Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Could we help Rotherham out? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Could we help Rotherham out?

#1 Guest_MP-Spire_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:03 PM

I'm just listening to Football Heaven on the web and their Chairman reckons the Irish consortium have some big issues regarding the cost and the terms of the lease on Millmoor, they're currently paying £16K a month in rent.

I think the lease expires in 2011, but I assume this goes out of the window now, so why not offer them the use of Saltergate for £8K a month + costs!

#2 User is offline   spire69 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:06 PM

WHY SHOULD WE HELP THEM DID THEY HELP US? NO THEY DID'NT.

This post has been edited by spire69: 18 March 2008 - 08:11 PM

#3 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:07 PM

View PostMP-Spire, on Mar 18 2008, 08:03 PM, said:

I'm just listening to Football Heaven on the web and their Chairman reckons the Irish consortium have some big issues regarding the cost and the terms of the lease on Millmoor, they're currently paying £16K a month in rent.

I think the lease expires in 2011, but I assume this goes out of the window now, so why not offer them the use of Saltergate for £8K a month + costs!

Not a bad idea, in fact its a brilliant idea!!! helps them, and financially, really gives us a boost. Get on the phone to `ma`!!
A new hope.

#4 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:09 PM

If their attendances drop to 1,500 with little matchday income wouldn't any saving be gone?

#5 User is offline   Scampi 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:10 PM

They could at least use it as a bit of bribe tactic against the owners of the ground.

#6 User is offline   Bankrobber 

• 83 goals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Arctic Sheets and Fields of Wheat

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:11 PM

Obviously not sure about the full story but i think RUFC going in to admin has some ramifications as to the deal they have with the Booth family (who own the ground). Basically they can get out of that arrangement, as i understand it. Heard rumours at work today that they have been looking at Don Valley...would we be a more attractive option? Probably - it must be awful watching football a quarter of a mile from the pitch (i remember the Withdean).
The greatest miscarriage of justice since my case against the producers of the Never Ending Story

#7 User is offline   Balearic Mac 

• If you see it, say it...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:12 PM

I'd imagine the the current lease will become invalid upon administration. Though that may ultimately work in Rotherham's favour, it could also lead to their landlord being quite within his rights to throw them out of Millmoor. You can't help but feel sorry for those who've tried desperately to attract investment, but how can anyone make a valid business case for investing in a club with large debts and no assets? I genuinely fear for their survival and would sooner see them scrape into the play-offs than us undeservedly profit from their awful predicament.
"and a pair of those Geoff Mitchell glasses, please."

#8 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:25 PM

View PostBalearic Mac, on Mar 18 2008, 08:12 PM, said:

I'd imagine the the current lease will become invalid upon administration. Though that may ultimately work in Rotherham's favour, it could also lead to their landlord being quite within his rights to throw them out of Millmoor. You can't help but feel sorry for those who've tried desperately to attract investment, but how can anyone make a valid business case for investing in a club with large debts and no assets? I genuinely fear for their survival and would sooner see them scrape into the play-offs than us undeservedly profit from their awful predicament.

Call me selfish if you like, but I would take play offs/ promotion for CFC
A new hope.

#9 User is offline   onlyonefinfolan 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2008 - 09:20 PM

Their predicament is borne out of their own foolishness. Chasing the dream. Hiring staff they can't afford. The League has done well to level the playing field and, from time to time, dream chasers will come a cropper. If they had manned up commensurate with their likely income the likes of Holmes, Holmes, Hudson, Mills, Coughlan, Sharps etc would not have been recruited and thy'd have had a lot more than 10 points less.

#10 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

View Postonlyonefinfolan, on Mar 18 2008, 09:20 PM, said:

Their predicament is borne out of their own foolishness. Chasing the dream. Hiring staff they can't afford. The League has done well to level the playing field and, from time to time, dream chasers will come a cropper. If they had manned up commensurate with their likely income the likes of Holmes, Holmes, Hudson, Mills, Coughlan, Sharps etc would not have been recruited and thy'd have had a lot more than 10 points less.

Rather puts Mr. Hubbard's refusal to 'gamble' in context, doesn't it?
Strange to say, there are still those who hold it against him.

#11 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:48 PM

Agreed. But where does the league's wage cap come in? Or have I dreamt it?

#12 User is offline   onlyonefinfolan 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:18 PM

View PostWESTBARS SPIREITE, on Mar 18 2008, 10:48 PM, said:

Initial projections may have been for crowds of (let's say) 5500 but in reality 1000 less show, 60% bust by default and non playing staffpossibly paid silly money too. (All speculative, no inside info!)

#13 Guest_lemlin_*

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:19 PM

Let me firstly say there is no great love between me and Leeds United. At ALL.

However I did notice that Rotherham were one of the few yorkshire teams that voted in favour of Leeds being given a 15 point deduction this year.

And I don't remember many Rotherham fans showing much support when Chesterfield were in serious trouble. I would therefore not expect them to see much suport back.

You live by the sword....You die by the sword.

