• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Chesterfield Football Club,
    The Apollo moon landings,
    Military aircraft,
    Annoying my wife.

Posted 26 January 2024 - 07:07 PM

ronpowellsbutler, on 26 January 2024 - 02:42 PM, said:

Some of us remember Tommy Flockett.......

Do you recall a Scottish inside forward as they were called back then named Alex Harvey? He signed for us from Saltcoates Victoria and played in the same team as Tommy Flockett from 1950 onwards for a few seasons. Scored a few goals as well I think.
Until I'm 6 feet under baby I don't need a bed
Gonna live while I'm alive I'll sleep when I'm dead

#22 User is offline   ronpowellsbutler 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Irony

Posted 26 January 2024 - 08:35 PM

Alice Cooper, on 26 January 2024 - 07:07 PM, said:

Do you recall a Scottish inside forward as they were called back then named Alex Harvey? He signed for us from Saltcoates Victoria and played in the same team as Tommy Flockett from 1950 onwards for a few seasons. Scored a few goals as well I think.

I don’t remember him I’m afraid.
Speaking of Scottish inside forwards, I was a big fan of Andy McQuarrie.. Thought he was a class act but apparently carried an injury so we didn’t see the best of him.

#23 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2024 - 08:50 PM

I remember The Amazing Alex Harvey Band, but their LP wouldn't work on Town's wind up gramophone player.

#24 User is offline   Collingham Spireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 January 2024 - 09:01 PM

Any of you more mature Spireites remember watching Allen Pringle play for us in the immediate post-war years? My late dad’s first wife (before my mum) was Allen’s daughter- my dad went to Chesterfield Boys and she was a St Helena’s pupil and that’s how they met. I think Allen lived up New Whit, but could be wrong. My dad used to tell this story about how Allen was scouted by Portsmouth in the mid-1930s from the County Durham pit village of Craghead where he was born and grew up. Pompey paid his train fare and when he eventually returned home he was the first car owner in Craghead. Allen was friendly with the Milburn’s because of the North East connection and years after football my dad took Allen up there for a Milburn funeral which was also attended by the Charltons; Ashington footballing royalty all together. Allen had played for a football league representative XI during the war while at Pompey who were a top club then. No idea why he ended up at Town, but his career doesn’t seem to have been all that long from his stats.

#25 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 27 January 2024 - 10:51 AM

Took my (then) 6yr old to that Accrington match. In the final minutes he told me that he needed the toilet so off we trudged round to the loo and whilst we stood there the first cheer went up, 2-1. So we quickly zipped up and went back to take our places but by then the walk through was crowded with supporters ready for the quick dash to the cars at FT, so we had no choice but to stand and watch the game through the crowd. It was at this point that he tapped me on my leg, so I leaned down to him and he told me he couldn't see anything........Just as the equaliser was scored by Scott Boden.
Travelled all that way, walked past the ground initially thinking it was an allotment, froze my t*ts off, watched us go 2-0 down and missed both our goals.

Memories.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#26 User is offline   spireitenag 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2024 - 11:15 AM

27 appearances between 1950/1 and 1952/3.
Scored 9 goals before joining Buxton.

#27 User is online   Alice Cooper 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield Football Club,
    The Apollo moon landings,
    Military aircraft,
    Annoying my wife.

Posted 27 January 2024 - 11:29 AM

spireitenag, on 27 January 2024 - 11:15 AM, said:

27 appearances between 1950/1 and 1952/3.
Scored 9 goals before joining Buxton.

That's the one mate. I asked because I had the pleasure of working with him for around 20 years. Gerry Sears also worked in the same place and when he and Alex got together you can imagine what the conversation was about. They were both really nice blokes. RIP the pair of them.
Until I'm 6 feet under baby I don't need a bed
Gonna live while I'm alive I'll sleep when I'm dead

#28 User is offline   spireitenag 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2024 - 12:12 PM

Collingham Spireite, on 26 January 2024 - 09:01 PM, said:

Any of you more mature Spireites remember watching Allen Pringle play for us in the immediate post-war years? My late dad's first wife (before my mum) was Allen's daughter- my dad went to Chesterfield Boys and she was a St Helena's pupil and that's how they met. I think Allen lived up New Whit, but could be wrong. My dad used to tell this story about how Allen was scouted by Portsmouth in the mid-1930s from the County Durham pit village of Craghead where he was born and grew up. Pompey paid his train fare and when he eventually returned home he was the first car owner in Craghead. Allen was friendly with the Milburn's because of the North East connection and years after football my dad took Allen up there for a Milburn funeral which was also attended by the Charltons; Ashington footballing royalty all together. Allen had played for a football league representative XI during the war while at Pompey who were a top club then. No idea why he ended up at Town, but his career doesn't seem to have been all that long from his stats.

Allen Pringle played for Chesterfield mainly at right half from 1939/40 to 1945/6.

However his debut is listed as 1946 v York City in the FA cup.
This is because all his appearances throughout the conflict are not classed as first class games, being either friendlies or regional league and cup matches.
1939/40 has him listed as appearing against both Bradford Park Avenue and Manchester City which were the only football league games played before the cancellation of said season due to war being declared.
His actual debut was on 19/08/1939 at home against Barnsley in the football league benevolent fund game.
Games played : 185.
Goals : 17. Mainly when played as left winger.
Appearances and goals may be more as a number of games throughout this period have no available details.

#29 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2024 - 09:32 PM

ronpowellsbutler, on 26 January 2024 - 08:35 PM, said:

I don't remember him I'm afraid.
Speaking of Scottish inside forwards, I was a big fan of Andy McQuarrie.. Thought he was a class act but apparently carried an injury so we didn't see the best of him.

Talented lad Andy - I studied Chemistry part-time with him at Chesterfield Tech/ Sheffield Polytechnic . Pretty good on the pitch and pretty good on a piano as well.

#30 User is offline   Collingham Spireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 January 2024 - 10:48 PM

spireitenag, on 27 January 2024 - 12:12 PM, said:

Allen Pringle played for Chesterfield mainly at right half from 1939/40 to 1945/6.

However his debut is listed as 1946 v York City in the FA cup.
This is because all his appearances throughout the conflict are not classed as first class games, being either friendlies or regional league and cup matches.
1939/40 has him listed as appearing against both Bradford Park Avenue and Manchester City which were the only football league games played before the cancellation of said season due to war being declared.
His actual debut was on 19/08/1939 at home against Barnsley in the football league benevolent fund game.
Games played : 185.
Goals : 17. Mainly when played as left winger.
Appearances and goals may be more as a number of games throughout this period have no available details.

Thanks for this, much obliged.

#31 User is offline   spireitenag 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 January 2024 - 10:51 AM

Collingham Spireite, on 27 January 2024 - 10:48 PM, said:

Thanks for this, much obliged.

Glad to help.
Regards.
Nigel.

Share this topic: