Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Sad News - Steve Allen Rip - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sad News - Steve Allen Rip Another Spire-ite In Heaven

#61 User is offline   Colin Mitchell 

• Trialist
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

As nobody has done it yet I thought I'd get the ball rolling

Here (hopefully) are a couple of low quality photos but for me have high quality memories

Photo 1 is a team photo taken on Dec 7th 1974 just before playing Aldershot supporters - Steve is front row 3rd from right.

Photo 2 is same date in a room somewhere in Aldershot with us celebrating our 4-1 defeat! - Steve is wearing glasses holding one end of the 'Chesterfield' scarf.

Attached File  MSG Team Photo v Aldershot -msg.jpg (643.2K)
Number of downloads: 644

Attached File  MSG Celebration at Aldershot.jpg (402.79K)
Number of downloads: 608

#62 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

Colin Mitchell, on 27 September 2012 - 01:03 PM, said:

Here (hopefully) are a couple of low quality photos but for me have high quality memories

Photo 1 is a team photo taken on Dec 7th 1974 just before playing Aldershot supporters - Steve is front row 3rd from right.

Photo 2 is same date in a room somewhere in Aldershot with us celebrating our 4-1 defeat! - Steve is wearing glasses holding one end of the 'Chesterfield' scarf.

MSG Team Photo v Aldershot -msg.jpg

MSG Celebration at Aldershot.jpg

Good pics i don't think i knew him,but remember back then long hair was in,even i used to have long hair and remember the Watney party 7 tins,how old was he by the way .....

#63 User is offline   Colin Mitchell 

• Trialist
  • PipPip

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

Just discovered a more recent pic

Attached File  Northampton_IMG_0318.JPG (571.95K)
Number of downloads: 609

#64 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

Colin Mitchell, on 27 September 2012 - 01:30 PM, said:

Northampton_IMG_0318.JPG

OMG i did know him,he always came in Miners on Sanforth Street pre game most games.....new him from way back but never knew his name...

#65 User is offline   sky is blue 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

Yeh I reconnise him from these old photos I thought it was him before I saw them from what people have said on here. I used to chat to him in the Saltergate club before games, a really friendly guy with great knowledge of the game and a dry sense of humour such a sad loss RIP Steve

#66 User is offline   Hector 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Northampton_IMG_0318.JPG

That is quite a photo.

Excellent shot of Saltergate and a nice shot of Steve, both of which are now sadly lost but will never be forgotten.

RIP

#67 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

More mature posters may recall Steve aged 18 or 19 here on holiday in Porec circa 71-72. Front row left.

Steve back row 4th from left. As centre-half, perhaps in his prime, with the long hair affectionally remembered by Steve Greenwood. Did the business. He scared me and I was on the same side. Steve actually played the second half of a pre-season friendly with, I kid you not, a broken leg.

Steve at the last home game at Saltergate.

#68 User is offline   danarcher 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

I have just taken the liberty of calling the Fashion Police and you are all under arrest!!

Dan

#69 User is offline   Sabreman 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

I didn't know the chap but have seen him out and about, a tragic loss it seems as he's very warmly remembered especially when you can put a face to the name, it's very humbling to come across such fondness for a fellow Spireite.

Respectful condolences to his family and all who knew him
" He who laughs when things go wrong.....has just thought of someone else to blame it on "

#70 User is offline   Scooby Doo 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:28 PM

Northampton_IMG_0318.JPG

I didn't recognise him from the early photo's but this latest one has really hit home. I used to stand near Steve in the Kop always had a good chat with him. He was as everyone has already said a smashing bloke.

RIP Steve you will be sorely missed.
Onwards & Upwards!

#71 Guest_djs_*

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Bluddie ell I do know him I just knew him as Steve, Dave Hattersley introduced us some years ago (25 odd yrs to be exact), When I used to knock about with the lads from Barlow. I'm truly shocked now! Used to see him in the Royal Oak in the Shambles most fridays/ Saturdays. I'm speechless now.

#72 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

djs, on 27 September 2012 - 03:32 PM, said:

Bluddie ell I do know him I just knew him as Steve, Dave Hattersley introduced us some years ago (25 odd yrs to be exact), When I used to knock about with the lads from Barlow. I'm truly shocked now! Used to see him in the Royal Oak in the Shambles most fridays/ Saturdays. I'm speechless now.

I knew David from them days only time i see him now is at damn funerals and they are getting more often.....

#73 Guest_djs_*

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

Are Hattersleys doing the funeral?

#74 User is online   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

frearsghost, on 27 September 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

More mature posters may recall Steve aged 18 or 19 here on holiday in Porec circa 71-72. Front row left.

Steve back row 4th from left. As centre-half, perhaps in his prime, with the long hair affectionally remembered by Steve Greenwood. Did the business. He scared me and I was on the same side. Steve actually played the second half of a pre-season friendly with, I kid you not, a broken leg.

Steve at the last home game at Saltergate.

Great pictures John, I was with Steve in the morning of the last match at Saltergate, we bumped into each other at the Pomegranate, we were both getting tickets for the end of an era event there. We had an hour to kill so popped down to the Spa Lane vaults, It was great to spend some of the last day with a Saltergate legend

Like the town bag next to Steve on the holiday pic, and the AFC Saltergate photo is a classic (first season ?) I need a rummage in the loft for one with Steve on from the mid 80's.

I've also got a video clip somewhere from 92/93 when Steve was manager (we had become St Helens then) with him doing a half time team talk that started as most did with "you're a bloody shambles" will look at getting it loaded onto you tube

#75 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:23 PM

djs, on 27 September 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

Are Hattersleys doing the funeral?

i often wonder why people take up the thankless task of reffing a match at grassroots level they are an essential part of the game,ask anybody who has played without a ref and its horrible.Now i know why our resident forum referee clarevoyant took it up, the years of non stop abuse he got over that haircut,it was obviously payback time......sorry to hear about the loss of a good friend mick and condolences to the family.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#76 User is online   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

fantastic pics Colin, really catches the era

#77 User is offline   Heavy_Soul 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

From the pictures I also know the bloke.

RIP mate. It's always that bit more shocking when you realise you do know the person.
Every need got an ego to feed

#78 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

Unfortunately, I have to inform, all concerned, that the funeral of Steve Allen has been put on hold much to everyones' distress. With the death being sudden, a Coroner's report was a statutary requirement, something the family was assured wouldn't be a problem. However I am led to understand that there has been a problem (so much for professional info)with one of the reports and the Coroner has requested for a specific test to be re-assesed.

Therefore, everything has been put back until Monday 8th October @ 2.30pm.

I have been asked to apologise on the families' behalf for any inconvenience caused.I personally know this is not necessary, because of how people on here have reacted which has been fantastic and I know you will bear with us
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#79 User is online   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

Message to Andy, Steve's brother, I'm trying to get your account approved so you can post. I can't send you a personal message until then, hence this one here

#80 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:35 PM

I didnt know Steve but I know his brother Andy. My sincerest condolences mate.

Also in that holiday pic, why did you all decide to take Mark Allot with you? (front row right)
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users