• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

real football

#1 User is offline   Sam 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Then...Now...Forever a Spireite....

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:31 PM

Was having a 'discussion' the other day about 'real football' now I argued on end untill I got my point across (as usual)

Is it just me that considers Premiership Football as a joke in some matters, not only is everything just controlled by money, there is no real hopes, dreams and ambitions for me in Prem footie. No real long-term goal of being able to get higher, alot of people will argue the case of the Champions League, UEFA etc but at the end of the day for me I would rather enjoy the feeling of promotion or play-off victory this is where it comes to the basis, Chesterfield FC is real football.

Many people who visit Saltergate return home with the same attitude pulling to pieces our ground and the fact we have no money. For me Saltergate may not be an idealistic ground and fair enough yes it is gradually falling to pieces but for me it is a real football ground.

Wooden benches for seats, posts in the way on every stand coming home with splinters in your bum. But for me those were the highlights of being a kid. Getting ready before the game wearing your shirt on top of a jumper, pair of tights on underneath your jeans, pair of socks on the top. Dr Martens boots, Spireite scarf that you'd wear every single game and yet it never managed to find it's way into the wash, gloves so when you had your drink you didn't burn your fingers!! Hair tied up high with blue&white ribbons hanging down.Walking up St Margeret's Drive after purchasing a programme the voice beckoning getting closer "FIFTAAAAAAY FIFTAAAAAAY!", walking through the turnstiles and hearing the music echoing underneath the stands.

Wondering up and down the Family Stand looking for somewhere to sit with the best possible view with no posts in the way and a front-seat view of the team running up and down in two columns, Dychey leading the lads in training. Listening to Howard call out the team line-ups. Sat down in the freezing cold but with the comforting smell of Bovril hovering in the air. Looking round at all the Grandma's and Grandad's arranging their blanket's on the bench whilst they go rummaging through their bag to unveal a big flask of hot coffee to keep them warm through-out the 90 minutes.

Looking over at all the hundreds of fan's on the Kop screaming and shouting for the lad's no matter what the score, always an atmosphere and whenever the ball was to be put in the back of the net that was it the Kop errupted. Seeing the man with the inflatable crooked spire made out of plastic bags with 'Up The Blues' felt-tipped onto the plastic, just to show his support for the lads.

Now we may not have Mourinhio's millions but to be quite frankly honest I'd rather be in our posistion than Chelsea's we have hope's and dream's of success and getting as high as we possibly can. Once Chelsea have completed and achieved everything that's it. They've done everything. Now I know I'd rather be at Saltergate every two weeks and following town up and down the country for the rest of the time then wasting pathetic money watching a team with no dreams.

The team we support is a real football team, with a real football ground and real fans.

And I will always be proud to be a Spireite, untill the day I die. :)
Reach for the moon, if you fall short you'll still be amongst the stars...

#2 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:46 PM

sam, on Jun 13 2005, 01:31 AM, said:

Was having a 'discussion' the other day about 'real football' now I argued on end untill I got my point across (as usual)

Is it just me that considers Premiership Football as a joke in some matters, not only is everything just controlled by money, there is no real hopes, dreams and ambitions for me in Prem footie. No real long-term goal of being able to get higher, alot of people will argue the case of the Champions League, UEFA etc but at the end of the day for me I would rather enjoy the feeling of promotion or play-off victory this is where it comes to the basis Chesterfield FC is real football.

Many people who visit Saltergate return home with the same attitude pulling to pieces our ground and the fact we have no money. For me Saltergate may not be a idealistic ground and fair enough yes it is gradually falling to pieces but for me it is a real football ground.

Wooden benches for seats, posts in the way on every stand coming home with splinters in your bum. But for me those were the highlights of being a kid. Getting ready before the game wearing your shirt on top of a jumper, pair of tights on underneath your jeans, pair of socks on the top.Dr Martens boots, scarves gloves so when you had your drink you didn't burn your fingers!! Hair tied up high with blue&white ribbons hanging down.Walking up St Margeret's Drive after purchasing a programme the voice beckoning getting closer "FIFTAAAAAAY FIFTAAAAAAY!",  walking through the turnstiles and hearing the music echoing underneath the stands.

Wondering up and down the Family Stand looking for somewhere to sit with the best possible view with no posts in the way and a front-seat view of the team running up and down in two colums Dychey leading the lads in training. Listening to Howard call out the team line-ups. Sat down in the freezing cold but with the comforting smell of Bovril hovering in the air. Looking round at all the Grandma's and Grandad's arranging their blanket's on the bench whilst they go rummaging through their bag to unveal a big flask of hot coffee to keep them warm through-out the 90 minutes.

