Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Future Of The Academy - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Future Of The Academy

#101 User is offline   Looker-on 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 November 2019 - 02:49 PM

View PostBlue5, on 28 November 2019 - 01:32 PM, said:

<br />Will you be providing live updates tonight?<br />

It is my understanding that, if the meetings are taking place in the same rooms that the scholars use for classes, it may be possible to get a recording of them.
It's nice to be able to Trust again.

#102 User is offline   Andy Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Er..............Town!

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:36 AM

Anyone able to divulge what was discussed tonight?

#103 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2019 - 12:41 PM

Dropping down to the National League has cost the academy about £200K in funding. From next season there will be no funding.

Adie Shaw was present but his disclaimer was that he could offer little advice or support because the players are not on EFL contracts but would try and help where he could.

There was a disagreement and total misunderstanding between parents and the club in respect to the type of contracts the kids are on. Parents were of the understanding that their kids were first year scholars and the reality is they are on extended schoolboy contracts which allows them to move freely between clubs.

Adie Shaw suggested that parents might have been misinformed in respect to the original information parents received from the club.

Steve Coe was unable to offer any concrete plans for next season at this stage but will meet with parents again in January where he will confirm what will happen. I feel Steve's hiding behind a takeover as a reason to delay telling parents the reality, suggesting the consortium might keep or get rid of the academy and therefore at this stage he cannot say what will happen next season.

I started this thread by speculating that the academy, as we know it, is coming to an end and nothing was said last night to suggest otherwise.

#104 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:12 PM

Ouch what a shambles

#105 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 29 November 2019 - 03:21 PM

View PostBlue5, on 29 November 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

the reality is they are on extended schoolboy contracts which allows them to move freely between clubs.

Expect the cream, if we have any, to move to Sheffield Utd then. My understanding is that a SBK director has recently left CFC and moved in there as an Academy coach, under Jack.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#106 User is offline   Humpalumpa 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2019 - 03:44 PM

View PostBlue5, on 29 November 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

Adie Shaw suggested that parents might have been misinformed in respect to the original information parents received from the club.

No surprise there then
The pride of Derbyshire

#107 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2019 - 03:19 PM

I bumped into parents and a kid I know in the Academy earlier this afternoon in Bolsover - they have been told nothing one way or the other eally - takeover talks mentioned as reason for this. Also mentioned possible parent funding next season - not sure how that would work. Their lad is one I spotted a few years back playing for Glapwell - knew where to run,when to run, when to pass, boundless energy - a natural footballer. Not sure of his age group but his mother said they had only lost one of nine all season and had beaten Liverpool and Sheff. U. The car crash continues.

#108 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:28 PM

Liverpool? Would br their reserves if imagine.

Parent funded Academies are a car crash waitingvto happen

#109 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:33 PM

View Postboot, on 30 November 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

I bumped into parents and a kid I know in the Academy earlier this afternoon in Bolsover - they have been told nothing one way or the other eally - takeover talks mentioned as reason for this. Also mentioned possible parent funding next season - not sure how that would work. Their lad is one I spotted a few years back playing for Glapwell - knew where to run,when to run, when to pass, boundless energy - a natural footballer. Not sure of his age group but his mother said they had only lost one of nine all season and had beaten Liverpool and Sheff. U. The car crash continues.

The Junior Blues where Coe gained his self awarded 'fifteen years of expertise' appears the model now being pursued.

Essentially parents paid fees to play in teams run by volunteers (though the JB's did fund their badges) and did all the traveling themselves.

Infact it'd be no different to any other lads' set-up in the area and surely any talented youngster will simply go to Sheffyoo or Wensdi or Derby or Mansfield or any other even semi-professional outfit.

But hey, at least Carson's mate can still tell everyone he's academy director or summat...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#110 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:53 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 30 November 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:

The Junior Blues where Coe gained his self awarded 'fifteen years of expertise' appears the model now being pursued.

Essentially parents paid fees to play in teams run by volunteers (though the JB's did fund their badges) and did all the traveling themselves.

Infact it'd be no different to any other lads' set-up in the area and surely any talented youngster will simply go to Sheffyoo or Wensdi or Derby or Mansfield or any other even semi-professional outfit.

But hey, at least Carson's mate can still tell everyone he's academy director or summat...

That assumes that the new owners will be happy for him to stay in place. In which case my self imposed excise continues. Or worse new owners keep him and Carson in place. Or worse still, the current regime continues into next season
A new hope.

#111 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2019 - 07:58 PM

Any new ownership that keeps any of the current lot in charge might as well not bother in my opinion. All gone or none gone for me

#112 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:12 PM

View PostCFC91, on 30 November 2019 - 07:58 PM, said:

Any new ownership that keeps any of the current lot in charge might as well not bother in my opinion. All gone or none gone for me

New bona ride owners will know that, anyone who keeps Carson here a second longer than needed is effectively ruining their tenure before it's started, and buyers will know that!
East stand second class citizen.

#113 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:05 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 30 November 2019 - 07:33 PM, said:

Essentially parents paid fees

So, could some of these parents be the same ones that lost money in Sutcliffe's Development School?
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#114 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 November 2019 - 09:18 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 30 November 2019 - 07:28 PM, said:

<br />Liverpool? Would br their reserves if imagine.<br /><br />Parent funded Academies are a car crash waitingvto happen<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Reserves - probably agree - they will have several teams at every age group I guess, but if you are on Liverpool's books you won't be your average schoolboy footballer whichever team you are in.p

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 30 November 2019 - 07:28 PM, said:

<br />Liverpool? Would br their reserves if imagine.<br /><br />Parent funded Academies are a car crash waitingvto happen<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Reserves - probably agree - they will have several teams at every age group I guess, but if you are on Liverpool's books you won't be your average schoolboy footballer whichever team you are in.

#115 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:01 PM

Boot, would that be Dan G? He's mates with my son. He'll be snapped up by a Sheffield club easily.

#116 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 December 2019 - 09:57 PM

View Postvalemadness, on 01 December 2019 - 09:01 PM, said:

<br />Boot, would that be Dan G? He's mates with my son. He'll be snapped up by a Sheffield club easily.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

It would.

#117 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2019 - 12:46 PM

I understand that earlier this week the scholars were told that if they wanted to remain at the club next season under the banner of Chesterfield FC Youth Team, they will be charged £40 per month and expected to pay for their own kit.

I am surprised parents could not have been told this in the meeting on the 28th November!

#118 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 06 December 2019 - 12:50 PM

View PostBlue5, on 06 December 2019 - 12:46 PM, said:

I understand that earlier this week the scholars were told that if they wanted to remain at the club next season under the banner of Chesterfield FC Youth Team, they will be charged £40 per month and expected to pay for their own kit.

I am surprised parents could not have been told this in the meeting on the 28th November!

Is that the going rate, no wonder it was an attractive venture for the terrible 2/3
God I hate this league.

#119 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 06 December 2019 - 03:52 PM

It then becomes a coaching scheme and not a talent academy

#120 User is offline   Looker-on 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 December 2019 - 05:14 PM

Might as well just move the thing into the Aquarius and get the job done properly.
It's nice to be able to Trust again.

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users