. Fleetwood will be rubbing their hands together tonight with us still to play.

We've also lost our player of the season for the season, but yet you say it's not cost us owt :blink:
#notapennymore

#4 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:55 PM

Agree with all that. PC seems to have lost his nerve and abandoned 4-2-3-1, and it's cost us. We can only be thankful we didn't lose by about 3-1 and reduce the goal difference column, because it could easily have happened.
Morsy was absolutely stupid and our best midfielder is now out for the season. Ryan and Togwell against Dagenham, but if we come away from there with a point it will be a bonus.

#5 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:56 PM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 18 April 2014 - 05:54 PM, said:

It's cost us two points to Fleetwood and that's more important than us going up a place in the league. Fleetwood will be rubbing their hands together tonight with us still to play.

We've also lost our player of the season for the season, but yet you say it's not cost us owt :blink:

What are Rochdale & Scunthorpe fans thinking???

#6 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 18 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

I've not been today, having a few days away.

Any ideas why he started with 4-4-2, is he getting advice from within?

#7 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:04 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 18 April 2014 - 05:56 PM, said:

What are Rochdale & Scunthorpe fans thinking???

Tbh, I don't b!@@dy care!!!

As you can see I'm fuming and had to go and stain the decking (should have been tomorrows job) when I got back from the match and I still haven't calmed down.
Yes, it may be a good point (as the rest are as bad as us), but we are throwing points away out of naivety, nothing else and our promotion should have been sealed now. This could really go against us and our powerhouse and driving force in midfield is done for the season (unless the unthinkable happens and it could easily do with two tricky away games next)

View Postfreelander2, on 18 April 2014 - 05:58 PM, said:

I've not been today, having a few days away.

Any ideas why he started with 4-4-2, is he getting advice from within?

That notion scares the living daylights out of me! I seriously hope not!!
#notapennymore

#8 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:06 PM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 18 April 2014 - 06:04 PM, said:

Tbh, I don't b!@@dy care!!!

As you can see I'm fuming and had to go and stain the decking (should have been tomorrows job) when I got back from the match and I still haven't calmed down.
Yes, it may be a good point (as the rest are as bad as us), but we are throwing points away out of naivety, nothing else and our promotion should have been sealed now. This could really go against us and our powerhouse and driving force in midfield is done for the season (unless the unthinkable happens and it could easily do with two tricky away games next)

That notion scares the living daylights out of me! I seriously hope not!!

The Owner has made no secret for his liking of 4-4-2 with two flying wingers.

#9 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:12 PM

View Postfreelander2, on 18 April 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

I know he does. He employed the man so he should trust him to do it his way. I'm 100% behind DA, but IF I ever found that out to be true then my support for him drops to 0%!
Seriously I'll feel that strongly about this I'd want him out of my club despite whatever mess this would leave us with.

I seriously pray this isn't the issue.
#notapennymore

#10 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:14 PM

I highly, highly doubt it is. He chose Cook as manager after watching Accrington play 4-2-3-1 against us. Freelander2, you aren't a very trusting bloke are you haha

#11 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:17 PM

He's also made no secret of who should be starting up front

#12 User is offline   Martyg 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:19 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 18 April 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

If we had won we would be joint top not joint 2nd
It's not sticking!!!

#13 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

When all's running smoothly & we're playing well / getting results, it wouldn't matter to most if we played 9 players in defence, but as soon as results suffer, etc, I'm sure advice isn't in short supply from many parties.

If I'd got the cash invested that DA has, I'd have an opinion!

#14 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:23 PM

View Postfreelander2, on 18 April 2014 - 06:21 PM, said:

If I'd got the cash invested that DA has, I'd have an opinion!

And you'd be wrong to do so. Well, not wrong to have an opinion, but to force it on the management, which I'm sure isn't happening.

#15 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:23 PM

We don't have flying winners

I think he played 442 last week for a particular reason, we won, played well and he decided to do the same this week. It is that simple

On Monday he would've reverted to 4231 but perhaps not now after losing Morsey
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#16 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:28 PM

View Postazul, on 18 April 2014 - 06:23 PM, said:

We don't have flying winners

You're not wrong.

Well, technically, I suppose you are because Devitt's getting some great reviews at Morecambe!

#17 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:39 PM

View Postfreelander2, on 18 April 2014 - 06:28 PM, said:

You're not wrong.

Well, technically, I suppose you are because Devitt's getting some great reviews at Morecambe!

that's a strange one. The one thing this side is crying out for is pace - Roberts is a player I like a lot, but sometimes he slows things down just a little too much for my liking.

We will go up, and maybe in top spot, but the manager really needs to look at this lack of pace and pedestrian style of play. He may think the answer is full backs bombing on to get width/pace.

A new hope.

#18 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:45 PM

We best get two flying wingers and two centre forwards for next season then!

#19 User is offline   Paragon of Virtue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:46 PM

We're missing Banks, the only player we have who is a consistent performer in the hole.

#20 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:49 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 18 April 2014 - 06:45 PM, said:

We best get two flying wingers and two centre forwards for next season then!

Throw in two fullbacks & we'll all be happy!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users