Looking over at all the hundreds of fan's on the Kop screaming and shouting for the lad's no matter what the score, always an atmosphere and whenever the ball was to be put in the back of the net that was it the Kop errupted. Seeing the man with the inflatable crooked spire made out of plastic bags with 'Up The Blues' felt-tipped onto the plastic, just to show his support for the lads.

Now we may not have Mourinhio's millions but to be quite frankly honest I'd rather be in our posistion than Chelsea's we have hope's and dream's of success and getting as high as we possibly can. Once Chelsea have completed and achieved everything that's it. They've done everything. Now I know I'd rather be at Saltergate every two weeks and following town up and down the country for the rest of the time then wasting pathetic money watching a team with no dreams.

The team we support is a real football team, with a real football ground and real fans.

And I will always be proud to be a Spireite, untill the day I die.  :)
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think thats a cracking post Sam, its the old "blood is thicker"argument. Take away the obvious points like my wedding day and the birth of a son and Chesterfield fc comes up very close behind.
FA Cup runs,Play-off games, survival at Blackpool and at home to Luton, beating Derby in the League, games against Wednesday and United even 1-0 wins away at Blackpool in the late eighties on cold february Tuesday nights when hardly anyone form Chesterfield knew we were playing let alone went. Many games against Mansfield as well. If anyone from Chelsea told me they`d experienced the highs, lows and emotions like I`ve done over the years following Chesterfiled I`d call them a liar.

Mr Mercury
East stand second class citizen.

#3 User is offline   Lorraine 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2005 - 11:48 PM

That's a really lovely post Sam. A true down-to-earth football fan. Well done lass I say! Proud of you. And as an after-thought, anyone who says any different is a complete idiot.

#4 Guest_Mark Jones_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:25 AM

Good post Sam

#5 User is offline   DMU Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:59 AM

i challenge any man u fan to tell me a time they have felt such emotion as the 88th min against luton town.

Champions league final comeback? your having a laugh. no where near

* that goes for any other top flight ''fan''. and i aint talking about the die hards. just those who class themselves as fans

This post has been edited by Meden Blue: 13 June 2005 - 11:00 AM

Up the Blues

#6 User is offline   david_cfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Seeing the mighty Spireites obviously

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:09 AM

or has felt the feeling of being knocked out of the FA Cup with 65 seconds to go and then a player born and bred in Chesterfield pops up with a late equaliser!
Come On Spireites

#7 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:09 AM

Meden Blue, on Jun 13 2005, 11:59 AM, said:

i challenge any man u fan to tell me a time they have felt such emotion as the 88th min against luton town.

Champions league final comeback? your having a laugh. no where near
* that goes for any other top flight ''fan''. and i aint talking about the die hards. just those who class themselves as fans
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Many emotions in my memories mate only 2 downers i can think of in 34 years as a Man Utd fan,a normal league game is an emotion for a Man Utd fan,a goal just makes it better in a huge crowd,i feel more stick coming my way,you asked i told,i've been on both sides of the fence. :P

#8 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:11 AM

spireiteblue, on Jun 13 2005, 01:09 PM, said:

Many emotions in my memories mate only 2 downers i can think of in 34 years as a Man Utd fan,a normal league game is an emotion for a Man Utd fan,a goal just makes it better in a huge crowd,i feel more stick coming my way,you asked i told,i've been on both sides of the fence. :P
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And there was I thinking this thread was about emotions following Chesterfield.

Mr Mercury

#9 User is offline   Cosmo Kramer 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:13 AM

Sam, it brings a tear to the eye. I think that you've summed up perfectly what we've all tried in vain to describe and sell to 'fans' of Prem clubs in our time. You will never get the same satisfaction from following a huge club on Sky telly that you can get from from belonging to a select bunch who live and die by what happens at our football club.

Nice post Sam!
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

#10 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:15 AM

Mr Mercury, on Jun 13 2005, 12:11 PM, said:

And there was I thinking this thread was about emotions following Chesterfield.

Mr Mercury
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"i challenge any man u fan to tell me a time they have felt such emotion as the 88th min against luton town."

I take it you jump in first with a retort then read the post :P

I also have many emotions as a spireite in my 36 years of watching and following them.

#11 User is offline   DMU Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:17 AM

i read it... most of it... but my attention drifted :P
Up the Blues

#12 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:18 AM

I take it you jump in first with a retort then read the post :P

Yep

Everytime.