#14 User is offline   Frank Thacker 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:53 AM

View PostWESTBARS SPIREITE, on Mar 18 2008, 10:48 PM, said:

It might be the case that they are on the line (and thus ok) for the wage cap - but add the other exceptional and stupidly large debts they've taken on - the still-unfinished stand, the stadium hire etc - and the whole lot adds up to far more than their income. We had to spend a bit post-Brown to get the ground open again, but we didn't then go and spend the same money again, on players. Although this obviously held us back and probably led to our eventual relegation I can't help thinking we did the right thing, as far as the longer-term future is concerned.
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   kimi_miller 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2008 - 09:57 AM

thanks for the support, glad to see your fans are not just having a pop at us like a sheffiled club, you know who. i wouldnt mind playing at your place, bit far, but as you said, we would pay less rent and would work out well for both of us.

the person who said about the players we have and costs or something, we had , Mills and Sharps last season, and we were ong buget until we got d holmes and Coughlan, so its just them 2 players, but i see what your saying.

#16 Guest_Alex Green_*

Posted 19 March 2008 - 10:06 AM

This season has been a nightmare for them. If you didnt hear there Chairman on the radio he explained that:

1. The payment made for Williamson and Hoskins rumours to be £1.2 was not even close to that. The Figure was in the region of £600k this was not including a 20% sell on clause for Williamson promotion and goal scoring and appearance add-on fee's (which Hoskins does not look like getting).
    2. The new stand was in need of repair
    3. Electrical cabling was in need of repair and were lucky there hadn't been a fire in the Rotherham Suite as it was in a state of disrepair.
    4. The money they got from the floods was lower than expected.
    5. The board have not been paid a penny for the work they have undertaken
    6. Admitted that financially the club should not be competing in the league.

The guy was shot to pieces and it was obvious. He went on to say they club owes his own personal businesses a large 6 figure sum which he wont see back.

I for one fell sorry for the Chairman and his board investing all the money they have to try and save the club for it to go back downhill.

#17 Guest_MP-Spire_*

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:06 PM

View PostAlex Green, on Mar 19 2008, 10:06 AM, said:

This season has been a nightmare for them. If you didnt hear there Chairman on the radio he explained that:

1. The payment made for Williamson and Hoskins rumours to be £1.2 was not even close to that. The Figure was in the region of £600k this was not including a 20% sell on clause for Williamson promotion and goal scoring and appearance add-on fee's (which Hoskins does not look like getting).
      2. The new stand was in need of repair
      3. Electrical cabling was in need of repair and were lucky there hadn't been a fire in the Rotherham Suite as it was in a state of disrepair.
      4. The money they got from the floods was lower than expected.
      5. The board have not been paid a penny for the work they have undertaken
      6. Admitted that financially the club should not be competing in the league.

The guy was shot to pieces and it was obvious. He went on to say they club owes his own personal businesses a large 6 figure sum which he wont see back.

I for one fell sorry for the Chairman and his board investing all the money they have to try and save the club for it to go back downhill.

HELLO, welcome to football at this level! Do you think Rotherham's problems are any different to any other Club at this level? OK, Barrie & Co aren't the most dynamic, but at least they know how many beans make 5, I've always found it a useful starting point.

If you want to feel sorry for anyone, feel sorry for Robins & John Breckin, certainly not the Chairman and his Directors, who have clearly failed in their duty.

#18 Guest_Alex Green_*

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:05 PM

View PostMP-Spire, on Mar 19 2008, 01:06 PM, said:

If you want to feel sorry for anyone, feel sorry for Robins & John Breckin, certainly not the Chairman and his Directors, who have clearly failed in their duty.

Robins & John Breckin?? why?? they are a by product of the club that come and go. The chairman and Rotherham is a fan of the club and very much so has the clubs interests at heart unlike some clubs. He is there through the ups and downs. They have been fighting a losing battle with Booth owning the ground.

The board invested there own money whilst pumping further money from there own businesses trying to keep the club running.

#19 User is offline   kimi_miller 

• Academy Player
      • PipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:35 PM

who knows who is to blame really, in my eyes, its millers05 who came in and started this whole thing off. they gave everything to ken booth and started to build the new stand before we had any money, they made a buget of 5500, when we could only get 7000 in and the away fans get 2000, so thats a bad point striaght away.

those london people who took over didnt know what they were doing. but lets hope we can move on, an irish group are in talks, so at least we will be serving guinness :P

#20 Guest_MP-Spire_*

Posted 19 March 2008 - 06:56 PM

View PostAlex Green, on Mar 19 2008, 02:05 PM, said:

Robins & John Breckin?? why?? they are a by product of the club that come and go. The chairman and Rotherham is a fan of the club and very much so has the clubs interests at heart unlike some clubs. He is there through the ups and downs. They have been fighting a losing battle with Booth owning the ground.

The board invested there own money whilst pumping further money from there own businesses trying to keep the club running.

You make it sound like they had no control over the running of the Club.........Thinking about it, perhaps you're right :-P

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
      • +
      • You cannot start a new topic
      • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
      0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users