Mr Mercury

#13 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:24 AM

I'm not knocking Sams post it was a true reflection on what she believes in,i can't fault it i'm sure we all have similar stories over the years,but there are different emotions like the Old Trafford stadium being bombed in the war and having to play home games at your deadliest rivals across the City,then the Munich air disaster,that is what i would call emotions.

Nobody was more cock a hoop at Jamies equaliser at Old Trafford than me,i couldn't have dreamt a more fantastic story than what happened that day on a ground where i'd cheered goals from great players like George Best etc.

Football is the same where ever you play it 11 versus 11 and 3 officials,a crowd,i ask you why couldn't town do it last season they proved they were good enough in the first half of the season then fell away.........

#14 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:32 AM

spireiteblue, on Jun 13 2005, 01:24 PM, said:

I'm not knocking Sams post it was a true reflection on what she believes in,i can't fault it i'm sure we all have similar stories over the years,but there are different emotions like the Old Trafford stadium being bombed in the war and having to play home games at your deadliest rivals across the City,then the Munich air disaster,that is what i would call emotions.

Nobody was more cock a hoop at Jamies equaliser at Old Trafford than me,i couldn't have dreamt a more fantastic story than what happened that day on a ground where i'd cheered goals from great players like George Best etc.

Football is the same where ever you play it 11 versus 11 and 3 officials,a crowd,i ask you why couldn't town do it last season they proved they were good enough in the first half of the season then fell away.........
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Old Trafford being bombed in the war and having to play games at your deadliest rivals"

Yes that was one of THE disasters of the war, my old history teacher, Mr Crowe wants a rollocking for concentrating on the tragedies happening all over Europe as well has at home and completely forgetting about Old Trafford being bombed.

Sorry for joining in with this Man Utd argument on your thread Sam. It was a cracking piece of writing that deserves better.

Mr Mercury

#15 Guest_Mark Jones_*

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:36 AM

Sam's post has been ruined with the ramblings about Man Ure yet again.

Its a shame because it was an excellent post. She probably would have been better off sending it to Bob C for inclusion on the CFSS Web Site, or Rich S for the Official Site.

#16 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:40 AM

Mark Jones, on Jun 13 2005, 12:36 PM, said:

Sam's post has been ruined with the ramblings about Man Ure.

Its a shame because it was an excellent post.  She probably would have been better off sending it to Bob C for inclusion on the CFSS Web Site, or Rich S for the Official Site.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Blame the guy who brought it up then Mark,i only replied,which i am entitled to do.

#17 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:41 AM

Mr Mercury, on Jun 13 2005, 12:32 PM, said:

"Old Trafford being bombed in the war and having to play games at your deadliest rivals"

Yes that was one of THE disasters of the war, my old history teacher, Mr Crowe wants a rollocking for concentrating on the tragedies happening all over Europe as well has at home and completely forgetting about Old Trafford being bombed.

Sorry for joining in with this Man Utd  argument on your thread Sam. It was a cracking piece of writing that deserves better.

Mr Mercury
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lets face it Mark 2 couldn't wait to jump in feet first,its his form of wit i believe.

#18 User is offline   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:59 AM

Superb post by Sam. I hope your GCSE English efforts were as evocative.

In terms of supporters of big clubs the problem is that money becomes more important than anything. For example Man U considering re-signing Beckham just to sell merchandise in the States!

However, I believe there are fans of the big clubs as committed as we are; I worked with Chelsea and Arsenal regulars while in London who were examples. The big clubs do attract the corporate, celebrity and trophy-hunting “supporters” that dilute the fan base. It is those fans, where ever they turn up, that will never feel like Sam. I don’t see many of that type down the Rec’.
Peter Whiteley

#19 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 13 June 2005 - 12:18 PM

we watch proper footy.
the "prawn sarnie brigade", go for an afternoons entertainment. more like a day at the theatre.
does any one else find the idea of the shareholders united group forming thier own club, like afc wimbledon, side splittingly funny?
A new hope.

#20 User is offline   Sam 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Then...Now...Forever a Spireite....

Posted 13 June 2005 - 01:13 PM

spireiteblue, on Jun 13 2005, 11:24 AM, said:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree entirely the whole purpose to my post was to prove that the statement you have just wrote is not true.

Maybe if you feel like this you should visit your 'beloved' Old Trafford more often than Saltergate because as you say, to you there is no difference, which I find really sickening. What is your reason for supporting that other 'team' I presume you have no links and you're Chesterfield born and bred yet to you there is no difference...

Sums its up to a tee.
Reach for the moon, if you fall short you'll still be amongst the stars...

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users